Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A New Stadium 00:45 - Mar 6 with 3823 viewsBoston

Watched some of Orlando's season opener, first game in their new stadium, one end is all standing. Think Beckham may be an investor.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

A New Stadium on 02:51 - Mar 6 with 3783 viewsFredManRave

I've already seen way too much of Orlando, thank you very much.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

A New Stadium on 11:09 - Mar 6 with 3618 viewsTacticalR

There was an article in the Guardian last week that ranked it the top MLS stadium

MLS stadiums ranked: why Orlando City's new home comes out on top
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/24/ranking-mls-stadiums-soccer-orl

One thing that is strange is that the 25,000 capacity is smaller than the 31,000 average attendance at the American football stadium where they have been playing.

Air hostess clique

A New Stadium on 11:28 - Mar 6 with 3583 viewsisawqpratwcity

Yeah, it looks good.

That's a strange article though: the San Jose Earthquakes last year fitted an average of nearly 20k into their 18k stadium, and the top three stadiums (stadia?...stadia!) all managed to beat the maximum score of 25 points.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

A New Stadium on 11:56 - Mar 6 with 3545 viewsTacticalR

A New Stadium on 11:28 - Mar 6 by isawqpratwcity

Yeah, it looks good.

That's a strange article though: the San Jose Earthquakes last year fitted an average of nearly 20k into their 18k stadium, and the top three stadiums (stadia?...stadia!) all managed to beat the maximum score of 25 points.

Another thing that was strange about the article was that it didn't have any pictures of the stadiums (I think that is more commonly used than 'stadia').

Air hostess clique

A New Stadium on 12:44 - Mar 6 with 3446 viewsthame_hoops

Surprised they didn't put a roof on it to protect fans from the sun
A New Stadium on 14:07 - Mar 6 with 3326 viewsBoston

Yeah, it looks good.

Yeah, Kansas also exceeds their capacity on average attendances....must be a lot bunking in. Agree with the view of Gillette Stadium, was a S/T holder there for years, went to the first ever fixture, walked around during construction etc, never liked the place.

A New Stadium on 14:09 - Mar 6 with 3314 viewsBoston

Yeah, it looks good.

I have a job running at the Mother in Law of the Guardian's American editior, see him occasionally, I'll pass on your observation.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2017 18:25]

A New Stadium on 16:34 - Mar 6 with 3200 viewsbarbicanranger

Yeah, it looks good.

SJ Quakes were my local team... I think it's because the deal in these new US stadiums is they have these standing / casual spaces (something that would never work in the UK, especially at football) so the actual seating capacity of the stadium may be lower than the attendance.

At SJ there is an open grassy area behind one of the goals with a huge bar and a grassed terrace standing area - I used to watch from there and the tickets are cheaper than having a seat. The Levis Stadium (new home of the 49ers) is the same - it has huge concourses that they sell cheaper standing tickets to.

Login to get fewer ads

A New Stadium on 18:34 - Mar 6 with 3075 viewsBoston

A New Stadium on 16:34 - Mar 6 by barbicanranger

SJ Quakes were my local team... I think it's because the deal in these new US stadiums is they have these standing / casual spaces (something that would never work in the UK, especially at football) so the actual seating capacity of the stadium may be lower than the attendance.

At SJ there is an open grassy area behind one of the goals with a huge bar and a grassed terrace standing area - I used to watch from there and the tickets are cheaper than having a seat. The Levis Stadium (new home of the 49ers) is the same - it has huge concourses that they sell cheaper standing tickets to.

Nice pics....did Mrs Barbican not get pissed off having to stand up on date nights?

A New Stadium on 19:20 - Mar 6 with 3004 viewsStpeteR

The stadium is covered. I can only assume the pic was prior to completion.

http://at.wftv.com/2mqgzYY

Beckham is not an investor. He is mired in a long slog to acquire land in Miami that a stadium can be built on with city approval. (His group is on their 4th proposed site) Orlando is owned by a Brazilian Billionaire.

Not sure why they didn't choose the larger of the two proposed options for stadium design that were kicked around. The team averaged 32k a game last year and has sold out every single ticket to their home fixtures this season. Considering this example as well as Atlanta United's 30k season ticket holders and it sure seems like we Americans may have an growing appetite for this game of footy.
A New Stadium on 21:46 - Mar 6 with 2898 viewsisawqpratwcity

A New Stadium on 16:34 - Mar 6 by barbicanranger

Looks good!

Clearly they have a fair standing area; that's an encouraging trend for football with higher-capacity small stadiums, cheaper entry and better atmosphere.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

A New Stadium on 22:33 - Mar 6 with 2861 viewsBoston

A New Stadium on 21:46 - Mar 6 by isawqpratwcity

Looks good!

Clearly they have a fair standing area; that's an encouraging trend for football with higher-capacity small stadiums, cheaper entry and better atmosphere.

Better Atmosphere....a couple of southern sun drenched pints help. Unlike Gillette, where the Kraft family are paranoid about anyone getting pissed. Loads of bars but the Spanish Inquisition when purchasing (to be fair, it's the BS New England way).

A New Stadium on 22:37 - Mar 6 with 2855 viewsBoston

A New Stadium on 19:20 - Mar 6 by StpeteR

The stadium is covered. I can only assume the pic was prior to completion.

http://at.wftv.com/2mqgzYY

Beckham is not an investor. He is mired in a long slog to acquire land in Miami that a stadium can be built on with city approval. (His group is on their 4th proposed site) Orlando is owned by a Brazilian Billionaire.

Not sure why they didn't choose the larger of the two proposed options for stadium design that were kicked around. The team averaged 32k a game last year and has sold out every single ticket to their home fixtures this season. Considering this example as well as Atlanta United's 30k season ticket holders and it sure seems like we Americans may have an growing appetite for this game of footy.

I like that Orlando broadcasts its games on What The Fck TV.

A New Stadium on 09:03 - Mar 7 with 2712 viewsbarbicanranger

A New Stadium on 18:34 - Mar 6 by Boston

Nice pics....did Mrs Barbican not get pissed off having to stand up on date nights?

Ha, she was pissed off just being at the football - having a bar and grass to sit on was the only way I could convince her to go.
A New Stadium on 13:29 - May 20 with 2407 viewsTacticalR

An article looking at the trials and tribulations of Beckham's new stadium in Miami...

'Leiweke, a veteran of 19 stadium builds, admitted, “I’ve never had a more difficult process than this.”

To understand why, and to understand the continued local scepticism despite endless accommodations from the Beckham group, is to understand Miami itself.

It starts with the taxpayer-funded Miami Marlins baseball stadium, where an initial $490m public investment will rise to an estimated $2.4bn over the next 40 years. The team’s reviled owner, Jeffrey Loria is currently preparing to sell the team to a Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush-led group for a reported $1.3bn. None of the proceeds from that robbery will go back into the public pot.'

'This is our last chance,' says Beckham group before MLS Miami stadium vote
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/19/miami-mls-stadium-david-beckham
[Post edited 20 May 2017 13:30]

Air hostess clique

A New Stadium on 20:04 - May 20 with 2205 viewsdigswellhoop

why are we do we will not fill a 40000 ground if /when we have a squad to stay in prem
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024