Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. 23:46 - Mar 15 with 6889 viewsFredManRave

My old favourite Red Top Headline was the one that surfaced when it became known that Ronnie Wood was dating a young petiite Russian girl, "Little Red Riding Wood". Brilliant.

And moving with the times I've just seen the hashtag relating to Ed Sheerans latest long play warblings #sheeranalbumparty

Anymore worth a LOL?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 23:50 - Mar 15 with 5949 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 23:51 - Mar 15 with 5948 viewsDeepcutHoop

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 23:54 - Mar 15 with 5944 viewsDeepcutHoop

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 23:50 - Mar 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

That one was a rip-off of a Liverpool Echo one about Ian Callaghan tearing us a new one.

'Super Cally goes ballistic, QPR atrocious.' scans much better IMO
[Post edited 15 Mar 2017 23:55]
Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 00:01 - Mar 16 with 5934 viewsFredManRave

I've got the Power.

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 08:16 - Mar 16 with 5820 viewsNW5Hoop

Classic NOTW headline, from a piece in which they sent a reporter in to Broadmoor to have tea with whichever Kray it was there. "I could murder another McVitie."

My favourite one I ever wrote, for a medical magazine, was a piece by Roy Castle about his cancer treatment: "Medication, that's what you need."

The greatest headline ever came from the New York Posy - a headline so admired by journalists that when the copy editor who wrote it died in 2015, there were news stories about it around the world: "Headless body found in topless bar".
Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 09:02 - Mar 16 with 5769 viewsloftinoz

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 08:16 - Mar 16 by NW5Hoop

Classic NOTW headline, from a piece in which they sent a reporter in to Broadmoor to have tea with whichever Kray it was there. "I could murder another McVitie."

My favourite one I ever wrote, for a medical magazine, was a piece by Roy Castle about his cancer treatment: "Medication, that's what you need."

The greatest headline ever came from the New York Posy - a headline so admired by journalists that when the copy editor who wrote it died in 2015, there were news stories about it around the world: "Headless body found in topless bar".

My favourite has always been "zip me up before you go-go" when George Michael was caught in the bogs.
Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 09:10 - Mar 16 with 5760 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 10:21 - Mar 16 with 5707 viewsWokingR

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 09:10 - Mar 16 by Metallica_Hoop

"Free Turtles Photos" almost tops it for me
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 10:56 - Mar 16 with 5677 viewsJacksDad

Euro 2000......

Holland Vs Czech Rep

The orangey boys lose 3-2

The monster Jaap Stam suffers a shocking injury to his eye during a clash of heads

The SUN says....... "Dutch have problem with Jaaps eye"!
Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 11:16 - Mar 16 with 5655 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This made me laugh last year.

Followed by..

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 11:49 - Mar 16 with 5626 viewsTacticalR

Fritz Spiegl's 'Keep Taking the Tabloids' explains various aspects of tabloid-speak e.g. an ambulance trip is always a 'mercy dash'.

A recently republished history of the Sun:

Air hostess clique

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 15:33 - Mar 16 with 5548 viewsderbyhoop

O from the 1970s.
Gerry Queen got sent off for fighting during a game at Selhurst Park leading to the headline "Queen in brawl at Palace".

and a political one from the 1980s when Michael Foot was Labour leader. He asked a question in Parliament about the Chairman of a well known defence supplier was a providing money to the National Front.
"Foot knows arms body head backs front muscle".

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 15:37 - Mar 16 with 5538 viewsDannyPaddox

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 09:10 - Mar 16 by Metallica_Hoop

Turtles? coming tomorrow?

[Post edited 16 Mar 2017 15:39]
Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 16:01 - Mar 16 with 5496 viewsBrianMcCarthy

My favourite is when an African village in imminent danger from a huge elephant stampede hired a musician to scare them away with a loud didgeridoo.

"Trunk Call Reverses Charge".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 16:02 - Mar 16 with 5495 viewsBrianMcCarthy

And this one, which was the opposite of clever...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 16:54 - Mar 16 with 5445 viewsqueensparker

There was a story a while back about a guy who escaped from an asylum, broke into a laundrette and sexually assaulted some of the staff.

Nut Screws Washers And Bolts
Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 17:42 - Mar 16 with 5401 viewsMrSheen

The US entertainment industry trade paper "Variety" ran an article in 1935 about the lack of interest in country areas about films set on farms, or "Sticks Nix Hick Pix".
Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 18:06 - Mar 16 with 5378 viewsFredManRave

Amen to all of the below;

I've got the Power.

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 19:02 - Mar 16 with 5320 viewsNov77

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 21:37 - Mar 16 with 5228 viewsLblock

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 23:50 - Mar 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

Christ Bazza my old darling....that's EXACTLY the first one that popped into my head
We're almost thinking alike these days

An absolute classic
[Post edited 16 Mar 2017 21:41]

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 21:50 - Mar 16 with 5206 viewsjohncharles

The batsman's Holding, the bowlers Willey

Strong and stable my arse.

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 22:31 - Mar 16 with 5163 viewsBoston

Thirty five(ish) years ago, somewhere in the back pages of (possibly) the Daily Mail in the incy wincy sports reports.....

Yachting Results
Tornado Class....cancelled, high winds.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2017 22:31]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 22:48 - Mar 16 with 5134 viewsFredManRave

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 21:50 - Mar 16 by johncharles

The batsman's Holding, the bowlers Willey

Ah, yes. A classic. And another from Johnston was, "“There’s Neil Harvey standing at leg slip, legs wide apart, waiting for a tickle.”

And a few lesser known classics to get your laughing gear round;

New Zealand Rugby Commentator — ‘Andrew Mehrtens loves it when Daryl Gibson comes inside of him.’

Pat Glenn, weightlifting commentator — ‘And this is Gregoriava from Bulgaria . I saw her snatch this morning and it was amazing!’

Harry Carpenter at the Oxford-Cambridge boat race 1977 — ‘Ah, isn’t that nice. The wife of the Cambridge President is kissing the Cox of the Oxford crew.’

Mike Hallett discussing missed snooker shots on ‘Sky Sports’: ‘Stephen Hendry jumps on Steve Davis’s misses every chance he gets.’

A female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and didn’t, turned to the weatherman and asked, ‘So Bob, where’s that eight inches you promised me last night?’ Not only did HE have to leave the set, but half the crew did too, because they were laughing so hard!

I've got the Power.

Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 23:08 - Mar 16 with 5117 viewsbrewers_hoop

After QPR, under Francis, won 1-0 at Coventry to go top of the inaugural Premier League..
GERRY AND THE PACEMAKERS
Favourite play on words, Headline, Hashtag etc. on 03:49 - Mar 17 with 5047 viewsFredManRave

Saving the best 'till last;

I've got the Power.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024