Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
germany v england 22:44 - Mar 20 with 10071 viewsbob566

No threads yet. Does everyone hate international ball these days?
germany v england on 22:54 - Mar 20 with 5298 viewssmegma

My flight is at 3.40pm from Heathrow tomorrow. After a flying visit to Harlington with a group of fellow Rs to watch the first team train.
germany v england on 23:03 - Mar 20 with 5292 viewsN12Hoop

Competitive Internationals involving England are generally sh1t.

Friendly internationals involving England aren't worth crossing the road to watch.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

germany v england on 23:21 - Mar 20 with 5261 viewsRs_Holy

germany v england on 23:03 - Mar 20 by N12Hoop

Competitive Internationals involving England are generally sh1t.

Friendly internationals involving England aren't worth crossing the road to watch.

This
germany v england on 00:00 - Mar 21 with 5216 viewsTacticalR

@N12Hoop 'Competitive Internationals involving England are generally sh1t.'

They normally involve England making a hard exit.

Air hostess clique

germany v england on 00:03 - Mar 21 with 5218 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Did anyone really imagine themselves not giving a flying feck about Germany v England in any kind of fixture?

Sad days indeed.
germany v england on 00:20 - Mar 21 with 5205 viewsisawqpratwcity

germany v england on 00:03 - Mar 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Did anyone really imagine themselves not giving a flying feck about Germany v England in any kind of fixture?

Sad days indeed.

We beat them in the only two that counted.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

germany v england on 06:15 - Mar 21 with 5105 viewsLblock

This sums it up for me:-

We have a German supplier doing a job for us this year. A progress meeting is arranged for Wednesday morning and all flights etc can be put on expenses. I turned down the trip. I had no idea England were playing over there until this Saturday just gone

Spoke with a staunch England fan from these parts on Sunday who likewise didn't know the game was on.

Amazing. If you'd of told me that a few years back I'd of said you were mad as we were both club and country at all times. I'm drifting further and further away from top flight football. Next step is getting round to cancelling Sky which I keep promising to do!!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

germany v england on 07:09 - Mar 21 with 5054 viewseasthertsr

The reason is simple, for a variety of reasons the England team has been really poor for ages. The managers chosen have been dire and the players look like they don't want to be there in case they get injured. I think the Iceland defeat was the final straw for lots of people.
Login to get fewer ads

germany v england on 07:21 - Mar 21 with 5038 viewskingsburyR

Rather watch countryfile

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

germany v england on 07:42 - Mar 21 with 5009 viewssmegma

germany v england on 06:15 - Mar 21 by Lblock

This sums it up for me:-

We have a German supplier doing a job for us this year. A progress meeting is arranged for Wednesday morning and all flights etc can be put on expenses. I turned down the trip. I had no idea England were playing over there until this Saturday just gone

Spoke with a staunch England fan from these parts on Sunday who likewise didn't know the game was on.

Amazing. If you'd of told me that a few years back I'd of said you were mad as we were both club and country at all times. I'm drifting further and further away from top flight football. Next step is getting round to cancelling Sky which I keep promising to do!!!!

A staunch England fan didn't know the game was on ???? He's not a staunch fan then, is he ??? Has he got England tattoos?? Game was announced back in October as a testimonial for Lukas Podolski.

Ive always wanted to visit Dortmunds ground but the capacity is reduced for Germany games. Got two games to go to, the German Football Museum is in Dortmund, Borussia have a museum and Germany has the best beers in the world. What's not to like ????
germany v england on 08:01 - Mar 21 with 4997 viewsMonahoop

germany v england on 07:42 - Mar 21 by smegma

A staunch England fan didn't know the game was on ???? He's not a staunch fan then, is he ??? Has he got England tattoos?? Game was announced back in October as a testimonial for Lukas Podolski.

Ive always wanted to visit Dortmunds ground but the capacity is reduced for Germany games. Got two games to go to, the German Football Museum is in Dortmund, Borussia have a museum and Germany has the best beers in the world. What's not to like ????

Staunch England fan? Do people who prefer country over club really exist? I bet he claims to be a staunch Man Utd fan, but ask him who they are playing next and you will be guaranteed a blank stare.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

germany v england on 08:07 - Mar 21 with 4971 viewssmegma

germany v england on 08:01 - Mar 21 by Monahoop

Staunch England fan? Do people who prefer country over club really exist? I bet he claims to be a staunch Man Utd fan, but ask him who they are playing next and you will be guaranteed a blank stare.

Reminds me of an ex work colleague. He had an ink sleeve on one arm. One tattoo depicted St George slaying a dragon. He also had a St George cross. One year on 23rd April he asked another colleague why he was wearing a real red rose and a St George cross badge.
germany v england on 08:31 - Mar 21 with 4954 viewspaulparker

I would say many moons that I was country over club and that I would take a World cup win over QPR winning anything ,
wearing the 3 lions years ago was something you strived for and you wore that shirt with pride , Adams, Robson, Pearce, Butcher, Lineker,Sansom, Gazza,Ince, Shearer , would die for that badge none of them took their places for granted ,you could identify with these players they wanted it so much, you saw players like Wilkins, Hoddle, Currie,Wright who should have got a 100 caps but didn't and you could see the pain when they didn't get picked
seeing the likes of Fenwick, Les, Sinton, Parker play for England was something to shout about and made our little club more brilliant
now I couldn't give a rats fart ever since 2008 when we couldn't even qualify for a tournament with a bunch of millionaire pr1cks who only want caps so they can get a new contract with their club
the last Euros was worse than the 2010 world cup , ive never seen so much sh1t and passionless tvvats in all my life
I do have some hope with Southgate he wanted to play for England I don't agree with the appointment because we are scrapping the barrel this job should be the top job that everyone wants , the fact that no wants it and people like Alan fcking Pardew turning it down makes England a laughing stock
but at least with him we may see change, we may see players picked on form rather than reputation , we have the players for 3-5-2 I would love us to play like Leicester did the other week against Sevilla rather than the slow, slow hoof we normally do
if we can start playing with tempo and start getting the ball in the box first time I might start watching again , we do have the young players its if we start to play them in correct positions in the right system ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

germany v england on 08:54 - Mar 21 with 4923 viewsElHoop

Yeah I'll be watching. We are making some progress under Southgate, for the first time in yonks. Would be good to see us pick up from where we left off against Spain. The likes of Stones and Barkley are now being club managed by people with proper footballing brains, which can only help the national team. There's enough there to have cause for optimism.
germany v england on 08:58 - Mar 21 with 4909 viewsWokingR

germany v england on 07:21 - Mar 21 by kingsburyR

Rather watch countryfile

You can't beat a bit of Ellie

germany v england on 09:01 - Mar 21 with 4902 viewssimmo

Pardew wouldn't turn the England job down, not sure where that has come from.

Either way I like England a lot more now than I used to, the first squad where the likes of Ali, Lallana, Dier and Stones replaces Rooney, Lampard, Terry and the other cnts. I'm not expecting anything decent, but at least there's players I actually like and want to do well

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

germany v england on 09:03 - Mar 21 with 4896 viewsSuffolk

I feel pretty disinterested at the moment but after a couple of pints I will be ready to parachute in at a moments notice.
germany v england on 11:59 - Mar 21 with 4777 viewsNorthernr

Football could learn from rugby union on this. It's all in the branding.

So on Saturday night we had an absolute dead rubber between Ireland and England. The Six Nations was decided weeks ago with England somehow amassing 18 points from four matches (how does that happen? You get a point for turning up or something?) and the chasers only had ten. So it was over. Meaningless match.

But no. Because apparently "the grand slam" is a thing. This consists of winning as many games in February and March as QPR have and it's a really, really big deal = ground full, pubs full of people RAAAAAAHING at the screen.

Towards the end of this year England will play several matches at Twickenham against South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, those sorts of teams. They're one offs, they count for nothing, meaningless showpiece matches. Now in football we call these 'international friendlies' and loads of people withdrawn injured and we make loads of substitutions and give caps to people like Francis Jeffers and what not - so nobody cares about them. But in rugby they call them THE AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS, which makes them a thing, so once again ground full, pubs full, everybody treating it like a big deal.

Maybe we could call this utterly meaningless Germany game THE SPRING INTERNATIONAL and go around talking about how monumentally exciting it is despite there being no points of trophy at stake and the game having no lasting consequences beyond the final whistle whatsoever.

It's about branding lads.
germany v england on 12:09 - Mar 21 with 4745 viewskingsburyR

Rugby has a lot going for itself over football.

We can still relate to the players as they are not stuck up their own ars.es.

Regardess of what colour top they wear its an HONOUR to be picked for your country. (Step forward Ryan Giggs).

Over the last 15-20 years how many different teams have won the Rugby European Cup? (The Champions league is a bore fest)

Internationals stoke up pasion and interest to not only rugby fans but most sports fans in general.....as I said earlier I'd take Countryfile over and England International.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

germany v england on 12:12 - Mar 21 with 4735 viewsBluce_Ree

I hardly watch any football these days because I hate all of it but here's the hierarchy of what I watch.

1. QPR games

2. Prem/league/Champions League/womens/U-21/England/misc/Disney Soccer on Ice/Charity football games with James Corden/foreign leagues.

3. Scottish football.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

germany v england on 12:39 - Mar 21 with 4693 viewsDorse

germany v england on 11:59 - Mar 21 by Northernr

So on Saturday night we had an absolute dead rubber between Ireland and England. The Six Nations was decided weeks ago with England somehow amassing 18 points from four matches (how does that happen? You get a point for turning up or something?) and the chasers only had ten. So it was over. Meaningless match.

But no. Because apparently "the grand slam" is a thing. This consists of winning as many games in February and March as QPR have and it's a really, really big deal = ground full, pubs full of people RAAAAAAHING at the screen.

Towards the end of this year England will play several matches at Twickenham against South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, those sorts of teams. They're one offs, they count for nothing, meaningless showpiece matches. Now in football we call these 'international friendlies' and loads of people withdrawn injured and we make loads of substitutions and give caps to people like Francis Jeffers and what not - so nobody cares about them. But in rugby they call them THE AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS, which makes them a thing, so once again ground full, pubs full, everybody treating it like a big deal.

Maybe we could call this utterly meaningless Germany game THE SPRING INTERNATIONAL and go around talking about how monumentally exciting it is despite there being no points of trophy at stake and the game having no lasting consequences beyond the final whistle whatsoever.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

germany v england on 12:39 - Mar 21 with 4688 viewsLblock

germany v england on 08:01 - Mar 21 by Monahoop

Frequents this very board

I'd say someone that goes to every home game; who has been to Moscow, Israel, most of Eastern Europe and even such wild backwards places as Scotland to watch England is "staunch".

But what I was trying to get across is the current malaise towards the England team

Anyway...........

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

germany v england on 13:23 - Mar 21 with 4613 viewsmakaveli1882

Looking for ward to tonight in Dusseldorf going to be some party.... like it always is!!

Always the same posts on here everytime England play a game, for people who dont care about it why talk or post about it or even watch it?

People who dont go to England dont care about the team which I can understand looking from a far, but the ones who do go dont really care about the fans moaning back home.

It's a great laugh going away with England - will be with fellow Rs tonight, fans from up and down the country from all 92 clubs and plenty of non league ..... drinking German beer, eating currywurst and going to Signal Iduna Park the famous home of Dortmund to watch Germany V England better than watching Emerdale farking farm
germany v england on 13:25 - Mar 21 with 4609 viewsbob566

germany v england on 11:59 - Mar 21 by Northernr

you have to have the players to buy into it mind you. The difference with rugby players is that if they don't take the autumn internationals seriously their unions will have no problem in dropping them from upcoming more meaningful squads where as in football they all seem to have the option of pulling out of friendlies and getting shoehorned into the next competitive match. Shouldn't work that way.
germany v england on 13:43 - Mar 21 with 4582 viewsAntti_Heinola

WHERE'S THE PASSION, LADS?!
PASSION!

I actually think international football is a great thing - money is important, but not anywhere as important as in club football. No transfers (except Costa to Spain), makes the playing field more even. Arguably Iceland, who had 10% of their entire population inside the stadium last year, is more incredible than what Leicester did - but also more possible, because if you do have a good crop come through at once, no one else can buy them off you. A truer test of coaching, if you like.

But friendlies bore the tits off me. It's no point PP harking back to the great days of Butcher etc, because in the 80s, outside of tournaments, it was no better. Just 24,000 for England v NI in one of the 'famed' home internationals in 1984. 38,000 v the Soviets the same year. They didn't even sell out Eng v Scot in 86 in the classic Rous Cup - 68,000 for that. 35,000 for a qualifier v NI in 86. England v chile in 1989 - 15000 AT WEMBLEY! 15,000!

What we remember are the great tournament campaigns, that's what we're nostalgic for. But enthusiasm for the national side peaked around 96-2004 - that was the exception, I'm afraid, not the norm.

there are tons of reasons for all this. but mainly it's that England aren't that good at the moment (plus the disconnect pp hints at between fans and players doesn't help - although there's so much anger there that every player gets tarred with the same brush these days). What they need is a good tournament and interest will pick up. Look at us. 11,000 the other week v Barnsley. If Ollie gets us into the top 6, next season that'll be 15-16,000. And if we're top 2 the Aunt Nellies who are nowhere to be seen at the moment will soon be back in force, crowing about how long they've supported the Rs, but obviously were totally unable to turn up, coincidentally, when things weren't going quite so well.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024