Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview 19:50 - Mar 23 with 6249 viewsNorthernr

Now, honestly, when Ron and I discussed hosting his former QPR peeps interviews from the QPRNet days on LFW, we didn't expect Richard Thompson to be the first person to respond. But here it is...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45348/richard-thomp
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 11:39 - Mar 24 with 2062 viewspaulparker

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 11:33 - Mar 24 by daveB

He sort of did after the Marsh thing but his relationship with Thompson had fallen apart by then and it came across to me that Thompson wanted him gone and knew this would be the way to make him walk rather than have to sack him. If Marsh hadn't come in I don't think Francis would have gone to Spurs a month later although i also don't think he'd have been our manager for much longer.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 11:38]

Gerry was also on his way to Wolves at this point as well , Thompson wanted rid of Gerry as Francis was fed up & quite rightly at seeing one of the best teams in Europe dismantled before him, Marsh was a patsy

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 11:51 - Mar 24 with 2048 viewskensalriser

Was it Thompson's fault we didn't buy the right players?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 12:13 - Mar 24 with 2018 viewspaulparker

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 11:51 - Mar 24 by kensalriser

Was it Thompson's fault we didn't buy the right players?

No

But it was Thompsons fault for asset stripping a top 5 premier league team for his own financial gains and giving Gerry peanuts for replacements
the man systematically tore QPR apart just when we were on the verge of doing something special , he didn't invest when we were top because he was a greedy cnt

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 12:52 - Mar 24 with 1937 viewskensalriser

Is there any evidence he asset stripped the club for personal financial gain?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 13:14 - Mar 24 with 1901 viewsLblock

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 08:43 - Mar 24 by paulparker

Interesting that he said Sinton wanted to go but im sure on the podcast sinton said he was forced and didn't want to leave , I wonder who the liar is
all in all a good interview but I would have liked to have seen the question as to why he didn't invest some money when Gerry had the team in the top 5 in 1993
a Kenny Cunningham , ian Bishop, alex rae , perhaps a collymore , could have propelled us into a title challenge , during this time we lost Wilkins for a while and had to play Maurice Doyle as back up , we did ever so well with the small squad we had but a couple of players like that could have seen us really challenge
we missed the boat big time when we were on the up we had a brilliant future possible England manager, brilliant players we had one of the top ten strikers in Europe in Les , we were a top 6 club but Thompson didn't want to take us forward only to take the cash
as a club we have never recovered and I think back to what might have been had he invested and backed Gerry , we wasted a massive chance to win trophies, play in Europe and develop as a football club , we will never have those days again in my lifetime
so Thompson can fcuking do one

It's a good job Maurice Doyle got picked around that time

Well, good for me anyway.... long story that one.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 13:18 - Mar 24 with 1887 viewsLblock

The photo in the banner -- isn't that Joe Hylton in the green jacket?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 13:30 - Mar 24 with 1858 viewsAntti_Heinola

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:28 - Mar 24 by Northernr

But to risk a relegation by allowing a talent drain like that to take place just as the Premier League TV money was about to explode - and everybody knew it was about to explode so there's no hindsight there - was short sighted and tight.

There were loads of good, affordable players around at that time who subsequently kept much smaller clubs and worse teams than ours in the Premier League having been bought for fees we could easily have afforded - Rae (Millwall to Sunderland), Keller (Millwall to Leicester), Booth (Huddersfield to Sheff Wed), Mendonca (Grimsby to Charlton), Matt Elliott (Oxford to Leicester), Purse (Oxford to Birmingham), Phillips (Watford to Sunderland). Even Spencer, who we bought after we went down, would have been decent if we'd done it 18 months sooner.

He can say well we had to balance the books and that's fine, I'm not advocating a Tony Fernandes style spree. But to get relegated out of the Premier League just as the TV money was getting massive for the sake of bunging £3m to Millwall, Grimsby and Oxford for three or four players was fcking stupid. We could have had Keller in goal, Elliott at centre back, Rae in midfield and Mendonca and Kevin Phillips up front for a relative pittance and we'd have been a Premier League mainstay for another decade.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A later mistake Wilkins made was not replacing Les before he left. We were linked with John Hartson a lot - had we got him in the January before Les went, given him time to settle in, he could've been great for us. Not in Les's league, but with Dichio and Gallen around that would have given us some proper firepower.

Bare bones.

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 14:13 - Mar 24 with 1784 viewsNorthernr

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 13:30 - Mar 24 by Antti_Heinola

A later mistake Wilkins made was not replacing Les before he left. We were linked with John Hartson a lot - had we got him in the January before Les went, given him time to settle in, he could've been great for us. Not in Les's league, but with Dichio and Gallen around that would have given us some proper firepower.

Andy Booth the same. Just a big fella for Gallen, Allen etc to play off would have done us.

Mind you what also gets lost in the Les sale is that Clive Wilson went (because we offered him a one year deal and Spurs offered him two, another nonsense), McDonald and Bardsley both got injured.

Still think with just a couple of the players on that list - Mendonca up front, Elliott at the back, Keller in goal, we'd have been absolutely fine.
Login to get fewer ads

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 14:42 - Mar 24 with 1740 viewspaulparker

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 14:13 - Mar 24 by Northernr

Andy Booth the same. Just a big fella for Gallen, Allen etc to play off would have done us.

Mind you what also gets lost in the Les sale is that Clive Wilson went (because we offered him a one year deal and Spurs offered him two, another nonsense), McDonald and Bardsley both got injured.

Still think with just a couple of the players on that list - Mendonca up front, Elliott at the back, Keller in goal, we'd have been absolutely fine.

Alex Rae , Ged Brannan, ian Bishop , bobby bowry , even kevin keen would have done in midfield

kevin Phillips, stan collymoore , jon goodman, andy booth , clive mendonca , mark Kennedy

Darren purse, Kenny Cunningham , neil emblen, des linton, matt Elliott

any 3 players out of that lot could have given us a chance of staying or competing in the top 6 the Scandinavian market was strong as well at that time , we didn't do anything , we asset stripped lost a potential England manager and a year later we ended up with Hateley, sommer, Zelic & , goodridge the rest is history

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:11 - Mar 24 with 1709 viewsNorthernr

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 14:42 - Mar 24 by paulparker

Alex Rae , Ged Brannan, ian Bishop , bobby bowry , even kevin keen would have done in midfield

kevin Phillips, stan collymoore , jon goodman, andy booth , clive mendonca , mark Kennedy

Darren purse, Kenny Cunningham , neil emblen, des linton, matt Elliott

any 3 players out of that lot could have given us a chance of staying or competing in the top 6 the Scandinavian market was strong as well at that time , we didn't do anything , we asset stripped lost a potential England manager and a year later we ended up with Hateley, sommer, Zelic & , goodridge the rest is history

Yeh, second biggest wasted opportunity in the club's history.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:12 - Mar 24 with 1709 viewsTheChef

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 14:13 - Mar 24 by Northernr

Absolutely no guarantee that we could finish higher than fifth (nice as that might be) but with added quality we would definitely have been an established Prem club for a good few years after 92/93. Although given how football has gone recently, and knowing QPR, there's always a good chance we could do a Coventry instead.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:29 - Mar 24 with 1682 viewsloftus77

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:28 - Mar 24 by Northernr

But to risk a relegation by allowing a talent drain like that to take place just as the Premier League TV money was about to explode - and everybody knew it was about to explode so there's no hindsight there - was short sighted and tight.

There were loads of good, affordable players around at that time who subsequently kept much smaller clubs and worse teams than ours in the Premier League having been bought for fees we could easily have afforded - Rae (Millwall to Sunderland), Keller (Millwall to Leicester), Booth (Huddersfield to Sheff Wed), Mendonca (Grimsby to Charlton), Matt Elliott (Oxford to Leicester), Purse (Oxford to Birmingham), Phillips (Watford to Sunderland). Even Spencer, who we bought after we went down, would have been decent if we'd done it 18 months sooner.

He can say well we had to balance the books and that's fine, I'm not advocating a Tony Fernandes style spree. But to get relegated out of the Premier League just as the TV money was getting massive for the sake of bunging £3m to Millwall, Grimsby and Oxford for three or four players was fcking stupid. We could have had Keller in goal, Elliott at centre back, Rae in midfield and Mendonca and Kevin Phillips up front for a relative pittance and we'd have been a Premier League mainstay for another decade.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Stop it, Clive. It still hurts.

Forget the turbulence of recent years - the above still represents the biggest mistake in our history. At the very worst, we would have been the Charlton Athletic of the late 90s IMHO.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 15:36]
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:41 - Mar 24 with 1654 viewsBrightonhoop

Had forgotten how young he was.

Nobody came out of it smelling of roses.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:46 - Mar 24 with 1636 viewskensalriser

Gregory didn't exactly do a great job of consolidating on building the best side the club has ever seen and made some terrible managerial appointments post-Sexton.

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:54 - Mar 24 with 1617 viewspaulparker

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:46 - Mar 24 by kensalriser

Gregory didn't exactly do a great job of consolidating on building the best side the club has ever seen and made some terrible managerial appointments post-Sexton.

Terry Venables, Jim Smith ? yes Mullary was a mistake possibly Docherty to

But say what you want about Gregory but he rebuilt Loftus road making it 20 years a head of his time , we were promoted twice in the sixties , won the league cup , got to an FA cup final , promoted again to the top flight and then got to another league cup final
he oversaw and was instrumental in getting and selling players like Marsh, Allen, Morgan twins , Bowles , Thomas, , Parkes, Givens , webb, Goddard, Allen, Stainrod, Fenwick, Bannister, Byrne, Roeder, Hazel , Currie , Parker, Seamen

under Gregory we were successful for 20 years him and Thompson are night and day

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 17:14 - Mar 24 with 1369 viewsNW5Hoop

I know this is an unpopular view round here, but Thompson is the most unfairly maligned figure in QPR's recent history. It's a myth that everyone knew the PL money was about to explode - the huge increases in TV money came several years later (I've posted the figures on other threads before). He kept Les a year longer than Les wanted to stay; he gave all the Les money back; I completely believe the sales were to offset losses (we all think it's a good thing now that the club does not run up debts; the same applies); and it wasn't him who failed to buy the right players, it was managers.

But we always want an individual to blame when things go wrong.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2017 12:04]
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 18:50 - Mar 24 with 1326 viewsTGRRRSSS

WE missed the boat to a large degree in that we went down in May 1996 - then Euro96 happened and football properly changed from then.
Sky had already arrived well before, the figures were rising alot and to simply say well hindsight is a wonderful thing is true of many things, but as Sky had already long arrived it was fairly obvious how Sky were going and the future was already well under way.

It's a good interview but and credit to a degree to Thompson but I think there is a bit of leeway given him.

That said he's right where he says many up and coming players will want to leave QPR to go to a bigger club (such as in those days as now the likes of Man UNited, Spurs, Arsenal and Newcastle who were big spenders and with Peacock and Ferdinand almost won the league)

Sinton is a curious one but Thompson mentions Arsenal and Wednesday, I remember seeing a game against Wednesday where Sinton went off ( we eventually lost and highlights on You Tube (NYD 1994???...)
As I recall the abuse was based on Sinton wanting out and getting the move.

ONe of RT or Sinton is being economical - but if Arsenal were in for Sinton you can see his interest, another rumour at the time was Sinton wanted to return to the north or be nearer the northeast and Sheffield was the best available option.
Whether that's true I don't know.

Hardly matters any more,

What isn't in doubt is Thompson took the view we could go down and come straight back up and that was the big failing, where he failed to see the bigger picture.
That was comfortably proven over many years.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 18:57 - Mar 24 with 1308 viewsLblock

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:54 - Mar 24 by paulparker

Terry Venables, Jim Smith ? yes Mullary was a mistake possibly Docherty to

But say what you want about Gregory but he rebuilt Loftus road making it 20 years a head of his time , we were promoted twice in the sixties , won the league cup , got to an FA cup final , promoted again to the top flight and then got to another league cup final
he oversaw and was instrumental in getting and selling players like Marsh, Allen, Morgan twins , Bowles , Thomas, , Parkes, Givens , webb, Goddard, Allen, Stainrod, Fenwick, Bannister, Byrne, Roeder, Hazel , Currie , Parker, Seamen

under Gregory we were successful for 20 years him and Thompson are night and day

He's only right again that PP fella!

The executive boxes at W12 - cutting edge back then. Not many had them.
I didn't agree with them then and the capacity loss caused (still dont) but it was visionary back then

Jimmy G is a throwback though, he'd not survive now.

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 19:00 - Mar 24 with 1304 viewsTGRRRSSS

DIsagree - David Dein and Daniel Levy are cut from a similar cloth I reckon in terms of running football clubs (ok Dein has gone but you get the point).
Gregory was of his time, but sure he'd be able to adapt to run a club even today.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 19:10 - Mar 24 with 1301 viewsSnipper

I remember Wilkins describing Goodridge as the black Ryan Giggs.

He was more like the black Ronnie Biggs.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 19:20 - Mar 24 with 1280 viewsconnell10

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 17:14 - Mar 24 by NW5Hoop

I know this is an unpopular view round here, but Thompson is the most unfairly maligned figure in QPR's recent history. It's a myth that everyone knew the PL money was about to explode - the huge increases in TV money came several years later (I've posted the figures on other threads before). He kept Les a year longer than Les wanted to stay; he gave all the Les money back; I completely believe the sales were to offset losses (we all think it's a good thing now that the club does not run up debts; the same applies); and it wasn't him who failed to buy the right players, it was managers.

But we always want an individual to blame when things go wrong.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2017 12:04]

Sorry mate I couldn't disagree more , Thompson was , still is and forever will be a snidey, self serving , horrible little shit in my eyes and a majority of fans who were actually following the club at the time! He totally deserved everything he got and if I ever saw him at loftus road I'd tell him exactly what I thought of him!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 19:38 - Mar 24 with 1254 viewsRoller

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 19:20 - Mar 24 by connell10

Sorry mate I couldn't disagree more , Thompson was , still is and forever will be a snidey, self serving , horrible little shit in my eyes and a majority of fans who were actually following the club at the time! He totally deserved everything he got and if I ever saw him at loftus road I'd tell him exactly what I thought of him!!

I'm not saying this is the case, but has it crossed your mind that you may have misjudged the situation in your youthful naivety?

As Kenelriser asked "Is there any evidence he asset stripped the club for personal financial gain?"

Ron, if you are out there, how genuine did you feel he was during your interview?
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 20:13 - Mar 24 with 1222 viewsdistortR

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 19:38 - Mar 24 by Roller

I'm not saying this is the case, but has it crossed your mind that you may have misjudged the situation in your youthful naivety?

As Kenelriser asked "Is there any evidence he asset stripped the club for personal financial gain?"

Ron, if you are out there, how genuine did you feel he was during your interview?

Why would anyone trust a word Thompson said? Bought, split up and sold a lot of companies. One motive only.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 20:21 - Mar 24 with 1213 viewsbosh67

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:33 - Mar 23 by Northernr

The picture in the story is from a 1-0 home win against Wimbledon, There was definitely a pitch invasion against Leeds in the 4-0 game, led by Denise (I think) waving her shirt around her head.

Two things about that... The Leeds fans afterwards, having won 4-0, were singing "We want Thompson in" and of course they got their wish.

Secondly, my inappropriate grandfather ended up sitting next to Denise in a pub at Sheffield Wednesday a week later and (as she'd removed the shirt, but not the bra) told her that "we were all proud of you love but I must say I was disappointed..."

Having spoken to one of Thompson's best friends Francis did a number on him, and even worse, he did a number on the fans. He hasn't told the full story in the interview. Francis absolutely f*cked the club and fans over. Loved him as a player but he did a real number on all of us as a manager. When you know the whole story your respect for Gerry slips quite a few runs down the ladder.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 20:43 - Mar 24 with 1197 viewskensalriser

I do find this high-pitched, vitriolic ad hominem abuse gets really tiring, especially when it's based on opinions backed up with little or no evidence.

What is it about football that makes people so irrationally and disproportionately angry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024