Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview 19:50 - Mar 23 with 6248 viewsNorthernr

Now, honestly, when Ron and I discussed hosting his former QPR peeps interviews from the QPRNet days on LFW, we didn't expect Richard Thompson to be the first person to respond. But here it is...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45348/richard-thomp
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:26 - Mar 24 with 1256 viewsBrightonhoop

There was also a theory, and it was an unproven theory, that he relegated us to make the Club more saleable to Wright because he just wanted out by then.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 22:31 - Mar 24 with 1215 viewsdistortR

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 20:43 - Mar 24 by kensalriser

I do find this high-pitched, vitriolic ad hominem abuse gets really tiring, especially when it's based on opinions backed up with little or no evidence.

What is it about football that makes people so irrationally and disproportionately angry?

'liked' your post by mistake.

What is rational in supporting a football team?

I'll give what I get and I'll hate who I want.

In baritone.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 22:41 - Mar 24 with 1210 viewsKiwi76

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:11 - Mar 24 by Northernr

Yeh, second biggest wasted opportunity in the club's history.

100% agree & most important to me as was my era living there.
Everything went to/thru Les & while he was always going to leave for bigger, better things we just completely stuffed it up.
Pleasure to have enjoyed that side but still hurts how it ended.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 11:06 - Mar 25 with 1062 viewsfrancisbowles

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:46 - Mar 24 by kensalriser

Gregory didn't exactly do a great job of consolidating on building the best side the club has ever seen and made some terrible managerial appointments post-Sexton.

The problem with the 75/76 side was that they were nearly all very experienced pros and by the next year some of them were already getting past their peak. It was effectively a small squad and had little strength in depth. Our league form was mediocre and even though we had two good cup runs we let three goal leads slip twice in the Uefa and got stuffed by Villa in a sf replay. We also missed Gerry Francis for most of the season and he was plagued with a bad back after that.

Sexton knew the future was less than bright and he decided to move on. Originally he was going to Arsenal as coach, until Man U came calling with the manager's job. Many of the players left for whatever reason, Parkes, Clement, Masson, Givens.

So maybe some of his appointments were poor but there was little to consolidate really. However, we did start to bounce back when he appointed Venables which started with a cup final, a championship and led to thirteen years of top flight football.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 11:19 - Mar 25 with 1059 viewsparker64

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 11:06 - Mar 25 by francisbowles

The problem with the 75/76 side was that they were nearly all very experienced pros and by the next year some of them were already getting past their peak. It was effectively a small squad and had little strength in depth. Our league form was mediocre and even though we had two good cup runs we let three goal leads slip twice in the Uefa and got stuffed by Villa in a sf replay. We also missed Gerry Francis for most of the season and he was plagued with a bad back after that.

Sexton knew the future was less than bright and he decided to move on. Originally he was going to Arsenal as coach, until Man U came calling with the manager's job. Many of the players left for whatever reason, Parkes, Clement, Masson, Givens.

So maybe some of his appointments were poor but there was little to consolidate really. However, we did start to bounce back when he appointed Venables which started with a cup final, a championship and led to thirteen years of top flight football.

At the end of the 75/76 season I remember Emlyn Hughes saying in an interview what an excellent side Rangers were but that next season Liverpool would be up there again but Rangers would struggle.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 13:52 - Mar 25 with 1012 viewsfrancisbowles

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 11:19 - Mar 25 by parker64

At the end of the 75/76 season I remember Emlyn Hughes saying in an interview what an excellent side Rangers were but that next season Liverpool would be up there again but Rangers would struggle.

Yes and he was right. I can't really remember individual form that far back but it may have been a bit like Leicester. Players who played really well are a year older and everyone ups their game against you, good in Europe poor in the league. They lost Kante, we lost Francis until the Uefa quarters, I think.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 20:11 - Mar 26 with 766 viewsCamberleyR

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 15:54 - Mar 24 by paulparker

Terry Venables, Jim Smith ? yes Mullary was a mistake possibly Docherty to

But say what you want about Gregory but he rebuilt Loftus road making it 20 years a head of his time , we were promoted twice in the sixties , won the league cup , got to an FA cup final , promoted again to the top flight and then got to another league cup final
he oversaw and was instrumental in getting and selling players like Marsh, Allen, Morgan twins , Bowles , Thomas, , Parkes, Givens , webb, Goddard, Allen, Stainrod, Fenwick, Bannister, Byrne, Roeder, Hazel , Currie , Parker, Seamen

under Gregory we were successful for 20 years him and Thompson are night and day

I think it's more the two immediate appointments post-Sexton. Great club servant, QPR through and through, a very decent number 2 and a lovely bloke I'm sure but was Frank Sibley really the best we could get in 1977? We'd finished runners up the season before and just had a season in Europe so we could have attracted a biggish name I'm sure. Frank Sibley was way out of his depth being manager of a first division club.

As for then following Sibley with Burtenshaw, the less said the better. IMO by a gnat's cock the second worst manager we've ever had. Although Uncle Jim got more managerial appointments right than wrong you can't deny that Mullery, Burtenshaw and Sibley are three of our worst.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 22:51 - Mar 26 with 718 viewsTGRRRSSS

Ron mentioned he followed RT's subsequent business career but other than the brief period involved with Leeds it goes no further into what he's done in the past 15 years or so.

Interesting both him and Wright describe going only to a handful of games since leaving (aways mostly in Wright's case)
Login to get fewer ads

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 08:39 - Mar 27 with 663 viewsconnell10

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 19:38 - Mar 24 by Roller

I'm not saying this is the case, but has it crossed your mind that you may have misjudged the situation in your youthful naivety?

As Kenelriser asked "Is there any evidence he asset stripped the club for personal financial gain?"

Ron, if you are out there, how genuine did you feel he was during your interview?

Ill never change my view on that little weasel.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 12:59 - Mar 27 with 556 viewsrobith

Thanks for the interview and everyone's posts. I was a kid when this was all happening and we'd only be able to go twice a season so it's fascinating/depressing reading everyone's thoughts and takes
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 14:31 - Mar 27 with 470 viewsAntti_Heinola

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 20:21 - Mar 24 by bosh67

Having spoken to one of Thompson's best friends Francis did a number on him, and even worse, he did a number on the fans. He hasn't told the full story in the interview. Francis absolutely f*cked the club and fans over. Loved him as a player but he did a real number on all of us as a manager. When you know the whole story your respect for Gerry slips quite a few runs down the ladder.

That's possible. But again it's only one side of the story. He may not have told his 'full' version for fear of libel.
If it's about Gerry taking a percentage on player sales, i think everyone already knows that. Hardly a secret.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024