Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview 19:50 - Mar 23 with 6251 viewsNorthernr

Now, honestly, when Ron and I discussed hosting his former QPR peeps interviews from the QPRNet days on LFW, we didn't expect Richard Thompson to be the first person to respond. But here it is...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45348/richard-thomp
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 20:21 - Mar 23 with 4341 viewscaliforniahoop

I vaguely remember that, good interview, see things a bit differently now.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:02 - Mar 23 with 4258 viewsthame_hoops

Fantastic interview. Was it Leeds at home when we went 0-4 down and fans stormed the pitch in protest?
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:08 - Mar 23 with 4242 viewsdaveB

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:02 - Mar 23 by thame_hoops

Fantastic interview. Was it Leeds at home when we went 0-4 down and fans stormed the pitch in protest?

yeah the leeds game, i protested at the time, seems stupid looking back.

Rodney Marsh doesn't come out of that well
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:33 - Mar 23 with 4188 viewsNorthernr

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:02 - Mar 23 by thame_hoops

The picture in the story is from a 1-0 home win against Wimbledon, There was definitely a pitch invasion against Leeds in the 4-0 game, led by Denise (I think) waving her shirt around her head.

Two things about that... The Leeds fans afterwards, having won 4-0, were singing "We want Thompson in" and of course they got their wish.

Secondly, my inappropriate grandfather ended up sitting next to Denise in a pub at Sheffield Wednesday a week later and (as she'd removed the shirt, but not the bra) told her that "we were all proud of you love but I must say I was disappointed..."
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:35 - Mar 23 with 4182 viewsmarkrtid

Truly a great interview. The best of times and the saddest of times.

Whatever Richard Thompson did, I still can't forgive him for Fairport Convention though.

Someone had to say it.

peace.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 22:08 - Mar 23 with 4106 viewsmarkrtid

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:33 - Mar 23 by Northernr

The picture in the story is from a 1-0 home win against Wimbledon, There was definitely a pitch invasion against Leeds in the 4-0 game, led by Denise (I think) waving her shirt around her head.

Two things about that... The Leeds fans afterwards, having won 4-0, were singing "We want Thompson in" and of course they got their wish.

Secondly, my inappropriate grandfather ended up sitting next to Denise in a pub at Sheffield Wednesday a week later and (as she'd removed the shirt, but not the bra) told her that "we were all proud of you love but I must say I was disappointed..."

Slightly off pink bra if I remember rightly.
Giving it some right in front of the Loft.

Not quite Erica Rowe but it was appreciated at the time.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 22:39 - Mar 23 with 4048 viewsconnell10

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:08 - Mar 23 by daveB

yeah the leeds game, i protested at the time, seems stupid looking back.

Rodney Marsh doesn't come out of that well

Nothing stupid about it mate, I for one was proud to be there! Thompson was a smug git faced asset stripper of the highest order and he did the same to Leeds, I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire!!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 23:08 - Mar 23 with 4002 viewshoof_hearted

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 21:33 - Mar 23 by Northernr

Was your granddad from Woking?
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 23:22]
Login to get fewer ads

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 06:47 - Mar 24 with 3808 viewsToast_R

You have to admire his honesty I suppose. Rodney Marsh certainly does not come out of it too well at all and you have to ask yourself why Gerry hated him before that saga even started, form for being a bit of an arrogant tosser?

1 Million loss a season?
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 07:31 - Mar 24 with 3777 viewsHayesender

As no one else has said it, Gerry doesn't come out of that smelling of roses.

Seemed like he almost manufactured a move away from us

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 08:16 - Mar 24 with 3730 viewsconnell10

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 07:31 - Mar 24 by Hayesender

yeah if you beleive thompson wich i dont!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 08:41 - Mar 24 with 3701 viewsPhildo

Really interesting interview. Took over at 24 and kept things on the road for a few years. If they (Thompson family) had invested a few bob and held their nerve they would have made a few quid as football took off. They might have bought the land at the school end as well -who knows.

Hard to see that GF was happy about player sales though- what manager in the history of football ever was.

Interesting how every owner (post Taylor report) cite the size of LR as an impediment to progress.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 08:43 - Mar 24 with 3694 viewspaulparker

Interesting that he said Sinton wanted to go but im sure on the podcast sinton said he was forced and didn't want to leave , I wonder who the liar is
all in all a good interview but I would have liked to have seen the question as to why he didn't invest some money when Gerry had the team in the top 5 in 1993
a Kenny Cunningham , ian Bishop, alex rae , perhaps a collymore , could have propelled us into a title challenge , during this time we lost Wilkins for a while and had to play Maurice Doyle as back up , we did ever so well with the small squad we had but a couple of players like that could have seen us really challenge
we missed the boat big time when we were on the up we had a brilliant future possible England manager, brilliant players we had one of the top ten strikers in Europe in Les , we were a top 6 club but Thompson didn't want to take us forward only to take the cash
as a club we have never recovered and I think back to what might have been had he invested and backed Gerry , we wasted a massive chance to win trophies, play in Europe and develop as a football club , we will never have those days again in my lifetime
so Thompson can fcuking do one

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:22 - Mar 24 with 3637 viewsToast_R

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 08:43 - Mar 24 by paulparker

Interesting that he said Sinton wanted to go but im sure on the podcast sinton said he was forced and didn't want to leave , I wonder who the liar is
all in all a good interview but I would have liked to have seen the question as to why he didn't invest some money when Gerry had the team in the top 5 in 1993
a Kenny Cunningham , ian Bishop, alex rae , perhaps a collymore , could have propelled us into a title challenge , during this time we lost Wilkins for a while and had to play Maurice Doyle as back up , we did ever so well with the small squad we had but a couple of players like that could have seen us really challenge
we missed the boat big time when we were on the up we had a brilliant future possible England manager, brilliant players we had one of the top ten strikers in Europe in Les , we were a top 6 club but Thompson didn't want to take us forward only to take the cash
as a club we have never recovered and I think back to what might have been had he invested and backed Gerry , we wasted a massive chance to win trophies, play in Europe and develop as a football club , we will never have those days again in my lifetime
so Thompson can fcuking do one

I agree to an extent but what you are proposing in hindsight is that a club already taking annual losses (allegedly) take a big gamble in investing more money to reach those targets, but if they did fall short then what? Was there a clear indication that a few more years down the line the Premier League would become awash with so much money back then?

It's all very depressing in hindsight, you could argue the fans can take part of the blame for the demise too, getting on Thompson's case, scaring him into the selling to Chris Wright and calling for Wilkins as manager. A case of better the Devil you know perhaps?
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:27 - Mar 24 with 3630 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great interview. Well done, lads.

I have to be honest I don't know who to believe here and haven't for some time.

I don't believe a word Rodney says and never have, not that it stops him being a hero. But he's all about the publicity, is our Rodney, and will say anything that promotes his profile. And it's been less than helpful in the past. And he can spare us the "I insisted that Thompson tell Gerry". Pack it in, Rodney, you should have picked the phone up yourself if you were that worried, certainly before you sat down beside Thompson in the Directors' Box in full view of the cameras.

As for Gerry, I, and others too, documented at the time how he had been fluttering his eyelids at others prior to all this. I always maintain the move to Spurs suited him down to the ground, and I wouldn't begrudge him the move. He'd paid his dues at Bristol Rovers and here, and Spurs was a step up he deserved. But he too has been economical with the truth. Francis was on a percentage of the value of the squad adjusted for sales, so stood to gain from Peacock's departure. Maybe he was against it, maybe he wasn't, but the fact that it had a financial impact on his income is important, and wasn't made clear at the time.

Finally, with Thompson, I will always regret my part in the Thompson Out campaign. Not because he was a decent man, not because I felt sorry for him, not because he deserved better - he may have been, I didn't, he didn't - but because like the oft-quoted managerial example of Curbishley at Charlton, we had no Plan B. We acted with anger and that's dangerous, and it's irresponsible. The blood was up, but what it was up to - no-one knew.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:28 - Mar 24 with 3628 viewsNorthernr

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:22 - Mar 24 by Toast_R

I agree to an extent but what you are proposing in hindsight is that a club already taking annual losses (allegedly) take a big gamble in investing more money to reach those targets, but if they did fall short then what? Was there a clear indication that a few more years down the line the Premier League would become awash with so much money back then?

It's all very depressing in hindsight, you could argue the fans can take part of the blame for the demise too, getting on Thompson's case, scaring him into the selling to Chris Wright and calling for Wilkins as manager. A case of better the Devil you know perhaps?

But to risk a relegation by allowing a talent drain like that to take place just as the Premier League TV money was about to explode - and everybody knew it was about to explode so there's no hindsight there - was short sighted and tight.

There were loads of good, affordable players around at that time who subsequently kept much smaller clubs and worse teams than ours in the Premier League having been bought for fees we could easily have afforded - Rae (Millwall to Sunderland), Keller (Millwall to Leicester), Booth (Huddersfield to Sheff Wed), Mendonca (Grimsby to Charlton), Matt Elliott (Oxford to Leicester), Purse (Oxford to Birmingham), Phillips (Watford to Sunderland). Even Spencer, who we bought after we went down, would have been decent if we'd done it 18 months sooner.

He can say well we had to balance the books and that's fine, I'm not advocating a Tony Fernandes style spree. But to get relegated out of the Premier League just as the TV money was getting massive for the sake of bunging £3m to Millwall, Grimsby and Oxford for three or four players was fcking stupid. We could have had Keller in goal, Elliott at centre back, Rae in midfield and Mendonca and Kevin Phillips up front for a relative pittance and we'd have been a Premier League mainstay for another decade.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:47 - Mar 24 with 3578 viewsElHoop

You only really need to read up to the bit where he says that he was only 24. That says it all. He shouldn't have been in charge.

He clearly got the hump about the 'we want Thompson out...' chants - but it never seemed to bother Jim Gregory - 'Gregory must go' would have echoed around the stadium at least as often during his reign. But Gregory was a lot older. He could take it on the chin - he knew what the supporters were like - not much has changed really, although we seem to blame the managers more than the board these days.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:54 - Mar 24 with 3551 viewsstevec

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:47 - Mar 24 by ElHoop

You only really need to read up to the bit where he says that he was only 24. That says it all. He shouldn't have been in charge.

He clearly got the hump about the 'we want Thompson out...' chants - but it never seemed to bother Jim Gregory - 'Gregory must go' would have echoed around the stadium at least as often during his reign. But Gregory was a lot older. He could take it on the chin - he knew what the supporters were like - not much has changed really, although we seem to blame the managers more than the board these days.

Asking Gerry to say a few good words for him!

Fckin hell Thompson, you were the boss, act like one.

He'd sunk the ship way before Chris Wright turned up.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:56 - Mar 24 with 3549 viewspaulparker

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:22 - Mar 24 by Toast_R

I can never stick up for Thompson , think back Toast we had one of the most exciting teams in Europe , we had a core of players who were very good , who knows where this team would have gone if we had even a million invested even
yes everyone has to sell players but our back up was Maurice doyle, Karl Ready & Devon white , Gerry was going to war holding a pencil , he performed miracles really
even selling Peacock for 2.7 million we could have got in Cunningham, Elliott or even got a player from Scandinavia and still had more than enough change
we really missed out , we wasted such a great opportunity through a chairman's greed
and we are still paying the price for that to this day

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 10:00 - Mar 24 with 3543 viewsElHoop

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:56 - Mar 24 by paulparker

I can never stick up for Thompson , think back Toast we had one of the most exciting teams in Europe , we had a core of players who were very good , who knows where this team would have gone if we had even a million invested even
yes everyone has to sell players but our back up was Maurice doyle, Karl Ready & Devon white , Gerry was going to war holding a pencil , he performed miracles really
even selling Peacock for 2.7 million we could have got in Cunningham, Elliott or even got a player from Scandinavia and still had more than enough change
we really missed out , we wasted such a great opportunity through a chairman's greed
and we are still paying the price for that to this day

The interviewer could have asked him about Neil Lennon - did Wilkins want to sign him and if he did why didn't we get him?
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 10:06 - Mar 24 with 3528 viewsToast_R

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:28 - Mar 24 by Northernr

But to risk a relegation by allowing a talent drain like that to take place just as the Premier League TV money was about to explode - and everybody knew it was about to explode so there's no hindsight there - was short sighted and tight.

There were loads of good, affordable players around at that time who subsequently kept much smaller clubs and worse teams than ours in the Premier League having been bought for fees we could easily have afforded - Rae (Millwall to Sunderland), Keller (Millwall to Leicester), Booth (Huddersfield to Sheff Wed), Mendonca (Grimsby to Charlton), Matt Elliott (Oxford to Leicester), Purse (Oxford to Birmingham), Phillips (Watford to Sunderland). Even Spencer, who we bought after we went down, would have been decent if we'd done it 18 months sooner.

He can say well we had to balance the books and that's fine, I'm not advocating a Tony Fernandes style spree. But to get relegated out of the Premier League just as the TV money was getting massive for the sake of bunging £3m to Millwall, Grimsby and Oxford for three or four players was fcking stupid. We could have had Keller in goal, Elliott at centre back, Rae in midfield and Mendonca and Kevin Phillips up front for a relative pittance and we'd have been a Premier League mainstay for another decade.

It was tight but you have to say the main factor in the relegation was the sale of Ferdinand as he guaranteed 20 plus goals a season - and for once Thompson recycled that fee but sadly Wilkins wasted that money on two dead beats. A catastrophic piece of management. We had one bad season in the Premier League and got relegated whilst teams like Coventry, Southampton and Everton would have them consistently but somehow always end up getting away with it for years. Typical of our luck I suppose. I reckon had we come through 95/96 we'd have been on an upward curve with the takeover and having the income from the Premier League. The Sinclair contract extension and the other signings that happened in Division One would have been sustainable for a start.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 10:14]
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 10:10 - Mar 24 with 3516 viewsNorthernr

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 10:06 - Mar 24 by Toast_R

It was tight but you have to say the main factor in the relegation was the sale of Ferdinand as he guaranteed 20 plus goals a season - and for once Thompson recycled that fee but sadly Wilkins wasted that money on two dead beats. A catastrophic piece of management. We had one bad season in the Premier League and got relegated whilst teams like Coventry, Southampton and Everton would have them consistently but somehow always end up getting away with it for years. Typical of our luck I suppose. I reckon had we come through 95/96 we'd have been on an upward curve with the takeover and having the income from the Premier League. The Sinclair contract extension and the other signings that happened in Division One would have been sustainable for a start.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 10:14]

Agreed, Wilkins stuffed it. Although Zelic was a good player, went on to play in Germany for many years, UEFA Cup campaigns etc. Just turned out to be the only Australian ever not to settle in West London.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 10:14 - Mar 24 with 3504 viewstraininvain

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 09:28 - Mar 24 by Northernr

The most valuable commodity in life — hindsight.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 10:55 - Mar 24 with 3432 viewsNorthernr

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 10:14 - Mar 24 by traininvain

The most valuable commodity in life — hindsight.

Except it wasn't, as anybody who had to sit in the Goldhawk and listen to my dad rattle off that list of names when they were still at their original clubs and we were buying Gregory fcking Goodridge will attest.

Rae and Keller, everybody was saying we should buy those two. They'd played brilliantly against Rangers for Millwall in two cup ties - 1993/94 and 1994/95. Meanwhile we had Tony Roberts flapping around in goal.

Usually I'd agree with you, should have bought him, should have bought this or that, Monday morning quarter back stuff. But Keller, Rae, Mendonca and Elliott were open secrets.
Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 11:33 - Mar 24 with 3366 viewsdaveB

Richard Thompson on how it all went sour at QPR — Interview on 07:31 - Mar 24 by Hayesender

He sort of did after the Marsh thing but his relationship with Thompson had fallen apart by then and it came across to me that Thompson wanted him gone and knew this would be the way to make him walk rather than have to sack him. If Marsh hadn't come in I don't think Francis would have gone to Spurs a month later although i also don't think he'd have been our manager for much longer.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 11:38]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024