Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalkeeper Conundrum 11:37 - Mar 27 with 5513 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

How do you keep three good goalkeepers happy?
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 11:39 - Mar 27 with 3766 viewsLongsufferingR

Find the modern day equivalent of the Beverley Sisters and lock them all in a hotel room for the weekend?
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 11:42 - Mar 27 with 3750 viewsNorthernr

Lumley goes out for the season next year, probably back to Bristol Rovers if they're keen. If he tears it up again then you have decision to make, probably based on whether there's serious interest in Smithies in 18 months time.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:11 - Mar 27 with 3675 viewspaulparker

as much as I like smithies I think he will be off , Newcastle, Villa, Boro will be after decent keepers come the summer and I think we will sell

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:30 - Mar 27 with 3621 viewshoof_hearted

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:11 - Mar 27 by paulparker

as much as I like smithies I think he will be off , Newcastle, Villa, Boro will be after decent keepers come the summer and I think we will sell

He seems well grounded and happy to play and be appreciated so I think it will be up to us to pay him right when the next contract is negotiated or cash in.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:31 - Mar 27 with 3614 viewsYorkRanger

I think Smities is a great keeper and one of the best we have had for years. That said I have been impressed with what I have seen of Ingram and with Lumley as a number 2, there wouldnt be an outpouring of emotion from me if we cashed in on Smithies.

That would be in line with our current operating model, find value, devleop it and then sell on at a profit and repeat....
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:31 - Mar 27 with 3613 viewsJeff

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:11 - Mar 27 by paulparker

but for all his heroics, he does seem to be getting remarkably little media attention.

I think he's the best keeper in the league by a stretch, but willing to bet a tenner here and now he won't get into the Championship team of the year - they'll give it to Stockdale, Sels or Al Habsi or something.

him going under the radar is criminally unfair, but it might keep him here a bit longer!

Can we not knock it?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:41 - Mar 27 with 3558 viewsmcqpr10

Surely Ingram won't be happy with another season on the bench next year. He might want a loan out too.

I wonder if someone offered 8-10 million for Smithies would we accept?
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:43 - Mar 27 with 3546 viewsGloucs_R

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:31 - Mar 27 by Jeff

but for all his heroics, he does seem to be getting remarkably little media attention.

I think he's the best keeper in the league by a stretch, but willing to bet a tenner here and now he won't get into the Championship team of the year - they'll give it to Stockdale, Sels or Al Habsi or something.

him going under the radar is criminally unfair, but it might keep him here a bit longer!

When you read Everton are after the Sunderland keeper.....you think to yourself, why not Smithies??

Smithies could easily go to a Prem club next season. Depends on where he wants to move to though.

Newcastle, Everton, Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham, Soton (if Foster goes to Chelsea) are all realistic options IMO.

To answer the OP question, I think Smithies will go in the summer and then you have 2 young keepers challenging each other.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2017 12:44]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Login to get fewer ads

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:44 - Mar 27 with 3536 viewsHunterhoop

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:31 - Mar 27 by YorkRanger

I think Smities is a great keeper and one of the best we have had for years. That said I have been impressed with what I have seen of Ingram and with Lumley as a number 2, there wouldnt be an outpouring of emotion from me if we cashed in on Smithies.

That would be in line with our current operating model, find value, devleop it and then sell on at a profit and repeat....

I think both Ingram and Lumley will become excellent keepers, and it's great to have the strength in depth.

But if you think either will be remotely close in terms of performance levels to Smithies, you'll be sorely disappointed. Ingram's appearances in the cup this season were evidence of this. He's got a lot more to develop in his game, and is quite some way behind Smithies: he parried two shots into the middle of 6 yard box (both resulting in goals), he doesn't come off his line for crosses anything like as well as Smithies, his kicking was noticeably worse, and he was a lot quieter. Nerves, being younger, less experienced, lack of first team matches, and his keenness to impress, all probably contributed to this.

I'm in no way writing the bloke off at all. I love our goalkeeping situation: proper pipeline of young talent which will improve, but Smithies isn't just our best goalkeeper since Seaman (if not further back), he's our best player in the squad.

If/When he goes, it will have an impact.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:50 - Mar 27 with 3516 viewsYorkRanger

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:44 - Mar 27 by Hunterhoop

I think both Ingram and Lumley will become excellent keepers, and it's great to have the strength in depth.

But if you think either will be remotely close in terms of performance levels to Smithies, you'll be sorely disappointed. Ingram's appearances in the cup this season were evidence of this. He's got a lot more to develop in his game, and is quite some way behind Smithies: he parried two shots into the middle of 6 yard box (both resulting in goals), he doesn't come off his line for crosses anything like as well as Smithies, his kicking was noticeably worse, and he was a lot quieter. Nerves, being younger, less experienced, lack of first team matches, and his keenness to impress, all probably contributed to this.

I'm in no way writing the bloke off at all. I love our goalkeeping situation: proper pipeline of young talent which will improve, but Smithies isn't just our best goalkeeper since Seaman (if not further back), he's our best player in the squad.

If/When he goes, it will have an impact.

I take your point Hunter. I guess the question is how will Ingram develop if he spends another season or two on the bench? At least Lumley is playing whilst out on loan.

As you say quite a nice problem to have..
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 13:05 - Mar 27 with 3468 viewsHunterhoop

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:50 - Mar 27 by YorkRanger

I take your point Hunter. I guess the question is how will Ingram develop if he spends another season or two on the bench? At least Lumley is playing whilst out on loan.

As you say quite a nice problem to have..

I agree on Ingram. That's my main worry. I feel a tad sorry for him.

If Lumley goes out on loan again next season, by Christmas, you could have a situation (should Smithies be sold) where Lumley has actually leapfrogged him by virtue of actually playing first team football, whilst Ingram goes stale.

But you can't squad rotate and leave out your goalkeeper and best player in Smithies.

For Ingram's development, and for our sanity as fans, we could really do with a cup run next year. Ingram will get some proper competitive matches and feel more a part of the club.

If that doesn't happen (and assuming Lumley is out on loan again), and we exit the League Cup early, I'd recall Lumley, stick him on the bench and send Ingram out on loan to get him first team matches for when Smithies does leave. It's only fair to the bloke too.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 13:27 - Mar 27 with 3394 viewsAntti_Heinola

I'd be extremely surprised to see Smithies leave this summer. He's just signed a new contract, his family are settled. He's obviously happy and keepers tend not to move about a lot.

I don't think there's a chance in hell a Prem team will offer him first team football. Sorry, they just don't do that - as wrong as it may be. He'll need to go up with a team, and it's unlikely a Championship team will pay what we'd ask for him, seeing as he's under a new contract. So he'll be here next season for a crack at the play-offs. And then next summer he may go.

I just don't think Smithies is seen outside of LR as being as good as we all think he is. As someone above says, he won't get into the league team of the season - it'll probably be Kieren Westwood or Stockdale or even, laughably, Rob Green. Smithies doesn't have the profile. No one will spend the £6m-£10m it'd need for us to sell.

Bare bones.

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 13:44 - Mar 27 with 3342 viewsswisscottage

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 11:39 - Mar 27 by LongsufferingR

Find the modern day equivalent of the Beverley Sisters and lock them all in a hotel room for the weekend?

I'll thank you not to objectify my step grandmother (Teddy)
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 13:47 - Mar 27 with 3326 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 13:27 - Mar 27 by Antti_Heinola

I'd be extremely surprised to see Smithies leave this summer. He's just signed a new contract, his family are settled. He's obviously happy and keepers tend not to move about a lot.

I don't think there's a chance in hell a Prem team will offer him first team football. Sorry, they just don't do that - as wrong as it may be. He'll need to go up with a team, and it's unlikely a Championship team will pay what we'd ask for him, seeing as he's under a new contract. So he'll be here next season for a crack at the play-offs. And then next summer he may go.

I just don't think Smithies is seen outside of LR as being as good as we all think he is. As someone above says, he won't get into the league team of the season - it'll probably be Kieren Westwood or Stockdale or even, laughably, Rob Green. Smithies doesn't have the profile. No one will spend the £6m-£10m it'd need for us to sell.

And we would be mad to sell for £6m. £10m yes maybe.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:19 - Mar 27 with 3242 viewsswisscottage

Smithies is just 8 appearances shy of 300 in league and cup and at 27 is reaching his peak as a Goalkeeper .. 165 more than Ingram. That's the equivalent of four full year's of first team experience playing week in week out.

Which as has been pointed out earlier in the thread is quite evident when watching Ingram's performances.
Ingram is not going to progress from the Keeper he was at Wycombe, unless he plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a run of a few games at the end of the season, similar to last season but ultimately he needs to go out on loan to another Championship club or League 1 club at worst.

That being said I believe the club are looking at Joe as the likely successor to Smithies in two year's time. I expect him to be sent on loan again next season as part of his development with that in mind.

The club could do worse than to bring in a bench warmer on loan next season, and send both Ingram and Lumley out on loan with emergency recall options in case of long term injury to Smithies or January transfer.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:21 - Mar 27 with 3233 viewsNorthernr

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:19 - Mar 27 by swisscottage

Smithies is just 8 appearances shy of 300 in league and cup and at 27 is reaching his peak as a Goalkeeper .. 165 more than Ingram. That's the equivalent of four full year's of first team experience playing week in week out.

Which as has been pointed out earlier in the thread is quite evident when watching Ingram's performances.
Ingram is not going to progress from the Keeper he was at Wycombe, unless he plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a run of a few games at the end of the season, similar to last season but ultimately he needs to go out on loan to another Championship club or League 1 club at worst.

That being said I believe the club are looking at Joe as the likely successor to Smithies in two year's time. I expect him to be sent on loan again next season as part of his development with that in mind.

The club could do worse than to bring in a bench warmer on loan next season, and send both Ingram and Lumley out on loan with emergency recall options in case of long term injury to Smithies or January transfer.

Apparently the other youth team keeper, Polish name perhaps, is pretty sht hot as well so maybe use him for the bench and get Ingram and Lumley out and about.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:28 - Mar 27 with 3212 viewsHunterhoop

QPR, providing sh*t hot goal keepers to clubs near you! Get them whilst they're hot!

We should get a grant from the FA for this sort of thing.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:30 - Mar 27 with 3201 viewsLongsufferingR

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:28 - Mar 27 by Hunterhoop

QPR, providing sh*t hot goal keepers to clubs near you! Get them whilst they're hot!

We should get a grant from the FA for this sort of thing.

Not sure they'll be keen to give us a grant for the Polish one tbh.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:35 - Mar 27 with 3185 viewsJeff

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:30 - Mar 27 by LongsufferingR

Not sure they'll be keen to give us a grant for the Polish one tbh.

Taking the role of 4th choice keeper away from a nice young white Christian Englishman, who loves his mum no doubt.

Evil Les strikes again.

Can we not knock it?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:51 - Mar 27 with 3143 viewsAntti_Heinola

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:35 - Mar 27 by Jeff

Taking the role of 4th choice keeper away from a nice young white Christian Englishman, who loves his mum no doubt.

Evil Les strikes again.

All part of his agenda.

Bare bones.

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:54 - Mar 27 with 3130 viewsGloucs_R

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:51 - Mar 27 by Antti_Heinola

All part of his agenda.

Bet he signed him from Spurs....

Poll: Are we staying up?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:54 - Mar 27 with 3128 viewspaulparker

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:35 - Mar 27 by Jeff

Evil Les strikes again.

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:57 - Mar 27 with 3109 viewsJeff

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:54 - Mar 27 by paulparker

Can we not knock it?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 15:09 - Mar 27 with 3076 viewssimmo

Whatever happens, Ingram needs to go on loan next season. He won't have progressed with us barring training with Smithies and another year with little to no action will really affect him. We saw with McCarthy what a year or 2 out the game does to a keeper. Perhaps alternate them (Ingram on loan till Jan, Lumley from then) although I think it's best they both go for the year and we just use an emergency option or another youth teamer that can play U23's when he's not on our bench.

All v nice problems tbh and Smithies continuing to be under-rated outside LR is fine by me. I'll happily keep the best keeper in the league playing for us long term, he can be our Tom Heaton.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 15:15 - Mar 27 with 3065 viewsToast_R

Selling Smithies in the summer would be mental. He's a great Goalkeeper and QPR should be looking at a Play Off push next season. That will keep him more then satisfied that the club are progressing and he can fulfil his career ambitions at QPR a whole while longer. .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024