Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalkeeper Conundrum 11:37 - Mar 27 with 5434 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

How do you keep three good goalkeepers happy?
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 15:17 - Mar 27 with 1716 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 15:15 - Mar 27 by Toast_R

Selling Smithies in the summer would be mental. He's a great Goalkeeper and QPR should be looking at a Play Off push next season. That will keep him more then satisfied that the club are progressing and he can fulfil his career ambitions at QPR a whole while longer. .

I'm obviously getting well ahead of ourselves, but being a premiership club would keep them all happy.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 15:19 - Mar 27 with 1705 viewsMedwayR

I'd like to see Ingram on loan at a Championship side next season and Lumley back at bristol Rovers or another L1 team, both with call-back options if possible.

Let Hudnott & Dieng share sitting on the bench/U23's, Brzozowski is a bit younger and in the U18's I believe. When the time is right send this lot on loan for experience and make a decision on Ingram, Lumley & Smithies.

Nice problems to have.

Poll: Who’s better?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 15:55 - Mar 27 with 1661 viewsWadR

Seen Brzozowski a couple of times for the U18s and he looked really good. Kicking was a bit wild, but really vocal, good technique, excellent shot stopper.

He stood out (along with Josh Bowler), as one of the few who could make it at a decent pro level. Was speaking to someone who watches a lot of London youth football, mostly Chelsea - really knows his stuff, and he's been impressed by him too. So yeah, future is bright.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:00 - Mar 27 with 1656 viewsnadera78

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 14:21 - Mar 27 by Northernr

Apparently the other youth team keeper, Polish name perhaps, is pretty sht hot as well so maybe use him for the bench and get Ingram and Lumley out and about.

I saw Brzozowski play V Spurs in the Youth Cup and he was probably our best player. He also has unfeasibly long arms, I mean ridiculously long, Mr Tickle long. Too young to be on the bench for the first team though - some people might remember Jake Cole being called up at 17/18 and spending about 5 years sat there but never getting a game. Went from an excellent prospect to being overlooked and underdeveloped (has had a decent non-league career to be fair).

If we're serious about sending both Ingram and Lumley out on loan next season - which I don't disagree with as they both need to be playing - we'd be better off bringing in a seasoned GK from L1/2 (or even non-league) to back up Smithies. Probably late-30s, good trainer, knows the drill, prepared to sit on the bench for a year.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:15 - Mar 27 with 1628 viewsoldmisery

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 13:27 - Mar 27 by Antti_Heinola

I'd be extremely surprised to see Smithies leave this summer. He's just signed a new contract, his family are settled. He's obviously happy and keepers tend not to move about a lot.

I don't think there's a chance in hell a Prem team will offer him first team football. Sorry, they just don't do that - as wrong as it may be. He'll need to go up with a team, and it's unlikely a Championship team will pay what we'd ask for him, seeing as he's under a new contract. So he'll be here next season for a crack at the play-offs. And then next summer he may go.

I just don't think Smithies is seen outside of LR as being as good as we all think he is. As someone above says, he won't get into the league team of the season - it'll probably be Kieren Westwood or Stockdale or even, laughably, Rob Green. Smithies doesn't have the profile. No one will spend the £6m-£10m it'd need for us to sell.

Did I imagine it or hasn't the Championship Team of the year already been 'selected' and wasn't Stockdale chosen as the 'best' goalkeeper?
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:19 - Mar 27 with 1609 viewsstonebridgers

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 15:15 - Mar 27 by Toast_R

Selling Smithies in the summer would be mental. He's a great Goalkeeper and QPR should be looking at a Play Off push next season. That will keep him more then satisfied that the club are progressing and he can fulfil his career ambitions at QPR a whole while longer. .

Should we expect to see Ingram in goal for a couple of games towards the end of the campaign once we are mathematically safe.

Stonebridgers

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:20 - Mar 27 with 1609 viewsMedwayR

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:15 - Mar 27 by oldmisery

Did I imagine it or hasn't the Championship Team of the year already been 'selected' and wasn't Stockdale chosen as the 'best' goalkeeper?

Yes I think I saw that on SSN last week or maybe the one before.

Also, I agree with whoever said it could be a good idea to get an old pro to sit on the bench for a year, that would give the young GK's someone to learn from too, trouble is finding the right man...

Poll: Who’s better?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:20 - Mar 27 with 1603 viewskensalriser

We've let in 51 goals, the best in the division are in the low to mid 30s. Wigan, 14 points behind, have let in 7 fewer than we have. It would be really strange if Smithies was even a candidate for keeper of the season.

All to our benefit it we keep him another season.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:24 - Mar 27 with 1596 viewsCamberleyR

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:20 - Mar 27 by MedwayR

Also, I agree with whoever said it could be a good idea to get an old pro to sit on the bench for a year, that would give the young GK's someone to learn from too, trouble is finding the right man...

Look no more...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:30 - Mar 27 with 1585 viewsrobith

Now we've got the contract I think Smithies will be under contract a while. Trend seems to be Premiership teams increasingly go for establish Prem players or scout Europe to get them for cheaper than paying for English registered players
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:52 - Mar 27 with 1557 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Brzozowski? I'm sorry I can't accept him in the same side as N'gbakoto, Wszołek, and Hämäläinen.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 17:26 - Mar 27 with 1510 viewsNorthernr

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:20 - Mar 27 by kensalriser

We've let in 51 goals, the best in the division are in the low to mid 30s. Wigan, 14 points behind, have let in 7 fewer than we have. It would be really strange if Smithies was even a candidate for keeper of the season.

All to our benefit it we keep him another season.

Which shows to anybody who watches him regularly what nonsense statistics can be.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 17:37 - Mar 27 with 1491 viewsterryb

When was the last time that the club had a conundrum like this?

I'm far more used to us struggling to have one player for any position, let alone three!

The problem with loaning Ingram & Lumley out for the whole season is that they could only be recalled during the January transfer window, so I can't see Ollie allowing that to happen.

I don't envy our management having to make this decision, but compare it to the past & being the understudy to Roberts etc?
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 18:22 - Mar 27 with 1467 viewssimmo

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 17:37 - Mar 27 by terryb

When was the last time that the club had a conundrum like this?

I'm far more used to us struggling to have one player for any position, let alone three!

The problem with loaning Ingram & Lumley out for the whole season is that they could only be recalled during the January transfer window, so I can't see Ollie allowing that to happen.

I don't envy our management having to make this decision, but compare it to the past & being the understudy to Roberts etc?

'The problem with loaning Ingram & Lumley out for the whole season is that they could only be recalled during the January transfer window'

Which can be for the FA Cup games specifically, Smithies likely to be ever present in the league anyway. We can't afford to have either not playing 20+ games next season.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 21:54 - Mar 27 with 1378 viewsdavman

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 18:22 - Mar 27 by simmo

'The problem with loaning Ingram & Lumley out for the whole season is that they could only be recalled during the January transfer window'

Which can be for the FA Cup games specifically, Smithies likely to be ever present in the league anyway. We can't afford to have either not playing 20+ games next season.

With the new rules of only transferring / recalling players during the January window, we'be nuts to let Smithies, Ingram AND Lumley out on loan. Lumley, yep, but Ingram needs to be our no. 2 next season unless he asks to leave.

If he does, then we'd need to commit Lumley to staying as the no. 2.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 00:46 - Mar 28 with 1324 viewsNorthernr

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 21:54 - Mar 27 by davman

With the new rules of only transferring / recalling players during the January window, we'be nuts to let Smithies, Ingram AND Lumley out on loan. Lumley, yep, but Ingram needs to be our no. 2 next season unless he asks to leave.

If he does, then we'd need to commit Lumley to staying as the no. 2.

I doubt even QPR at their most ridiculous would have loaned Smithies, Ingram and Lumley out at te same time.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 01:39 - Mar 28 with 1306 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 16:20 - Mar 27 by MedwayR

Rob Green?

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 08:46 - Mar 28 with 1253 viewsrsonist

From the moment we signed Ingram it seemed a little odd that he was prepared to sit on the bench for us without a clear pathway to the first team at his stage of career. I'd imagine he'd be more restless than ever at this point but who knows with keepers.

Given they're about the same age you'd have to assume that the coaching staff had some firm reservations about Lumley when we signed Ingram 18 months ago.

I wonder if we are or were ever actually interested in Billy Bodin at Rovers as one ITK on here claimed in January. If so then I suppose we now have a useful bargaining chip.

Thing is, while you'd always want goalkeepers over 21 or so to be out playing there is the lesser observed aspect that training with good keepers makes your strikers better.... Washington alluded to this on the podcast recently if I remember correctly.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 09:49 - Mar 28 with 1216 viewsDorse

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 08:46 - Mar 28 by rsonist

From the moment we signed Ingram it seemed a little odd that he was prepared to sit on the bench for us without a clear pathway to the first team at his stage of career. I'd imagine he'd be more restless than ever at this point but who knows with keepers.

Given they're about the same age you'd have to assume that the coaching staff had some firm reservations about Lumley when we signed Ingram 18 months ago.

I wonder if we are or were ever actually interested in Billy Bodin at Rovers as one ITK on here claimed in January. If so then I suppose we now have a useful bargaining chip.

Thing is, while you'd always want goalkeepers over 21 or so to be out playing there is the lesser observed aspect that training with good keepers makes your strikers better.... Washington alluded to this on the podcast recently if I remember correctly.

Ingram was first choice at his last club so he's had a bit of first team exposure. For his / our sake, I'd like to see him get more competitive games. If that has to be on loan somewhere then so be it.

It's good to be a Ranger at the moment!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 10:30 - Mar 28 with 1194 viewsToast_R

Does it not make good sense to have two quality Goalkeepers vying for the number 1 spot? The healthy competition means that each keeper has to be at the top of their game… in theory.

Remember Chris Day and how his form tailed off, the only competition he had for the majority time was Culkin who was crap and seemed to be always nursing some sort of injury. Day was getting lobbed from 30 yards in slow motion in the end.
Goalkeeper Conundrum on 11:17 - Mar 28 with 1179 viewsstonebridgers

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 10:30 - Mar 28 by Toast_R

Does it not make good sense to have two quality Goalkeepers vying for the number 1 spot? The healthy competition means that each keeper has to be at the top of their game… in theory.

Remember Chris Day and how his form tailed off, the only competition he had for the majority time was Culkin who was crap and seemed to be always nursing some sort of injury. Day was getting lobbed from 30 yards in slow motion in the end.

Getting lobbed from 30 yards in slow motion. Was David Seaman our goalkeeping coach

Stonebridgers

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 12:36 - Mar 28 with 1121 viewsDorse

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 11:17 - Mar 28 by stonebridgers

Getting lobbed from 30 yards in slow motion. Was David Seaman our goalkeeping coach

I can just picture Rob Green scratching his head and wondering how you actually kick a ball 30 yards...

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 19:32 - Mar 28 with 1043 viewsdavman

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 00:46 - Mar 28 by Northernr

I doubt even QPR at their most ridiculous would have loaned Smithies, Ingram and Lumley out at te same time.

Now, even though it was what I wrote, you know it's not what I meant!

Oooops!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 23:34 - Mar 29 with 959 viewsMrGrieves

Goalkeeper Conundrum on 10:30 - Mar 28 by Toast_R

I still have nightmares about Nick Culkin....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024