Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In defence of the corner 21:49 - Mar 27 with 3503 viewssimmo

Quite interesting opinion piece on corners, reinforces some of what people on here have spoken about. (Albeit with stats related to premier league)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a
[Post edited 27 Mar 2017 21:50]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

In defence of the corner on 23:49 - Mar 27 with 2911 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If you take Joey Barton out of those stats then the percentage rises significantly .
In defence of the corner on 00:34 - Mar 28 with 2887 viewsNorthernr

Another one of those perfectly simple things in football that has been massively over complicated and ruined amidst a whole shower of "moving through the thirds" coaching badge bullsht that infests our sport and tells us that 30 kids are all better off playing the other excellent young boys on pristine pitches for Chelsea's academy while never getting any first team football at all, rather than being spread out among 30 Championship and League One clubs where they all play games.

Firstly, as often stated, short corners are footballing AIDS. They should be, at the absolute minimum, a yellow card offence. Any player executing them should be required to do hill runs, in the heat, wearing a bin liner, until they're either dead or promise never to do it again. My favourite one is the corner won, and the crowd get a bit excited, but it's then played short, and it gets fcked up (all short corners are a fck up to some varying degree) but occasionally it will result in another corner, which the crowd gets excited about again. If you are enough of a prck to play that second one short as well then you should be forced to sit and watch your house burn down.

Secondly this idea that absolutely the only thing you can do with corners other than monumentally pisball about with it is whip it into the near post, and therefore it's likely to be headed away by the first man, is also bullshit. What can't you hang it up to the back post? Why can't you start it out high and draw it back in? Hill scored a couple of goals in our promotion season (Portsmouth H and Ipswich H by memory) where Faurlin basically hung one up around the penalty spot and let him pile in. This idea that it has to be whipped to the near post, and therefore it's likely to be headed away quite often, is just as fcking shit as notion that you get a free chance to cross a ball into a penalty box populated with your best headers but should choose to play it short.

Get corner. Put people who can head it in penalty area. Deliver ball into area where goalkeeper cannot catch ball. Attack.

Not fcking rocket science.
In defence of the corner on 09:58 - Mar 28 with 2736 viewsDorse

In defence of the corner on 00:34 - Mar 28 by Northernr

Another one of those perfectly simple things in football that has been massively over complicated and ruined amidst a whole shower of "moving through the thirds" coaching badge bullsht that infests our sport and tells us that 30 kids are all better off playing the other excellent young boys on pristine pitches for Chelsea's academy while never getting any first team football at all, rather than being spread out among 30 Championship and League One clubs where they all play games.

Firstly, as often stated, short corners are footballing AIDS. They should be, at the absolute minimum, a yellow card offence. Any player executing them should be required to do hill runs, in the heat, wearing a bin liner, until they're either dead or promise never to do it again. My favourite one is the corner won, and the crowd get a bit excited, but it's then played short, and it gets fcked up (all short corners are a fck up to some varying degree) but occasionally it will result in another corner, which the crowd gets excited about again. If you are enough of a prck to play that second one short as well then you should be forced to sit and watch your house burn down.

Secondly this idea that absolutely the only thing you can do with corners other than monumentally pisball about with it is whip it into the near post, and therefore it's likely to be headed away by the first man, is also bullshit. What can't you hang it up to the back post? Why can't you start it out high and draw it back in? Hill scored a couple of goals in our promotion season (Portsmouth H and Ipswich H by memory) where Faurlin basically hung one up around the penalty spot and let him pile in. This idea that it has to be whipped to the near post, and therefore it's likely to be headed away quite often, is just as fcking shit as notion that you get a free chance to cross a ball into a penalty box populated with your best headers but should choose to play it short.

Get corner. Put people who can head it in penalty area. Deliver ball into area where goalkeeper cannot catch ball. Attack.

Not fcking rocket science.

The Arsenhole corner routine of the late 90s was brilliant. Usually whipped in to hit the man (usually Bould or Keown) attacking the near post. The other CB would attack the far post for the flick-on. Unless you blocked Bould, probably conceding the penalty, or beat him in the air (not the simplest task) it was a free header for the likes of Bergkamp, Adams or Petit.

Why do clubs feel the need to make life difficult? What are they trying to prove? The delicately chipped effort into the striker who pivots, beats 8 players and backheels it in through the keeper's legs is still only one goal. Stick it on the right player's head and he'll nut it in.

Matt Smith + corner = chaos in their box.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

In defence of the corner on 10:20 - Mar 28 with 2714 viewshoof_hearted

If they have bigger, stronger, cleverer centre halves then you have then you have to try something a bit different.

Corners are also a massive defensive problem for the team that takes them because so many quick attacks happen when the other team get possession. How many times have we seen a fast striker bounding past the last man because everyone else is up the other end having failed to connect with a "perfect" corner?
In defence of the corner on 10:22 - Mar 28 with 2706 viewsDesertBoot

Agree, short corners are infuriating, equally so an inability to not clear the first defender when putting a ball into the box.
My favourite corner routines were the ones hit to Paul Scholes on the edge of the box who would usually lash the ball home from 20 yards.

Wish I could be like David Watts

In defence of the corner on 10:24 - Mar 28 with 2702 viewshoof_hearted

In defence of the corner on 10:22 - Mar 28 by DesertBoot

Agree, short corners are infuriating, equally so an inability to not clear the first defender when putting a ball into the box.
My favourite corner routines were the ones hit to Paul Scholes on the edge of the box who would usually lash the ball home from 20 yards.

Sheringham at Spurs was a master of that, too.
In defence of the corner on 12:04 - Mar 28 with 2643 viewsAntti_Heinola

but the argument against that, and as I've argued for years on here, is that people think putting a good ball into the box is easy. only around 3% of corners result in goals. Taking a really good, attacking, dangerous corner is as difficult as (as said in the article) sticking it in the top corner from a free kick.

Bare bones.

In defence of the corner on 12:06 - Mar 28 with 2636 viewsBluce_Ree

I know everyone likes Richard Langley but I never liked him as a player and it was because all of his corners were straight dogshit.

A goal within ten secs of a short corner being taken should count double given what a difficult thing it is to do to actually score from one of them.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

In defence of the corner on 12:09 - Mar 28 with 2630 viewsPlanetHonneywood

If the execution of corners isn't bad enough, the delivery on free kicks and crosses often boil my piss!

In terms of crosses, the basic inability to just look up before seeking to lift one into the box is unforgivable in my book. Which is before we discuss the actual execution of the cross itself. If no one is in the box then hold it up or pass it back. If someone is in the box, then a cursory glance to towards the target area and to observe whether any of your fellow combatants are in the vicinity, usually gives the man with the ball an inkling of where to aim. But no, just throw it in aimlessly seems to suffice for many.

As for free kicks, I still think if the kick is for example, awarded on the right of the box, use a left foot kicker to whip in at pace towards the far post. This causes such mayhem as the defenders are often facing or side on to the goal; the keeper doesn't know whether to come for it or stay on his line and here's the thing, in the melee, if the delivery is accurate and no one gets a touch on the ball, there is more of a chance of it going in then if the ball is swung out from the goal!

As Clive said, it's not rocket science!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

In defence of the corner on 12:10 - Mar 28 with 2630 viewssimmo

I personally think a goal scored at a corner is much more down to defensive mistakes than attacking prowess. Unless you have a mismatch of a big, physical team there should be no reason a team should concede.

I appreciate it's a chance to get all your best header-ers into the box but equally all the best in the air for the defending team are there too, and the one man that can catch/punch the ball. I think in that respect some variation can be a good thing, if practiced and done with intent

In defence of the corner on 12:35 - Mar 28 with 2592 viewsHunterhoop

I love a good goal from a corner. Love it!

All the anticipation of delivery. Fans on their feet. Ball delivered. Someone rising above a sea of elbows and heads. BOSH! Bullet header. GOAL!

Wonderful stuff.

Beats this tiki taka football nonsense.
In defence of the corner on 12:45 - Mar 28 with 2582 viewsPhildo

The near post corner is used a lot because statistically it results in the most goals scored and even a lot of short corners are variations on delivering a ball to the near post attacker- so players are ordered to do it.

Unfortunately statistics are a poor way to run a game - we forget that the English obsession with the long ball came from statistical analysis in the 1950s (Charles Reep was it?) that created a generation of coaches like Graham Taylor who for a long time triumphed over more progressive coaches like Jago etc.
In defence of the corner on 18:01 - Mar 28 with 2393 viewsoldmisery

In defence of the corner on 12:45 - Mar 28 by Phildo

The near post corner is used a lot because statistically it results in the most goals scored and even a lot of short corners are variations on delivering a ball to the near post attacker- so players are ordered to do it.

Unfortunately statistics are a poor way to run a game - we forget that the English obsession with the long ball came from statistical analysis in the 1950s (Charles Reep was it?) that created a generation of coaches like Graham Taylor who for a long time triumphed over more progressive coaches like Jago etc.

Don't know about Charles Reep but Tactics & Teamwork by Charles F.C. Hughes (Football Association Assistant Director of Coaching) published in 1973, is my essential bed time read.
In defence of the corner on 19:17 - Mar 28 with 2352 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

In defence of the corner on 12:35 - Mar 28 by Hunterhoop

All the anticipation of delivery. Fans on their feet. Ball delivered. Someone rising above a sea of elbows and heads. BOSH! Bullet header. GOAL!

Wonderful stuff.

I think you have a cross / winger fetish : )
In defence of the corner on 19:33 - Mar 28 with 2336 viewsDorse

In defence of the corner on 12:35 - Mar 28 by Hunterhoop

Wonderful stuff.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

In defence of the corner on 20:11 - Mar 28 with 2298 viewsLazyFan

As I said before on another thread:

The whole point of a corner is that you get:

+ A free un-challenged cross into the box
+ Most of the time they put one defender on each post
+ No offside rule from the actual corner kick

So, as soon as you take a short corner (which really means pass it short for supposedly a better angle) you give up the advantages you have above instantly.
- Now it can be challenged
- The two come off the posts and make it harder to score
- Offside rule is back in play

Also if a corner is played tactical well you can have 2 players (which matches the defenders on the posts) on the goalkeeper to restrict their movement in the box to catch or punch the ball. Thus the fact that two players often have to cover the posts either side of the keeper and the pressure is really on.

This tactic possibility is lost on a short pass out as the defence then runs up to get the offside rule back in play and free up the goalie and whoever has been protecting the goal side of the posts.

Thus there is no point in the short one really ever. Just so called pro's think they can get a better angle for the cross. One has to then question how they cannot do this from a dead-ball with no one blocking them if they are such amazing pro's.

As for the stats, I would say that most teams are not really going for a goal assist but some sort of knock down for then an assist in the prem. Outside the prem if they bother to beat the first man, then they usually are going for a direct assist. Whats the intention behind the corner taker in the Prem vs the rest? That's what I would want to see.

IMHO
There should be a league rule that forces you to take the corner and not short. This would end the short nonsense once for all.
If it is played short, it should then become a goal kick to the other side and a yellow for both players involved.
This should put an end to it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

In defence of the corner on 22:49 - Mar 28 with 2227 viewsHunterhoop

In defence of the corner on 19:17 - Mar 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think you have a cross / winger fetish : )

Possibly! But, hey, I know what I like!
In defence of the corner on 22:50 - Mar 28 with 2225 viewsHunterhoop

In defence of the corner on 19:33 - Mar 28 by Dorse

Exactly what I was going for, Dorse. That'll be in 25 years, just in the Shepherd & Flock, not a studio.
In defence of the corner on 00:41 - Mar 29 with 2193 viewsFredManRave

There is literally no defence needed for this corner;

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

In defence of the corner on 11:52 - Mar 29 with 2122 viewsAntti_Heinola

In defence of the corner on 20:11 - Mar 28 by LazyFan

As I said before on another thread:

The whole point of a corner is that you get:

+ A free un-challenged cross into the box
+ Most of the time they put one defender on each post
+ No offside rule from the actual corner kick

So, as soon as you take a short corner (which really means pass it short for supposedly a better angle) you give up the advantages you have above instantly.
- Now it can be challenged
- The two come off the posts and make it harder to score
- Offside rule is back in play

Also if a corner is played tactical well you can have 2 players (which matches the defenders on the posts) on the goalkeeper to restrict their movement in the box to catch or punch the ball. Thus the fact that two players often have to cover the posts either side of the keeper and the pressure is really on.

This tactic possibility is lost on a short pass out as the defence then runs up to get the offside rule back in play and free up the goalie and whoever has been protecting the goal side of the posts.

Thus there is no point in the short one really ever. Just so called pro's think they can get a better angle for the cross. One has to then question how they cannot do this from a dead-ball with no one blocking them if they are such amazing pro's.

As for the stats, I would say that most teams are not really going for a goal assist but some sort of knock down for then an assist in the prem. Outside the prem if they bother to beat the first man, then they usually are going for a direct assist. Whats the intention behind the corner taker in the Prem vs the rest? That's what I would want to see.

IMHO
There should be a league rule that forces you to take the corner and not short. This would end the short nonsense once for all.
If it is played short, it should then become a goal kick to the other side and a yellow for both players involved.
This should put an end to it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The more i read your and Clive's rants on this, the more short corners I want to see. Just because I enjoy the rage.

Bare bones.

In defence of the corner on 11:53 - Mar 29 with 2113 viewssimmo

In defence of the corner on 12:00 - Mar 29 with 2096 viewsBrianMcCarthy

In defence of the corner on 11:53 - Mar 29 by simmo

Jesus, our lads moved fast there, didn't they! How Scotland managed to score amidst such a flurry of controlled defensive mayhem was a wonder.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

In defence of the corner on 12:02 - Mar 29 with 2087 viewsFDC

Check out the ball played to the edge of the box via a triple dummy at about 50 seconds on here.

Also, speaking of imperfect corner-taking conditions in that article, check out the corner at 20 seconds.

In defence of the corner on 00:08 - Mar 30 with 1977 viewsNW5Hoop

In defence of the corner on 18:01 - Mar 28 by oldmisery

Don't know about Charles Reep but Tactics & Teamwork by Charles F.C. Hughes (Football Association Assistant Director of Coaching) published in 1973, is my essential bed time read.

Charles Reep was the Stooges to Charles Hughes's Pistols. Without the former, there wouldn't have been the latter, etc etc.
In defence of the corner on 11:32 - Mar 30 with 1904 viewsoldmisery

In defence of the corner on 00:08 - Mar 30 by NW5Hoop

Charles Reep was the Stooges to Charles Hughes's Pistols. Without the former, there wouldn't have been the latter, etc etc.

Do you think there may be a correlation between long ball and longevity? After all Reep lived to be 97 and Hughes will be 88 this year!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024