Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Virtue signalling 08:27 - Mar 28 with 12669 viewsstevec

Is it making the world (and football forums) a duller place?
Virtue signalling on 23:20 - Mar 28 with 2036 viewsFredManRave

I can hardly contain my mock outrage.

#FreeTheWeatherfieldOne

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Virtue signalling on 00:20 - Mar 29 with 1999 viewsBoston

Virtue signalling on 23:20 - Mar 28 by FredManRave

I can hardly contain my mock outrage.

#FreeTheWeatherfieldOne

Oh, if you're in a Weatherspoons you can free up one for me as well.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Virtue signalling on 00:25 - Mar 29 with 1993 viewsFredManRave

Virtue signalling on 00:20 - Mar 29 by Boston

Oh, if you're in a Weatherspoons you can free up one for me as well.

You'll never catch me in a Weatherspoons. They show SKY TV stuff.

#JeSuisVirtueSignalling

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Virtue signalling on 09:39 - Mar 29 with 1934 viewsKonk

Virtue signalling on 15:37 - Mar 28 by MrSheen

No such thing, obviously.

[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 15:48]

Call me naïve, but perhaps they're genuinely concerned about whatever issue they're highlighting? As for the BLM stuff - I'm not a fan of their approach in the UK, but I don't have a problem with white people showing a bit of solidarity with black people. Are you not allowed to care about an issue that doesn't affect you directly? Should we all feign indifference to events that upset us, rather than show support, empathy and solidarity, less we be accused of "virtue signalling"? As I said on an earlier post, you could stick in people wearing poppies if you want to be consistent. Are Nurses wandering about in town in their uniforms not just virtue signalling? Look at me, shi t money, shi t hours etc, but I do it all for the love of humanity.

If I buy a copy of the Big Issue when I'm out and about with friends and family, am I just doing that to what a virtuous individual I am or do I think it's an enterprise worth supporting? Should I arrange to buy a copy down a dark alley and then burn it immediately just in case anyone finds out what I've done?

It's a term that's designed to stop people showing public support for other people, the environment etc. Of course, if you're the sort of heartless cu nt who can turn on the telly and watch people drowning by the boat load, children starving etc and not feel moved, then it's probably natural that you assume that no-one else could possibly be genuinely moved and want to make a small gesture of support/express sympathy.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Virtue signalling on 10:32 - Mar 29 with 1885 viewslondonscottish

Virtue signalling on 09:37 - Mar 28 by aston_hoop

I had to google it. It wasn't worth it. everyone in the world is a cnt anyway. Apart from Ale Faurlin, he seems like a decent bloke.

Is that you Dorse?

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Virtue signalling on 10:34 - Mar 29 with 1878 viewsLongsufferingR

Virtue signalling on 10:32 - Mar 29 by londonscottish

Is that you Dorse?

No. I AM DORSE!
Virtue signalling on 10:39 - Mar 29 with 1861 viewsMick_S

Virtue signalling on 10:34 - Mar 29 by LongsufferingR

No. I AM DORSE!

No, neigh; I am Dorse.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Virtue signalling on 12:08 - Mar 29 with 1805 viewsClive_Anderson

Virtue signalling on 09:39 - Mar 29 by Konk

Call me naïve, but perhaps they're genuinely concerned about whatever issue they're highlighting? As for the BLM stuff - I'm not a fan of their approach in the UK, but I don't have a problem with white people showing a bit of solidarity with black people. Are you not allowed to care about an issue that doesn't affect you directly? Should we all feign indifference to events that upset us, rather than show support, empathy and solidarity, less we be accused of "virtue signalling"? As I said on an earlier post, you could stick in people wearing poppies if you want to be consistent. Are Nurses wandering about in town in their uniforms not just virtue signalling? Look at me, shi t money, shi t hours etc, but I do it all for the love of humanity.

If I buy a copy of the Big Issue when I'm out and about with friends and family, am I just doing that to what a virtuous individual I am or do I think it's an enterprise worth supporting? Should I arrange to buy a copy down a dark alley and then burn it immediately just in case anyone finds out what I've done?

It's a term that's designed to stop people showing public support for other people, the environment etc. Of course, if you're the sort of heartless cu nt who can turn on the telly and watch people drowning by the boat load, children starving etc and not feel moved, then it's probably natural that you assume that no-one else could possibly be genuinely moved and want to make a small gesture of support/express sympathy.

I think you're missing what virtue signalling is.

It's loudly proclaiming you care about something to try and make yourself look morally superior whilst ignoring all logic and putting down anyone that doesn't share the same opinions. A bit like your last paragraph
Login to get fewer ads

Virtue signalling on 12:17 - Mar 29 with 1787 viewsKonk

Virtue signalling on 12:08 - Mar 29 by Clive_Anderson

I think you're missing what virtue signalling is.

It's loudly proclaiming you care about something to try and make yourself look morally superior whilst ignoring all logic and putting down anyone that doesn't share the same opinions. A bit like your last paragraph

Yeah, okay, Clive. Your ability to read the thoughts and intentions of strangers is something to behold. I'll stick to virtue signalling and you can stick to bitter, self-pitying, entitled whinging.

And in terms of my final paragraph, sorry, but if someone can watch footage or read accounts of people starving, drowning by the boat load, fleeing war etc and not be profoundly moved - and I work with a few people who "loudly proclaim" their ambivalence to refugees, victims of famine etc - then yes, I do consider myself more decent and a better human.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 12:40]

Virtue signalling on 12:32 - Mar 29 with 1750 viewsqprxtc

That about sums it up for me.
Virtue signalling on 13:00 - Mar 29 with 1712 viewsClive_Anderson

Virtue signalling on 12:17 - Mar 29 by Konk

Yeah, okay, Clive. Your ability to read the thoughts and intentions of strangers is something to behold. I'll stick to virtue signalling and you can stick to bitter, self-pitying, entitled whinging.

And in terms of my final paragraph, sorry, but if someone can watch footage or read accounts of people starving, drowning by the boat load, fleeing war etc and not be profoundly moved - and I work with a few people who "loudly proclaim" their ambivalence to refugees, victims of famine etc - then yes, I do consider myself more decent and a better human.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 12:40]

Oh yeah it's me whinging about people pointing out virtue signaling.

The point with the drowning is that the virtue signalers were advocating taking in more refugees that arrived by boat which would result in more people drowning in future. It was an entirely illogical position driven by the desire to look good on social media rather than solve the issue. It's the perfect example of the term.

I've not idea what the fictitious people at your work have said which amazingly always seem to back up all your points whilst showing you to be far more full of virtue.
Virtue signalling on 13:01 - Mar 29 with 1712 viewsMrSheen

My definition of "virtue signalling" is a public act at minimal cost to the actor of questionable effectiveness, principally intended to make the actor (or some other party) think better of himself. Sylvester Stallone and friends might well really, really care about the girls of Chibok, and there may be evidence out there of other things that he did, but holding up a piece of paper did nothing to help them, though it got some publicity for whatever dumb film he was promoting. The BLM activists paid a higher price in terms of arrest, but they can consider it an investment in their future career.

If your action is significant and effective, by my definition it's not virtue signalling. It's telling that expressing some scorn for this behaviour leads you to label me a heartless c*nt, when you know nothing about me - the same charge you use about Clive lower down. You don't know what time and resources I put into what I care about, but my efforts are guided by an eye towards making a meaningful contribution. It involves more effort than Nick Clegg uses to put on a t-shirt saying "This Is What A Feminist Looks Like", but you won't see it on social media.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 13:02]
Virtue signalling on 13:24 - Mar 29 with 1673 viewsKonk

Virtue signalling on 13:00 - Mar 29 by Clive_Anderson

Oh yeah it's me whinging about people pointing out virtue signaling.

The point with the drowning is that the virtue signalers were advocating taking in more refugees that arrived by boat which would result in more people drowning in future. It was an entirely illogical position driven by the desire to look good on social media rather than solve the issue. It's the perfect example of the term.

I've not idea what the fictitious people at your work have said which amazingly always seem to back up all your points whilst showing you to be far more full of virtue.

"I've not idea what the fictitious people at your work have said which amazingly always seem to back up all your points whilst showing you to be far more full of virtue."

Deary me, Clive; I work for a large company in the Finance sector where not everyone is a fully paid up member of the Salvation Army. Most of my team are Tories and voted for Brexit. I have friends and family with wildly different political views to my own, I hear people in my local, family of friends etc with views that I consider pretty rank all the time; I don't have to make them up.

I didn't realise posting something on here required the same level of detail as a police investigation or a case being put forward by the CPS, but next time I'll get you the names, addresses and D.O.B.s of the people involved. I'll try and get a sound recording too. You can then go round and interview them.

"The point with the drowning is that the virtue signalers were advocating taking in more refugees that arrived by boat which would result in more people drowning in future. It was an entirely illogical position driven by the desire to look good on social media rather than solve the issue. It's the perfect example of the term. " - You are easily the most exceptional mind-reader than I've ever come across. You're a fu cking magician.

Virtue signalling on 13:33 - Mar 29 with 1651 viewsKonk

Virtue signalling on 13:01 - Mar 29 by MrSheen

My definition of "virtue signalling" is a public act at minimal cost to the actor of questionable effectiveness, principally intended to make the actor (or some other party) think better of himself. Sylvester Stallone and friends might well really, really care about the girls of Chibok, and there may be evidence out there of other things that he did, but holding up a piece of paper did nothing to help them, though it got some publicity for whatever dumb film he was promoting. The BLM activists paid a higher price in terms of arrest, but they can consider it an investment in their future career.

If your action is significant and effective, by my definition it's not virtue signalling. It's telling that expressing some scorn for this behaviour leads you to label me a heartless c*nt, when you know nothing about me - the same charge you use about Clive lower down. You don't know what time and resources I put into what I care about, but my efforts are guided by an eye towards making a meaningful contribution. It involves more effort than Nick Clegg uses to put on a t-shirt saying "This Is What A Feminist Looks Like", but you won't see it on social media.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 13:02]

Sorry, Mr Sheen, that last paragraph wasn’t meant to be a dig at you, I should have said “Of course, if ONE’S the sort of heartless cu nt who can turn on the telly and watch people drowning by the boat load, children starving etc and not feel moved, then it's probably natural that ONE assumes that no-one else could possibly be genuinely moved and want to make a small gesture of support/express sympathy.”

“The BLM activists paid a higher price in terms of arrest, but they can consider it an investment in their future career.” — Not sure I understand how that works?

I still think it’s a w anky term that’s used to dismiss the views of anyone voicing concern/support for any cause for which the user of the term has no sympathy (and it seems to be exclusively used by people on the right).

Virtue signalling on 13:37 - Mar 29 with 1637 viewsDorse

Virtue signalling on 10:39 - Mar 29 by Mick_S

No, neigh; I am Dorse.

This

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Virtue signalling on 13:38 - Mar 29 with 1634 viewsClive_Anderson

"You are easily the most exceptional mind-reader than I've ever come across. You're a fu cking magician."

This from the bloke calling everyone heartless bastards on here whilst not knowing anything about them.

I also fail to see what these people at your work (that really exist by the way) has to do with whether virtue signalling is a thing or not.
Virtue signalling on 13:49 - Mar 29 with 1620 viewsKonk

Virtue signalling on 13:38 - Mar 29 by Clive_Anderson

"You are easily the most exceptional mind-reader than I've ever come across. You're a fu cking magician."

This from the bloke calling everyone heartless bastards on here whilst not knowing anything about them.

I also fail to see what these people at your work (that really exist by the way) has to do with whether virtue signalling is a thing or not.

Clive - Life's too short. I really can't be arsed.

Virtue signalling on 13:50 - Mar 29 with 1617 viewsQPR_Jim

Virtue signalling on 13:38 - Mar 29 by Clive_Anderson

I think he's just calling you a heartless bastard actually Clive.

Anyway whether you have time to make a real difference or not, it shouldn't mean you can't show your support in what little way you can, even if that is just putting on a t-shirt. So for me it's a stupid term designed to stop people from feeling able to show support for others.
Virtue signalling on 14:09 - Mar 29 with 1576 viewsMrSheen

Virtue signalling on 13:33 - Mar 29 by Konk

Sorry, Mr Sheen, that last paragraph wasn’t meant to be a dig at you, I should have said “Of course, if ONE’S the sort of heartless cu nt who can turn on the telly and watch people drowning by the boat load, children starving etc and not feel moved, then it's probably natural that ONE assumes that no-one else could possibly be genuinely moved and want to make a small gesture of support/express sympathy.”

“The BLM activists paid a higher price in terms of arrest, but they can consider it an investment in their future career.” — Not sure I understand how that works?

I still think it’s a w anky term that’s used to dismiss the views of anyone voicing concern/support for any cause for which the user of the term has no sympathy (and it seems to be exclusively used by people on the right).

We'll agree to differ. I think it's a worthwhile description of an empty gesture done for show. Irritating but harmless.
Virtue signalling on 14:14 - Mar 29 with 1561 viewsNW5Hoop

"Virtue signalling" is one of those phrases coined by the alt-right to try to delegitimise liberalism. That is all it is.

If you unpack the notion itself, then, yes — there have always been people, of all shades of opinion, who take morally superior positions mainly so they can feel good about themselves, and so other people will think they are good. And one is perfectly within ones rights to think the people who do that are arses. But that all predates the notion of virtue-signalling, as coined by that awful man Delingpole.

Virtue-signalling is a very specific term, designed to make one think the causes being espoused don't matter, and that no one in their right mind should care about them, because even the people who claim to care don't really care.

That notion is pernicious. Because change only ever comes from public opinion massing behind an issue. And that doesn't happen unless people actually know about the issue. Which, these days, usually happens from famous people banging on about it in the media. So, whatever their motives, they are doing a good thing. But because the causes that get espoused are often contrary to the desires of the alt-right/far-right/crypto-fascists/neo-nazis/whatever you want to call them, then they must be knocked down. Ergo, virtue signalling.
Virtue signalling on 14:20 - Mar 29 with 1537 viewsClive_Anderson

Virtue signalling on 13:50 - Mar 29 by QPR_Jim

I think he's just calling you a heartless bastard actually Clive.

Anyway whether you have time to make a real difference or not, it shouldn't mean you can't show your support in what little way you can, even if that is just putting on a t-shirt. So for me it's a stupid term designed to stop people from feeling able to show support for others.

"I think he's just calling you a heartless bastard actually Clive. "

Yeah probably, he's more than happy to chuck the insults about before somehow trying to take the moral high ground as if he was being reasonable.
Virtue signalling on 14:42 - Mar 29 with 1494 viewsDannytheR

Virtue signalling on 15:37 - Mar 28 by MrSheen

No such thing, obviously.

[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 15:48]

Given that Sylvester Stallone and Kelsey Grammar are both also supporters of Trump, I'd agree that a certain kind of right winger does often affect to publicly support good causes at odds with their real political beliefs.

A good point well made.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 14:42]
Virtue signalling on 15:02 - Mar 29 with 1457 viewshopphoops

I'm not one for empathy or chariddy myself.

Anyway, you all need to catch up. Ironic virtue denial's quite the thing these days.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Virtue signalling on 15:50 - Mar 29 with 1405 viewsqprxtc

Virtue signalling signallers: Ar$eholes who like to wag their fingers at others and tell them what ar$eholes they are whilst being ar$eholey themselves and are indeed ar$eholes.
Virtue signalling on 15:58 - Mar 29 with 1386 viewsNorthernr

Another two pages of unpleasant snidey bullsht accomplishing nothing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024