Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Villa match thread 11:01 - Apr 4 with 9019 viewsfrancisbowles

Mrs FB has been a bit under the weather but is feeling better today, so we are going.

Leaving early and going via John Lewis in Wycombe as the microwave has bitten the dust.

As for the real thing, hopefully Mass is back to shore up midfield and we can utilise the extra days rest. Like to see Sylla get on earlier as Smith will tire very quickly. Confident Smithies can put Friday behind him. Another difficult April game and I am hoping to break my Villa duck of one point from nine but will be satisfied with a point.
Villa match thread on 11:04 - Apr 4 with 3594 viewssimmo

Another narrow loss for me, think the players might stuggle to maintain now we're on 50 points, but we have to improve from the Derby game, which was really poor (albeit a bit of an anomoly given the recent form).

Also if Lynch gets recalled, PLEASE someone tell him not to get rolled by Kodjia - 3 fckin times that happened at LR, I was almost on the pitch by then.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Villa match thread on 11:07 - Apr 4 with 3588 viewsWatford_Ranger

No idea why but I'm both going to the game and going with optimism. Villa are on very good form but I believe in this group of players (naively?).
Villa match thread on 11:24 - Apr 4 with 3554 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Villa have finally found their form, and their shooting boots. As much as we have improved recently, I always think hitting 50 points has an effect on some players, already thinking of Summer. I will go 2/3-0 Villa. Sorry optimists

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Villa match thread on 11:35 - Apr 4 with 3535 viewspaulparker

Play like we did on Friday then it will be 4-0 villa

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Villa match thread on 12:03 - Apr 4 with 3499 viewsRs_Holy

2-1 to Villa... We cannot be as bad as the other day but that said Villa are a much improved side.
Villa match thread on 12:23 - Apr 4 with 3460 viewsbosh67

Villa match thread on 12:03 - Apr 4 by Rs_Holy

2-1 to Villa... We cannot be as bad as the other day but that said Villa are a much improved side.

I reckon you are about right. Let's hope not and that we somehow rediscover our mojo.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2017 12:23]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Villa match thread on 13:29 - Apr 4 with 3340 views1BobbyHazell

Good test for the Ollie and the ever evolving amorphous 532/523/433 formation. We can all see the tremendous potential in it, but if it is going to be the platform for playoff chasing next season I feel that there will need to be improvements in the 'in game' alterations from the players and Ollie.

It was clear pretty early on against Derby that it wasn't working. They had all the space they wanted out wide, particularly on our left, and it seemed fairly obvious that that door needed closing to even give us a foothold in the game. Add to that when the normally impressive Smith isn't winning the aerial battle he's not really contributing that much. And we ended up struggling on the back foot with our passing and confidence ebbing by the minute without the long ball option for relief.

Should Hall have pushed on permanently to create a 433 with the wide forwards tracking back? Or gone to 442 allowing Pavel and Freeman the opportunity to give Smith the chance to attack crosses rather than spending the game getting out fought over hoofs from the back 35 yards from their goal? Or should Smith had gone off early and Sylla or even Mackie come on with a view to playing more like we did at Newcastle? Etc etc

It's such a flexible formation which can be great and there are lots of matches where it is clearly effective immediately but at the moment there are clearly times when certain oppo line ups leave the players a little unsure of their roles, who to pick up (against Derby there were times when 3 centre backs were marking 1 forward AND Manning was dropping just in front of them to screen leaving untold space in front of them), when to press, when proper cover for the full backs is a must as opposed to a belated (and knackering) sprint out wide from Freeman or Manning best way to attack etc etc.

Alterations need to be made on the hoof by players and/or coaches, hopefully matches like tonight during the rest of the season will be a learning curve for all in that department to turn a really promising and already fruitful tactic into a potential promotion one.

ps I appreciate he's trying to fit in several players' needs into our tactics but any game that Pavel isn't playing wide on the right is a small crime. He works hard for the team but he doesn't get to do the one thing he is brilliant at in the middle of the pitch.
Villa match thread on 14:38 - Apr 4 with 3268 viewsFredManRave

Villa match thread on 11:07 - Apr 4 by Watford_Ranger

No idea why but I'm both going to the game and going with optimism. Villa are on very good form but I believe in this group of players (naively?).

Say "Hi" to optimism for me. It's been a while since I've seen him.

As I mentioned on the Derby thread, we are now paying the price of having the luxury of nothing to play for. Can only see a Villa win albeit a narrow one.

1-0

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

Villa match thread on 16:25 - Apr 4 with 3173 viewsJAPRANGERS

Villa match thread on 14:38 - Apr 4 by FredManRave

As I mentioned on the Derby thread, we are now paying the price of having the luxury of nothing to play for. Can only see a Villa win albeit a narrow one.

1-0

Are we definitely 1000% safe for sure??
Villa match thread on 16:27 - Apr 4 with 3169 viewsJAPRANGERS

Can we get a result tonight?? Unlikely.

Villa 2 Rangers 0
Villa match thread on 16:38 - Apr 4 with 3145 viewseccles

2-0 villa. cant see us getting anything tonight
Villa match thread on 16:55 - Apr 4 with 3113 viewsWatford_Ranger

Villa match thread on 16:25 - Apr 4 by JAPRANGERS

Are we definitely 1000% safe for sure??

Technically no but if we lost every game remaining, it would require Forest/Brizzle/Blackburn to get 8/9/10 points respectively to overtake us and as they're all rubbish, I think the line will be 48 this year.
Villa match thread on 17:21 - Apr 4 with 3067 viewsPunteR

1-2 QPR...I think we're shaping up to be a half decent championship team. Friday was a bad day at the office.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Villa match thread on 17:31 - Apr 4 with 3042 viewsdaveB

I think we'll lose all 3 games this week and mass panic will set in before we win the last 2 home games and finish roughly where we are now
Villa match thread on 17:43 - Apr 4 with 3021 viewsWadR

Think he'll go with the two foreign lads (© I.Holloway) up top considering this is the 2nd game of 3 within a week and there's effectively nothing to play for.

I agree with what was said above that Wszolek playing that role where he's very narrow out of position is kind of a waste.

What I'd like to see is a similar line-up to versus Barnsley at home, when I thought we played some excellent stuff at times. As far as I can remember, that's the only time we've started all 3 of Luongo, Manning and Freeman and it showed, as we played through the midfield neatly and effectively. In light of Friday's game and the general panic of our midfielders and forwards in possession, I think it would help to have another body in there.
Something like:
Smithies
Furlong Onuoha Perch Bidwell
Hall
Freeman Manning Luongo Ngbakoto
Sylla
Villa match thread on 17:48 - Apr 4 with 3013 viewsNorthernr

Villa match thread on 17:43 - Apr 4 by WadR

Think he'll go with the two foreign lads (© I.Holloway) up top considering this is the 2nd game of 3 within a week and there's effectively nothing to play for.

I agree with what was said above that Wszolek playing that role where he's very narrow out of position is kind of a waste.

What I'd like to see is a similar line-up to versus Barnsley at home, when I thought we played some excellent stuff at times. As far as I can remember, that's the only time we've started all 3 of Luongo, Manning and Freeman and it showed, as we played through the midfield neatly and effectively. In light of Friday's game and the general panic of our midfielders and forwards in possession, I think it would help to have another body in there.
Something like:
Smithies
Furlong Onuoha Perch Bidwell
Hall
Freeman Manning Luongo Ngbakoto
Sylla

As ever, the team selection is likely to be a good deal more interesting than the match itself.
Villa match thread on 17:49 - Apr 4 with 3013 viewssimmo

I think reaching 50 points and Ollie finally talking about how we're finally safe has meant we've taken our foot off the gas and booking out rooms in Dubai. I could be wrong of course, tonight will go some way to showing us that.

Nailed on Villa win for me but I have accidentally put £5 on QPR to win 2-1 so maybe that's fate...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Villa match thread on 18:09 - Apr 4 with 2985 viewsJAPRANGERS

Villa match thread on 17:48 - Apr 4 by Northernr

As ever, the team selection is likely to be a good deal more interesting than the match itself.

Are you missing the game tonight Clive?? Business trip to some exotic part of the world??
Villa match thread on 18:15 - Apr 4 with 2963 viewsNorthernr

Villa match thread on 18:09 - Apr 4 by JAPRANGERS

Are you missing the game tonight Clive?? Business trip to some exotic part of the world??

Well I'm missing the game but the business trip is to Cannes which is a fcking shthole so not exotic.
Villa match thread on 18:23 - Apr 4 with 2938 viewsJAPRANGERS

Villa match thread on 18:15 - Apr 4 by Northernr

Well I'm missing the game but the business trip is to Cannes which is a fcking shthole so not exotic.

Villa match thread on 18:51 - Apr 4 with 2861 viewsGloucs_R

Think Ollie thinks we are safe and giving a few lads a game to see what they can do tonight!!

Poll: Are we staying up?

Villa match thread on 19:03 - Apr 4 with 2776 viewsBoston

Villa match thread on 14:38 - Apr 4 by FredManRave

1-0

Villa have even less to play for.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Villa match thread on 19:05 - Apr 4 with 2763 viewsbosh67

Queens Park Rangers: Smithies; Furlong, Onuoha, Hall, Bidwell; Mackie, Ngbakoto, Goss, Luongo, Freeman; Sylla.

Subs: Ingram, Washington, Wszolek, Smith, Perch, Petrasso, Manning.

4-5-1?
[Post edited 4 Apr 2017 19:07]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Villa match thread on 19:13 - Apr 4 with 2695 viewsHayesender

I don't like it when Sylla starts games. I think he's far more affective coming off the bench

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Villa match thread on 19:31 - Apr 4 with 2577 viewsBoston

Villa match thread on 19:13 - Apr 4 by Hayesender

I don't like it when Sylla starts games. I think he's far more affective coming off the bench

Five changes to the starting line up.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024