Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Before Your Generation Music 07:11 - Apr 8 with 4717 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

...that you love. The stuff you were too young to see live but can't get enough of.

Before Your Generation Music on 07:35 - Apr 8 with 4149 viewsLblock

Nice one.

I do feel slightly blessed to have had the Ska explosion when I was around 14 years old, it did frustrate me though that I was too (much too young) young to go out and truly enjoy it. I was limited to local discos and secreted bottles of pink lady etc. Then, 4 or 5 years later the acid house explosion kicked in justvat the right time and I've been a house head ever since.

The answer to you question is however, for me, 70's disco and early 80's soul. Pure class. How I'd of loved to have lived those times. I'm sure my life would've been pure geared to the weekends and a love for hedonism. It was in the 90's! The music from that period I totally love and I like the fact I still stumble across gems I might never of heard before plus the amount of samples used from this period / genre speaks for itself

Honourable mentions go to rock n roll. That sound crafted my love of music -- it's all down to my Dad whom I owe everything to. I picked up his passion for music and to this day it's still a big love of his.

My tastes are divide and generation crossing. I'd liked to have lived the 50's with big hand rat pack sounds also appealing. I had to miss the game last night due to those vvankers Sky moving it as we had tickets to the Etta James Story at Cadogan Hall. What a fantastic show it was with the cover band doing justice to her music and more; interesting life doesn't do it justice

Top thread Bazza... anything of this ilk gets my juices flowing

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Before Your Generation Music on 07:46 - Apr 8 with 4146 views18StoneOfHoop

I wish I had been 15 not just 2 years old when Stax came to Europe for the first time *sigh*

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Before Your Generation Music on 08:38 - Apr 8 with 4125 viewsPunteR

I would have liked to experienced the 60s. Having my mind blown hearing the likes of Hendrix, The Kinks, The Who, the Stones etc for the first time ever.
However, I wish I was old enough in 1988 to go to the original acid house partys and raves.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Before Your Generation Music on 08:46 - Apr 8 with 4116 viewsDorse

Bob Marley. Legend.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Before Your Generation Music on 09:22 - Apr 8 with 4090 viewswood_hoop

Before Your Generation Music on 07:35 - Apr 8 by Lblock

Nice one.

I do feel slightly blessed to have had the Ska explosion when I was around 14 years old, it did frustrate me though that I was too (much too young) young to go out and truly enjoy it. I was limited to local discos and secreted bottles of pink lady etc. Then, 4 or 5 years later the acid house explosion kicked in justvat the right time and I've been a house head ever since.

The answer to you question is however, for me, 70's disco and early 80's soul. Pure class. How I'd of loved to have lived those times. I'm sure my life would've been pure geared to the weekends and a love for hedonism. It was in the 90's! The music from that period I totally love and I like the fact I still stumble across gems I might never of heard before plus the amount of samples used from this period / genre speaks for itself

Honourable mentions go to rock n roll. That sound crafted my love of music -- it's all down to my Dad whom I owe everything to. I picked up his passion for music and to this day it's still a big love of his.

My tastes are divide and generation crossing. I'd liked to have lived the 50's with big hand rat pack sounds also appealing. I had to miss the game last night due to those vvankers Sky moving it as we had tickets to the Etta James Story at Cadogan Hall. What a fantastic show it was with the cover band doing justice to her music and more; interesting life doesn't do it justice

Top thread Bazza... anything of this ilk gets my juices flowing

'The answer to you question is however, for me, 70's disco and early 80's soul. Pure class. How I'd of loved to have lived those times'

I did, and yes certainly was a time of pure hedonism, clubbing nearly every night of the week, work really was just a means to fund many nights of pure pleasure.

Grew up in a jazz and ska household in the early sixties, but my early love was Motown and still to this day can't get enough, weaned on Disco in my early/late teens, no such thing as not dancing, if you wanted to catch the eyes of the fillies you had no choice but to shake your booty, much was commercial band wagon crap but if you knew where to go the music really did take over and many a night just sheer musical bliss.

My missed generation would be rock & roll, to me the pioneers of where music/hedonism really took over the lives of a young generation.

Will remain a 'soul boy' until my last days, even if that means 'doing my stuff' on a zimmer frame.
Before Your Generation Music on 10:36 - Apr 8 with 4044 viewsRamseyR

Got into the Doors big time about 10 or 12 years ago.

It was only the availability of music online that allowed me the opportunity to listen to more of their stuff, other than the usual three or four tunes you would normally hear.

To be fair, they did some crap as well, but if I ever I was deserted on a desert island and could only listen to the music of one band again, it would have to be the Doors for the sheer variety and theatre.

Was lucky enough to see the Riders Of The Storm, as they were then known, live twice about 10 years ago, when they were fronted by Ian Astbury (which swayed it for me as I was a bit fan of Southern Death Cult back in the day) and still had the originals Bobby Kreiger & Ray Manzerik.
Ian Astbury has since moved on and Ray Manzerik the keyboard player has passed away, so unlikely to happen again.

Wish I'd been around to see them at their finest though with Jim Morrison
Before Your Generation Music on 10:45 - Apr 8 with 4041 viewswood_hoop

Sunny day, door to the garden wide open, picking my Grand National selections, a few oldies that got me on my music loving road.

Before Your Generation Music on 11:29 - Apr 8 with 4011 viewsMrSheen

Shostakovich died when I was 11, but Wagner, Sibelius, Bruckner and Beethoven were all gone before I was born. Though the composers and many of their great interpreters are no longer around, you can still enjoy their work live. Treat yourself.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2017 11:29]
Login to get fewer ads

Before Your Generation Music on 13:42 - Apr 8 with 3955 viewskensalriser

Before Your Generation Music on 08:38 - Apr 8 by PunteR

I would have liked to experienced the 60s. Having my mind blown hearing the likes of Hendrix, The Kinks, The Who, the Stones etc for the first time ever.
However, I wish I was old enough in 1988 to go to the original acid house partys and raves.

Incredible times.

http://www.hedonism1988.co.uk/
[Post edited 8 Apr 2017 13:45]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Before Your Generation Music on 19:28 - Apr 8 with 3882 viewsMonahoop

Before Your Generation Music on 07:46 - Apr 8 by 18StoneOfHoop

I wish I had been 15 not just 2 years old when Stax came to Europe for the first time *sigh*

My sentiments entirely. I would love to have seen those Stax soul artists especially Otis Redding. In fact I would have loved to have been around when the British beat boom got underway in '63/64. I was only a littl'un then. Not so keen on early Beatles, but I love the old Stones, Who, Kinks, Animals and Yardbirds stuff. Going back further to the 40's and 50's, I dig the swing and R n B stuff of that time. Louie Jordan, Bo Diddly, Little Walter etc . Magic.
I grew up on punk and new wave stuff in the 70's. Love a lot of it to bits still. As I've got older, my tastes in music have become quite eclectic. In my household you will hear anything from blues, jazz, soul, ska, punk/post punk, folk, bluegrass even a dollop of classical now and then. You won't hear metal, prog rock, acid house, Rap, most 80's stuff or Irish country.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Before Your Generation Music on 19:59 - Apr 8 with 3863 viewsHantsR

Before Your Generation Music on 07:46 - Apr 8 by 18StoneOfHoop

Before my generation would be pre-elvis I guess as that's the time I first really became a pop/rock music fan. Not sure how much I would like to have heard live apart from Ella Fitzgerald.

18 stone - your selection is my most enduring music and the nearest I got to that was the Ram Jam Club in 1966.
Before Your Generation Music on 20:14 - Apr 8 with 3847 viewsW12SG2

Before Your Generation Music on 13:42 - Apr 8 by kensalriser

Incredible times.

Reminds me of the Indulge parties in Loughborough Junction, 94 onwards. Any other veterans here?
Before Your Generation Music on 20:51 - Apr 8 with 3827 viewsPunteR

Incredible times.

"Faver was the Don."

Thanks for that link Kensal, enjoyed reading that.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Before Your Generation Music on 21:39 - Apr 8 with 3796 viewsW12SG2

Incredible times.

Great history of the time but a bit snotty about the rare groove scene. Best thing about those times was the mix - house, jazz -dance, rare groove, go-go etc. My introduction was 80s soul, part of the casual culture, but I was too young for the club's. Talking to someone recently, I realised I properly got into Rangers when the Jam split up. They were a religion and I needed to fill that gap. Despite all the Shiite, no regrets and I've passed the curse on to my sons.
Before Your Generation Music on 23:37 - Apr 8 with 3751 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The 60's for me

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Before Your Generation Music on 23:41 - Apr 8 with 3748 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Before Your Generation Music on 23:43 - Apr 8 with 3747 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Before Your Generation Music on 23:48 - Apr 8 with 3743 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Before Your Generation Music on 23:55 - Apr 8 with 3732 viewsPommyhoop

verily

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Before Your Generation Music on 00:00 - Apr 9 with 3728 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Before Your Generation Music on 00:48 - Apr 9 with 3713 views18StoneOfHoop

Before Your Generation Music on 19:59 - Apr 8 by HantsR

Before my generation would be pre-elvis I guess as that's the time I first really became a pop/rock music fan. Not sure how much I would like to have heard live apart from Ella Fitzgerald.

18 stone - your selection is my most enduring music and the nearest I got to that was the Ram Jam Club in 1966.

The Original Inspiration -

The Passionate Tribute -
Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno!
Back in '68 in a sweaty club
(Oh, Geno)
Before Jimmy's Machine and The Rocksteady Rub
(Oh, Geno)
On a night when flowers didn't suit my shoes
After a week of flunkin' and bunkin' school
The lowest head in the crowd that night
Just practicin' steps and keepin' outta the fights
Academic inspiration, you gave me none
But you were Michael the lover
The fighter that won
But now just look at me as I'm looking down at you
No, I'm not bein' flash, It's what I'm built to do
That man took the stage, his towel was swingin' high
(Oh Geno)
This man was my bombers, my Dexy's, my high
(Oh, Geno)
How the crowd, they all hailed you, and chanted your name
But they never knew like we knew
Me and you we're the same…

The iconic album cover features a photograph of a thirteen-year-old Irish Catholic boy carrying his belongings after being forced from his home in Belfast, Northern Ireland because of civil unrest in 1971. The photo was included in the Evening Standard the next day and was picked up by the band nine years later. The boy later identified himself as Anthony O'Shaughnessy. He stated that "There were tensions simmering for about three days. People did not know what was going to happen. I thought it was a dream and in the morning everything would be okay, I don't even remember the photographer doing the picture." Upon the choice of the image Rowland explained "I wanted a picture of unrest. It could have been from anywhere but I was secretly glad that it was from Ireland." The original sleeve also contained an account of the band's history along with various phrases printed with the song titles, including quotes from Brendan Behan's book Borstal Boy and the Book of Psalms.

The key seminal album for me circa 1980 as a spotty gloomy shy girl friend free 15 year old. Searching For The Young Soul Rebels
I might never have got to the 90's without the succour of Kevin Rowland's intense passion projection.

KR in return had seen Geno when he was also but 15
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 0:51]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Before Your Generation Music on 14:46 - Apr 9 with 3629 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Another vote for Stax, here, and Otis in particular.

A lot of my collection is older, the thirst for new music to love brings us to some fantastic places. Love ska, reggae, two-tone, good rock, good soul, folk, trad, some classical.

But it always come back to Sothern Soul with me with Stax and Otis out on front.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Before Your Generation Music on 16:31 - Apr 9 with 3595 viewsBoston

Before Your Generation Music on 08:38 - Apr 8 by PunteR

I've been told acid attacks are very popular in London at the moment.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Before Your Generation Music on 18:38 - Apr 9 with 3550 viewsVancouverHoop

Before Your Generation Music on 14:46 - Apr 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Another vote for Stax, here, and Otis in particular.

A lot of my collection is older, the thirst for new music to love brings us to some fantastic places. Love ska, reggae, two-tone, good rock, good soul, folk, trad, some classical.

But it always come back to Sothern Soul with me with Stax and Otis out on front.

I was lucky to have been at the first show of the Stax/Volt revue at Finsbury Park Astoria.

A mate of a mate had got four tickets, another friend and I ran into them both in Stevenage Town Centre early that afternoon, and they asked we wanted to use the two spares. Well, sure!

It was an amazing experience in so many ways. First, it was the first half-and-half black and white audience I'd been part of. Though a big mod town (hence the love of Stax) Stevenage was very whitebread in the 60s. The noise was was incredible, mostly from teenage girls in the front of stalls. We were about three-quarters of the way back, and the 5'5" 50+ year-old Irish usherette had to brusquely move four very large dudes out of our seats – something I doubt we'd have had the courage to do! The intensity just built and built from the moment Booker T & the MGs hit the stage until Otis closed the show. Sam and Dave were incredible, and perhaps the most memorable performance, partly because they weren't particularly well known at the time, and like... just the way they moved! Up and down off the stage, back on, driving the teenyboppers crazy. And of course, there was Otis. In his pink suit with half-mast trousers (the suits got brighter, the bigger the act – Arthur Conley and Eddie Floyd had to make do with beige or brown.) He was awesome, such a big guy the stage almost seemed too small for him. One of my memories is of a persistent little female voice, between songs, pleading "Sing 'Good to Me' babe!.. Oh, man sing 'Good to Me' !... Oh, puuuuhlease sing 'Good to Me'!"

Sadly he never did. The song list for everyone was nailed down and everything seemed timed to the second.

We left exhausted and overwhelmed. And wishing we had tickets for the next show.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 18:40]
Before Your Generation Music on 18:55 - Apr 9 with 3539 viewsVancouverHoop

As to artists before my time I wish I'd seen. I suppose Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane would qualify... just.

From farther back – in the mid 30s – Teddy Grace was perhaps the first white woman to "sing black" convincingly. I love the sinuous warmth of her voice. She had an interesting and, ultimately, rather sad life, if you want to look her up.

And, from 1927 one of the most profoundly moving pieces of music written in the past century, 'Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground, by Blind Willie Johnson.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024