Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coal 09:39 - Apr 22 with 7459 viewsexiled_dictator

bo, not joe, cherrryll, andy or cashley, but coal.
as in miners.
as in arthur scargill, margaret thatcher.
that coal.

anyways,.....

it seems that britain no longer needs it.
or no longer uses it.
yesterday was the first coal-free day in britain since industrial revolution.
now that's impressive to me, as coal is a dirty fossil fuel that pollutes and kills.
so whats replaced coal?
well, according to gridwatch.co.uk, around half of british energy on friday came from natural gas, with about a quarter coming from nuclear plants.
wind, biomass, and imported energy were also used.
which is good, n'est pas?
even i have moved from a v8 powered vehicle to an electric one, and although someone somewhere has to make that electricity, its still much cheaper to run, and much more environmentally friendly.
ok, so the initial cost is a bit higher, but i keep my cars for years, pile on the miles, and pound them to pieces so when i am done with them, so is anyone else,
so this is a good thing, progress, and must me applauded.

shame about the num then

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Coal on 09:43 - Apr 22 with 7448 viewsToast_R

Oil is still the big problem though. It's going to run out eventually and the world still relies on it for every day life. If that sh*t can be replicated synthetically in the future, it will change the world as we know it.
Coal on 10:04 - Apr 22 with 7414 viewsexiled_dictator

Coal on 09:43 - Apr 22 by Toast_R

Oil is still the big problem though. It's going to run out eventually and the world still relies on it for every day life. If that sh*t can be replicated synthetically in the future, it will change the world as we know it.

indeed,

but too many people in power still have serious vested interests and make way too much money for alternatives to be developed or phased in.

yet.

when they're dead and gone, then maybe.
battery power research was deemed illegal and against god's will under the bush clan, because they are oil guys.
you will see in 10 years time how much better batteries are, and how much more range will be available from todays 300 miles to tens of thousands.
the idea of these oil men not being able to continue fleecing us, or even countries in the gulf simply running out of money, is just too much for some to perceive, so things are kept sort of as they are.

but as you say, things will change.

Coal on 10:18 - Apr 22 with 7404 viewsbosh67

Hydrogen. That's the future. Has been for ages.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Coal on 10:23 - Apr 22 with 7398 viewsexiled_dictator

Coal on 10:18 - Apr 22 by bosh67

possibly, even though many refer to the hindenburg disaster, which was engineered by the us military, hydrogen could be the way.
although there are only a handful of cars that actually run on hydrogen, with like a dozen refilling stations, so still a looooooooong way to go.

Coal on 10:34 - Apr 22 with 7386 viewsMrSheen

Coal on 09:43 - Apr 22 by Toast_R

Oil products have been synthesised from coal for nearly a century, and more recently from sugar and corn, but the real thing has always been cheaper, so far. No need to panic.
Coal on 10:44 - Apr 22 with 7376 views2Thomas2Bowles

Coal on 10:34 - Apr 22 by MrSheen

Oil products have been synthesised from coal for nearly a century, and more recently from sugar and corn, but the real thing has always been cheaper, so far. No need to panic.

Fecking big magnifying glasses ... simples....

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Coal on 10:53 - Apr 22 with 7367 viewsMrSheen

Coal on 10:44 - Apr 22 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Fecking big magnifying glasses ... simples....

That has been tried, deflecting the sun from mirrors and/or lenses on to a tank of water to heat it and drive a turbine. Have a go in your garden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power
Coal on 11:28 - Apr 22 with 7342 views2Thomas2Bowles

Coal on 10:53 - Apr 22 by MrSheen

That has been tried, deflecting the sun from mirrors and/or lenses on to a tank of water to heat it and drive a turbine. Have a go in your garden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power

Well I knew that.. It was not me that burnt down that haystack in 1976

Honest guv

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

Coal on 11:42 - Apr 22 with 7323 viewsBromleyHoop

Coal on 11:28 - Apr 22 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Honest guv

We are uniquely positioned to take advantage of wind and wave power in this country instead we insist on allowing the French and Chinese to fund our Nuclear power and to be worryingly reliant on purchasing gas from Russia. I know Nuclear power is cheap to produce but for me, long term, renewable energy is an absolute no brainer

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Coal on 11:51 - Apr 22 with 7308 viewsWrightUp5hit___

If the politicians weren't in thrall to the oil companies and not be forever chasing "sexy" solutions and spend a little more time actually trying to understand technology.

If the greens could open their minds a little

If the motor industry wasn't going the wrong way up a one way street.

We could spend a little more on improving drilling technology, researching better heat exchangers and steam turbines and be enjoying the benefits of more energy than we could ever exhaust.

Geothermal
Coal on 12:00 - Apr 22 with 7301 viewsexiled_dictator

Coal on 11:42 - Apr 22 by BromleyHoop

We are uniquely positioned to take advantage of wind and wave power in this country instead we insist on allowing the French and Chinese to fund our Nuclear power and to be worryingly reliant on purchasing gas from Russia. I know Nuclear power is cheap to produce but for me, long term, renewable energy is an absolute no brainer

now just stop that bolshevism right now, laddie.
just by taxing our hard earned money, the government has the god given right to spend it how the devil it wishes.
and if giving our hard taxed money to the froggies, the chinks and the commies is what they want to do, who are you to question it?

Coal on 13:23 - Apr 22 with 7248 viewsBoston

Coal on 11:28 - Apr 22 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Honest guv

Also works well with Ants and other small creatures.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Coal on 14:16 - Apr 24 with 7109 viewsR_from_afar

Coal on 11:42 - Apr 22 by BromleyHoop

Great point re. wind and solar. Tidal power also has huge potential in the UK; the Cardiff Bay scheme alone could produce almost as much power as Hinckley C but more reliably, more safely and at a much lower cost plus it would have a much longer working life. Nuclear power was once expected to be a very cheap option but history has shown that the cost keeps on rising whereas renewables tend to get cheaper. Hinckley C, if the design can ever be built (that design has never been succesfully completed) will produce some of the most expensive energy the world has ever seen. Onshore wind is now the cheapest source of new energy.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Coal on 15:05 - Apr 24 with 7065 viewskensalriser

Does it matter?

Humankind is so destructive and so stupid that it will eventually suffocate in its own filth and take down most of the rest of life with it.

Yours misanthropically,
KR

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Coal on 15:13 - Apr 24 with 7037 viewsBoston

Coal on 15:05 - Apr 24 by kensalriser

Does it matter?

Humankind is so destructive and so stupid that it will eventually suffocate in its own filth and take down most of the rest of life with it.

Yours misanthropically,
KR

Personally, I blame the white people.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Coal on 15:29 - Apr 24 with 7020 viewsisawqpratwcity

Coal on 15:13 - Apr 24 by Boston

Personally, I blame the white people.

The Industrial Revolution was proudly British.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Coal on 16:45 - Apr 24 with 6989 viewsTacticalR

There was an article a couple of weeks explaining ago why Trump's plan to repeal the Clean Power Plan won't create many coal jobs. In short, while repealing the plan might slow the decline in coal consumption, the beneficiaries would be the more productive open cast mines in Wyoming and Montana rather than the older mines of Pennsylvania and West Virginia where Trump campaigned.

Donald Trump’s power plan: Why US coal jobs are not coming back
https://www.ft.com/content/7dd52826-13a8-11e7-80f4-13e067d5072c

Also available as a (free) podcast: Why Trump can’t bring back US coal jobs
https://overcast.fm/+FaSRTuphU

Air hostess clique

Coal on 22:35 - Apr 24 with 6869 viewsBromleyHoop

A plan to build a £1.1bn Island on the Dogger Bank in the North Sea harvesting wind and wave powers is hugely exciting. Although it's a joint UK, Dutch and German plan, so not sure how that works post Brexit.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 22:39]

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Coal on 23:29 - Apr 24 with 6824 viewsFredManRave

Coal on 13:23 - Apr 22 by Boston

Also works well with Ants and other small creatures.

Are you suggesting it could work on Ant and Dec?!

They'd end up in the Special Bairns Unit.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 23:29]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Coal on 09:00 - Apr 25 with 6747 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Coal on 10:18 - Apr 22 by bosh67

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Coal on 09:58 - Apr 25 with 6720 viewsisawqpratwcity

Coal on 09:00 - Apr 25 by Metallica_Hoop

You do know that there is such a thing as Metallic Hydrogen? Wiki describes it as a kind of 'degenerate matter'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Coal on 11:04 - Apr 25 with 6688 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Coal on 09:58 - Apr 25 by isawqpratwcity

You do know that there is such a thing as Metallic Hydrogen? Wiki describes it as a kind of 'degenerate matter'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen

'Metallization of hydrogen' Sounds like the ultimate space rock concept album.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024