Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The answer is 4-2-3-1 14:16 - Apr 24 with 4159 viewsPetros

Smithies

new def, new def, new def. new def.

Hall Manning

Wszolek Freeman Washington

Smith

Stability.fluidity. Pace, craft. And a new defence. (Though prepared to hear arguments for Onuoha, Furlong).

Presto.
The answer is 4-2-3-1 on 16:00 - Apr 25 with 576 viewsDorse

The answer is 4-2-3-1 on 15:42 - Apr 25 by FDC

4-2-3-1 definitely fell out of fashion on here during JFH's reign. A few argued that it wasn't attacking enough because of the single striker.

I actually think it's a good 'all rounder': you've got two deep midfielders protecting your CBs, you've got three attacking midfielders playing off the striker so needn't be defensive at all (see our purple patch with Magilton), and you've got width too.

As with all formations, it's how they're executed really.

Brazil in 2002 used a version of it: Kleberson and Gilberto played deep in front of their (frankly dodgy) centre-backs which allowed Cafu and Roberto Carlos to play further forward. Fat Ronaldo played as the point with Ronaldinho and Rivaldo joining up to make a 3 in possession.

We're unlikely to play like that but it is a version that worked. For us, playing Hall and Goss (?) in the middle would allow Freeman, Wzsolek and perhaps Yeni to join up with whoever is on point. My main concern is that we have a tendency to drop off the front man leaving a huge gap, so 4-2-3-1 becomes 4-5-0-1.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The answer is 4-2-3-1 on 16:07 - Apr 25 with 570 viewsFDC

The answer is 4-2-3-1 on 16:00 - Apr 25 by Dorse

Brazil in 2002 used a version of it: Kleberson and Gilberto played deep in front of their (frankly dodgy) centre-backs which allowed Cafu and Roberto Carlos to play further forward. Fat Ronaldo played as the point with Ronaldinho and Rivaldo joining up to make a 3 in possession.

We're unlikely to play like that but it is a version that worked. For us, playing Hall and Goss (?) in the middle would allow Freeman, Wzsolek and perhaps Yeni to join up with whoever is on point. My main concern is that we have a tendency to drop off the front man leaving a huge gap, so 4-2-3-1 becomes 4-5-0-1.

I think you need fast, hard working wide players - Wszolek for example could be well suited to it.
The answer is 4-2-3-1 on 16:17 - Apr 25 with 556 viewsdaveB

The answer is 4-2-3-1 on 15:42 - Apr 25 by FDC

4-2-3-1 definitely fell out of fashion on here during JFH's reign. A few argued that it wasn't attacking enough because of the single striker.

I actually think it's a good 'all rounder': you've got two deep midfielders protecting your CBs, you've got three attacking midfielders playing off the striker so needn't be defensive at all (see our purple patch with Magilton), and you've got width too.

As with all formations, it's how they're executed really.

One thing Redknapp was right on is that it's all about the players and you could have the best tactical plan in the world but if your players don't know how to play that way or are unable to perform that way then it won't work.

For 4-2-3-1 to work you need a target man and midfield players who want to get in around him. Under JFH we didn't really do that enough and when the 1 was Washington it was a waste of time as the poor fella couldn't play that role.

I think Holloway has tried to get the best out of what he has, he has strikers who play better in a front two and a defence that needs as much protection as possible. This has meant we really lack width in the team now, finding the right balance is a big problem but I think he was on the right track until about a month ago.
The answer is 4-2-3-1 on 16:18 - Apr 25 with 556 viewsfrancisbowles

If I remember correctly, we were playing 4231 when Manning made his debut at Wolves with Wsolek wide right and Sylla up top.

Stopped a run of six of losses!
The answer is 4-2-3-1 on 20:12 - Apr 25 with 507 viewsRoller

Smithies

Furlong, Onuoha, Hall, Robinson

Luongo, Manning

Wszolek, Freeman, Lua Lua

Smith

Easy, this manager lark.......
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024