Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. 23:25 - Apr 26 with 2471 viewshubble

..and it will only get worse with a larger Tory majority: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/apr/26/uk-world-press-freedom-index-repor

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 00:55 - Apr 27 with 2385 viewsBoston

Hud, it is the tide. No political party is going to change the way the the water is flowing. The British Public don't care.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 1:28]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 08:13 - Apr 27 with 2270 viewshubble

Tides move both ways Ian, but for sure, governments don't like the internet; the free sharing of information between ordinary people totally freaks them out. They're used to controlling the agenda through a largely acquiescent media, so this is a reaction to that. But 40th place for Britain is shocking. But although you say no political party will change the direction we're going, I'm not so sure. No government, certainly. Not under this system. But there's no doubting the Tories' intentions with a proposal for a new espionage act that could criminalise journalists and whistleblowers as spies on the cards. This is backdoor totalitarianism.

You also say the British public don't care. En masse, perhaps. Most seem happily comatose in regard to the machinations of their government/s. Globally though there is another tide flowing in the opposite direction to totalitarianism. Enough people have woken up to the fact that the Emperor is naked (thanks to the internet) and also to the fact that we can organise, share information and cooperate without interference from governments or middle-men. The question is, which way will it go ultimately? Will the attraction of freedom win, or will Stockholm Syndrome triumph over the masses?
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 08:51 - Apr 27 with 2207 views1BobbyHazell

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 08:13 - Apr 27 by hubble

Tides move both ways Ian, but for sure, governments don't like the internet; the free sharing of information between ordinary people totally freaks them out. They're used to controlling the agenda through a largely acquiescent media, so this is a reaction to that. But 40th place for Britain is shocking. But although you say no political party will change the direction we're going, I'm not so sure. No government, certainly. Not under this system. But there's no doubting the Tories' intentions with a proposal for a new espionage act that could criminalise journalists and whistleblowers as spies on the cards. This is backdoor totalitarianism.

You also say the British public don't care. En masse, perhaps. Most seem happily comatose in regard to the machinations of their government/s. Globally though there is another tide flowing in the opposite direction to totalitarianism. Enough people have woken up to the fact that the Emperor is naked (thanks to the internet) and also to the fact that we can organise, share information and cooperate without interference from governments or middle-men. The question is, which way will it go ultimately? Will the attraction of freedom win, or will Stockholm Syndrome triumph over the masses?

They're coming after the Internet too.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/technology/net-neutrality.html
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 08:53 - Apr 27 with 2214 viewsstumbleandfall

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 08:13 - Apr 27 by hubble

You talk about Tory backdoor Totalitarianism and I totally agree, The problem is the majority of the British public are fully on board with this agenda. It's like stupid Turkeys voting for Xmas.

When you have the 3/4th largest political party in this country advocating a yearly compulsory forced genital check for young woman and few pull them up on it, you know the country has gone to the dogs.
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 08:59 - Apr 27 with 2197 viewsNorthernr

Problem with this specific point on press freedom is a small section of the press and journalists in this country have behaved, and continue to do so in the case of the Mail and The Sun, like utterly reprehensible, despicable cnts while wittering on about their "craft".

As a result people hate journalists almost as much as they hate politicians so whenever there's a story like this the reaction for many is indifference or even more positive than that when, clearly, it's a very bad thing.
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 09:02 - Apr 27 with 2189 views2Thomas2Bowles

What you got to hide, if you have nothing to hide why are you so worried...

Don't you just love that! sadly most people do go along with that.

I'm sure I read a few years back that Labour in their last term passed more laws on surveillance than any other government.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 09:18 - Apr 27 with 2144 views2Thomas2Bowles

I wish the would shut up that Laura Kuenssberg or send Moyes round to give her a slap.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 10:36 - Apr 27 with 2032 viewsQPR_John

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 08:53 - Apr 27 by stumbleandfall

You talk about Tory backdoor Totalitarianism and I totally agree, The problem is the majority of the British public are fully on board with this agenda. It's like stupid Turkeys voting for Xmas.

When you have the 3/4th largest political party in this country advocating a yearly compulsory forced genital check for young woman and few pull them up on it, you know the country has gone to the dogs.

"The problem is the majority of the British public are fully on board with this agenda. It's like stupid Turkeys voting for Xmas. "

If that is the problem surely the only answer is for a coup and a dictatorship where the masses do not have a say
Login to get fewer ads

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 11:04 - Apr 27 with 1990 viewsstumbleandfall

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 10:36 - Apr 27 by QPR_John

"The problem is the majority of the British public are fully on board with this agenda. It's like stupid Turkeys voting for Xmas. "

If that is the problem surely the only answer is for a coup and a dictatorship where the masses do not have a say

Nah. I have a lot of hope that future generations will save us. Tilt the electoral balance.
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 11:18 - Apr 27 with 1969 viewskensalriser

Everything will be OK once we have Strong & Stable leadership - like China.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 11:32 - Apr 27 with 1939 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I've mostly given up on the news now. Except the Big Issue.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 11:50 - Apr 27 with 1902 viewsPhildo

I actually think there is something in human nature no doubt evolutionary which provides that you protect what you know or are a part of. For example if a QPR fan is accused of doing something wrong I will tend to want to argue their case and give them a benefit of the doubt. If you tell me its a Chelsea fan i will think he definitely did it. This basic human instinct plays out in institutions which will bend over backwards to protect their own despite the evidence e.g. abuse of children in churches etc.

Political journalists and MPs (of all parties) live in similar places, go to university and work together and individually think they are trying to do the best they can. I think this is what we call the establishment- and how it looks out for its own. The internet has changed that as Hubble says but not sure how much because one elite just replaces another and they always have the seeds of their own corruption within.

I am a governor at a school and we are constantly trained/lectured in safeguarding - rightly so because of abuses years ago. We recently had an incident where a child was able to get away from school during the day because the child felt a teacher had unfairly picked on them. On day one the policy kicked in and the teacher and hierarchy in the school were highly apologetic, mortified etc. By day five they had justified it to themselves and basically were blaming the child. I pointed this out to them and they looked at me as if I had an extra head.

I conclude this type of behavior is innate in the human condition and whoever governs us will fall prey to it. A bit of a depressing view but i think an explanation of why institutions always corrupt themselves in the end despite whatever barriers are put in place,
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 13:36 - Apr 27 with 1776 viewsTGRRRSSS

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 09:02 - Apr 27 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I'm sure I read a few years back that Labour in their last term passed more laws on surveillance than any other government.

They did they're very much (or certainly are if you go for the Bliar route) part of this agenda.

Big Brother is here indeed.
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 14:00 - Apr 27 with 1741 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 11:50 - Apr 27 by Phildo

I actually think there is something in human nature no doubt evolutionary which provides that you protect what you know or are a part of. For example if a QPR fan is accused of doing something wrong I will tend to want to argue their case and give them a benefit of the doubt. If you tell me its a Chelsea fan i will think he definitely did it. This basic human instinct plays out in institutions which will bend over backwards to protect their own despite the evidence e.g. abuse of children in churches etc.

Political journalists and MPs (of all parties) live in similar places, go to university and work together and individually think they are trying to do the best they can. I think this is what we call the establishment- and how it looks out for its own. The internet has changed that as Hubble says but not sure how much because one elite just replaces another and they always have the seeds of their own corruption within.

I am a governor at a school and we are constantly trained/lectured in safeguarding - rightly so because of abuses years ago. We recently had an incident where a child was able to get away from school during the day because the child felt a teacher had unfairly picked on them. On day one the policy kicked in and the teacher and hierarchy in the school were highly apologetic, mortified etc. By day five they had justified it to themselves and basically were blaming the child. I pointed this out to them and they looked at me as if I had an extra head.

I conclude this type of behavior is innate in the human condition and whoever governs us will fall prey to it. A bit of a depressing view but i think an explanation of why institutions always corrupt themselves in the end despite whatever barriers are put in place,

I like your viewpoint. It's easy to think of an establishment that sits around a table behind closed doors sipping Sherry. However, it's really an ever evolving combination of like minded individuals, making decisions for their own self interest.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 15:53 - Apr 27 with 1577 viewsplasmahoop

And despite this ranking, the guardian is still free to spout left wing drivel every day
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 16:19 - Apr 27 with 1535 viewskensalriser

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 15:53 - Apr 27 by plasmahoop

And despite this ranking, the guardian is still free to spout left wing drivel every day

Don't worry, left wing drivel will be outlawed as treachery by the Will of the People when the glorious Supreme Leader is elected with 90% of the popular vote.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 20:17 - Apr 27 with 1394 viewsderbyhoop

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 15:53 - Apr 27 by plasmahoop

But on the other side, the Mail, the Express, the Sun are free to spout right wing drivel.

The issue is really whether the media, printed or otherwise, are free to hold the establishment to account, without finding charges being brought against them. Governments do not like being criticised and want to be able to pursue their agenda, whether that is beneficial or detrimental to the public they are supposed to be serving. Theresa May's attempts to bypass Parliament over Article 50 was a very recent example. If she gets the majority she hopes for she will then be free to interpret the referendum result any way she likes, with barely a hint of opposition.

Whatever side of the political divide you lie on, government without (effective) opposition tends to lead to bad government. It's better if the opposition is on the opposite side of the green benches but failing that the media should not be hamstrung in its criticism.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 21:36 - Apr 27 with 1305 viewsBoston

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 09:02 - Apr 27 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You would be correct, sir, just as the Barack Obama Administration did here....but I don't think things would have been that much different with another political party leadership. Frustrating though that many of the most vocal in their objections are either unaware, or so in the bag with ideology that they are unable to recognize what they have in fact endorsed.

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 21:45 - Apr 27 with 1293 viewsBoston

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 20:17 - Apr 27 by derbyhoop

But on the other side, the Mail, the Express, the Sun are free to spout right wing drivel.

The issue is really whether the media, printed or otherwise, are free to hold the establishment to account, without finding charges being brought against them. Governments do not like being criticised and want to be able to pursue their agenda, whether that is beneficial or detrimental to the public they are supposed to be serving. Theresa May's attempts to bypass Parliament over Article 50 was a very recent example. If she gets the majority she hopes for she will then be free to interpret the referendum result any way she likes, with barely a hint of opposition.

Whatever side of the political divide you lie on, government without (effective) opposition tends to lead to bad government. It's better if the opposition is on the opposite side of the green benches but failing that the media should not be hamstrung in its criticism.

Yeah, but when an opposition eventually assumes leadership we rarely experience a rewind of a policy that diminishes their power, if anything it's double downed.

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 22:50 - Apr 27 with 1229 viewsBklynRanger

If someone is going to reveal the name of a poster on a thread can they include that fact in the thread title? I hate to keep carping on about these points of etiquette but I wasn't​ at all ready to find out that Boston goes, apparently, by the name of Ian!
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 23:00 - Apr 27 with 1216 viewsFredManRave

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 22:50 - Apr 27 by BklynRanger

If someone is going to reveal the name of a poster on a thread can they include that fact in the thread title? I hate to keep carping on about these points of etiquette but I wasn't​ at all ready to find out that Boston goes, apparently, by the name of Ian!

Agreed. He just doesn't post like an Ian.

Yours.

Winston.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 23:05 - Apr 27 with 1205 viewsBrightonhoop

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 23:00 - Apr 27 by FredManRave

Agreed. He just doesn't post like an Ian.

Yours.

Winston.

I was relieved to learn he wasn't Daphne. At weekends.

Yours. Susan.
A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 23:33 - Apr 27 with 1178 viewshubble

A damning indictment of where this country is heading.. on 22:50 - Apr 27 by BklynRanger

He called me by my name - I therefore responded to him the same way.

That minor issue aside, there are plenty of pertinent points in this thread and it's good to read them. I think the bottom line here is that governments can't live with an open society (free internet, free press), because ultimately an open internet paves the way for government-free self-organisation. In the near future, one or other has to go: the old paradigm or the new. Which will it be?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024