Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... 13:58 - May 9 with 105113 viewshubble

..posted by a good friend of mine on Facebook, thought I'd share it on here. He's a former professional footballer (briefly for Birmingham City) and a former copper, working mainly out of Camden police station. He grew up in Kilburn/Queens Park. He's now a writer (among other things).

Worth a read I think, hope you enjoy, whether you agree with him or not, even when he veers off-topic...

"Thoughts of the Week (part 1)

Let’s start with a subheading. ‘Dear, oh dear Diane Abbot!’

In the upcoming General Election campaign and apart from the ‘Leader’ (no, not Gary Glitter) no one is more important for the Labour Party campaign than the Shadow Home Secretary. Why’s this? You ask.
The reason is obvious: Theresa May —the strong woman, Ms subtle, but steely - was the former Home Secretary. A position which she used to inflict near terminal ravages of the nation’s police forces. Under her auspices we saw numbers cut, benefits cut and police stations closed willy-nilly to cash in, short-term, on the booming (especially in London) property market.

The short-sightedness of this policy is astounding. No matter the so-called austerity budget (which only seems to apply to the working classes, while the privileged elite continue to live the life of Riley) the question must be asked as to what will happen when there’s some serious social unrest — and you can feel it stirring. Remember 2011 when the riots broke out? We had anarchy and nihilism on the streets and the police force didn’t cope with it at all. Instead we had a grand mopping up campaign. Suddenly all those poor silly students who had been demonised as hard-core criminals after they smashed the windows of the Tory HQ — and received ridiculously harsh prison sentences for what were in the main first offences - were kicked out of the pokey and replaced by the new batch of rioters. The Criminal Justice system ground to a halt, the prison’s overflowed. The courts were as ram-jam packed as a back-in-the-day David Rodigan dance. In response what did the great Theresa May do? She further decimated the police force. She did the same to the prison service. The vaunted Border Force, our first defence, is comically short of manpower and morale as they attempt to hire staff on Mickey-Mouse contracts. Labour should be slaughtering Theresa May on what she’s done. Instead we got that car crash of an interview on LBC.

To be honest I resisted calls to listen to it for a time. Some of my more right-leaning pals were raving about it, but I thought they were overreacting due to a general contempt for the Hackney MP. I was wrong. When I actually got round to listening to it I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was stunningly incompetent, mind-blowingly nonsensical, embarrassing and shocking. Is this the Shadow Home Secretary who’s going to lead the challenge to Theresa May’s record? She should have stood down immediately and if not the great leader should have forced her hand, no matter past rendezvous in the sack. Of course it didn’t happen and Labour under Jeremy Corbyn has no hope in this election. What a shame it all is because there are loads of issues that they should be taking the government to task on. Just look at that bumbling Tommy Cooper impersonator of a Foreign Secretary, a million miles removed from a serious statesman: Mr Retraction — an embarrassment to the nation.

I’m voting Labour in the coming election, but not for Jeremy, more for the thought of the millions of people who are going to suffer under the coming five years of Tory rule: the working men and women who haven’t seen their wages rise, in real terms, for the last thirty years, while the fat cats, sharks and speculators are minted; the students starting out life saddled with debt; the millions who’ll never be able to afford a home; and in honour of the National Health Service, soon to be dismantled further, but remaining the brightest light in the nation’s modern history. What a rotten, unfair and unbalanced society we’ve become.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 10:13 - May 23 with 1960 viewspaulparker

The whole damn lot of them are not fit for purpose , may, corbyn, farrron , never has there been a sorry more pathetic mob than this lot
this country needs protecting, the hard working honest British people where ever you black, white, Asian , green, etc need protecting , they need putting first
there's kids today who should have been going to school after a brilliant night at a concert , instead there are families mourning, or by hospital beds praying for a positive outcome
I wouldn't trust May, Corbyn and Farron to lead us out of this mess and sort out the problem in hand , I wouldn't trust them to organise a girl guides summer fair
we the people are being let down and its only going to get worse

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 10:31 - May 23 with 1913 views1BobbyHazell

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:16 - May 23 by stevec

What's helpful for May is Corbyn has got history when it comes to terrorism.

He could redeem himself here but he won't.
1/5 Trumps fault
1/2 Britains fault
100/1 fault of religious fanatics

Let's see how it pans out.

This isn't the time for cheap point scoring and we're pals now steve so no fighting, buuuuut, when it comes to the brutal murder of civilians, May has a far more powerful and recent 'history' than Corbyn.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39485083

When he becomes responsible for the selling of arms worth over a billion pounds directly to a regime that he KNOWS are about to use them to murder thousands of innocent civilians then maybe you will have a point about him being the bad guy in the 'violence visited upon the innocents' discussion.

Until then our current (for the next five years at least) Prime Minister is unfortunately streets ahead in this ugly and shameful category.

And while I'm here mate, where's that reply you promised me?!!

Peace
[Post edited 23 May 2017 10:36]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:16 - May 23 with 1861 viewsstevec

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 10:31 - May 23 by 1BobbyHazell

This isn't the time for cheap point scoring and we're pals now steve so no fighting, buuuuut, when it comes to the brutal murder of civilians, May has a far more powerful and recent 'history' than Corbyn.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39485083

When he becomes responsible for the selling of arms worth over a billion pounds directly to a regime that he KNOWS are about to use them to murder thousands of innocent civilians then maybe you will have a point about him being the bad guy in the 'violence visited upon the innocents' discussion.

Until then our current (for the next five years at least) Prime Minister is unfortunately streets ahead in this ugly and shameful category.

And while I'm here mate, where's that reply you promised me?!!

Peace
[Post edited 23 May 2017 10:36]

Ha ha, yeah, sorry for delay I'm still thinking it through!

To tell the truth, I've been more impressed with Corbyn's policies than anything that May has come up with so far, I don't think she has much of a clue.

The problem for me is Brexit. As a Leave voter I desperately want that to be carried through and I don't think I can trust Corbyn to do that.

I feel Corbyn has got the right policies but at the wrong election. Give it 5 more years (probably less, the way May runs things) and your time will come.

Peace and love mate.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:18 - May 23 with 1860 views2Thomas2Bowles

I do not think it's wrong (on this thread) to point out the failing of May/ Briar and many others , I'm not even sure if it is the wrong time and comes to point scoring, it's dealing with reality and being honest about while respecting those so deeply harmed on the Manchester thread.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:37 - May 23 with 1848 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:16 - May 23 by stevec

To tell the truth, I've been more impressed with Corbyn's policies than anything that May has come up with so far, I don't think she has much of a clue.

The problem for me is Brexit. As a Leave voter I desperately want that to be carried through and I don't think I can trust Corbyn to do that.

I feel Corbyn has got the right policies but at the wrong election. Give it 5 more years (probably less, the way May runs things) and your time will come.

Peace and love mate.

Well you can vote for him and still be Leave, I am and I do trust him far more that I could ever trust May.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:07 - May 23 with 1828 views1BobbyHazell

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:16 - May 23 by stevec

Peace and love mate.

Well I couldn't ask for a better answer than that mate!

I pay respect to your open minded approach to Corbyn's policies, as opposed to his much maligned public image, given your (extremely well documented!) 'thoughts' on The Left.

As for Brexit, Corbyn has been a Eurosceptic all his life and makes reference to the use of the EU as a tool for global corporates and finance to negatively impact the working conditions and lives of the populace. I believe he will work with far more integrity in terms of protecting the working person's rights/well being in negotiations than May who is a Pro Establishment Remainer in Brexiteers clothing.

Love and peace mate. x
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:37 - May 23 with 1780 views2Thomas2Bowles

What would we do without the NHS on days like this or the police.
She is praising them today while also planning the cuts.

Think about that when you vote or one day they will he asking for your insurance first and billing you after, like it is in the USA

I have no today doubt that those on the right in the Tories and who are supporting May are already planning it, like they planned the care for the elderly.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:04 - May 23 with 1743 viewsBillericayR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:37 - May 23 by 2Thomas2Bowles

What would we do without the NHS on days like this or the police.
She is praising them today while also planning the cuts.

Think about that when you vote or one day they will he asking for your insurance first and billing you after, like it is in the USA

I have no today doubt that those on the right in the Tories and who are supporting May are already planning it, like they planned the care for the elderly.

Is that what happened when 9/11 occurred ?

Hearing this for years but who introduced PFI and on whose watch did North Staffs occur ?

Take the NHS out of politics. Get the people in the know to run it and give them the money using a agreed formula respected by all parties.
Something like defence and International Aid.

Labour are promising the earth, it might be we will be eating it in 5 years.

Must admit the Tories are making a pigs ear in this campaign like the last budget. Worrying.
Login to get fewer ads

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:10 - May 23 with 1734 viewsBrightonhoop

Peace and love mate.

Very interesting post.

As noted Corbyn has like many of the left have often been anti-EU for it's facilitating Corporations growth often at the cost of populations.

The only other thing I would note, is that Labour have Kier Starmer, a highly respected and capable Lawyer and QC, who will lead the Negotiations.
The Tories, meanwhile, have Boris.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:06 - May 23 with 1650 viewsTacticalR

@Brightonhoop 'As noted Corbyn has like many of the left have often been anti-EU for it's facilitating Corporations growth often at the cost of populations.'

Either that or he's a Little Englander like Benn.

Tony Norfield describes Corbyn's outlook as 'National welfarism':

'National welfarism is somewhat different from simple nationalism, which can be summed up as demanding that government policies should benefit the people of a particular country (usually meaning the corporations). Instead, national welfarism cloaks a nationalist policy in progressive phrases and proclaims the need to protect the common people from the depredations of the market. In all cases, national welfarism amounts to a call for the capitalist state to implement such policies, not for a struggle of people to protect themselves from such depredation. Furthermore, it avoids naming names. Rather than singling out capitalism as the problem, and the capitalist state as the enemy’s enforcer, it is a demand for different government policies. It is the stance taken by those who do not like capitalism’s impact on people’s lives, but who do not want to make a fuss about opposing capitalism. One might think this is just letting discretion be the better part of valour, but it is more than that. It is a facile belief that good bits of capitalism can be salvaged from the bad bits of capitalism.

Worse than this, national welfarism pays no attention to whether the state in question is one of the major powers in the world that spends its time oppressing others, either directly, or indirectly in making sure that the general system of oppression and privilege for the major powers remains in place. The reason is that this oppression by their own powerful state is something from which, implicitly at least, the national welfarists would like to benefit.'

Tony Norfield, Corbyn’s National Welfarism, November 2016
https://economicsofimperialism.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/corbyns-national-welfarism

In another article Norfield briefly describes where the funding for the setting up NHS came from after WW2 when Britain was essentially bankrupt:

Everything You Know About How the City of London Works Is Wrong
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/interview-tony-norfield-the-city-london-and-t

Air hostess clique

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 16:32 - May 23 with 1571 viewsMetallica_Hoop

"Everything You Know About How the City of London Works Is Wrong
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/interview-tony-norfield-the-city-london-and-t

That was an interesting read while having a tea.

Thanks

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:20 - May 23 with 1480 viewsSomersetHoops

I am hoping Labour continue to have no hope of victory in this election.
For me Corbyn is Lennin, but its John McDonnell we need to worry about as he is Stalin.

Who's Next?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:29 - May 23 with 1469 viewssevenhoop

Peace and love mate.

Of course you like his policies. I call it 'sweet shop politics' - send a kid into a sweet shop and ask him what he wants. 'everything!'would be the excited answer. The equivalent of not reducing the retirement age, not means testing pensioners who can for free perks, triple lock pension, abolish tuition fees, increase minimum wage, spends shitloads on the NHS, don't charge people for care, keep trident (that buys some votes even if you abhore the concept) all live happily ever after...and all paid for by the 'rich' and nasty corporations.

It's as naive as a kid too, the 'rich' (who already pay a huge and disproportionate amount of tax) will either find ways not to pay or will disappear, the corporations likewise, leaving your 'costed' figures in a complete mess.

And so, as with all sociailist policies, the kid who has gorged himself will be left with a horrible and lasting tummy ache.

And that is without factoring in the incredible thick line of politicians on the front bench, who could never deliver in government, headed by the hideous and dangerous and stupid woman who is the subject of this thread
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:07 - May 23 with 1430 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:29 - May 23 by sevenhoop

Of course you like his policies. I call it 'sweet shop politics' - send a kid into a sweet shop and ask him what he wants. 'everything!'would be the excited answer. The equivalent of not reducing the retirement age, not means testing pensioners who can for free perks, triple lock pension, abolish tuition fees, increase minimum wage, spends shitloads on the NHS, don't charge people for care, keep trident (that buys some votes even if you abhore the concept) all live happily ever after...and all paid for by the 'rich' and nasty corporations.

It's as naive as a kid too, the 'rich' (who already pay a huge and disproportionate amount of tax) will either find ways not to pay or will disappear, the corporations likewise, leaving your 'costed' figures in a complete mess.

And so, as with all sociailist policies, the kid who has gorged himself will be left with a horrible and lasting tummy ache.

And that is without factoring in the incredible thick line of politicians on the front bench, who could never deliver in government, headed by the hideous and dangerous and stupid woman who is the subject of this thread

Yours,

Angry of Amersham
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:14 - May 23 with 1421 views2Thomas2Bowles

There was a time not so long ago when a man went to work for 40 hours in an average paid job , the wife would stay at home and look after the kids, a mortgage car holidays a savings account or isa, maybe paying into a pension....

Today his job would hardly pay the rent, she has to work so they can eat in a zero hours contract job no chance of saving for a mortgage or holidays, have to buy the kids clothes in primark and food in lidl's

If he or her went to uni, they most likely have debt of £30k

I think you are getting the picture...

As May calls them those that are just about managing, I call them up the creek without a paddle , the banks and this Con government took the paddles away, now they want the fecking boat (house/inheratance) of their parents .
[Post edited 23 May 2017 21:16]

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:01 - May 23 with 1378 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:29 - May 23 by sevenhoop

As Thatcher said
" The problem with socialism is that sooner or later you run out of other people's money "
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:09 - May 23 with 1352 viewscolinallcars

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:01 - May 23 by essextaxiboy

As Thatcher said
" The problem with socialism is that sooner or later you run out of other people's money "

Did she say that when she sold off the nationalised industries, you know, the ones that were established with our grandfathers' taxes ?
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:12 - May 23 with 1341 viewsQPR_John

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:14 - May 23 by 2Thomas2Bowles

There was a time not so long ago when a man went to work for 40 hours in an average paid job , the wife would stay at home and look after the kids, a mortgage car holidays a savings account or isa, maybe paying into a pension....

Today his job would hardly pay the rent, she has to work so they can eat in a zero hours contract job no chance of saving for a mortgage or holidays, have to buy the kids clothes in primark and food in lidl's

If he or her went to uni, they most likely have debt of £30k

I think you are getting the picture...

As May calls them those that are just about managing, I call them up the creek without a paddle , the banks and this Con government took the paddles away, now they want the fecking boat (house/inheratance) of their parents .
[Post edited 23 May 2017 21:16]

You can argue your points made up to your last paragraph but I cannot understand the championing now of Inheritance when it has always been for the left a dirty word
[Post edited 23 May 2017 22:13]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:13 - May 23 with 1341 viewsDannytheR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:01 - May 23 by essextaxiboy

As Thatcher said

Although given she spent 33 years as an MP being paid for by the taxpayer herself, clearly that wasn't a problem she ever faced.

(Or when she claimed more than 500k in expenses from the public purse as late as 2011).
[Post edited 23 May 2017 22:17]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:24 - May 23 with 1311 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:13 - May 23 by DannytheR

Although given she spent 33 years as an MP being paid for by the taxpayer herself, clearly that wasn't a problem she ever faced.

(Or when she claimed more than 500k in expenses from the public purse as late as 2011).
[Post edited 23 May 2017 22:17]

I think you have left a bit out of your last sentence ?
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:32 - May 23 with 1301 viewsDannytheR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:24 - May 23 by essextaxiboy

I think you have left a bit out of your last sentence ?

No, I think it's all there. She claimed more than 500k from the public purse between 2006 and 2011 for "office and secretarial" expenses.

I suppose helping yourself to other people's money is a tough habit to break.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:37 - May 23 with 1292 viewsCamberleyR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:09 - May 23 by colinallcars

Did she say that when she sold off the nationalised industries, you know, the ones that were established with our grandfathers' taxes ?

And that in the case of Gas, Electricity, Water and Telecoms were consistently profit making, profits that went back into the government coffers.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:41 - May 23 with 1287 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:32 - May 23 by DannytheR

No, I think it's all there. She claimed more than 500k from the public purse between 2006 and 2011 for "office and secretarial" expenses.

I suppose helping yourself to other people's money is a tough habit to break.

Comparing the two posts I find " between 2006 and" missing from the first post . Nice try though ..
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:50 - May 23 with 1262 viewsDannytheR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:41 - May 23 by essextaxiboy

Comparing the two posts I find " between 2006 and" missing from the first post . Nice try though ..

Oh, I see, you're implying I was being dishonest. Classy.

Yeah, so just the average of 100k + on expenses (or "other people's money") every year between 2006 and 2011.

Incidentally, are you still planning on disinheriting your own kids now that the Tories have abandoned the policy you spent yesterday defending?
[Post edited 23 May 2017 22:51]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:51 - May 23 with 1256 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:37 - May 23 by CamberleyR

And that in the case of Gas, Electricity, Water and Telecoms were consistently profit making, profits that went back into the government coffers.

Because they had a monopoly and could charge what they wanted and not give a crap about the customer .. Every one had a box of candles under the sink ..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024