Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... 13:58 - May 9 with 105874 viewshubble

..posted by a good friend of mine on Facebook, thought I'd share it on here. He's a former professional footballer (briefly for Birmingham City) and a former copper, working mainly out of Camden police station. He grew up in Kilburn/Queens Park. He's now a writer (among other things).

Worth a read I think, hope you enjoy, whether you agree with him or not, even when he veers off-topic...

"Thoughts of the Week (part 1)

Let’s start with a subheading. ‘Dear, oh dear Diane Abbot!’

In the upcoming General Election campaign and apart from the ‘Leader’ (no, not Gary Glitter) no one is more important for the Labour Party campaign than the Shadow Home Secretary. Why’s this? You ask.
The reason is obvious: Theresa May —the strong woman, Ms subtle, but steely - was the former Home Secretary. A position which she used to inflict near terminal ravages of the nation’s police forces. Under her auspices we saw numbers cut, benefits cut and police stations closed willy-nilly to cash in, short-term, on the booming (especially in London) property market.

The short-sightedness of this policy is astounding. No matter the so-called austerity budget (which only seems to apply to the working classes, while the privileged elite continue to live the life of Riley) the question must be asked as to what will happen when there’s some serious social unrest — and you can feel it stirring. Remember 2011 when the riots broke out? We had anarchy and nihilism on the streets and the police force didn’t cope with it at all. Instead we had a grand mopping up campaign. Suddenly all those poor silly students who had been demonised as hard-core criminals after they smashed the windows of the Tory HQ — and received ridiculously harsh prison sentences for what were in the main first offences - were kicked out of the pokey and replaced by the new batch of rioters. The Criminal Justice system ground to a halt, the prison’s overflowed. The courts were as ram-jam packed as a back-in-the-day David Rodigan dance. In response what did the great Theresa May do? She further decimated the police force. She did the same to the prison service. The vaunted Border Force, our first defence, is comically short of manpower and morale as they attempt to hire staff on Mickey-Mouse contracts. Labour should be slaughtering Theresa May on what she’s done. Instead we got that car crash of an interview on LBC.

To be honest I resisted calls to listen to it for a time. Some of my more right-leaning pals were raving about it, but I thought they were overreacting due to a general contempt for the Hackney MP. I was wrong. When I actually got round to listening to it I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was stunningly incompetent, mind-blowingly nonsensical, embarrassing and shocking. Is this the Shadow Home Secretary who’s going to lead the challenge to Theresa May’s record? She should have stood down immediately and if not the great leader should have forced her hand, no matter past rendezvous in the sack. Of course it didn’t happen and Labour under Jeremy Corbyn has no hope in this election. What a shame it all is because there are loads of issues that they should be taking the government to task on. Just look at that bumbling Tommy Cooper impersonator of a Foreign Secretary, a million miles removed from a serious statesman: Mr Retraction — an embarrassment to the nation.

I’m voting Labour in the coming election, but not for Jeremy, more for the thought of the millions of people who are going to suffer under the coming five years of Tory rule: the working men and women who haven’t seen their wages rise, in real terms, for the last thirty years, while the fat cats, sharks and speculators are minted; the students starting out life saddled with debt; the millions who’ll never be able to afford a home; and in honour of the National Health Service, soon to be dismantled further, but remaining the brightest light in the nation’s modern history. What a rotten, unfair and unbalanced society we’ve become.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:59 - May 9 with 19234 viewshubble

(part 2)...

"Since I’m on the theme of rot and decay from within I thought I’d switch to another subject but remain on the same theme. Anyone remember the BBC fly-on-the-wall two-part series ‘Muslims Like Us’? I caught a couple of the episodes and enjoyed it. It was meant to show us the diversity of the Muslim community and it did just that. There were gay Muslims, disco dancing Muslims and a fundamentalist thrown in for good measure. It succeeded, but there was nothing new in there for anyone who’s grown up in a multi-racial community. Anyone but the most bone-headed racist couldn’t deny that ALL communities are made up of various types of people with differing interests, inclinations and so on, but while we’re on this subject let’s have a further look at the ‘fundamentalist’ from the show.
Enter ex-boxer Anthony Small - the Muslim convert now known as Addul Haqq. Mr Small/Haqq comes with the tagline ‘People who have monstrous views aren’t always monsters’ and emerges from the show with some minor celebrity. To cash in on this he decides to put out a YouTube vent on topics that take his fancy. And this is what he comes up with. It’s titled ‘Why Tommy Robinson, Paul Golding and Katie Hopkins should fear for their lives’. In it Mr Small/Haqq delivers a veiled threat to the three above named though he couches his ‘warning’ with plenty of disclaimers of intent. He tells them he’s doing them a favour as he warns them that there are people who’ll kill them for their utterances. How socially-minded he is? How concerned and caring he must be? He does this while wearing a ‘Soldier of Allah’ T-shirt and referring to the 24 hour armed guard of Geert Wilders and the enforced lifestyle of Salman Rushdie after the publication of ‘The Satanic Verses’. He references Salman Rushdie as Salman Rush-Die (must-die). Of course, despite all the disclaimers, it’s an obvious threat. And despite the general public’s aversion to his three subjects the thread is clear. What we are witnessing is the early chapters of what’s been taking place in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Iran and Saudi Arabia where opponents of a fundamentalist Islamic narrative are imprisoned, punished or murdered. There’s no talk of prosecuting Anthony/Abdul Small/Haqq. Instead we find the newspapers full of the enquiry into Stephen Fry’s comments breaching the comedic blasphemy law in Ireland. Of course, you couldn’t make it up.

I’ll finish with a final thought on Syria. I thought Trump’s attack on the Syrian government airbase was incredibly dubious. Over 400k dead on BOTH sides and NOW he starts bleating about dead babies — not believable in my book. Over here Boris Johnson is all gung-ho for regime change while we’re told 300 jihadis have returned to the UK to bolster the 3000 potentially dangerous militants already present. Does anyone realise how much manpower it takes to monitor all that? It begs the question as to our priorities?
Maybe the solution is to send Boris to aid his Ottoman kinsman (‘the W*nkara from Ankara’) in mopping up what remains of Turkish democracy, and maybe ineffectual Diane could suggest it, or join him?

Namaste"
[Post edited 9 May 2017 14:16]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:09 - May 9 with 19201 viewshubble

Might as well add another Facebook post from a different friend, since it's pertinent. I feel genuine stories from ordinary people have more weight than politicians' words...

"7 months ago the government declared me fit for work, after performing a medical assessment on me and scoring me 0 points - overruling my GP and my medical evidence. They removed my money, my support, and almost my sanity. I've been humiliated, degraded, had all my rights removed, along with my financial support, and almost my mental health. I've had to consult lawyers, friends and forums. I've passed through various 'mandatory' stages, some of which are false stages that fail 100% of people, to delay their claims in the hope that people like me will give in and give up. Today i was awarded PIP. This admits that I am indeed not fit for work.

Now I've 1 more stage to go - and that's to take these Tory m*therf*ckers to court. This new award is further evidence for the tribunal and I'm a little more hopeful. I not only fighting my own fight, but I feel I'm fighting on behalf of those who have no fight left in them. Who knows if I will win, that's up to the gods.....and my guardians and protectors..

If anyone here on my friends list is going to vote Tory - ask yourself why. Do not for a minute think this doesn't affect you. It affects you in so many ways - our health service, child protection, legal aid has all been slashed. When you are old and in need of care don't count on this government to help - that funding has also been slashed. If you still spout Daily Mail headlines such as immigrants are a strain on this country and believe that story along with the Tories promises to reduce our national debt, you are believing a lie. The debt has increased, immigration is a speck of dust in the ocean of a strain on our system, and that strain is caused by our government removing funding.

I AM YOU. YOU ARE ME. We are in it all together. If this could happen to me, it could happen to anyone. Life happens.

And my journey has revealed exactly the kind of strategic and sinister design they've put in place, if i told you all i know your teeth would snap. For the most part, their actions are inhumane, unjust, cruel, and i'd say downright monstrous. Anyway, that's my input for the day. All i need now is more gusto to win the court case. I pray. And I pray for all the people i know who are suffering every day..."
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:13 - May 9 with 19170 viewsTacticalR

hubble, your youtube video in part 2 is not displaying.

I don't think LFW can handle youtube videos with 'embed' in the URL.

Please change:

to

Air hostess clique

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:17 - May 9 with 19164 viewshubble

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:13 - May 9 by TacticalR

hubble, your youtube video in part 2 is not displaying.

I don't think LFW can handle youtube videos with 'embed' in the URL.

Please change:

to

Done, thanks.

All views expressed above are not my own I should perhaps add, although I agree with much of it.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:29 - May 9 with 19131 viewsBrightonhoop

Very interesting piece and perspective from ex-plod, but no surprise so many of them can't forget Mays mistreatment of them.

The 2011 riots went on for days purely because the man power did not exist to confront it. Next time it could be even uglier.

Mays loss of 110 files on Lords and MP's whilst HO Minister is astonishing, and barely mentioned now, in relation to the Saville and other enquiries. The incompetence of the current PM is just off the scale.

Perhaps 30 of her current prospective MPs will be behind bars before Christmas.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:36 - May 9 with 19106 viewspaulparker

Do you post anything to do with football ????
I honestly don't know why this is on here

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:42 - May 9 with 19079 viewsTonto

The trouble is that this, more than any other election in this country is not about policy... well 1 policy - Brexit. It should be about the NHS, cuts to public services - particularly adult social care and education. but everyone is sooo wound up about immigration (sorry Brexit), that policies don't matter.

Its about who is going to negotiate with the dirty hun (sorry EU) and who's going to stick it up them, so we can return to the perfect 1950s

In the meantime the alt right sneaks in lots of sweeping changes no-one really noticed, changing this country forever.

(and no, I don't think Corbyn is the right person either)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:04 - May 9 with 19027 viewsstevec

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:36 - May 9 by paulparker

Every now and then you think 'Momentum are taking a breather' and then

...off they go again.
Login to get fewer ads

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:14 - May 9 with 18990 viewsSimonJames

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:04 - May 9 by stevec

...off they go again.

By sticking with Jeremy, Labour have not so much shot themselves in the foot, but rather blasted their entire undercarriage off with a howitzer.
Voting for him is like getting in a taxi driven by Mr Magoo.

100% of people who drink water will die.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:18 - May 9 with 18970 viewsGloucs_R

Corbyn is a communist and not fit to be a leader....argument over as far as I am concerned.

Poll: Are we staying up?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:58 - May 9 with 18842 viewsTacticalR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:18 - May 9 by Gloucs_R

Corbyn is a communist and not fit to be a leader....argument over as far as I am concerned.

It's been pretty hard to work out what Corbyn is all about, but as communist Don Milligan has pointed out, Corbyn is no communist:

'The prime objective of this rag, tag and bobtail army known colloquially as "the left" is to take over the Labour Party, lock-stock-and-barrel in order to be able to form a government capable of running capitalism on behalf of the working class — at least this is the economic and social prospectus offered by John McDonnell and Jeremy Corbyn. They are less explicit about their rejection of Marxist solutions than France’s Jean-Luc Mélenchon but, like him, do not call for the end of capitalism; that would be a step too far. Instead, they call for a caring version of capitalism in which social justice, an economically active state, and the "redistribution of wealth and power", would result in a fairer more caring kind of market economy.'

Milligan also draws some parallels between Corbyn and Teresa 'an economy that works for all, not just the few' May.

Don Milligan, Corbyn’s delusional realists versus washed-up utopians, April 2017

Clicking on this link will download the whole article as a PDF:
http://www.donmilligan.net/index.php?ACT=75&lv=sBXkPrEeG5t55lxuYYrT7sMvhj3XrqJw1

Air hostess clique

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 16:18 - May 9 with 18789 viewsPhildo

Nick Cohen posted the following a few weeks ago from a labour party member (links wont work as its cut and paste) :

Reasons not to vote Corbyn

Part One: Ethics

1. Against peace in Ireland

During the 1980s and 1990s, Jeremy Corbyn supported the IRA and opposed the Northern Ireland peace process:

By voting against the peace process and the Anglo-Irish Agreement in Parliament, as he believed republican nationalists shouldn’t have to compromise

By attending and speaking at annual pro-IRA commemorations for terrorists between 1986 and 1992. The programme for one such event reads: ‘In this, the conclusive phase in the war to rid Ireland of the scourge of British imperialism…force of arms is the only method capable of bringing this about’.
By aligning with terrorists. Corbyn was general secretary of the editorial board of the hard-left journal Labour Briefing which supported IRA violence and explicitly backed the Brighton Hotel Bombing, which killed 5 people and maimed 31 others. In its December 1984 leader, the editorial board ‘disassociated itself’ from an article criticising the Brighton bombing, saying the criticism was a ‘serious political misjudgement’. The board said it ‘reaffirmed its support for, and solidarity with, the Irish republican movement’, and added that ‘the British only sit up and take notice when they are bombed into it’. Alongside its editorial, the board reprinted a speech by Gerry Adams describing the bombing as a ‘blow for democracy’. The same edition carried a reader’s letter praising the ‘audacity’ of the IRA attack and stating: ‘What do you call four dead Tories? A start.’ They had previously printed the following:
We refuse to parrot the ritual condemnation of ‘violence’ because we insist on placing responsibility where it lies…. Let our Iron Lady know this: those who live by the sword shall die by it. If she wants violence, then violence she will certainly get.
If Corbyn wanted to support a unified Ireland through peaceful means he could have supported the SDLP (Northern Ireland’s Social Democratic and Labour Party), which wanted to unify Ireland through a democratic process. Instead, Corbyn attended ‘Troops Out’ rallies where the SDLP were denounced as sell-outs. In 2015, on BBC Radio Ulster, Corbyn refused five times to specifically condemn IRA violence and terrorism. He hung up rather than answer the question. You can listen here.

Corbyn also appointed as his Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell, who opposed the peace process as late as 1998 as it meant compromise. McDonnell also said (before, admittedly, later apologising):

It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA. Because of the bravery of the IRA and people like Bobby Sands we now have a peace process.
It is worth remembering that the IRA bombed, shot, or beat to death 1,696 men, women and children, and of course did not achieve a united Ireland.

2. For the Iranian religious right

Jeremy Corbyn has been paid £20,000 to appear five times on the totalitarian Iranian regime’s propaganda channel, which was banned in the UK for its role in filming the tortured forced-confession of Iranian liberal journalist Maziar Bahari. By hosting interviews, Corbyn gives the propaganda the ‘credibility’ of a Western politician. It’s fascinating to hear Iranian democracy campaigner Maziar Bahari’s own thoughts on Corbyn, who he describes as ‘a useful idiot’, and goes on to say:

People who present programmes for Press TV and get paid for it should be really ashamed of themselves – especially if they call themselves liberals and people who are interested in human rights.
The Iranian regime executes gay people, democracy activists, Kurds, and orders the rape of female prisoners. But Corbyn is happy to take their money and aid their propaganda campaign. Watch the end of this clip as Jeremy hosts a caller who describes the BBC as having hosted ‘Zionist liars’.

3. For anti-Semites

Jeremy Corbyn has praised and supported Raed Salah, an Islamist who has been accused of spreading the Blood Libel (an old antisemitic conspiracy that Jews use the blood of gentile children to make their bread). Salah has also been charged with inciting racial hatred and violence, and has claimed the Jews were behind 9/11. Corbyn has said: ‘Salah is a very honoured citizen’, ‘Salah’s is a voice that must be heard’, ‘Salah is far from a dangerous man’, and ‘I look forward to giving you tea on the terrace because you deserve it!’.
Corbyn wrote in defence of a vicar who suggested that 9/11 was an inside job by the Jews.
Corbyn invited Hamas and Hizbollah to Parliament and called them his ‘friends’. Bear in mind that Hamas’s Charter is explicitly genocidal — it makes it clear its supporters want to kill Jews and repeats Nazi conspiracy theories. Their founding Charter also rules out any peaceful solution to the Israeli-Palestine problem. It says:
Initiatives, and so-called peaceful solutions and international conferences, are in contradiction to the principles of the Islamic Resistance Movement… There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through jihad.
Corbyn doesn’t invite extremist Zionists to parliament, only extremist anti-Semites.

Corbyn was also a long-time backer of an anti-Israel group founded by Paul Eisen, attending its 2013 event even after Eisen had outed himself as a Holocaust denier years earlier.
4. For Putin

As his right-hand man, Corbyn appointed Seumas Milne, who has argued we should focus more on the positives of Stalin’s communist dictatorship. Milne was also part of the pro-Stalin and pro-Soviet fellow travellers of Fergus Nicholson’s wing of the British Communist Party (he was not an official member), and worked at the pro-Soviet paper Straight Left. Milne has also blamed Russia’s recent invasion of the Ukraine on the West, and has hosted a propaganda media conference for Vladimir Putin.

5. Against self-determination

Corbyn suggested that the Falkland Islands should be shared with Argentina, ignoring a referendum in which 99.8 per cent of the islanders voted to remain British.

Part Two: Electability and Leadership

Jeremy Corbyn has repeatedly demonstrated he isn’t a viable leader. Here’s how:

Corbyn has shown he has little idea about how to handle the media. Even left-wing newspapers such as The Guardian and The Independent have complained that the Corbyn team, through incompetency, release their press statements too late to give them full coverage the next day. One example was the announcement of an internal inquiry into anti-Semitism in the Labour party, wider coverage of which would have taken pressure off Corbyn and the Labour party. Instead, the announcement was made late on a Friday night — meaning the saga dragged on.
On national television, Jeremy Corbyn refused to back a shoot-to-kill policy if a Paris-style machine gun attack happened in London. He then changed his mind and backtracked a day later.
Corbyn’s botched attempt at a publicity stunt on a ‘ram-packed’ train was questioned by Virgin who released CCTV images showing the Labour leader appearing to walk past empty seats before he had filmed a video showing him sitting on the floor of a train carriage. Another image released by Virgin also showed Corbyn having later found a seat.
The following advisors and colleagues have resigned under Corbyn or disowned him in the last ten months, citing incompetence and his unelectability:
Neale Coleman, the former aide to Ken Livingstone, resigned following the unexpected announcement of policies he had not be consulted on.
Richard Murphy, the left wing tax specialist who was initially supportive of Corbyn, and whose policies the Labour leader took up, has now disowned him due to his failure to create a detailed plan. He said he had lost faith in Corbyn’s vision.
David Blanchflower resigned, citing his lack of ability and electability. And Simon Wren-Lewis criticised the Labour leadership for not campaigning ‘more strongly‘ in the EU referendum.
World famous left-wing economist Thomas Picketty has also resigned as Corbyn’s economic advisor, criticising his ‘weak’ EU campaign.
The Labour MP Thangam Debonaire disowned Corbyn after saying the Labour leader hired and fired her while she was receiving cancer treatment — all without a single word. Her full, shocking account can be read here.
The Labour MP Lilian Greenwood, who never publicly criticised Corbyn, and who voted with him on Syria, resigned as the Shadow Transport shadow, claiming Corbyn has repeatedly undermined her. Oh, and there’s also….
The 172 Labour MPs, whose views range from centrist to centre-left to fully left-wing, who voted that they had no confidence in Corbyn’s leadership.
But these aren’t the only indications Corbyn isn’t up to the job:

Corbyn has the lowest public approval rating for an opposition leader after ten months since records began. An Ipsos Mori poll said Corbyn’s rating was -41, compared to -32 for Michael Foot at the same time during his doomed leadership.
Every large-scale study into why Labour lost the 2015 general election came to the same conclusion: Labour was not trusted on the economy. Corbyn’s response? To promise £500billion in spending but refuse to say where the money will come from.
Jeremy Corbyn also had a disastrous referendum campaign. Having been pro-Brexit for decades — voting against Common market membership in 1975, and against the Maastricht Treaty and the Lisbon Treaty as an MP — his ‘pro-Remain’ campaign was, at best, half-hearted. What’s more:
Corbyn missed the first day of the Labour ‘Remain‘ campaign so he could attend an anti-nuclear weapons rally instead.
Leaked emails show that during the EU referendum campaign, Labour party ‘Remain’ campaigners came to the conclusion that the Corbyn Team were deliberately sabotaging their efforts.
A full 45 per cent of the millions of Labour voters weren’t aware that Labour was for ‘Remain’.
Corbyn’s first actions after the referendum was to, unwisely, call for the immediate invoking of Article 50.

Part Three: Social Media & Activists

It cannot be emphasised enough that abusive Corbyn supporters only represent a vocal minority. However it is also clear that Labour wasn’t experiencing the problems of abuse and intimidation prior to the birth of this current movement. In the process of fact checking, it became apparent that some incidents of abuse may have been exaggerated in order to criticise the pro-Corbyn movement. However, it’s simply not possible to claim that the hundreds-upon-hundreds of separately documented incidents, abusive voicemails and phone calls, physical confrontations, police callouts and death threats are all exaggerations. Here are a list of just some of them:

Over 40 female MPs have written to Jeremy Corbyn pleading with him to try to curtail the abuse they receive from his supporters. It’s not clear what Jeremy Corbyn has actually done about this issue.
Across the country, Labour constituency meetings have been temporarily suspended by the NEC because of the levels of abuse and intimidation taking place at some of these gatherings.
Since challenging Corbyn’s leadership, Labour MP Angela Eagle has been called a ‘dyke’ at a constituency meeting, and has been told by police that, for now, she should not hold constituency surgeries because her safety cannot be guaranteed.
BBC journalist Laura Kuenssberg has received abuse from Corbyn supporters, including being called a ‘whore’ and a ‘bitch’.
At the release of the Labour anti-Semitism report, Labour MP Ruth Smeeth was abused by a Corbyn supporter. Meanwhile, Corbyn apparently watched and said nothing.
Of course, there are many other facts to bear in mind when making your choice for Labour leader. It is up to each individual to vote with their conscience, but all of us must strive to vote based on the facts.

Yours sincerely,'
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 17:02 - May 9 with 18674 viewsJamesB1979

I take a (shorter)/different view on why not to vote Corbyn.

Nice bloke but I wouldn't let him lead me on a pub crawl.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 17:06 - May 9 with 18658 viewssmegma

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:36 - May 9 by paulparker

What he said.

I also make my own opinions on who I vote for, I don't read other people's attempts on brainwashing.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 17:09 - May 9 with 18632 viewsdistortR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 17:06 - May 9 by smegma

What he said.

I also make my own opinions on who I vote for, I don't read other people's attempts on brainwashing.

Do you read newspapers? Or watch tv? They've all got an agenda.

But you can trust me...............
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 18:27 - May 9 with 18503 viewseasthertsr

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 16:18 - May 9 by Phildo

Nick Cohen posted the following a few weeks ago from a labour party member (links wont work as its cut and paste) :

Reasons not to vote Corbyn

Part One: Ethics

1. Against peace in Ireland

During the 1980s and 1990s, Jeremy Corbyn supported the IRA and opposed the Northern Ireland peace process:

By voting against the peace process and the Anglo-Irish Agreement in Parliament, as he believed republican nationalists shouldn’t have to compromise

By attending and speaking at annual pro-IRA commemorations for terrorists between 1986 and 1992. The programme for one such event reads: ‘In this, the conclusive phase in the war to rid Ireland of the scourge of British imperialism…force of arms is the only method capable of bringing this about’.
By aligning with terrorists. Corbyn was general secretary of the editorial board of the hard-left journal Labour Briefing which supported IRA violence and explicitly backed the Brighton Hotel Bombing, which killed 5 people and maimed 31 others. In its December 1984 leader, the editorial board ‘disassociated itself’ from an article criticising the Brighton bombing, saying the criticism was a ‘serious political misjudgement’. The board said it ‘reaffirmed its support for, and solidarity with, the Irish republican movement’, and added that ‘the British only sit up and take notice when they are bombed into it’. Alongside its editorial, the board reprinted a speech by Gerry Adams describing the bombing as a ‘blow for democracy’. The same edition carried a reader’s letter praising the ‘audacity’ of the IRA attack and stating: ‘What do you call four dead Tories? A start.’ They had previously printed the following:
We refuse to parrot the ritual condemnation of ‘violence’ because we insist on placing responsibility where it lies…. Let our Iron Lady know this: those who live by the sword shall die by it. If she wants violence, then violence she will certainly get.
If Corbyn wanted to support a unified Ireland through peaceful means he could have supported the SDLP (Northern Ireland’s Social Democratic and Labour Party), which wanted to unify Ireland through a democratic process. Instead, Corbyn attended ‘Troops Out’ rallies where the SDLP were denounced as sell-outs. In 2015, on BBC Radio Ulster, Corbyn refused five times to specifically condemn IRA violence and terrorism. He hung up rather than answer the question. You can listen here.

Corbyn also appointed as his Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell, who opposed the peace process as late as 1998 as it meant compromise. McDonnell also said (before, admittedly, later apologising):

It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA. Because of the bravery of the IRA and people like Bobby Sands we now have a peace process.
It is worth remembering that the IRA bombed, shot, or beat to death 1,696 men, women and children, and of course did not achieve a united Ireland.

2. For the Iranian religious right

Jeremy Corbyn has been paid £20,000 to appear five times on the totalitarian Iranian regime’s propaganda channel, which was banned in the UK for its role in filming the tortured forced-confession of Iranian liberal journalist Maziar Bahari. By hosting interviews, Corbyn gives the propaganda the ‘credibility’ of a Western politician. It’s fascinating to hear Iranian democracy campaigner Maziar Bahari’s own thoughts on Corbyn, who he describes as ‘a useful idiot’, and goes on to say:

People who present programmes for Press TV and get paid for it should be really ashamed of themselves – especially if they call themselves liberals and people who are interested in human rights.
The Iranian regime executes gay people, democracy activists, Kurds, and orders the rape of female prisoners. But Corbyn is happy to take their money and aid their propaganda campaign. Watch the end of this clip as Jeremy hosts a caller who describes the BBC as having hosted ‘Zionist liars’.

3. For anti-Semites

Jeremy Corbyn has praised and supported Raed Salah, an Islamist who has been accused of spreading the Blood Libel (an old antisemitic conspiracy that Jews use the blood of gentile children to make their bread). Salah has also been charged with inciting racial hatred and violence, and has claimed the Jews were behind 9/11. Corbyn has said: ‘Salah is a very honoured citizen’, ‘Salah’s is a voice that must be heard’, ‘Salah is far from a dangerous man’, and ‘I look forward to giving you tea on the terrace because you deserve it!’.
Corbyn wrote in defence of a vicar who suggested that 9/11 was an inside job by the Jews.
Corbyn invited Hamas and Hizbollah to Parliament and called them his ‘friends’. Bear in mind that Hamas’s Charter is explicitly genocidal — it makes it clear its supporters want to kill Jews and repeats Nazi conspiracy theories. Their founding Charter also rules out any peaceful solution to the Israeli-Palestine problem. It says:
Initiatives, and so-called peaceful solutions and international conferences, are in contradiction to the principles of the Islamic Resistance Movement… There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through jihad.
Corbyn doesn’t invite extremist Zionists to parliament, only extremist anti-Semites.

Corbyn was also a long-time backer of an anti-Israel group founded by Paul Eisen, attending its 2013 event even after Eisen had outed himself as a Holocaust denier years earlier.
4. For Putin

As his right-hand man, Corbyn appointed Seumas Milne, who has argued we should focus more on the positives of Stalin’s communist dictatorship. Milne was also part of the pro-Stalin and pro-Soviet fellow travellers of Fergus Nicholson’s wing of the British Communist Party (he was not an official member), and worked at the pro-Soviet paper Straight Left. Milne has also blamed Russia’s recent invasion of the Ukraine on the West, and has hosted a propaganda media conference for Vladimir Putin.

5. Against self-determination

Corbyn suggested that the Falkland Islands should be shared with Argentina, ignoring a referendum in which 99.8 per cent of the islanders voted to remain British.

Part Two: Electability and Leadership

Jeremy Corbyn has repeatedly demonstrated he isn’t a viable leader. Here’s how:

Corbyn has shown he has little idea about how to handle the media. Even left-wing newspapers such as The Guardian and The Independent have complained that the Corbyn team, through incompetency, release their press statements too late to give them full coverage the next day. One example was the announcement of an internal inquiry into anti-Semitism in the Labour party, wider coverage of which would have taken pressure off Corbyn and the Labour party. Instead, the announcement was made late on a Friday night — meaning the saga dragged on.
On national television, Jeremy Corbyn refused to back a shoot-to-kill policy if a Paris-style machine gun attack happened in London. He then changed his mind and backtracked a day later.
Corbyn’s botched attempt at a publicity stunt on a ‘ram-packed’ train was questioned by Virgin who released CCTV images showing the Labour leader appearing to walk past empty seats before he had filmed a video showing him sitting on the floor of a train carriage. Another image released by Virgin also showed Corbyn having later found a seat.
The following advisors and colleagues have resigned under Corbyn or disowned him in the last ten months, citing incompetence and his unelectability:
Neale Coleman, the former aide to Ken Livingstone, resigned following the unexpected announcement of policies he had not be consulted on.
Richard Murphy, the left wing tax specialist who was initially supportive of Corbyn, and whose policies the Labour leader took up, has now disowned him due to his failure to create a detailed plan. He said he had lost faith in Corbyn’s vision.
David Blanchflower resigned, citing his lack of ability and electability. And Simon Wren-Lewis criticised the Labour leadership for not campaigning ‘more strongly‘ in the EU referendum.
World famous left-wing economist Thomas Picketty has also resigned as Corbyn’s economic advisor, criticising his ‘weak’ EU campaign.
The Labour MP Thangam Debonaire disowned Corbyn after saying the Labour leader hired and fired her while she was receiving cancer treatment — all without a single word. Her full, shocking account can be read here.
The Labour MP Lilian Greenwood, who never publicly criticised Corbyn, and who voted with him on Syria, resigned as the Shadow Transport shadow, claiming Corbyn has repeatedly undermined her. Oh, and there’s also….
The 172 Labour MPs, whose views range from centrist to centre-left to fully left-wing, who voted that they had no confidence in Corbyn’s leadership.
But these aren’t the only indications Corbyn isn’t up to the job:

Corbyn has the lowest public approval rating for an opposition leader after ten months since records began. An Ipsos Mori poll said Corbyn’s rating was -41, compared to -32 for Michael Foot at the same time during his doomed leadership.
Every large-scale study into why Labour lost the 2015 general election came to the same conclusion: Labour was not trusted on the economy. Corbyn’s response? To promise £500billion in spending but refuse to say where the money will come from.
Jeremy Corbyn also had a disastrous referendum campaign. Having been pro-Brexit for decades — voting against Common market membership in 1975, and against the Maastricht Treaty and the Lisbon Treaty as an MP — his ‘pro-Remain’ campaign was, at best, half-hearted. What’s more:
Corbyn missed the first day of the Labour ‘Remain‘ campaign so he could attend an anti-nuclear weapons rally instead.
Leaked emails show that during the EU referendum campaign, Labour party ‘Remain’ campaigners came to the conclusion that the Corbyn Team were deliberately sabotaging their efforts.
A full 45 per cent of the millions of Labour voters weren’t aware that Labour was for ‘Remain’.
Corbyn’s first actions after the referendum was to, unwisely, call for the immediate invoking of Article 50.

Part Three: Social Media & Activists

It cannot be emphasised enough that abusive Corbyn supporters only represent a vocal minority. However it is also clear that Labour wasn’t experiencing the problems of abuse and intimidation prior to the birth of this current movement. In the process of fact checking, it became apparent that some incidents of abuse may have been exaggerated in order to criticise the pro-Corbyn movement. However, it’s simply not possible to claim that the hundreds-upon-hundreds of separately documented incidents, abusive voicemails and phone calls, physical confrontations, police callouts and death threats are all exaggerations. Here are a list of just some of them:

Over 40 female MPs have written to Jeremy Corbyn pleading with him to try to curtail the abuse they receive from his supporters. It’s not clear what Jeremy Corbyn has actually done about this issue.
Across the country, Labour constituency meetings have been temporarily suspended by the NEC because of the levels of abuse and intimidation taking place at some of these gatherings.
Since challenging Corbyn’s leadership, Labour MP Angela Eagle has been called a ‘dyke’ at a constituency meeting, and has been told by police that, for now, she should not hold constituency surgeries because her safety cannot be guaranteed.
BBC journalist Laura Kuenssberg has received abuse from Corbyn supporters, including being called a ‘whore’ and a ‘bitch’.
At the release of the Labour anti-Semitism report, Labour MP Ruth Smeeth was abused by a Corbyn supporter. Meanwhile, Corbyn apparently watched and said nothing.
Of course, there are many other facts to bear in mind when making your choice for Labour leader. It is up to each individual to vote with their conscience, but all of us must strive to vote based on the facts.

Yours sincerely,'

Right that's why you shouldn't vote labour, how about a few reasons why you should vote for our 'strong and stable' leader? Let me remind you , just over a year ago she was a devout remain supporter, surely not a career opportunist? You don't read that in the Daily Mail!
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 19:18 - May 9 with 18384 viewsjohncharles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:04 - May 9 by stevec

...off they go again.

Quick, put on The One Show. The BBC tickling Mrs May's fanny.

Strong and stable my arse.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 19:28 - May 9 with 18360 viewsdistortR

remain 'project fear' v brexit bull
trump v clinton
macron v le pen
may v corbyn

sad is the land in need of heroes...........
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 19:30 - May 9 with 18353 viewsstowmarketrange

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 18:27 - May 9 by easthertsr

Right that's why you shouldn't vote labour, how about a few reasons why you should vote for our 'strong and stable' leader? Let me remind you , just over a year ago she was a devout remain supporter, surely not a career opportunist? You don't read that in the Daily Mail!

Or maybe they shouldn't vote for the corrupt party that fiddled their election expenses only 2 years ago?Or the same party that took money from HSBC in order to launder money and get one of their senior executives elected to the House of Lords?Or the one that are systematically running down everything that our past generations fought to set up?
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer under a party that only looks after the former to the detriment to the latter.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 19:51 - May 9 with 18305 viewsQPR_John

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 18:27 - May 9 by easthertsr

What do you expect her to do ignore the vote in the referendum surely she has no choice but to negotiate to leave the EU whatever her views. There is no such thing as a hard brexit or a soft brexit. The former is brexit and the latter is no brexit. I have yet to see an explanation how remaining a member of the free trade association and staying in the customs union equates to leaving the EU.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 19:54 - May 9 with 18294 views2Thomas2Bowles

Fecking hell it's not about voting for JC or TM you're not voting for a president FFS

That's why this country is fecked voters are as shallow as muddy puddles and less bright.

The Con's are going to shaft you all in the gob and arse relentlessly for the next 5 years if they win.
[Post edited 9 May 2017 19:59]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:02 - May 9 with 18269 viewsdistortR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 19:54 - May 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Fecking hell it's not about voting for JC or TM you're not voting for a president FFS

That's why this country is fecked voters are as shallow as muddy puddles and less bright.

The Con's are going to shaft you all in the gob and arse relentlessly for the next 5 years if they win.

you're right, but i would argue that the head of any organisation has a disproportionately large say in how that organisation acts.

Your latter point, absolutely.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:16 - May 9 with 18218 viewsFredManRave

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 19:54 - May 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

To use your terminology, surely this election is all about choosing who you believe will shaft you in the gob and arse relentlessly for the next 5 years, the least?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:21 - May 9 with 18210 viewsdistortR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:16 - May 9 by FredManRave

To use your terminology, surely this election is all about choosing who you believe will shaft you in the gob and arse relentlessly for the next 5 years, the least?!

yeah, and maybe we like being sha......................er,erm............
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:26 - May 9 with 18192 viewsFredManRave

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:21 - May 9 by distortR

yeah, and maybe we like being sha......................er,erm............

They'll never let you into France, mate!

Although thinking about it, they might not let you leave!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024