Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... 13:58 - May 9 with 106016 viewshubble

..posted by a good friend of mine on Facebook, thought I'd share it on here. He's a former professional footballer (briefly for Birmingham City) and a former copper, working mainly out of Camden police station. He grew up in Kilburn/Queens Park. He's now a writer (among other things).

Worth a read I think, hope you enjoy, whether you agree with him or not, even when he veers off-topic...

"Thoughts of the Week (part 1)

Let’s start with a subheading. ‘Dear, oh dear Diane Abbot!’

In the upcoming General Election campaign and apart from the ‘Leader’ (no, not Gary Glitter) no one is more important for the Labour Party campaign than the Shadow Home Secretary. Why’s this? You ask.
The reason is obvious: Theresa May —the strong woman, Ms subtle, but steely - was the former Home Secretary. A position which she used to inflict near terminal ravages of the nation’s police forces. Under her auspices we saw numbers cut, benefits cut and police stations closed willy-nilly to cash in, short-term, on the booming (especially in London) property market.

The short-sightedness of this policy is astounding. No matter the so-called austerity budget (which only seems to apply to the working classes, while the privileged elite continue to live the life of Riley) the question must be asked as to what will happen when there’s some serious social unrest — and you can feel it stirring. Remember 2011 when the riots broke out? We had anarchy and nihilism on the streets and the police force didn’t cope with it at all. Instead we had a grand mopping up campaign. Suddenly all those poor silly students who had been demonised as hard-core criminals after they smashed the windows of the Tory HQ — and received ridiculously harsh prison sentences for what were in the main first offences - were kicked out of the pokey and replaced by the new batch of rioters. The Criminal Justice system ground to a halt, the prison’s overflowed. The courts were as ram-jam packed as a back-in-the-day David Rodigan dance. In response what did the great Theresa May do? She further decimated the police force. She did the same to the prison service. The vaunted Border Force, our first defence, is comically short of manpower and morale as they attempt to hire staff on Mickey-Mouse contracts. Labour should be slaughtering Theresa May on what she’s done. Instead we got that car crash of an interview on LBC.

To be honest I resisted calls to listen to it for a time. Some of my more right-leaning pals were raving about it, but I thought they were overreacting due to a general contempt for the Hackney MP. I was wrong. When I actually got round to listening to it I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was stunningly incompetent, mind-blowingly nonsensical, embarrassing and shocking. Is this the Shadow Home Secretary who’s going to lead the challenge to Theresa May’s record? She should have stood down immediately and if not the great leader should have forced her hand, no matter past rendezvous in the sack. Of course it didn’t happen and Labour under Jeremy Corbyn has no hope in this election. What a shame it all is because there are loads of issues that they should be taking the government to task on. Just look at that bumbling Tommy Cooper impersonator of a Foreign Secretary, a million miles removed from a serious statesman: Mr Retraction — an embarrassment to the nation.

I’m voting Labour in the coming election, but not for Jeremy, more for the thought of the millions of people who are going to suffer under the coming five years of Tory rule: the working men and women who haven’t seen their wages rise, in real terms, for the last thirty years, while the fat cats, sharks and speculators are minted; the students starting out life saddled with debt; the millions who’ll never be able to afford a home; and in honour of the National Health Service, soon to be dismantled further, but remaining the brightest light in the nation’s modern history. What a rotten, unfair and unbalanced society we’ve become.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:08 - May 27 with 1875 views1BobbyHazell

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:23 - May 26 by essextaxiboy

I dont think its their own research , its You Gov poll for the Times . It probably reflects the social care mess up .
The next one by the same pollsters is out on Sunday I believe , If Labour are still close despite Jezza telling us that the bombings , mow downs , and shootings are our fault then lying to Andrew Neill about his gathering with the IRA to honour blokes who tried to blow up a police station then you might be in business ..

Essex, you're comfortably my favourite right winger on here and always come across as thoughtful and reasonable. So for you to be joining the ridiculous and reductive 'Jezza and his supporters say terrorism is all our fault' crew is a bit disappointing. Read his actual words on the subject.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/05/jeremy-corbyn-speech-terro

There has to be room for an intelligent discussion around all the factors that lead to violence. To willfully ignore our own wrong doings is doing our future safety no good at all.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:18 - May 27 with 1858 viewsJamesB1979

I think our foreign policy is just one of the reasons they hate the west and want to attack.

But even if he was completely right, his comments are wrong for 2 reasons:

1) why say this in the same week as the bombings and on the 1st day that campaigning resumed. There's 12 days left. Raise it next week. Just leave a bit of time and don't say it as your first speech.

2) Bombing hits Manchester, 1st speech by Corbyn says foreign policy should change. If you're the people who are bombing us because of our foreign policy, then what will you think? Well, clearly their tactics are working, so they should continue bombing us until the foreign policy is changed.

Had actually intended to vote Lib dem and I'm in a marginal Labour seat. Now not so sure.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:29 - May 27 with 1846 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:08 - May 27 by 1BobbyHazell

Essex, you're comfortably my favourite right winger on here and always come across as thoughtful and reasonable. So for you to be joining the ridiculous and reductive 'Jezza and his supporters say terrorism is all our fault' crew is a bit disappointing. Read his actual words on the subject.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/05/jeremy-corbyn-speech-terro

There has to be room for an intelligent discussion around all the factors that lead to violence. To willfully ignore our own wrong doings is doing our future safety no good at all.

It's playground politics and it scares the sh1t out of me. My respect for Corbyn grows day by day.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:33 - May 27 with 1839 viewsstowmarketrange

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:18 - May 27 by JamesB1979

I think our foreign policy is just one of the reasons they hate the west and want to attack.

1) why say this in the same week as the bombings and on the 1st day that campaigning resumed. There's 12 days left. Raise it next week. Just leave a bit of time and don't say it as your first speech.

2) Bombing hits Manchester, 1st speech by Corbyn says foreign policy should change. If you're the people who are bombing us because of our foreign policy, then what will you think? Well, clearly their tactics are working, so they should continue bombing us until the foreign policy is changed.

Had actually intended to vote Lib dem and I'm in a marginal Labour seat. Now not so sure.

Just suppose the boot was on the other foot and it was Labour in government.Do you think the tories wouldn't have brought up the subject?The difference is that they would have told us the they are telling it like it is.And of course the Daily Mail and co wouldn't be splashing it across their front page every day.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:37 - May 27 with 1825 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:33 - May 27 by stowmarketrange

Just suppose the boot was on the other foot and it was Labour in government.Do you think the tories wouldn't have brought up the subject?The difference is that they would have told us the they are telling it like it is.And of course the Daily Mail and co wouldn't be splashing it across their front page every day.

And if they were and they did then it would be wrong too. But I can only judge on what has happened not hypothetical situation.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:50 - May 27 with 1808 viewsQPR_Jim

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:18 - May 27 by JamesB1979

On timing I think he's ok to say it, it's not like he's suddenly took this stance to point score he's been of that opinion for over a decade. Anyway I guess it comes down to personal opinion, I took it as trying to start a discussion that might change the way we think about foreign policy and look to reduce the threat to UK citizens from terrorism.

Anyway on your other point, I think whether they want us to change our foreign policy or not we should be asking ourselves whether it's right, independent of what they think, it's a discussion which is needed nationally. I think the terrorists only mention it to legitimise their violence, if we change it we might have fewer attacks but I doubt it would stop completely. They may choose to target other countries which continue to bomb the middle east instead though.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 10:06 - May 27 with 1788 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:08 - May 27 by 1BobbyHazell

I tried to read it in your other link , but it keeps asking me to subscribe . On my phone so I will try the PC later .. Use of Jezza diminishes my view I concede ..
My views are are more inside right than right wing if you get my drift ...
[Post edited 27 May 2017 10:12]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 10:07 - May 27 with 1787 viewsloftboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 09:50 - May 27 by QPR_Jim

On timing I think he's ok to say it, it's not like he's suddenly took this stance to point score he's been of that opinion for over a decade. Anyway I guess it comes down to personal opinion, I took it as trying to start a discussion that might change the way we think about foreign policy and look to reduce the threat to UK citizens from terrorism.

Anyway on your other point, I think whether they want us to change our foreign policy or not we should be asking ourselves whether it's right, independent of what they think, it's a discussion which is needed nationally. I think the terrorists only mention it to legitimise their violence, if we change it we might have fewer attacks but I doubt it would stop completely. They may choose to target other countries which continue to bomb the middle east instead though.

I believe we should pull all troops/Aid/arms trading out of the Middle East and let them get on with it. Then there would be no reason for Isis to target the U.K., won't ever happen as there's to much money in Arming "freedom fighters "

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 10:51 - May 27 with 1749 viewsBromleyHoop

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 10:07 - May 27 by loftboy

I believe we should pull all troops/Aid/arms trading out of the Middle East and let them get on with it. Then there would be no reason for Isis to target the U.K., won't ever happen as there's to much money in Arming "freedom fighters "

Oh dear, here we go again. What you're saying is the reason we get attacked is because of our foreign policy, just as Corbyn is saying?

There have been media releases today from the IS media outlet, Dabiq, where they expressly say it's nothing to do with foreign policy it is about subjugating non Muslims to the rule of the Koran.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:19 - May 27 with 1717 viewsjohncharles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 10:51 - May 27 by BromleyHoop

Oh dear, here we go again. What you're saying is the reason we get attacked is because of our foreign policy, just as Corbyn is saying?

There have been media releases today from the IS media outlet, Dabiq, where they expressly say it's nothing to do with foreign policy it is about subjugating non Muslims to the rule of the Koran.

So you think the IS media outlet is a reliable source of information ? Could that be the lot that proudly claimed the Manchester bomber as one of theirs ? Is that the agency that gave the world videos of journalists being beheaded ?

Strong and stable my arse.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:35 - May 27 with 1707 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:19 - May 27 by johncharles

So you think the IS media outlet is a reliable source of information ? Could that be the lot that proudly claimed the Manchester bomber as one of theirs ? Is that the agency that gave the world videos of journalists being beheaded ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40069110

Sorry if a Spackman. Good idea on the face of it.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:36 - May 27 with 1705 viewsQPR_John

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:19 - May 27 by johncharles

Surely it is a reliable source for what IS thinks.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:01 - May 27 with 1684 viewsBromleyHoop

You're being serious aren't you? What more convincing source do you want? This is from the horses mouth for fecks sake and you still don't get it.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:02 - May 27 with 1683 viewsLythamR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 10:51 - May 27 by BromleyHoop

of course its related to our foreign policy. do you think it would be so easy to radicalise young british born muslims to the point of commiting murderous suicide if the radicalisers were not able to point at our involvement in middle eastern affairs and the results that ensue

It may not be the only cause but it has to be seen as a significant contributor
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:10 - May 27 with 1673 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:02 - May 27 by LythamR

of course its related to our foreign policy. do you think it would be so easy to radicalise young british born muslims to the point of commiting murderous suicide if the radicalisers were not able to point at our involvement in middle eastern affairs and the results that ensue

It may not be the only cause but it has to be seen as a significant contributor

Only if you are a tory would you think otherwise... just point scoring bullshit but I don't think the public in the main believe the bullshit just the hard line tories, don't even think they believe it really just another dig as JC
[Post edited 27 May 2017 12:12]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:19 - May 27 with 1659 viewsDannytheR

"Lazy thinking" here unfortunately.

For a start, no-one — Corbyn included - has said we get attacked because of our foreign policy. What's become obvious is that our foreign policy is PART OF the problem, because it encourages those power-mad cnts in the Middle East who want to seduce others into attacking the west. In the Middle East itself it creates huge reservoirs of bitterness, rage and grief. Within the west it gives pitiful, inadequate, alienated blokes a sense of identity and belonging and the idea that they're "defending" or avenging something with acts of terrible violence.

It means there is more than one thing going on here. More than one contributory factor. Is it really so difficult for you to keep hold of two thoughts at once, or is it just easier to pretend you do to score cheap political points in an election campaign?

That latest YouGov poll had 53% of people agreeing that "wars the UK has fought or supported are responsible, at least in part for terror attacks." So most people seem able to see it's not being "weak" or an apologist to recognise that sometimes things are more complicated than we would like them to be, and that actually stopping this fking obscenity might involve a bit more nous than euphemistic bollocks about "getting tough."

You know, it's interesting how often the people who shout loudest about defending Western values are the first people who actually want to abandon them. And it's interesting to see people choosing to trust ISIS propaganda above the opinions of more than half of their own country.
[Post edited 27 May 2017 12:28]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:20 - May 27 with 1654 viewsjohncharles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:36 - May 27 by QPR_John

It's a source of what what ISIS wants us to believe.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:23 - May 27 with 1645 viewsjohncharles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:01 - May 27 by BromleyHoop

You're being serious aren't you? What more convincing source do you want? This is from the horses mouth for fecks sake and you still don't get it.

They hate us. Why should they tell us the truth ? They've often claimed responsibility for atrocities which had nothing to do with them. When you start believing their propaganda you should seek help.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:35 - May 27 with 1635 viewsdaveB

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:23 - May 27 by johncharles

They hate us. Why should they tell us the truth ? They've often claimed responsibility for atrocities which had nothing to do with them. When you start believing their propaganda you should seek help.

I do like Labours plan for football though, i like a lot of what they say but we're a right wing country now so they have no chance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40069110

Jeremy Corbyn is using FA Cup Final day to launch plans to offer football fans a "flexible football ticket" to help more people attend matches.
The proposal would mean fans aren't left with unusable tickets after matches are moved or rescheduled.
The Labour leader - who will be at Wembley later to support Arsenal - is also pledging more money for grassroots football if Labour wins power.
The Conservatives have called Labour's proposals "nonsensical".
Mr Corbyn is pledging to make football a "game for the many, not the few" before he travels to watch his team play Chelsea at Wembley.
The Labour manifesto commits to ensuring the Premier League upholds a promise to put 5% of its television rights income into grassroots football.

He said: "Despite the game we all love receiving lucrative domestic and international TV deals, the grassroots game has been shamefully starved of funding over recent years.
"Too often, youth football teams cannot find pitches to play on and when they do they are expensive and the facilities are not fit for purpose.
"Under these circumstances, it is no surprise we are not nurturing the talent that we all know exists within the beautiful game."
A Labour government will work with train operators, broadcasters and football clubs to stop fans being left with worthless train tickets and having to buy new ones when games are re-arranged at short notice, he will say.

But the Conservatives say they were investing £30m a year in football and called Labour's proposals "complete nonsense".
A Conservative spokesperson said: "There is more money going into grassroots football than ever before."
The Premier League has also defended itself from Labour's accusation that it has "failed" to deliver investment in grassroots football.
A Premier League spokesman said: ""The scale of Premier League support and investment in the wider game, and in communities and schools, is unprecedented in professional sport.
"The financial value of this investment has been, and continues to be, greater than 5% of the League's turnover each season."
Other commitments to sport in the Labour manifesto include legislating to allow supporters' trusts to appoint football club directors and pushing clubs to improve access for fans with disabilities.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:22 - May 27 with 1602 viewsBrightonhoop

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:23 - May 26 by essextaxiboy

I dont think its their own research , its You Gov poll for the Times . It probably reflects the social care mess up .
The next one by the same pollsters is out on Sunday I believe , If Labour are still close despite Jezza telling us that the bombings , mow downs , and shootings are our fault then lying to Andrew Neill about his gathering with the IRA to honour blokes who tried to blow up a police station then you might be in business ..

Shame Taxi, usually enjoy your posts, disingenous but keenly argued, often. That could have been lifted straight out of the Sun, thought you were better than that tbf.
Problem is Corbyns take on foreign policy is shared by many other politicians and not just the Left. Farron was lambasted night for crucifying comments he thought were Cotbyns, and squirmed like an eel when told the comments were from Boris.
The photo touted of Corbyn by the tory press was from after The Good Friday Agreeement, the following year Adams also met Prince Charles and other Royaals in a bid to take the heat out of the hatred and seek a lasting peace that has no doubt saved many, many lives given 3000 had died by then. It's completely crass, thought better of you to peddle such bollx.
They knew back then that Saadam was the only one who could keep a lid on Iraq, taking him out has completely destabilised the whole region. Same with Lybia. Utter shambles and disaster. Foreign Policy since 2001 has been a disaster.
The way the Tories want to shut down that debate let alone engage it shows how comletely fcked up the future is.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:21 - May 27 with 1553 viewsAgedR

What Corbyn said wasn't in the least bit controversial and is consistent with anyone who actually thinks about the issues, including the intelligence services. Of course it is not the only determining factor, but, I don't think anyone is saying this.

The timing is also entirely appropriate. When better to review our policy towards the threat of terror than this week (unless perhaps tragically last week)?

The west need for fossil fuels and the connecting emergence of fanatical wahabist death cultist Saudi Arabia links to the emergence of an evangelical medievalist Islam group. But so do other foreign policy acts from the West; supporting the mujahideen in Afghanistan, the rebels in Iraq, Libya, Syria as part of the so called Arab spring. It is the law of unintended consequences.

Many of you may have see Alan Curtis' film, Hypernormalisation. If not, I'd strongly recommend it. Curtis is no mad Marxist or crazy libertarian, so should appeal to all political persuasions. You don't have to agree with him, but, it's a fascinating viewpoint.

I suppose my point is that the issue is nuanced and Corbyn is merely acknowledging this.

The reaction of the Tories, surprisingly like much of their election campaign, has been simplistic, opportunistic and weak. It also will not help in the critical analysis of how best to defend the UK from this threat.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:48 - May 27 with 1527 viewsQPR_John

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 12:20 - May 27 by johncharles

It's a source of what what ISIS wants us to believe.

So IS does not want us to believe that our foreign policy is at fault. They want to contradict Corbyn.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:02 - May 27 with 1513 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:48 - May 27 by QPR_John

So IS does not want us to believe that our foreign policy is at fault. They want to contradict Corbyn.

edit - see below
[Post edited 27 May 2017 15:05]

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:05 - May 27 with 1508 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 11:36 - May 27 by QPR_John

What IS think? I don't understand what that's supposed to mean. Do you mean their 'spokesman'?.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 16:27 - May 27 with 1448 viewsQPR_John

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:05 - May 27 by CliveWilsonSaid

What IS think? I don't understand what that's supposed to mean. Do you mean their 'spokesman'?.

"There have been media releases today from the IS media outlet, Dabiq, where they expressly say it's nothing to do with foreign policy it is about subjugating non Muslims to the rule of the Koran. "

The above is the post that started this particular conversation. All I ask is why should IS undermine Corbyn's view surely it is in IS's interest to blame our foreign policy. It is pretty poor propaganda if they are supporting the view many in the west hold of them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024