Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... 13:58 - May 9 with 105991 viewshubble

..posted by a good friend of mine on Facebook, thought I'd share it on here. He's a former professional footballer (briefly for Birmingham City) and a former copper, working mainly out of Camden police station. He grew up in Kilburn/Queens Park. He's now a writer (among other things).

Worth a read I think, hope you enjoy, whether you agree with him or not, even when he veers off-topic...

"Thoughts of the Week (part 1)

Let’s start with a subheading. ‘Dear, oh dear Diane Abbot!’

In the upcoming General Election campaign and apart from the ‘Leader’ (no, not Gary Glitter) no one is more important for the Labour Party campaign than the Shadow Home Secretary. Why’s this? You ask.
The reason is obvious: Theresa May —the strong woman, Ms subtle, but steely - was the former Home Secretary. A position which she used to inflict near terminal ravages of the nation’s police forces. Under her auspices we saw numbers cut, benefits cut and police stations closed willy-nilly to cash in, short-term, on the booming (especially in London) property market.

The short-sightedness of this policy is astounding. No matter the so-called austerity budget (which only seems to apply to the working classes, while the privileged elite continue to live the life of Riley) the question must be asked as to what will happen when there’s some serious social unrest — and you can feel it stirring. Remember 2011 when the riots broke out? We had anarchy and nihilism on the streets and the police force didn’t cope with it at all. Instead we had a grand mopping up campaign. Suddenly all those poor silly students who had been demonised as hard-core criminals after they smashed the windows of the Tory HQ — and received ridiculously harsh prison sentences for what were in the main first offences - were kicked out of the pokey and replaced by the new batch of rioters. The Criminal Justice system ground to a halt, the prison’s overflowed. The courts were as ram-jam packed as a back-in-the-day David Rodigan dance. In response what did the great Theresa May do? She further decimated the police force. She did the same to the prison service. The vaunted Border Force, our first defence, is comically short of manpower and morale as they attempt to hire staff on Mickey-Mouse contracts. Labour should be slaughtering Theresa May on what she’s done. Instead we got that car crash of an interview on LBC.

To be honest I resisted calls to listen to it for a time. Some of my more right-leaning pals were raving about it, but I thought they were overreacting due to a general contempt for the Hackney MP. I was wrong. When I actually got round to listening to it I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was stunningly incompetent, mind-blowingly nonsensical, embarrassing and shocking. Is this the Shadow Home Secretary who’s going to lead the challenge to Theresa May’s record? She should have stood down immediately and if not the great leader should have forced her hand, no matter past rendezvous in the sack. Of course it didn’t happen and Labour under Jeremy Corbyn has no hope in this election. What a shame it all is because there are loads of issues that they should be taking the government to task on. Just look at that bumbling Tommy Cooper impersonator of a Foreign Secretary, a million miles removed from a serious statesman: Mr Retraction — an embarrassment to the nation.

I’m voting Labour in the coming election, but not for Jeremy, more for the thought of the millions of people who are going to suffer under the coming five years of Tory rule: the working men and women who haven’t seen their wages rise, in real terms, for the last thirty years, while the fat cats, sharks and speculators are minted; the students starting out life saddled with debt; the millions who’ll never be able to afford a home; and in honour of the National Health Service, soon to be dismantled further, but remaining the brightest light in the nation’s modern history. What a rotten, unfair and unbalanced society we’ve become.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:33 - May 20 with 1673 views2Thomas2Bowles

I have a question of you all.. well maybe the ones that remember the 1970's as that is often the time tories harp on about with Labour.

How are you or society better off today over all, it's not a trick question to blame or praise everything on one party or other.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:41 - May 20 with 1663 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 20:43 - May 20 by Brightonhoop

Truly staggering that anyone could lace that sin on such a rotten olicy and not see through it for what it is.

Two simple things. A) NI and Tax have already paid for long term care of the elderly.
B) For the Tories to target and de-incentivise home ownership and wealth building in such a way by seeking to remove almost everything people work for through their lives is incredibly naive and stupid, showing just how out of touch they really are.
May risks the Election on this issue alone.

How can NI and tax have already paid for elderly long term care . Life expectancy is increasing all the time .

The Tories have given a grown up choice , work to accumulate wealth while you work and draw down on it when you stop.
Dont want your inheritance to be eroded on your Mum and Dads care? , look after them yourself , dont pay for care and keep the lot when they die . Thats the choice , why should taxpayers pay for free care so that middle aged people who visit their parents once a month inherit a 500k house.
Why should OAPs in a nursing home pay for their care when others have 3 or 4 visits from carers per day paid for .
I havnt based my retirement plans on inheriting any money from my Mum or in laws , it theirs not mine. I will get my share of 100k from each under this policy anyway .

Wait for a few days before polling for the real sh*t on Corbyn to be unleashed , he will be setting new records for failure by June 9th .. IMO of course
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:45 - May 20 with 1652 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:41 - May 20 by essextaxiboy

How can NI and tax have already paid for elderly long term care . Life expectancy is increasing all the time .

The Tories have given a grown up choice , work to accumulate wealth while you work and draw down on it when you stop.
Dont want your inheritance to be eroded on your Mum and Dads care? , look after them yourself , dont pay for care and keep the lot when they die . Thats the choice , why should taxpayers pay for free care so that middle aged people who visit their parents once a month inherit a 500k house.
Why should OAPs in a nursing home pay for their care when others have 3 or 4 visits from carers per day paid for .
I havnt based my retirement plans on inheriting any money from my Mum or in laws , it theirs not mine. I will get my share of 100k from each under this policy anyway .

Wait for a few days before polling for the real sh*t on Corbyn to be unleashed , he will be setting new records for failure by June 9th .. IMO of course

You mean the Tory press

Your own party member are turning on May why do you think that is.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 21:48]

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:58 - May 20 with 1628 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:45 - May 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You mean the Tory press

Only the far right ones , the ones who want a "hard brexit", brought up with Thatcher as an inspiration . They will be insignificant after the election.

She has realised that elections are won by being just left or right of centre and she is pulling the party that way . She can do that because Corbyn is so far left that the Communist party are declining to field any candidates
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:01 - May 20 with 1622 viewsQPR_Jim

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:41 - May 20 by essextaxiboy

Yes, how inconsiderate of middle aged people for not quitting their jobs to provide their loved ones with the care they need. It nearly killed my Mum trying to look after my Nan even with carers, as it is it's a lot of additional stress on top of that from the day job. I blame those sponging pensioners paying tax all their lives then having the audacity to live longer than previous generations.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:03 - May 20 with 1620 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:58 - May 20 by essextaxiboy

Only the far right ones , the ones who want a "hard brexit", brought up with Thatcher as an inspiration . They will be insignificant after the election.

She has realised that elections are won by being just left or right of centre and she is pulling the party that way . She can do that because Corbyn is so far left that the Communist party are declining to field any candidates

Bolx no utter fcking bolx Tory bolx do you write for the Mail if not send them your CV

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:06 - May 20 with 1615 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:03 - May 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Bolx no utter fcking bolx Tory bolx do you write for the Mail if not send them your CV

You wont find my first paragraph in the Mail .

The second one is a statement of fact

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-uk-communist-part
[Post edited 20 May 2017 22:07]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:13 - May 20 with 1605 viewsDannytheR

"Look after them yourself, don't pay for care and keep the lot when they die."

Charmingly put. Just out of interest, have you got any experience caring for people with dementia?

As for not having plans based around inheritance, I'm assuming you're of an age where you're probably already going to be a homeowner in your own right, probably with a couple of pensions on the go as well? I think the situation will look very different to the generation(s) coming through now, who are going to spend their own working lives excluded from the property ladder, and under the new legislation, will remain excluded from it even after their parents die.

From the outside, it does all seem to make a bit of a mockery of the grand Thatcherite homeowning revolution. Still these things tend to happen when a party gets complacent, thinks only of the short term and takes its base for granted (see the fate of the Labour party under Blair).

Of course your lot will get in on June 8th. Some triumph that will be. Once you're as snugly in bed with Dacre and Murdoch as Theresa May is, how could you lose? Longer term though, as older voters who read the Tory press give way to younger voters the Tories have stripped of any real stake in things, the backlash is going to be enormous. As we've already seen politically, you marginalise people over and over and over again, and eventually they kick back. Hard.

Better get your seatbelt on for that.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 22:14]
Login to get fewer ads

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:13 - May 20 with 1604 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:06 - May 20 by essextaxiboy

You wont find my first paragraph in the Mail .

The second one is a statement of fact

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-uk-communist-part
[Post edited 20 May 2017 22:07]

Another Tory rag

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:16 - May 20 with 1598 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:01 - May 20 by QPR_Jim

Yes, how inconsiderate of middle aged people for not quitting their jobs to provide their loved ones with the care they need. It nearly killed my Mum trying to look after my Nan even with carers, as it is it's a lot of additional stress on top of that from the day job. I blame those sponging pensioners paying tax all their lives then having the audacity to live longer than previous generations.

They dont have to quit their jobs , they can carry on working and pay with their inheritance for someone else to look after their parents , Their choice ....

As for paying in, you pay in and draw out all your working life . If you are lucky enough to not draw too much then some poor bugger is drawing out cos they are seriously ill .
Do you pay enough for 4 or 6 carers to come to your home 7 days a week , prepare you 3 meals , wipe your backside and dress you while ever more expensive drugs keep you alive for years and years. How much did you put in the pot FFS

Its tough , I would like to leave all of my assets to my boys , but it might not be possible .
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:30 - May 20 with 1573 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:13 - May 20 by DannytheR

Charmingly put. Just out of interest, have you got any experience caring for people with dementia?

As for not having plans based around inheritance, I'm assuming you're of an age where you're probably already going to be a homeowner in your own right, probably with a couple of pensions on the go as well? I think the situation will look very different to the generation(s) coming through now, who are going to spend their own working lives excluded from the property ladder, and under the new legislation, will remain excluded from it even after their parents die.

From the outside, it does all seem to make a bit of a mockery of the grand Thatcherite homeowning revolution. Still these things tend to happen when a party gets complacent, thinks only of the short term and takes its base for granted (see the fate of the Labour party under Blair).

Of course your lot will get in on June 8th. Some triumph that will be. Once you're as snugly in bed with Dacre and Murdoch as Theresa May is, how could you lose? Longer term though, as older voters who read the Tory press give way to younger voters the Tories have stripped of any real stake in things, the backlash is going to be enormous. As we've already seen politically, you marginalise people over and over and over again, and eventually they kick back. Hard.

I have no experience caring for someone with dementia so like anything that I cannot do competently I would have to pay for an expert to do it .
I would be happy to give up any inheritance due to me to ensure that my Mum got decent care. It would be a no brainer for me .

I have one pension and one house , that is my pot . No one has paid a penny into it but me and Mrs Taxiboy . I have 3 sons struggling to get on the ladder and I will use my pot to help them where I can , they will get 30k each minimum from the house and the pension pot. If they want to wipe my backside they will get more , I suspect I know what they would say to that .

If she wins by a landslide then the old football adage comes into play , you can only beat who is in front of you , if you tonk them its their fault not yours ..
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:37 - May 20 with 1556 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:13 - May 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Another Tory rag

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/communist-party-backs-jeremy-corbyn-102871
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:38 - May 20 with 1556 viewsQPR_John

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:13 - May 20 by DannytheR

"As for not having plans based around inheritance, I'm assuming you're of an age where you're probably already going to be a homeowner in your own right, probably with a couple of pensions on the go as well? I think the situation will look very different to the generation(s) coming through now, who are going to spend their own working lives excluded from the property ladder, and under the new legislation, will remain excluded from it even after their parents die. "

Well if this Tory social care plan has done anything it has at least changed the lefts idea and so parents leaving assets to their children is no longer considered an anti social act
[Post edited 20 May 2017 22:46]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:40 - May 20 with 1554 viewsDannytheR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:30 - May 20 by essextaxiboy

I have no experience caring for someone with dementia so like anything that I cannot do competently I would have to pay for an expert to do it .
I would be happy to give up any inheritance due to me to ensure that my Mum got decent care. It would be a no brainer for me .

I have one pension and one house , that is my pot . No one has paid a penny into it but me and Mrs Taxiboy . I have 3 sons struggling to get on the ladder and I will use my pot to help them where I can , they will get 30k each minimum from the house and the pension pot. If they want to wipe my backside they will get more , I suspect I know what they would say to that .

If she wins by a landslide then the old football adage comes into play , you can only beat who is in front of you , if you tonk them its their fault not yours ..

So yes, if you do ever have to face a parent suffering with dementia (which I really hope you don't), your decision about their care is going to be made knowing you already owning your home and having your own private pension.

As you say yourself, not a circumstance the generations after you will be lucky enough to have.

But then she doesn't need their votes, does she?

As for the football reference - well, of course you're going to win. You've bought the referee.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:40 - May 20 with 1553 viewsFDC

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 21:45 - May 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You mean the Tory press

[Edit: not intentionally a direct reply]

Latest YouGov has it down to 9%...

Is that an oldie-UKIP swing to Labour I wonder?

[Post edited 20 May 2017 22:42]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:43 - May 20 with 1541 viewsBrightonhoop

Agreed on one thing only, you shouldn't rely on an inheritance. it is someone elses to gift to or what they choose comletely.

On everything else there I could not disagree more and your arguments bare no relation to reality of economy for the last 40-70 years. The post war deal was work hard and get on, state will take care of your health through NI and old age, tax will take care of your kids schools and policing etc. There wasn't a choice, and still isn't, tax is not optional to the population, only corporations.
The rush to home owenership via the Tories 30 years ago has totally displaced families geographically so the options as if family live close together simply has been destroyed for profit and home price growth over decades. I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land more than I previously realised. This idea families stilllive in the same areas and together is about 50 years wrong.London and the south east is for the rich nw,everyone else has had to leave. The idea of finishing work in the Home Counties, if you're lucky, and facing a three hour journey to care for elderly family is just tosh.

Essentially, May wants to steal everything we have always worked for. That is the Tory Manifesto in a nutshell. Folks are finally waking up to it, but it will be too late, it is why she called the Election when she did.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:51 - May 20 with 1532 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:40 - May 20 by DannytheR

So yes, if you do ever have to face a parent suffering with dementia (which I really hope you don't), your decision about their care is going to be made knowing you already owning your home and having your own private pension.

As you say yourself, not a circumstance the generations after you will be lucky enough to have.

But then she doesn't need their votes, does she?

As for the football reference - well, of course you're going to win. You've bought the referee.

If the generations to come have no assets above 100k then the state will pick up the bill .No one has to sell their home before they die .
I am responsible for me and you for you . My boys are responsible for themselves ultimately , I will help as much as I can but they shouldnt rely on it .

There is no referee , there are only supporters . Some are news papers, some are trade unions.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:58 - May 20 with 1528 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:30 - May 20 by essextaxiboy

What happens with your grandkids if/when they come along, your view and this policy is not just damaging to your kids but for generations to come.

If your kids can't afford to get on the property ladder even with your help, what chance do your grandkids have.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 23:08]

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:07 - May 20 with 1514 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:43 - May 20 by Brightonhoop

Agreed on one thing only, you shouldn't rely on an inheritance. it is someone elses to gift to or what they choose comletely.

On everything else there I could not disagree more and your arguments bare no relation to reality of economy for the last 40-70 years. The post war deal was work hard and get on, state will take care of your health through NI and old age, tax will take care of your kids schools and policing etc. There wasn't a choice, and still isn't, tax is not optional to the population, only corporations.
The rush to home owenership via the Tories 30 years ago has totally displaced families geographically so the options as if family live close together simply has been destroyed for profit and home price growth over decades. I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land more than I previously realised. This idea families stilllive in the same areas and together is about 50 years wrong.London and the south east is for the rich nw,everyone else has had to leave. The idea of finishing work in the Home Counties, if you're lucky, and facing a three hour journey to care for elderly family is just tosh.

Essentially, May wants to steal everything we have always worked for. That is the Tory Manifesto in a nutshell. Folks are finally waking up to it, but it will be too late, it is why she called the Election when she did.

Life expectancy for a man in 1951 was 66 , now it is 79 . State pension age only now being amended.
No MRI scans back then . hip replacements , laser eye surgery , knee joints the list goes on , thats without the modern drugs .

How do you pay for that , taxation ? its a bottomless money pit . The Tories , wrongly IMO gave tenants the right to buy an 100k house for 30k , its probably worth 400k now . Thats the wealth that we are talking about here...90% of it wasnt worked for at all .

Middle aged people who havnt saved properly for their own old age are bleating because their retirement plan consisted entirely of taking a share of their parents house ..
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:14 - May 20 with 1506 viewsessextaxiboy

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 22:58 - May 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

What happens with your grandkids if/when they come along, your view and this policy is not just damaging to your kids but for generations to come.

If your kids can't afford to get on the property ladder even with your help, what chance do your grandkids have.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 23:08]

They can inherit 100k , that will increase over the years . Even divided by 3 thats a deposit on a place . The Tories are increasing it from 23k in the same policy change
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:24 - May 20 with 1490 views2Thomas2Bowles

Home ownership for under 35's has dropped from 55% to 20% and it's only going to get worse 100k won't buy you anything in london and split 3 ways with your kids anywhere else.

Maybe they can put a deposit on a converted stacked container.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:28 - May 20 with 1479 viewsBrightonhoop

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:07 - May 20 by essextaxiboy

Life expectancy for a man in 1951 was 66 , now it is 79 . State pension age only now being amended.
No MRI scans back then . hip replacements , laser eye surgery , knee joints the list goes on , thats without the modern drugs .

How do you pay for that , taxation ? its a bottomless money pit . The Tories , wrongly IMO gave tenants the right to buy an 100k house for 30k , its probably worth 400k now . Thats the wealth that we are talking about here...90% of it wasnt worked for at all .

Middle aged people who havnt saved properly for their own old age are bleating because their retirement plan consisted entirely of taking a share of their parents house ..

Your deluded Essex.

Job of Government is to manage the Economy. Part of that is to manage the NHS for all and setting tax rates accordingly, not gift billions to Corporations for Party Funds and jobs at Board level. I actually thought you were more intelligent and am surprised.

May and co has killed 30,000 disabled since 2010 with these policies. Clearly it was a test. Now they are going after the elderly. Next it will be our kids and grandchildren.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:47 - May 20 with 1456 viewsDannytheR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:07 - May 20 by essextaxiboy

Interesting to know you were opposed to the sale of council houses at the discount Thatcher offered. As it was a cornerstone policy of successive Tory governments from 1979 onwards, I'm assuming you voted against it?

"Middle aged people who haven't saved properly for their own age are bleating because their retirement plan consisted entirely of taking a share of their parents house..."

Dear me. If Corbyn had suggested this policy, me, you and everyone on here knows you'd be calling it a Marxist plot to wreck civilised society.

This way, after a lifetime paying off the mortgage on top of NI and tax, get dementia or any other long, slow painful exit and it all just goes back to the bank. And from there into the hands of private landlords, who will then rent your house back to your kids and grandkids.

As I say, this election is bought and paid for. Longer term? I think your lot are finished. And our grandchildren will not think well of us.
[Post edited 21 May 2017 0:09]
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 23:49 - May 20 with 1449 viewsstevec

This is all true but government should be about making a better country for its people, not taking away the little they have.

How can government be incapable of funding the care of its own elderly, yet can find 14 billion a year for foreign aid?

How it cannot 'quantitively ease' the extra needed for NHS and social care but can for the banking industry to the tune of 500 billion and counting?

How government can make those with a single home have it taken from them down to its last £100,000, yet barely scratch the surface of those with multiple homes and assets?

Ask why those with real wealth, those with multiple assets remain untouched.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 00:52 - May 21 with 1365 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

@stevec - "Ask why those with real wealth, those with multiple assets remain untouched."

Ok. I'm asking. Why?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024