Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most annoying new words 15:05 - May 12 with 10956 viewsrunningman75

Somehow flicking through the daily mail website and saw another article about Gina Miller address a " Remoaner " conference. I think the term people using this term should be hit with a mandatory fine though to balance the argument anyone who names leave voters " fascist or racist " should also be hit with the same fine.
Most annoying new words on 01:16 - May 13 with 1991 viewsdistortR

Most annoying new words on 23:34 - May 12 by kingshill

Arks

How fcking difficult is it to say "ask"?

living in the isle of man, and doing a job that does not involve having meetings, i honestly haven't got a clue what half of you are talking about!
Most annoying new words on 05:04 - May 13 with 1963 viewsloftinoz

Most annoying new words on 16:02 - May 12 by izlingtonhoop

I actually quite like 'remoaner/s'.

I think, like gay people and 'queer', we half should claim it.

As has been said on here a few times - like the leavers woulda not moaned if they'd been on the 48 side!

woulda
Most annoying new words on 07:40 - May 13 with 1937 viewsexiled_dictator

boxercise.

admitted, my wife and daughters all partake in this newly made up sport, but the mangalisation of two legitimate words does grate. i think the term arrived in the early 90's when rich wbanhers still had more money than sense.

previously (using negative terms to describe something positive, was the one that crawled up my rectum.
saying something was 'wicked' or 'bad', when they were neither wicked or bad (as in the negative representation), but rather referring to something being positive and good.

i also used to think the use of the word baboon to describe someone of another/foreign ethnicity was a new thing, but apparently, being racist has been around for some time.

the other thing is the increased usage of american words in the english language.
garbage for rubbish
we buy gas to fill up our cars
sidewalks in kensington
saying 'have a good day' at 3 in the afternoon
an elevator?
aluminum
cookies (they're biscuits, ok?)
the hood and trunk of a car
parking lot
emergency room (it used to be casualty)
french fries
crib
zucchini
cocktail party?? wtf? is that some kind of gay orgy?
fiscal year
soccer
vacation
staycation
sweater
baggage
pay check
mailbox

there are probably many more that can be added, but thats just off the top of my head.

befuddling, isn't it?

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Most annoying new words on 08:38 - May 13 with 1920 viewsdistortR

Most annoying new words on 07:40 - May 13 by exiled_dictator

boxercise.

admitted, my wife and daughters all partake in this newly made up sport, but the mangalisation of two legitimate words does grate. i think the term arrived in the early 90's when rich wbanhers still had more money than sense.

previously (using negative terms to describe something positive, was the one that crawled up my rectum.
saying something was 'wicked' or 'bad', when they were neither wicked or bad (as in the negative representation), but rather referring to something being positive and good.

i also used to think the use of the word baboon to describe someone of another/foreign ethnicity was a new thing, but apparently, being racist has been around for some time.

the other thing is the increased usage of american words in the english language.
garbage for rubbish
sidewalks in kensington
an elevator?
aluminum
parking lot
french fries
crib
zucchini
fiscal year
soccer
vacation
staycation
sweater
baggage
pay check
mailbox

there are probably many more that can be added, but thats just off the top of my head.

befuddling, isn't it?

cookies for biscuits, lol, a cookie is quite different.
We go to a Portuguese barber, first time we went he offered my son a tin full of "cookies". when he opened it, within was a cheap family selection, not a cookie in sight.
(whispered) "Dad, these aren't cookies"
"Son, that man should be a politician"
Life lessons, eh?
Most annoying new words on 08:45 - May 13 with 1917 viewsizlingtonhoop

Most annoying new words on 05:04 - May 13 by loftinoz

woulda

Hardly new

And as someone who grew up in the south-east of England I, and many on this board - I dare to guess - have always spoken that way...

Soz.
Lol.
[Post edited 13 May 2017 8:49]
Most annoying new words on 09:14 - May 13 with 1890 viewsWren67

Most annoying new words on 23:34 - May 12 by kingshill

Arks

How fcking difficult is it to say "ask"?

Yeah "arks" winds me up too.

But isn't English a wonderful flexible evolving language.
Most annoying new words on 09:39 - May 13 with 1873 viewshubble

Preloved.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Most annoying new words on 09:48 - May 13 with 1866 viewsShotKneesHoop

To be SWP'd = not be arsed about anything and just take the money, Mabel.

To be Redknobbed = as above, but get the media to claim you are a football genius on top.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Login to get fewer ads

Most annoying new words on 10:06 - May 13 with 1858 viewsGloryHunter

Most annoying new words on 07:40 - May 13 by exiled_dictator

boxercise.

garbage for rubbish
sidewalks in kensington
an elevator?
aluminum
parking lot
french fries
crib
zucchini
fiscal year
soccer
vacation
staycation
sweater
baggage
pay check
mailbox

befuddling, isn't it?

Power outage.
Most annoying new words on 10:24 - May 13 with 1843 viewsBrightonhoop

Not so much new words, but the uwards inflection to a statement, both verabl or in writing, does my nogging in, such as 'Looking for a new car?' Well, wtf, are you asking a question or making a statement STOOPID?
Completely irrational of me but it really riles me. Grrr. lol
Most annoying new words on 10:59 - May 13 with 1822 viewsQPRSteve

There is a sign at the Hammersmith Broadway Bus Station saying "McDonalds 50 meters"
Most annoying new words on 11:05 - May 13 with 1814 viewsDorse

Most annoying new words on 10:59 - May 13 by QPRSteve

There is a sign at the Hammersmith Broadway Bus Station saying "McDonalds 50 meters"

As if most McDonalds customers could run 50 metres.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Most annoying new words on 11:39 - May 13 with 1800 viewsjohncharles

An old one that still gets on my tts. In Real Terms. As in spending has increased in real terms. It means that spending has been cut in sly way.
[Post edited 13 May 2017 11:39]

Strong and stable my arse.

Most annoying new words on 12:08 - May 13 with 1775 viewsMrSheen

Most annoying new words on 11:39 - May 13 by johncharles

An old one that still gets on my tts. In Real Terms. As in spending has increased in real terms. It means that spending has been cut in sly way.

Only if there is deflation. If there is inflation, then the opposite is the case, i.e. if spending increased by 1%, but inflation has been 5%, then spending has gone up but NOT in real terms.
Most annoying new words on 12:44 - May 13 with 1756 viewsDorse

'Just saying' - as opposed to what? Interpretive dance?

And an oldie but still annoying: 'I'm not being racist but...'
[Post edited 13 May 2017 12:59]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Most annoying new words on 12:53 - May 13 with 1747 viewsRoller

I still refuse to use text as a verb.

It would appear that no noun is safe anymore, I heard a BBC interviewer talking to a politician say that "for years we've been guinea-pigging our children" - I nearly crashed.
Most annoying new words on 13:15 - May 13 with 1734 viewsWatford_Ranger

Most annoying new words on 11:39 - May 13 by johncharles

No it doesn't. Something going up in price or value in real terms mean it genuinely has gone up. When negotiating a salary rise, for example, it should always be in real terms or 'inflation + x%'. It's when figures are quoted not in real terms that I have a problem with.
Most annoying new words on 13:15 - May 13 with 1734 viewsizlingtonhoop

Most annoying new words on 12:53 - May 13 by Roller

I still refuse to use text as a verb.

It would appear that no noun is safe anymore, I heard a BBC interviewer talking to a politician say that "for years we've been guinea-pigging our children" - I nearly crashed.

Oh yes.
'Ask' as a noun...
Most annoying new words on 13:59 - May 13 with 1706 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Most annoying new words on 09:14 - May 13 by Wren67

Yeah "arks" winds me up too.

But isn't English a wonderful flexible evolving language.

I'm not a big fan either. Although used in context it sometimes works.

For example: "Don't arks me for no crips!" ( = don't ask me for any crisps).

I quite like that.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Most annoying new words on 14:30 - May 13 with 1687 viewsjohncharles

Most annoying new words on 13:15 - May 13 by Watford_Ranger

No it doesn't. Something going up in price or value in real terms mean it genuinely has gone up. When negotiating a salary rise, for example, it should always be in real terms or 'inflation + x%'. It's when figures are quoted not in real terms that I have a problem with.

I didn't mean it literally anymore than politicians do. I do understand what the phrase should mean but it's just gobbledegook politico speak.

Strong and stable my arse.

Most annoying new words on 14:44 - May 13 with 1671 viewsSonofNorfolt

Jokes
Most annoying new words on 14:51 - May 13 with 1657 viewsdanehoop

Never knowingly understood

Most annoying new words on 15:55 - May 13 with 1615 viewsloftboy

Chillax

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Most annoying new words on 09:29 - May 14 with 1520 viewsGaryT

Sic!

Especially when it's constantly squealed from the mouth of whiny 12 year old girl. Very odd but this combination is like nails down a metal garage door for me.
Most annoying new words on 11:11 - May 14 with 1478 viewsBromleyHoop

Super....as in 'we're super excited' or 'I'm super happy about that' , just use the word very.

So....as in 'So the information we have'... or 'So we began our assessment'... completely unnecessary use of the word 'so' at the beginning of a sentence really really fecks me off.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024