Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer 13:52 - May 18 with 9544 viewsNorthernr

Now here's some quality work avoidance for you. It’s been a few years since we updated the pub guide on the site. Here’s the link to it, I’m sure most of you forgot it existed.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/3943

Many of the pubs have changed hands/closed/been refurbished/turned into absolute cntpits since it was written so we’d like to update it and to do this we need your help.

Simply copy the form that follows into your post and fill it in for pubs within striking distance of the ground (Acton, Notting Hill, Hammersmith probs the outer limits but not really fussed). Can be as detailed or as brief as you like, serious or jokey - to be honest we're looking for horrendous abuse for The Pocket Watch above anything else. The more we get the better so don’t worry if somebody has already reviewed your one, we can have as many as we like for each boozer.

By way of incentive, to mark the anniversary of the goal, and as a potentially great gift for Father’s Day, our mates at The Art of Football have kindly offered a Bobby Zamora Wembley Goal t-shirt, sweatshirt or print to a lucky winner who will be drawn at random on May 24 from all the people who’ve submitted a review.

Here’s their QPR collection
https://art-of-football.com/collections/qpr

And here’s the Zamora stuff
https://art-of-football.com/collections/qpr/products/we-needed-a-miracle-print
https://art-of-football.com/collections/qpr/products/we-needed-a-miracle-tee

This post has been edited by an administrator
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 13:53 - May 18 with 5563 viewsNorthernr

And here’s the form to fill in…

Name of pub:

Size:

Selection of beers?

Price of drinks?

How full does it get on a matchday?

How are the bar staff?

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there?

Sky Sports/BT Sport?

Suitable for away fans?

Suitable for families and kids?

Where can you go to smoke?

Beer garden?

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these?

Does it serve food and is it any good?

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between?

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub?

Any other business?
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 14:16 - May 18 with 5520 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Name of pub: The Crown & Sceptre

Size: Medium.

Selection of beers? Average to good.

Price of drinks? Reasonable for London, which means sinfully expensive for anywhere else.

How full does it get on a matchday? Very, but never uncomfortable.

How are the bar staff? Polite, adequate, can't pour Guinness.

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? 10-15 minutes.

Sky Sports/BT Sport? No idea. If you're thinking of another game, you should have gone there.

Suitable for away fans? Yes.

Suitable for families and kids? Yes.

Where can you go to smoke? Outside. There's a door and everything.

Beer garden? I've never looked. I like beer. I hate gardening.

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Always clean. Downstairs toilet should you need.

Does it serve food and is it any good? Yes, and very.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Both, but edging towards traditional.

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? Cracking atmosphere, cracking locals.

Any other business? Nope.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 10:52]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 14:29 - May 18 with 5493 viewsrobith

Name of pub: Shepherd and Flock

Size: Pretty small, but plenty of room for standing outside

Selection of beers? Pretty small - carlsberg and san miguel lager wise, and Guinness and I think Pride too

Price of drinks? Decent - though I have a suspicion they charge increased prices on match day as it always says "CARNIVAL PRICE" on the till

How full does it get on a matchday? Varies really, if it's nice and sunny it can be absolutely swamped, sometimes I've sat in relatively solitude watching Ireland play rugby

How are the bar staff? Not the biggest amount of craic, but friendly enough, get through the orders and pour Guinness well enough (my main objective)

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? Around 10-15 minutes depending on how quickly you walk and where in the ground you're aiming for

Sky Sports/BT Sport? Both I believe

Suitable for away fans? I recall one game that bristled with me as it was swamped with Geordies. If they're pleasant enough and keep their head down it's ok

Suitable for families and kids? There's no problem with kids around, but if I had them it wouldn't be top of my list to bring them too, just because it's a bit small and if you're outside there can be passing traffic

Where can you go to smoke? The outside area, replete with tables and a retractable cover. You can even see the TV inside from a couple of them

Beer garden? There are tables outside, but given it's an offlet of Goldhawk Road, I'd be straight up misleading you if I called it a garden

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? I'd go 4/10. Long way below C&S, long way above White Horse. I've not ever had to do a poo there though so that's a call just off the urinal

Does it serve food and is it any good? Do taytos count as food? The landlord often brings round sarnies or chicken post match, but that's it. Despite this, it has a 5 star food safety rating

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? As traditional as they come - makes me think like I'm 5 in the pub with my parents on the rare occasion they went to an Irish pub growing up

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? For me it fits a perfect balance - it's cosy inside but the outside space means it never feels cramped. They also show Irish rugby games which is a big plus for me, but may be a negative for others

Any other business? The Guinness is a big win for me, but it's often poor early season as I imagine it doesn't get a rigorous pre season
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 15:26 - May 18 with 5397 viewsqprxtc

Name of pub: The Pavilion

Size: Big. Two rooms knocked into one, a function room, a conservatory, beer garden and a car park.

Selection of beers? Yes

Price of drinks? Guinness is £4.10.

How full does it get on a matchday? Gets quite busy

How are the bar staff? Pretty good bunch and friendly

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? 15 minute walk

Sky Sports/BT Sport? Yes

Suitable for away fans? Yes. Not many go there as it’s a way off from the usual haunts but hasn’t been any trouble for years.

Suitable for families and kids? Yes

Where can you go to smoke? Out the front or more likely the beer garden

Beer garden? Err, Yes. Still no greenery though.

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? This place has been refurbished a couple of times since the last review but the bogs (men’s anyway) are still bog standard.

Does it serve food and is it any good? Yes. It’s part of the Green King chain and I think the current menu is pretty good.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Since the last refurb it’s tried to go a bit trendy but it’s a big old place and has some traditional pub charm left in places. It used to be a bit of a ghost town on non match days but has certainly picked up and gets a good crowd in most nights.

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? It serves booze and then you go to the football.

Any other business? The only boozer left up here since The North Pole became a Tesco’s Express. They’ve brought a jukebox back in and the beer is good. Should Rangers end up in Linford Christie Stadium this will be the nearest boozer and will be mobalobadingdong. Get in while you can.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 15:29 - May 18 with 5393 viewsPBLOCK

Name of pub: The Queens Tavern (previously.known as The Springbok)

Size: Fairly large 2 bars

Selection of beers? Fair enough Couple.of.premium lagers,Couple of standard Guinness etc

Price of drinks? Around £4-4.80 a pint depending on what you are drinking

How full does it get on a matchday? Very full prior to.kick off and post match for an hour or.so

How are the bar staff? Nice enough not.much chat but the try and get you served as quick as possible

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? 30seconds to Upper Loft entrance varies for.other parts.of the ground

Sky Sports/BT Sport? Its a bit hit.a.miss they used to but recently.some.games.arent shown

Suitable for away fans? Home Fams only

Suitable for families and kids? Suitable.in the sense they'll let you in not sure social services.would.class it as such

Where can you go to smoke? Small bit outside the back 'Beer Garden' is stretching it

Beer garden? See above

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Better than they used to be still an aroma of a cage at London Zoo if the winds blowing in the right direction 2.5/10

Does it serve food and is it any good? Lightly fried Organic potatos or Crisps if you wil

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? See flat roof.council estate pub thread

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? Its a bit of a khazi but staff are friendly enough and its spitting distance to.the ground

Any other business
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 15:45 - May 18 with 5363 viewsdaveB

Name of pub: - Conningham Arms

Size:
Reasonable size, can fit plenty in both sitting and standing.

Selection of beers?
Usual array of John Smiths, Guinness, Fosters, Carling and Coors

Price of drinks?
Different every time you go to the bar, ranges from £3.40 a pint to £4.

Can get very busy but they have plenty of bar staff so doesn’t take too long to get served

How are the bar staff?
Very good and quick service most weeks

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? Around a ten minute walk to the Loft entrance, quicker for South Africa Road.

Sky Sports/BT Sport?
They have both and after matches will usually show the BT game on one screen, Sky Spoirts News on the other and also have a Championship game on some weeks

Suitable for away fans?
It’s usually home fans only but have seen a few away fans in before and they are usually made welcome

Plenty of tables for families to sit but if those are taken then might be uncomfortable for kids

You can smoke on the street outside

Beer garden?
No beer garden but plenty of space on the street to have a beer in the summer.

New toilets were put in a few years ago so they are pretty good

No food other than bar snacks, most people go and get a KFC, kebab or burger from the takeaways and eat in the pub

Traditional old pub but been done up in recent years so looks a lot fresher

Worth a visit for a good atmosphere, chance to watch the live football or racing and not far from the ground plus right next to the bus stop for getting home. It's also close to several other pubs ss if it gets too busy you have other options.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 15:54 - May 18 with 5350 viewsdaveB

Name of pub: - White Horse

Uxbridge Road, near Shepherds Bush Market tube station.

Size:
The Tardis pub, bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside but can get pretty packed

Selection of beers? —
Good Selection of lagers, Guinness and IPA

Price of drinks?
Around £3.30 a pint

Very busy on a Saturday before the match but not too bad after the game

How are the bar staff?
Usually pretty good but can be slow to get served when busy

5 minute walk through the back streets

Sky Sports/BT Sport?
They have both showing the live football plus Racing

Suitable for away fans?
Bouncers on the door and you need a ticket for the QPR end to get in

If you get a seat is fine for kids but can get uncomfortable when busy

They have a beer garden or you can smoke out the front of the pub

Beer garden?
Yes, with several tables and TV showing football

Pretty rank, hold your nose and try not to slip over on the wet floor!

No but a great kebab shop next door

Very Traditional

Great atmosphere and full of QPR fans plus the beer is reasonably priced.
Downside is it gets very busy at times and can take a while to get served
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 16:23 - May 18 with 5294 viewsqprxtc

Name of pub: The Stewart Arms

Location: Go over the West Cross Route from Shepherds Bush Central line, chuck a left down the stairs and it’s bang in front of you. By the Edward Woods Estate.

Size: Middling

Selection of beers? Lager, Bitter and Stout

Price of drinks? £3.50ish to £4.00

How full does it get on a matchday? Not very

How are the bar staff? Irish

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? Bit of a trudge but about 20 minutes

Sky Sports/BT Sport? Yep

Suitable for away fans? Yeah. Brentford fans seem to make a bee line to it…..

Suitable for families and kids? Sort of

Where can you go to smoke? Outside on the ‘patio’

Beer garden? Nope

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Not too bad, surprisingly

Does it serve food and is it any good? No.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Traditionally traditional.

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? Last old fashioned boozer standing.

Any other business? They have a great jukebox and XTC are on it.
Login to get fewer ads

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 16:29 - May 18 with 5264 viewsterryb

Name of pub: Defectors Weld

Size: Biggish

Selection of beers? Four or five trad ales, some tradecraft, ciders & I assume Lagers

Price of drinks? Bloody expensive compared to Ipswich pubs! Around £4.60 for a pint of trad ale

How full does it get on a matchday? If your there by 1.30 you may be able to get a seat. It's fuller on midweek nights than Saturday lunchtimes.

How are the bar staff? I had a row with them before the Forest game so I'm not the best to answer this!

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? Ten minutes? A damn sight less than the C&S which is why we started using it.

Sky Sports/BT Sport? No

Suitable for away fans? No. Home fans only, but colours not to be seen.

Suitable for families and kids? I'm not sure kids are allowed in.

Where can you go to smoke? I think there is an outside area that I pass on the way (frequent) to the toilets.

Beer garden? Don't think so.

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Actually, there all right! I've even felt OK when needing to sit down!

Does it serve food and is it any good? Yes but no idea if it is good. Pre match is for drinking enough alcohol to help you get through the match.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Modernish?

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? Visit - Near both Shepherds Bush tube stations & not too far from the ground. Steer clear - Price & bar staff, but mainly so that I can get a seat!

Any other business? None
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 17:28 - May 18 with 5185 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Name of pub: Brewdog Shepherds Bush.

Selection of beers? Oh yes.

Price of drinks? Daylight robbery.

How full does it get on a matchday? Not really a football pub. Full of tw@ts most days.

How are the bar staff? Tw@tish

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? 15 mins

Sky Sports/BT Sport? Not sure. Probably not.

Where can you go to smoke? Outside.

Beer garden? Not that I know of.

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Tucked away downstairs. Functional.

Does it serve food and is it any good? I'd imagine food is ok but probably expensive.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? The Ed Sheeran of the pub world.

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? They don't serve Carlsberg!

Any other business? Brewdog is gutter beer brewed by absolute belms and only eejits buy their hype and like their overhopped dross (**amendment by Robith**)
[Post edited 18 May 2017 17:47]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 17:41 - May 18 with 5161 viewsrobith

Let's not forget to add Brewdog is gutter beer brewed by absolute belms and only eejits buy their hype and like their overhopped dross
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 17:47 - May 18 with 5146 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 17:41 - May 18 by robith

Let's not forget to add Brewdog is gutter beer brewed by absolute belms and only eejits buy their hype and like their overhopped dross

Done

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 18:02 - May 18 with 5116 viewssimmo

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 14:16 - May 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Name of pub: The Crown & Sceptre

Selection of beers? Average to good.

Price of drinks? Reasonable for London, which means sinfully expensive for anywhere else.

How full does it get on a matchday? Very, but never uncomfortable.

How are the bar staff? Polite, adequate, can't pour Guinness.

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? 10-15 minutes.

Sky Sports/BT Sport? No idea. If you're thinking of another game, you should have gone there.

Where can you go to smoke? Outside. There's a door and everything.

Beer garden? I've never looked. I like beer. I hate gardening.

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Always clean. Downstairs toilet should you need.

Does it serve food and is it any good? Yes, and very.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Both, but edging towards traditional.

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? Cracking atmosphere, cracking locals.

Any other business? Nope.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 10:52]

Just to fill in some of the bits Brian was unsure about...

Sky Sports/BT Sport? BT Sports Only

Beer garden? Yes

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Always clean, Disabled toilet is downstairs if needed - get the keys off Mel.
[Post edited 18 May 2017 18:13]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 18:56 - May 18 with 5046 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 18:02 - May 18 by simmo

Just to fill in some of the bits Brian was unsure about...

Sky Sports/BT Sport? BT Sports Only

Beer garden? Yes

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Always clean, Disabled toilet is downstairs if needed - get the keys off Mel.
[Post edited 18 May 2017 18:13]

Good that there's a toilet with wheelchair access. Thanks Simmo.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 20:03 - May 18 with 4975 viewsHunterhoop

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 14:29 - May 18 by robith

Name of pub: Shepherd and Flock

Size: Pretty small, but plenty of room for standing outside

Selection of beers? Pretty small - carlsberg and san miguel lager wise, and Guinness and I think Pride too

Price of drinks? Decent - though I have a suspicion they charge increased prices on match day as it always says "CARNIVAL PRICE" on the till

How full does it get on a matchday? Varies really, if it's nice and sunny it can be absolutely swamped, sometimes I've sat in relatively solitude watching Ireland play rugby

How are the bar staff? Not the biggest amount of craic, but friendly enough, get through the orders and pour Guinness well enough (my main objective)

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? Around 10-15 minutes depending on how quickly you walk and where in the ground you're aiming for

Sky Sports/BT Sport? Both I believe

Suitable for away fans? I recall one game that bristled with me as it was swamped with Geordies. If they're pleasant enough and keep their head down it's ok

Suitable for families and kids? There's no problem with kids around, but if I had them it wouldn't be top of my list to bring them too, just because it's a bit small and if you're outside there can be passing traffic

Where can you go to smoke? The outside area, replete with tables and a retractable cover. You can even see the TV inside from a couple of them

Beer garden? There are tables outside, but given it's an offlet of Goldhawk Road, I'd be straight up misleading you if I called it a garden

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? I'd go 4/10. Long way below C&S, long way above White Horse. I've not ever had to do a poo there though so that's a call just off the urinal

Does it serve food and is it any good? Do taytos count as food? The landlord often brings round sarnies or chicken post match, but that's it. Despite this, it has a 5 star food safety rating

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? As traditional as they come - makes me think like I'm 5 in the pub with my parents on the rare occasion they went to an Irish pub growing up

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? For me it fits a perfect balance - it's cosy inside but the outside space means it never feels cramped. They also show Irish rugby games which is a big plus for me, but may be a negative for others

Any other business? The Guinness is a big win for me, but it's often poor early season as I imagine it doesn't get a rigorous pre season

Second all this. Unsurprising given we've often there in the same group.

Clive, by all means reuse my existing review. Perhaps reinforce the free food Rob mentions, which is brought around on trays (presumably whatever John, the landlord, could lay his hands on cheap. The Corpo sarnies are an intriguing one!). And, please drop the barmaid fitness a couple of notches: the prize asset left a couple of years back. Still, new transfer window for John this summer so who knows for next year. I will say this for the existing crop, especially the lady who basically runs the place for John (her nickname not to be revealed), they are most efficient and competent barmaids in London. The aforementioned Queen Barmaid can be taking payment for one round, whilst swerving another, whilst taking an order for a third. She is a modern day marvel. Worth her weight in gold to the pub, I imagine.

The best boozer in Shepherd's Bush. Never forget John letting everyone dance on the tables, etc, late into the night after Wembley.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 20:07 - May 18 with 4968 viewsNoDiddley

Name of pub: White Horse

Size: Small then medium then outside

Selection of beers? Chelsea Coors Lager, Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg, Smiths, Worthy, IPA & Guinness

Price of drinks? c £3.30-50

How full does it get on a matchday? We get there at 11.30 to get out table, if we play Preston it's Ok but Derbies & Prem days it's rammed.

How are the bar staff? Lovely a mixture of Eastern European, local lasses & Geordie missus

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? 10 mins after after 3 hours

Sky Sports/BT Sport? both

Suitable for away fans? NOT allowed for their own safety

Suitable for families and kids? Not enough suitable space for kids but as long as the wife don't mind a bit of rough & tumble it's OK

Where can you go to smoke? in the 'Beer Garden' or the security boys will let you out the front door if you're a regular

Beer garden? Yes bit no flora

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? The worst, foot on the door with no lock if you get the urge. Punters just abuse them so you can't blame the staff.

Does it serve food and is it any good? No grub, but you can take food in there.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Traditional with a lot of familiar faces

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? Friendly for those who want to meet die hard Rangers avoid if you have colonic problems.

Any other business? Enuff said
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 20:53 - May 18 with 4908 viewsterryb

Obviously somebody didn't like my guide to the Defector's!

Not quite sure what caused a dislike, but there you go!

Perhaps they would like to supply their own guide to this pub?
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 21:14 - May 18 with 4883 viewsPlanetHonneywood

And here’s the form to fill in…

Name of pub: The Castle

Location: 100 Holland Park Ave - about 100 meters from the tube.

Size: Small to medium

Selection of beers? Excellent always got a wide and varied selection and has the cask maque Very good spirits and wine selection as well.

Price of drinks? Reasonable given the area

How full does it get on a matchday? Not at all!

How are the bar staff? Good, efficient and not encumbered by huge crowds.

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? If you leave by 2:30-35 and get the tube, you'll be there in the nick of time.

Sky Sports/BT Sport? Never bothered to notice! It's as much to watch one game these days.

Suitable for away fans? Its Holland Park, so they tend to blissfully jog on by.

Suitable for families and kids? Never seen a dustbin lid in there. So not really. As for families, the breakdown of the traditional family unit since World War II might have started here.

Where can you go to smoke? Outside

Beer garden? No

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Spotless.

Does it serve food and is it any good? Yes x two.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Retains a pub feel, albeit that it's run with a gastro mentality. It is, if you will, à la mode.

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? If you want good beers with your mates far from the madding crowds then here is a good venue.

Any other business? We generally reserved a table. If you plan to eat, it might be wise to do so.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 22:40 - May 18 with 4786 viewsLblock

Name of pub: THE POCKET WATCH DAH-LING

Uxbridge Road, site of former British Queen (demolition started by some of our naughty boys after the Brizzle City game same time back)

Size:
Average though mostly given over to gastro delights with tables and funky stools (so the IT crowd say) where the previous notorious Back Bar was

Selection of beers?
Usual stamp plus some weird crap for the coiffured beard to$$pots --the Guinness actually not too bad

Price of drinks?
The first round I bought in there was the equivalent of paying off the mortgage of a row of terraced smak houses in Toxteth. However, becoming par for the course in London my luvvie

If there's a Sky game on just after breakfast then it'll be mobbed with lifelong "the Arse" or "you Reds" supporters asking you to "excuse me mate.. I cant see he screen whilst I nurse this incredibly lovely pint of craft lager that I just bought for £234.86 and will magically last for two hours...move along there bruv"

How are the bar staff?
Bearded but efficient

12 minutes or, alternatively, 3 minutes if you get Josh to drive you there in his really, really retro Morris Minor (so urban safari on trend LOL, PMSL, ROFL)

Sky Sports/BT Sport?
Sky as noted above, unsure on BT.
May a pox be upon them both.

Suitable for away fans?
Seems so.. though maybe reachable only by those from SW6, Chester or any of the other aspiring 'burbs. Likkle Bentford seem to love the place as well

In it's favour it certainly is "suitable"... McLaren push chairs and kids such as India, Moon and their brother Mowgli are most welcome. I'd question "suitable" though.

One doesn't smoke, one vapes... no idea where

Beer garden?
No but they do open the doors on warm days

On the first floor and you need a mountaineers qualification to get to them. The staircase always reminds me of Amsterdam but that's another story.....

Not sampled it but they do and it looks okay. I'm told the burgers are good. No doubt the chicken is corn fed, everything come with jus and there's an extensive vegan option

Think of a trendy bar... then times it by five. Like.. literally... yah?

Visit for the craic and to laugh at weird beards whilst also if you do for some reason need to watch "the game" its about the best venue on the Ucky Road

Any other business?
Yes -- share dealing, hedge funds and extravagant barberism all seem to be thriving here.

Enjoy you mudda farkers
[Post edited 18 May 2017 23:05]

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 23:13 - May 18 with 4745 viewsdistortR

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 22:40 - May 18 by Lblock

Name of pub: THE POCKET WATCH DAH-LING

Uxbridge Road, site of former British Queen (demolition started by some of our naughty boys after the Brizzle City game same time back)

Size:
Average though mostly given over to gastro delights with tables and funky stools (so the IT crowd say) where the previous notorious Back Bar was

Selection of beers?
Usual stamp plus some weird crap for the coiffured beard to$$pots --the Guinness actually not too bad

Price of drinks?
The first round I bought in there was the equivalent of paying off the mortgage of a row of terraced smak houses in Toxteth. However, becoming par for the course in London my luvvie

If there's a Sky game on just after breakfast then it'll be mobbed with lifelong "the Arse" or "you Reds" supporters asking you to "excuse me mate.. I cant see he screen whilst I nurse this incredibly lovely pint of craft lager that I just bought for £234.86 and will magically last for two hours...move along there bruv"

How are the bar staff?
Bearded but efficient

12 minutes or, alternatively, 3 minutes if you get Josh to drive you there in his really, really retro Morris Minor (so urban safari on trend LOL, PMSL, ROFL)

Sky Sports/BT Sport?
Sky as noted above, unsure on BT.
May a pox be upon them both.

Suitable for away fans?
Seems so.. though maybe reachable only by those from SW6, Chester or any of the other aspiring 'burbs. Likkle Bentford seem to love the place as well

In it's favour it certainly is "suitable"... McLaren push chairs and kids such as India, Moon and their brother Mowgli are most welcome. I'd question "suitable" though.

One doesn't smoke, one vapes... no idea where

Beer garden?
No but they do open the doors on warm days

On the first floor and you need a mountaineers qualification to get to them. The staircase always reminds me of Amsterdam but that's another story.....

Not sampled it but they do and it looks okay. I'm told the burgers are good. No doubt the chicken is corn fed, everything come with jus and there's an extensive vegan option

Think of a trendy bar... then times it by five. Like.. literally... yah?

Visit for the craic and to laugh at weird beards whilst also if you do for some reason need to watch "the game" its about the best venue on the Ucky Road

Any other business?
Yes -- share dealing, hedge funds and extravagant barberism all seem to be thriving here.

Enjoy you mudda farkers
[Post edited 18 May 2017 23:05]

in the review of it in 'get west london', or something similar, the reviewer ends with '....and the reisling i had was a blinder'.

shudder
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 08:29 - May 19 with 4567 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 23:13 - May 18 by distortR

in the review of it in 'get west london', or something similar, the reviewer ends with '....and the reisling i had was a blinder'.

shudder

Fcuk reisling, what did they say about their selection, if any, from the southern côte du Rhône?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 12:23 - May 19 with 4431 viewsrobith

Not wanting to quote the post and ruin the thread, but the toilets in the White Horse are amongst the worst I've ever seen, and I've been to toilets in isolated parts of Tanzania and Ethiopia.

It's like wading ashore the D Day beaches, except instead of blood and viscera, it's carlsberg pi$$
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 12:30 - May 19 with 4419 viewsrobith

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 20:03 - May 18 by Hunterhoop

Second all this. Unsurprising given we've often there in the same group.

Clive, by all means reuse my existing review. Perhaps reinforce the free food Rob mentions, which is brought around on trays (presumably whatever John, the landlord, could lay his hands on cheap. The Corpo sarnies are an intriguing one!). And, please drop the barmaid fitness a couple of notches: the prize asset left a couple of years back. Still, new transfer window for John this summer so who knows for next year. I will say this for the existing crop, especially the lady who basically runs the place for John (her nickname not to be revealed), they are most efficient and competent barmaids in London. The aforementioned Queen Barmaid can be taking payment for one round, whilst swerving another, whilst taking an order for a third. She is a modern day marvel. Worth her weight in gold to the pub, I imagine.

The best boozer in Shepherd's Bush. Never forget John letting everyone dance on the tables, etc, late into the night after Wembley.

The photo I have of that night in there is absolutely next level
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 15:57 - May 19 with 4274 viewsBlackCrowe

C&S is my regular but as it's already been done I'll do the PV as i go there a couple of times a season.

Name of pub: Princess Victoria

Size: Large bar area and a large restaurant area (though you can eat in the bar too)

Selection of beers? Adnams and various guest ales and Moretti and then usual lagers

Price of drinks? c.£4+ a pint

How full does it get on a matchday? Comfortable, never packed

How are the bar staff? Friendly, slightly hip (but in a nice way)

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? 10-15 mins

Sky Sports/BT Sport? No TV

Suitable for away fans? Yes without colours

Suitable for families and kids? Definitely

Where can you go to smoke? Out front, or 'garden' in the back

Beer garden? Yes but very small.

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? They're very good.

Does it serve food and is it any good? Bar snacks are excellent (homemade scotch eggs are worth the visit alone. Main menu is gastro, fairly pricey and 7/10 good.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Somewhere in between

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? The civilised choice, not much pre-match bustle but good atmosphere.

Any other business? Welcomes QPR fans but rather bizarrely puts a sign on the door on match days saying 'no football colours please'. Weird.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 16:56 - May 19 with 4222 viewshubble

Here's my review of the Defectors Weld (it wasn't me who marked yours down Terry!).

Name of pub: The Defectors Weld

Size: Large ground floor and upstairs bar

Selection of beers? Very decent selection of ales and other beverages, I like the fact it's a Young's pub:
Youngs Bitter, Youngs Special, Trumans Swift, Purity Mad Goose, Hackney Brewery Kapow, Hammerton Brewery Life on Mars

On tap: Beavertown Neck Oil, Beavertown Gamma Ray, Camden Town Hells Lager, Amstel, Birra Moretti, Estrella Damm, Camden Town Witt, Meantime Pale Ale, Guinness, Orchard Pig, Heineken

(yes I got all that from their website)

They have seasonal and guest ales as well.

Price of drinks? Typical London i.e pricey - most pints a fiver plus. Not for the faint of wallet or those from the less salubrious parts of our fair land.

How full does it get on a matchday? Used to get fairly full, rammed if it's a big game, especially afterwards. Recently the dwindling crowds at Loftus Road have been reflected in lots of space to sit.

How are the bar staff? Friendly, but mainly hipsterish - don't come if you're offended by coiffed beards, tatts and piercings.

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? 10 minutes.

Sky Sports/BT Sport? Nope.

Suitable for away fans? Not allowed

Suitable for families and kids? It's not really a family pub. Which is fine by me.

Where can you go to smoke? Outside smoking area in which I once hugged Mick Jones after we got promoted in 2011.

Beer garden? The smoking area doubles as a beer garden. Kind of.

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Decent and the urinal is bloody massive so no queueing lads! Can't speak for the ladies.

Does it serve food and is it any good? It does and it's bloody good. Excellent roasts. It's also does very good coffee....

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? It looks trad, but its vibe is modernish. Gastro without being bourgeois. If you know what I mean.

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? They play fantastic music, worth it for that alone, also after 5pm the eye candy is first class, which is not something you can say about most pubs in the Bush.

Any other business? The Weld is much maligned by some Rangers fans who perceive it as poncey. This is a biased opinion based on prejudice (IMHO). It's a great pub, comfortable, roomy, relaxing even when full. Basically, you'll be living in a different weld compared to most local pubs.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024