Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer 13:52 - May 18 with 9435 viewsNorthernr

Now here's some quality work avoidance for you. It’s been a few years since we updated the pub guide on the site. Here’s the link to it, I’m sure most of you forgot it existed.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/3943

Many of the pubs have changed hands/closed/been refurbished/turned into absolute cntpits since it was written so we’d like to update it and to do this we need your help.

Simply copy the form that follows into your post and fill it in for pubs within striking distance of the ground (Acton, Notting Hill, Hammersmith probs the outer limits but not really fussed). Can be as detailed or as brief as you like, serious or jokey - to be honest we're looking for horrendous abuse for The Pocket Watch above anything else. The more we get the better so don’t worry if somebody has already reviewed your one, we can have as many as we like for each boozer.

By way of incentive, to mark the anniversary of the goal, and as a potentially great gift for Father’s Day, our mates at The Art of Football have kindly offered a Bobby Zamora Wembley Goal t-shirt, sweatshirt or print to a lucky winner who will be drawn at random on May 24 from all the people who’ve submitted a review.

Here’s their QPR collection
https://art-of-football.com/collections/qpr

And here’s the Zamora stuff
https://art-of-football.com/collections/qpr/products/we-needed-a-miracle-print
https://art-of-football.com/collections/qpr/products/we-needed-a-miracle-tee

This post has been edited by an administrator
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 17:27 - May 19 with 2374 viewsterryb

Steady on hubble.

I need a seat at my age. We don't need many newcomers on matchdays!
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 17:34 - May 19 with 2370 viewshubble

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 17:27 - May 19 by terryb

Steady on hubble.

I need a seat at my age. We don't need many newcomers on matchdays!

Haha, sorry mate!
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 21:07 - May 19 with 2290 viewsFredManRave

Clive, will people still be included in the draw even if they've used the word "coffee" in their "LFW Pub Guide"?!
[Post edited 19 May 2017 21:07]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 21:26 - May 19 with 2278 viewsLadbrokeR

Any views on the Adelaide
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 22:09 - May 19 with 2262 viewsDannyPaddox

Middling to small sized tardis of a hostelry. Heaving on match days. Reasonable priced drinks at £4 and a bit. Not a pretty place but functional. Ambience of a bar on a ferry. But a ferry that's not going anywhere and one with no view of the sea. In fact there's no view at all though amongst the decor is a poster of Karl Ready which probably qualifies the place as unsuitable for children. Beverage-wise you name it they've got it. That's as long as you name Carlsberg, Guinness, or some low-rent cider that tastes like Lucozade. Not really one for away fans and the walk to the game can at times be the longest one imaginable. Thats the Blue & White Bar for you.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 23:51 - May 19 with 2224 viewsMrSheen

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 13:53 - May 18 by Northernr

And here’s the form to fill in…

Name of pub:

Size:

Selection of beers?

Price of drinks?

How full does it get on a matchday?

How are the bar staff?

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there?

Sky Sports/BT Sport?

Suitable for away fans?

Suitable for families and kids?

Where can you go to smoke?

Beer garden?

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these?

Does it serve food and is it any good?

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between?

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub?

Any other business?

Name of pub: Mailcoach Inn

Size: Six feet (under)

Selection of beers? I remember a great pint of Bass, but not a lot now

Price of drinks? No price increase since in 2003

How full does it get on a matchday? More since they put a shopping centre on top of it

How are the bar staff? Still alive somewhere, hopefully

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? About 14 years

Sky Sports/BT Sport? ITV Digital

Suitable for away fans? Yeah, why not

Suitable for families and kids? More so now

Where can you go to smoke? Do what you like now

Beer garden? Used to have a great view of cars accelerating onto the M41

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Non-existent

Does it serve food and is it any good? Don't remember any

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Too pure to live

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? This was our cave

Any other business? Start of the greatest night of my football life, Oldham at home, May 2003
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 00:22 - May 20 with 2213 viewshubble

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 21:07 - May 19 by FredManRave

Clive, will people still be included in the draw even if they've used the word "coffee" in their "LFW Pub Guide"?!
[Post edited 19 May 2017 21:07]

cheers Fred.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 03:26 - May 20 with 2193 viewsFredManRave

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 23:51 - May 19 by MrSheen

How full does it get on a matchday? More since they put a shopping centre on top of it

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? This was our cave

Any other business? Start of the greatest night of my football life, Oldham at home, May 2003

Brilliant Mr Sheen. I was thinking of doing something similar but you beat me to it. However, there-s one addition I would make:

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? Willie the Landlord¬Willie the Landlord. The guy was a legend.

Definite favourite prematch pub with the White Horse being the best post match with the Weld being a close second but usually later on in the night due to the previously mentioned "eye candy" and late night disco.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 3:30]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 07:45 - May 20 with 2169 viewsthorpebankR

Memories of The British Queen pt 1. Walking past it on way home from school and pissed up old Irish lady squatting between two cars having a piss whilst singing.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 08:02 - May 20 with 2165 viewsqprxtc

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 23:51 - May 19 by MrSheen

Ahhh The Mailcoach. My first home.

I used to live in the flats opposite and from my bedroom window I could see Rangers floodlights and the Mailcoach. That's a view that the National Trust should have preserved.

I still pine for the old place when I'm stood at that bust stop waiting for a 316 with the rest of the Edward Woods Estate, who can't be bothered to walk the one stop home.

I try and figure out where the bar would have been and where the bogs were. It's a weird feeling to stand on a pavement and think a few years ago I was acting like a madman here. And now I'm wondering aimlessly around a bus stop trying to find a long lost toilet...

Willie was a character of the highest order. Basically I was pretty terrified of him! He was nuts sober, god knows what he was like when he used to drink.

The Mailcoach. They don't make them like that no more.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 8:11]
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 11:09 - May 20 with 2095 viewsLblock

Name of pub: The Queen Adelaide

Size: About 160 at the bar and 60 covers in the gastro section. All top boys, no mugs

Selection of beers? Not too bad - they have a brew called Hoop Ale which some enjoy, Guinness is okay, Amstel, Fosters etc and also they always have Patron Cafe in stock.
As for most of the pubs reviewed here the annoying thing is the plastic glasses. Boils my piss that does. If you're eating though you're obviously not going to glass someone, but stand at the bar and you're a raving loon looking to slice up someones boat....!!!

Price of drinks? Astronomical

It used to get absolutely rammo but not so much of late. Still a decent crowd in there from time to time.
A smattering of sorts always welcome.

How are the bar staff?
Good. They've had some cracking barmaids in there over the years and they always seem a decent little team. Current guv'nor is a very pleasant young lady and all the guv's have been great apart from the gay fella a few years back who barred a couple of us last game of the season for having the temerity to be slightly tipsy after spending about £80 each drinking in his pub and singing a few footy songs past 7.00pm
Scooby on the door is sorely missed - best doorman I've known.

10 minutes brisk, 15 minutes 5 Guinness deep

Sky Sports/BT Sport?
Neither. Will have BBC FInal Score on post match and always show "the wugger" which does bring a few Nigel's in.

Suitable for away fans?
Nope - home fans only. If you're an away fan and you sneak in then watch out for the twins in there... Ronnie and Reggie will sniff you out and batter you to within an inch of your life. Safe.
If not then there's a huge influx of ex-C Mob chaps that will iron you out

All generations welcome though I think kids need to leave by 7.00pm (a rule previously only for lagged up loud tvvats)

Front section is sort of a decking area off the Ucky Road -- really pushing it to call it a garden. This is a bug bear of mine. I cannot abide smoking but I do like outdoor drinking when the rare days the weather allows. The front area is unusable unless you want to inhale secondary smoke.

Beer garden?
See above - don't believe it if people tell you this is a garden. It's not. It's a decked frontage used exclusively for smoking and also watching Birmingham City fans get laid out.

Just below average. Reasonably good nick but whoever installed the drainage was a cowboy. Always an odour which sometimes permeates into the boozer.

Food is good but toppy prices. We've stopped booking tables which is a shame but the cost was pretty high when you're ordering booze and each drink gets a 12.5% service charge added on.
If sausage rolls and scotch eggs t £36.20 each are your thing then these are available at the bar

Somewhere inbetween. I think it's quite nicely done out myself.
Also the background music can be quite decent -- would benefit from a few Frankie Friday tunes and the volume up a notch now and then though

Visit if you're a home fan and want a decent bit of craic and footy chat, most people in there very friendly. Steer clear if you're an away fan

Any other business?
Yeah -- I believe Discodroid was / is a regular in here... hoping he still is next season and his acquaintance is made.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 17:21]

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 16:19 - May 20 with 2018 viewsSnipper

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 08:02 - May 20 by qprxtc

Ahhh The Mailcoach. My first home.

I used to live in the flats opposite and from my bedroom window I could see Rangers floodlights and the Mailcoach. That's a view that the National Trust should have preserved.

I still pine for the old place when I'm stood at that bust stop waiting for a 316 with the rest of the Edward Woods Estate, who can't be bothered to walk the one stop home.

I try and figure out where the bar would have been and where the bogs were. It's a weird feeling to stand on a pavement and think a few years ago I was acting like a madman here. And now I'm wondering aimlessly around a bus stop trying to find a long lost toilet...

Willie was a character of the highest order. Basically I was pretty terrified of him! He was nuts sober, god knows what he was like when he used to drink.

The Mailcoach. They don't make them like that no more.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 8:11]

qprxtc, I drank in The Mailcoach for a few years. I used to sit in 'the underground' corner by the bogs.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 16:20]
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 18:26 - May 20 with 1976 viewsRBlock

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 11:09 - May 20 by Lblock

Name of pub: The Queen Adelaide

Size: About 160 at the bar and 60 covers in the gastro section. All top boys, no mugs

Selection of beers? Not too bad - they have a brew called Hoop Ale which some enjoy, Guinness is okay, Amstel, Fosters etc and also they always have Patron Cafe in stock.
As for most of the pubs reviewed here the annoying thing is the plastic glasses. Boils my piss that does. If you're eating though you're obviously not going to glass someone, but stand at the bar and you're a raving loon looking to slice up someones boat....!!!

Price of drinks? Astronomical

It used to get absolutely rammo but not so much of late. Still a decent crowd in there from time to time.
A smattering of sorts always welcome.

How are the bar staff?
Good. They've had some cracking barmaids in there over the years and they always seem a decent little team. Current guv'nor is a very pleasant young lady and all the guv's have been great apart from the gay fella a few years back who barred a couple of us last game of the season for having the temerity to be slightly tipsy after spending about £80 each drinking in his pub and singing a few footy songs past 7.00pm
Scooby on the door is sorely missed - best doorman I've known.

10 minutes brisk, 15 minutes 5 Guinness deep

Sky Sports/BT Sport?
Neither. Will have BBC FInal Score on post match and always show "the wugger" which does bring a few Nigel's in.

Suitable for away fans?
Nope - home fans only. If you're an away fan and you sneak in then watch out for the twins in there... Ronnie and Reggie will sniff you out and batter you to within an inch of your life. Safe.
If not then there's a huge influx of ex-C Mob chaps that will iron you out

All generations welcome though I think kids need to leave by 7.00pm (a rule previously only for lagged up loud tvvats)

Front section is sort of a decking area off the Ucky Road -- really pushing it to call it a garden. This is a bug bear of mine. I cannot abide smoking but I do like outdoor drinking when the rare days the weather allows. The front area is unusable unless you want to inhale secondary smoke.

Beer garden?
See above - don't believe it if people tell you this is a garden. It's not. It's a decked frontage used exclusively for smoking and also watching Birmingham City fans get laid out.

Just below average. Reasonably good nick but whoever installed the drainage was a cowboy. Always an odour which sometimes permeates into the boozer.

Food is good but toppy prices. We've stopped booking tables which is a shame but the cost was pretty high when you're ordering booze and each drink gets a 12.5% service charge added on.
If sausage rolls and scotch eggs t £36.20 each are your thing then these are available at the bar

Somewhere inbetween. I think it's quite nicely done out myself.
Also the background music can be quite decent -- would benefit from a few Frankie Friday tunes and the volume up a notch now and then though

Visit if you're a home fan and want a decent bit of craic and footy chat, most people in there very friendly. Steer clear if you're an away fan

Any other business?
Yeah -- I believe Discodroid was / is a regular in here... hoping he still is next season and his acquaintance is made.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 17:21]

Absolutely bang on about the bar staff. Sally [current landlord] is absolutely lovely. That fat blonde tw at that came before her was an absolute c0ck though. Had been drinking in that pub for years, and I'm local so not only on football days, and then that arshole turned up being smarmy and condescending. Refused to go in there while he was managing and started at the Crown. Haven't looked back since. Scooby was an absolute gent as well.

The food is decent in there. The 5 tapasish plates for 20 quid always goes down well.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 01:31 - May 21 with 1900 viewsBoston

Adelaide - could bring the whole family over / under for a tenner, mind you it took two weeks by boat, then again the whole country used to be a beer garden. Dunny know much about the bogs. Food - off the barbie apparently.
[Post edited 21 May 2017 1:35]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 01:33 - May 21 with 1900 viewsBoston

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 16:29 - May 18 by terryb

Name of pub: Defectors Weld

Size: Biggish

Selection of beers? Four or five trad ales, some tradecraft, ciders & I assume Lagers

Price of drinks? Bloody expensive compared to Ipswich pubs! Around £4.60 for a pint of trad ale

How full does it get on a matchday? If your there by 1.30 you may be able to get a seat. It's fuller on midweek nights than Saturday lunchtimes.

How are the bar staff? I had a row with them before the Forest game so I'm not the best to answer this!

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? Ten minutes? A damn sight less than the C&S which is why we started using it.

Sky Sports/BT Sport? No

Suitable for away fans? No. Home fans only, but colours not to be seen.

Suitable for families and kids? I'm not sure kids are allowed in.

Where can you go to smoke? I think there is an outside area that I pass on the way (frequent) to the toilets.

Beer garden? Don't think so.

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Actually, there all right! I've even felt OK when needing to sit down!

Does it serve food and is it any good? Yes but no idea if it is good. Pre match is for drinking enough alcohol to help you get through the match.

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Modernish?

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? Visit - Near both Shepherds Bush tube stations & not too far from the ground. Steer clear - Price & bar staff, but mainly so that I can get a seat!

Any other business? None

Millwall away '72, Weld before the Forest game....there's a pattern forming here, Terence.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 06:55 - May 21 with 1869 viewsLadbrokeR

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 18:26 - May 20 by RBlock

Absolutely bang on about the bar staff. Sally [current landlord] is absolutely lovely. That fat blonde tw at that came before her was an absolute c0ck though. Had been drinking in that pub for years, and I'm local so not only on football days, and then that arshole turned up being smarmy and condescending. Refused to go in there while he was managing and started at the Crown. Haven't looked back since. Scooby was an absolute gent as well.

The food is decent in there. The 5 tapasish plates for 20 quid always goes down well.

There was a nice Albanian girl who worked there for a while and i remember a decent Portuguese fella that worked as well. The plastic glasses are a pain. It really is a pub for home fans. There's a nice atmosphere although I was once confronted by an Eastern European who clearly had mental health problems claiming i'd taken his drink which bizarrely resulted in me pushing him backwards. I gotta say I was annoyed when the police closed it early following on from our win at Wembley.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 11:36 - May 21 with 1795 viewsterryb

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 01:33 - May 21 by Boston

Millwall away '72, Weld before the Forest game....there's a pattern forming here, Terence.

Point of order here Boston.

It was Millwall away '73 - promotion day!

And I certainly wasn't arguing that day, fading into the background to avoid confrontation was how I saw it. I don't think a verbal disagreement would have been acceptable, so I willingly laid down my hat to our South London conterparts.

Besides, I had right on my side in my dispute with the barstaff!
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 11:55 - May 22 with 1582 viewsNorthernr

Come on guys, let's have a few more off you, prize draw Wednesday
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 18:02 - May 24 with 1404 viewsNorthernr

Come on you lot, you've got a couple more in you I'm sure.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 19:53 - May 24 with 1371 viewsNoDiddley

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 18:02 - May 24 by Northernr

Does Wetherspoon's Central Bar count as a pub?
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 23:24 - May 24 with 1326 viewsmase

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 13:53 - May 18 by Northernr

And here’s the form to fill in…

Name of pub:

Size:

Selection of beers?

Price of drinks?

How are the bar staff?

Sky Sports/BT Sport?

Suitable for away fans?

Beer garden?

Any other business?

Name of pub: Andover Arms

Size: Medium

Selection of beers? Usual Fullers range plus one or two guest ales. I don't drink lager but I think it's got at least four types. Plus a cider.

Price of drinks? Hammersmith prices. £3.80+ for a real ale. Don't know about the others.

How full does it get on a matchday? It's quiet.

How are the bar staff? Seem to be fairly engaged.

How long does it take to walk to the ground from there? 15-20 min

Sky Sports/BT Sport? No

Suitable for away fans? Yes, even those in colours

Suitable for families and kids? Yes

Where can you go to smoke? It's on a dead end street, so on the pavement or in the road.

Beer garden? No

As far as pub toilets go, just how bad are these? Not bad. On the ground floor, which is always a plus.

Does it serve food and is it any good? Yes. Decent range of lunch options (curry, fish n chips, pies, posh sandwiches, pasta) and it serves in the evening too. Fair (West London) prices. I've had most things on the menu and haven't sent anything back yet. Maybe I'm not the most discerning customer...

Trendy modern bar, traditional pub or somewhere in between? Traditional pub. Very male but no reason women wouldn't like it that I can see.

In one sentence why should people visit/steer clear of this pub? Just far enough from the ground not to be too noisy or obnoxious and serves honest foods and good beers.

Any other business? Make sure you leave enough time too see kick off!
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 23:35 - May 24 with 1316 viewsNorthernr

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 19:53 - May 24 by NoDiddley

Does Wetherspoon's Central Bar count as a pub?

Yes
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 14:56 - May 25 with 1245 viewsqprxtc

Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 18:02 - May 24 by Northernr

It's almost like people on this board don't like going to pubs.

I could do another but I feel I may give the impression I do like going to pubs.
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 16:41 - May 25 with 1224 viewsrobith

I went to Belushis once. It was very dark, and the beer was pretty stale. Can I have a tshirt now plxx
Art of Football LFW Pub Guide — Your help needed, prizes on offer on 12:33 - May 26 with 1144 viewsNorthernr

LBlock came out of the hat for the prize, well done mate, I'll drop you a DM when I'm back from holiday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024