Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Invincible Hoops! 04:01 - May 20 with 2879 viewsFredManRave

Just how good are Celtic?!

Played 37 won 33 and drawn 4 with 1 game of the season to go so will more than likely end up invincible this season. Nowhere near the record of 62 games set by them 100 years ago but even so what does this season say about Celtic and Scotish Football?!

Before slating Scottish football I am prepared to see how well they do in Europe next year...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:17 - May 22 with 604 viewsNorthernr

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:15 - May 22 by DannytheR

You can apply some pretty practical yardsticks to how English and Scottish football compare.

In England Rodgers was proven to basically be a decent, upper mid table manager who had punched above his weight getting the Liverpool job. In Scotland, undefeated.

Stuart Armstrong is the biggest individual success story of Celtic's season, going from squad player to Scotland caps, and is now being linked with a move to... Brighton.

Clint Hill, who much as we love him was coming to the end of his time as a Championship performer, was virtually an ever present for Rangers, and probably their stand out player.

Take Celtic out of the equation along with the very occasional exception to the rule like Ryan Fraser or James McCarthy, and pretty much every other player from the Scottish Premiership ends up in League One or Two when they move down here.

We also saw what happened to Rotherham after the brought Alan Stubbs from Scottish Div 1 to be their manager along with half a dozen Scottish signings.

Just as we previously saw what happened at Middlesbrough when they brought Strachan from Celtic and he signed half a dozen of what were supposed to be the SPL's best players.

Doesn't mean it's not worth scouting though, as you can find players like Robertson who I'd expect to get a move from Hull this summer and stay in the Prem. But don't lazily assume that 30 goals for Celtic means you'll score goals in the Championship.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The Invincible Hoops! on 14:32 - May 22 with 580 viewsDannytheR

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:17 - May 22 by Northernr

We also saw what happened to Rotherham after the brought Alan Stubbs from Scottish Div 1 to be their manager along with half a dozen Scottish signings.

Just as we previously saw what happened at Middlesbrough when they brought Strachan from Celtic and he signed half a dozen of what were supposed to be the SPL's best players.

Doesn't mean it's not worth scouting though, as you can find players like Robertson who I'd expect to get a move from Hull this summer and stay in the Prem. But don't lazily assume that 30 goals for Celtic means you'll score goals in the Championship.

Yeah, there's always going to be decent young players there, much as with Manning, the Irish league will still turn out promising kids. But they're more likely to be playing for the smaller clubs. McCarthy and McArthur both came from Hamilton, and that Kingsley lad at Swansea was originally at Falkirk I think.

For instance, I've got a football mad branch of the family in Edinburgh, and they reckon the one actual Scottish player in Scotland apart from Kieran Tierney who could make it down here at a good level is a centre back called Liam Lindsay (Lindsey?) who plays for Partick and hasn't even been called up by Strachan (whose judgement I wouldn't trust to pick a pub team).
[Post edited 22 May 2017 14:33]
The Invincible Hoops! on 14:52 - May 22 with 566 viewspaulparker

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:17 - May 22 by Northernr

you can add Mcinness at Bristol city , Levien at Leicester and my mate McNamara at York

saying that its no more of a risk than buying players from the dutch league, how many flops have been churned out for big money in recent years , Kezman, Jansen, van wolfswinkel , Fer , Blind, Depay , Afellay , Janmaat when if you went back 20-30 years it was a brilliant league to get players
I suppose it all comes down to your scouting network and doing your homework on individual players , Everton, Soton & Spurs seem to be the leaders in this now
interesting that we had people sent to Athletico Bilbao last week , maybe we are looking to run a similar thing , with a QPR connection through the whole club and buying British/English talent only

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:57 - May 22 with 558 viewsJamesB1979

McInnes had 1 good season and 1 bad at Bristol. He kept them up in his first season, after taking over when they were bottom of the table. Personally, I think he'd be an excellent choice for a championship team with a limited budget.
The Invincible Hoops! on 14:57 - May 22 with 558 viewsNorthernr

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:52 - May 22 by paulparker

you can add Mcinness at Bristol city , Levien at Leicester and my mate McNamara at York

saying that its no more of a risk than buying players from the dutch league, how many flops have been churned out for big money in recent years , Kezman, Jansen, van wolfswinkel , Fer , Blind, Depay , Afellay , Janmaat when if you went back 20-30 years it was a brilliant league to get players
I suppose it all comes down to your scouting network and doing your homework on individual players , Everton, Soton & Spurs seem to be the leaders in this now
interesting that we had people sent to Athletico Bilbao last week , maybe we are looking to run a similar thing , with a QPR connection through the whole club and buying British/English talent only

Dutch league is better than Scottish league, and has far better youth development, but yeh somebody who's scored loads there doesn't necessarily score loads here - Alfonso Alves best example.
The Invincible Hoops! on 15:22 - May 22 with 549 viewsJamesB1979

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:57 - May 22 by Northernr

Dutch league is better than Scottish league, and has far better youth development, but yeh somebody who's scored loads there doesn't necessarily score loads here - Alfonso Alves best example.

Worked in Holland for 2 years and watched a bit of footy there. Agree on top half but rest are rubbish. On a par with our championship and the SPL in my view.
The Invincible Hoops! on 16:19 - May 22 with 536 viewskarl

June 10th will be an interesting game for a couple of players like Stuart Armstrong, Lindsay is getting good press but wouldnt be fair bumping him straight in against England really, although hope to see him get a chance some time soon. My prediction is we'll see 5-6 Celtic players start and they will have a high tempo to the game, will be an interesting first 30 mins, in many ways it could answer a lot of what the OP asks imo?

For PP, Sunderland have been reported to have an interest in Cummings and John McGinn at Hibs but only evidence has been Moyes in the crowd at a game (maybe 2?) near the season end, certainly nothing concrete being spoken about.
Both on decent length contracts so i expect Hibs holding out for something like £4m total for the pair, a gamble for a club in Sunderlands position although their wages would be modest.
The Invincible Hoops! on 17:12 - May 22 with 506 viewsNorthernr

The Invincible Hoops! on 16:19 - May 22 by karl

June 10th will be an interesting game for a couple of players like Stuart Armstrong, Lindsay is getting good press but wouldnt be fair bumping him straight in against England really, although hope to see him get a chance some time soon. My prediction is we'll see 5-6 Celtic players start and they will have a high tempo to the game, will be an interesting first 30 mins, in many ways it could answer a lot of what the OP asks imo?

For PP, Sunderland have been reported to have an interest in Cummings and John McGinn at Hibs but only evidence has been Moyes in the crowd at a game (maybe 2?) near the season end, certainly nothing concrete being spoken about.
Both on decent length contracts so i expect Hibs holding out for something like £4m total for the pair, a gamble for a club in Sunderlands position although their wages would be modest.

Moyes has just walked out as well.
Login to get fewer ads

The Invincible Hoops! on 16:22 - May 23 with 420 viewsManinBlack

I used to love Scottish football and went to many games in the 80's. One of the best atmosphere's I ever experienced was in the Hibs end at Celtic Park when they came from behind to beat Celtic 3-2 and they had ex-R's Budgie in goal. Alas, as so often happens, money ruins everything. Only in this case just one club seems to be benefitting financially.

The demise of Rangers basically handed the title to Celtic every season. Consequently they are the only Scottish team to get into the Champions League every year and therefore rake in the big money so the gap every season between them and the rest is growing season by season. At the same time as Rangers being exiled in the lower leagues, clubs like Hibernian, Dundee United and Hearts, who could all beat Celtic on their day, went into decline and dropped into the Championship.

The one saving grace for Scottish football has been the cups where at least Celtic haven't dominated until this season. Recently Ross County, St Johnstone, Inverness, and at last, Hibs have won cup finals so at least that has kept the interest going.

The issue Scottish football faces is if Celtic keep winning the league and getting the Champions League dosh year in year out and get so far ahead, like they have been this season, then the SPL is effectively a league of one. Never mind ten in a row, it could become twenty in a row or thirty in a row. Something has to happen to prevent this but I very much doubt sugar daddy's will come along to invest in the other clubs to make an effective challenge.
The Invincible Hoops! on 19:23 - May 23 with 390 viewssmegma

The Invincible Hoops! on 16:22 - May 23 by ManinBlack

I used to love Scottish football and went to many games in the 80's. One of the best atmosphere's I ever experienced was in the Hibs end at Celtic Park when they came from behind to beat Celtic 3-2 and they had ex-R's Budgie in goal. Alas, as so often happens, money ruins everything. Only in this case just one club seems to be benefitting financially.

The demise of Rangers basically handed the title to Celtic every season. Consequently they are the only Scottish team to get into the Champions League every year and therefore rake in the big money so the gap every season between them and the rest is growing season by season. At the same time as Rangers being exiled in the lower leagues, clubs like Hibernian, Dundee United and Hearts, who could all beat Celtic on their day, went into decline and dropped into the Championship.

The one saving grace for Scottish football has been the cups where at least Celtic haven't dominated until this season. Recently Ross County, St Johnstone, Inverness, and at last, Hibs have won cup finals so at least that has kept the interest going.

The issue Scottish football faces is if Celtic keep winning the league and getting the Champions League dosh year in year out and get so far ahead, like they have been this season, then the SPL is effectively a league of one. Never mind ten in a row, it could become twenty in a row or thirty in a row. Something has to happen to prevent this but I very much doubt sugar daddy's will come along to invest in the other clubs to make an effective challenge.

Well said.

It used to be a 'League Of Two'.....now it's a League Of One. It's a farce. Give it 10 years and the PL will be similar.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024