Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Invincible Hoops! 04:01 - May 20 with 2878 viewsFredManRave

Just how good are Celtic?!

Played 37 won 33 and drawn 4 with 1 game of the season to go so will more than likely end up invincible this season. Nowhere near the record of 62 games set by them 100 years ago but even so what does this season say about Celtic and Scotish Football?!

Before slating Scottish football I am prepared to see how well they do in Europe next year...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

The Invincible Hoops! on 07:50 - May 20 with 2231 viewsNortholt_Rs

It says a lot more about the other teams in the SPL. Rangers are at our League 1 standard. If Celtic really had great players the EPL teams would be asset stripping them like mad (much bigger wages, global experience sure, etc.).

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

The Invincible Hoops! on 08:29 - May 20 with 2185 viewsJamesB1979

I think saying Rangers are league 1 standard is a bit harsh. Think them and Aberdeen would be mid table in the championship. Put it another way, do you think we'd beat them over 2 legs? Unlikely I'd say. Celtic would prob be mid table in prem, which is why they dominate the league.
The Invincible Hoops! on 08:43 - May 20 with 2177 viewskarl

Although you will get the obvious insults to the standard of the Scottish game I'll answer by saying that what this season has proved to me that Brendan Rodgers is a good coach and manager. The squad he took over was added to with an u tried Championship signing and the unreliable Scott Sinclair but he has transformed them from a team who everyone felt they had a chance of beating to this position of going the league season unbeaten.
This on its own doesn't look great for our game but the fact he has managed it with a core of young Scottish talent is potentially great for the national team, 2 draws against City and one against Borussia Monch tell me its not just against cannon fodder teams they're capable of doing it, don't forget City were flying and the draw at Celtic was the first time they looked unsure of themselves.
Although they will ultimately win most cups if he is manager I hope Rodgers does stay for another couple of seasons and by doing so raises the standard expected of young Scottish players.
The Invincible Hoops! on 09:20 - May 20 with 2148 viewspaulparker

I'm with Karl on this Rodgers has done a great job at Celtic yes he is a bit David Brent at times but he knows what he is doing and he got them to the champions league groups , I would love him at Rangers or as England manager , also I love watching Patrick Roberts play , what a player he could be shame he went to city as he will never kick on there , that boy should be playing for England now
Quick one for Karl what's happening with the lad Gauld at sporting Lisbon , last I heard he was on loan at another portagese club but it went sour , sod your ravel Morrisons this boy could play in the number ten role for us

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The Invincible Hoops! on 11:58 - May 20 with 2066 viewsbosh67

It's an amazing achievement but it is like putting Chelsea with all their resources in our division and then only having teams in that division with half of what we have.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The Invincible Hoops! on 12:11 - May 20 with 2038 viewsTacticalR

The Invincible Hoops! on 11:58 - May 20 by bosh67

It's an amazing achievement but it is like putting Chelsea with all their resources in our division and then only having teams in that division with half of what we have.

That doesn't sound good.

Air hostess clique

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:01 - May 20 with 1972 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Most Premier League teams could not go unbeaten in the SPL. I'd say they'd be Top 7/8 if they were in the Prem

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

The Invincible Hoops! on 16:47 - May 20 with 1874 viewskarl

The Invincible Hoops! on 09:20 - May 20 by paulparker

I'm with Karl on this Rodgers has done a great job at Celtic yes he is a bit David Brent at times but he knows what he is doing and he got them to the champions league groups , I would love him at Rangers or as England manager , also I love watching Patrick Roberts play , what a player he could be shame he went to city as he will never kick on there , that boy should be playing for England now
Quick one for Karl what's happening with the lad Gauld at sporting Lisbon , last I heard he was on loan at another portagese club but it went sour , sod your ravel Morrisons this boy could play in the number ten role for us

Sorry PP been travelling all day, Fails is at Sporting Lisbon and they want to off load him as he hasn't managed to break through, he is a lovely footballer but time will tell if he has the physical side required. They paid a fair transfer fee for him so might be looking for most of that back? Can't remember how much it was but circa £3m I think
[Post edited 20 May 2017 16:49]
Login to get fewer ads

The Invincible Hoops! on 16:50 - May 20 with 1868 viewskarl

Phone not letting me edit, Fails is a Freudian spell check for Gauld of course!
The Invincible Hoops! on 16:54 - May 20 with 1861 viewsdanehoop

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:01 - May 20 by RANGERS4EVER

Most Premier League teams could not go unbeaten in the SPL. I'd say they'd be Top 7/8 if they were in the Prem

No, really no evidence of that. Standard of football in SPL really isn't much better than L1/lower Championship at best and Celtic currently have the purchasing power that dwarfs any of the other teams in their league (and probably all combined). Most premier teams would dominate SPL even more than Celtic. Don't want to take away from the achievement - but you do need to keep it in context.

Never knowingly understood

The Invincible Hoops! on 18:23 - May 20 with 1786 viewssmegma

After 121 years of league football, the title has gone to clubs outside the Old Firm on a mere 19 occasions. 30 years ago players from English clubs would go to Glasgow to improve either team. They even started buying overseas players as well, again to improve the teams. Now Celtic buy players from England who can't get a regular game for their clubs, the latest rumour appears to be Fabian Delph who has hardly kicked a ball for 2 years.
As for their achievements, they won a one horse race. Well done.
The Invincible Hoops! on 13:32 - May 21 with 1649 viewsJamesB1979

Do think McInnes has done an amazing job at Aberdeen. No budget and brings in young Scottish players.
The Invincible Hoops! on 14:47 - May 21 with 1589 viewsMonahoop

They have had a remarkable season, but have they been totally unbeaten this term? I thought Celtic's season kicked off early in July last year with a trip to Gibralter for a European Champions qualifier and they ended up losing to bunch of butchers, bakers and candle stick makers. Are Celtic in denial this ever happened or has this defeat been conveniently swept under the carpet with the hope that everyone forgot about it? This was after all a proper competitive game and not some pre season friendly where a defeat wouldn't really count or matter.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

The Invincible Hoops! on 00:12 - May 22 with 1457 viewsBluce_Ree

I've not watched a second of Scottish football in years and I don't plan to again which is good because when they win ten in a row they'll be insufferable.

Joke league, easily to dislike club.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

The Invincible Hoops! on 02:31 - May 22 with 1419 viewskarl

Sorry PP never read your post properly and just home after a jaunt south.
Gauld was on loan but his loan club played SL in a game where they got a controversial last minute winning penalty and SL spat the dummy out and recalled him, they still want to move him on but that was the reason for his loan being cut short!
The Invincible Hoops! on 02:36 - May 22 with 1419 viewsSydneyRs

While there's certainly some truth in statements that Scottish football lacks quality, it hasn't been done by anyone since the end of the 19th century. Therefore it is a great achievement.

For around a decade in the 1980s and 90s, the situation was reversed. Rangers were cashed up in a modernised stadium and buying England internationals, attracted by the fact they could play in Europe while English clubs were banned. Meanwhile Celtic were skint, signing league one standard players and trying to figure out where they would be playing as their ground was deteriorating fast. There was a long running joke among the support about the boardroom biscuit tin that contained the club's finances. That was all overlooked as the UK press fawned over the achievements of Graeme Souness and his side as they ran out at every home game to Tina Turner's "simply the best". We all know what a good boss Souness turned out to be when in a competitive league.

That Rangers side had every advantage Celtic have at the moment (and more when able to attract players otheriwse banned from Euro competition) and never managed an unbeaten season.
[Post edited 22 May 2017 2:42]
The Invincible Hoops! on 02:39 - May 22 with 1416 viewsSydneyRs

The Invincible Hoops! on 14:47 - May 21 by Monahoop

They have had a remarkable season, but have they been totally unbeaten this term? I thought Celtic's season kicked off early in July last year with a trip to Gibralter for a European Champions qualifier and they ended up losing to bunch of butchers, bakers and candle stick makers. Are Celtic in denial this ever happened or has this defeat been conveniently swept under the carpet with the hope that everyone forgot about it? This was after all a proper competitive game and not some pre season friendly where a defeat wouldn't really count or matter.

Technically that was half of a cup tie, which they won.
The Invincible Hoops! on 03:01 - May 22 with 1399 viewskarl

It's a domestic unbeaten record, they got humped by Barcelona too.
Glasgow Rangers dominance in the period Sydney highlights coincides with the period they were avoiding taxes which ultimately led to their liquadation
The Invincible Hoops! on 10:22 - May 22 with 1305 viewspaulparker

The Invincible Hoops! on 02:31 - May 22 by karl

Sorry PP never read your post properly and just home after a jaunt south.
Gauld was on loan but his loan club played SL in a game where they got a controversial last minute winning penalty and SL spat the dummy out and recalled him, they still want to move him on but that was the reason for his loan being cut short!

cheers Karl , its a shame to see a talented lad like him not making it, I saw him at Dundee utd a few times and I thought he was a brilliant little player a bit like Patrick Roberts at Celtic , imho he would be worth a gamble here if we could get him for say 1.5 million plus add ons , shame as I think Scotland could be onto something if you played a 3 of Burke, Gauld , Snodgrass, behind a striker like Griffiths
I also heard that Cummings at Hibs another lad I rate could be going to Sunderland , again I think he would be good here

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The Invincible Hoops! on 11:06 - May 22 with 1279 viewsNorthernr

Somewhere between Watford and Hull. Scott Sinclair looks like a world beater which tells you all you need to know.
The Invincible Hoops! on 11:09 - May 22 with 1273 viewsaston_hoop

Can't decide if that Stuart Armstrong looks like a class act or if its 4 games a season against Partick Thistle that does that.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

The Invincible Hoops! on 12:52 - May 22 with 1225 viewsJamesB1979

I would put Celtic in the bournemouth to stork section of the premiership table. Aberdeen and Rangers are probably mid table championship teams.
The Invincible Hoops! on 13:54 - May 22 with 1172 viewsNorthernr

The Invincible Hoops! on 12:52 - May 22 by JamesB1979

I would put Celtic in the bournemouth to stork section of the premiership table. Aberdeen and Rangers are probably mid table championship teams.

Aberdeen and Rangers would do well not to be relegated from this division. Look at the players they have who have played Championship before and where they ended up. Waghorn is talking about leaving Rangers this summer and who's leading the chase for his signature? Scunthorpe - League One.
The Invincible Hoops! on 14:04 - May 22 with 1156 viewsstevec

I was hoping for Scottish Independence purely on the basis Scottish football highlights would never ever again by shown on the BBC news.

Nobody gives a fúck.
The Invincible Hoops! on 14:15 - May 22 with 1143 viewsDannytheR

You can apply some pretty practical yardsticks to how English and Scottish football compare.

In England Rodgers was proven to basically be a decent, upper mid table manager who had punched above his weight getting the Liverpool job. In Scotland, undefeated.

Stuart Armstrong is the biggest individual success story of Celtic's season, going from squad player to Scotland caps, and is now being linked with a move to... Brighton.

Clint Hill, who much as we love him was coming to the end of his time as a Championship performer, was virtually an ever present for Rangers, and probably their stand out player.

Take Celtic out of the equation along with the very occasional exception to the rule like Ryan Fraser or James McCarthy, and pretty much every other player from the Scottish Premiership ends up in League One or Two when they move down here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024