Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player Rotation stats 08:01 - May 20 with 1313 viewsdavman

From Experimental 361:
https://experimental361.com/2017/05/19/squad-usage-profiles-championship-201617/

Shows player usage over the season and that the most "common" XI was on the pitch just over one and a half games. It was also (unsurprisingly ) during JFH's time here.

Only Forest, Wigan and, surprisingly Sheffield Weds had their "common XI" on the field for less time than us. Also, proving that rotation is everywhere, the most common XI (Bristol C) was only together 397 minutes (4 and a bit games).

So I guess from this, modern trend is away from having a best XI each and every week and rotating whether we like it or nor. Yes, we did it too much towards the end of the season, but Ollie was looking at his squad in proper competitive games, which was their reasoning.

Interesting graphics though...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Player Rotation stats on 08:25 - May 20 with 1286 viewsElHoop

It's an interesting idea but I think that whoever compiled the figures screwed up by looking at an XI rather than a smaller number of players. Whether exactly the same XI plays every game is largely a question of fate rather than choice. A smaller core of players is probably more significant in terms of being controllable and perhaps therefore leading to success. The table could have just given the total minutes for each number of core players - say 11,10,9, 8 7,6. I doubt that we'd be looking too good anyway, as even a core of 6 would be beyond us over very many games a season at the moment.
Player Rotation stats on 13:26 - May 20 with 1216 viewsMatch82

I wonder what leicester's numbers looked like last year, that's been held up as poster child for team consistency recently
Player Rotation stats on 14:53 - May 20 with 1177 viewsSimonJames

This gives more weight to the argument that you need a club playing style rather than trying to build teams based around one or two players.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Player Rotation stats on 14:55 - May 20 with 1176 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The supposed benefits of player rotation have always eluded me. You play your best eleven every game, resting them only for medical reasons. The message has to be clear - we try to win every single game and to do that we put our best eleven out. Train hard enough and you'll be one of the eleven. Don't and you won't. You never, ever rest a player because you need to keep someone else happy.

If a player can't accept the challenge of getting into a team he won't accept the challenges he'll face when he gets there.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Player Rotation stats on 16:06 - May 20 with 1118 viewsAntti_Heinola

Player Rotation stats on 14:55 - May 20 by BrianMcCarthy

The supposed benefits of player rotation have always eluded me. You play your best eleven every game, resting them only for medical reasons. The message has to be clear - we try to win every single game and to do that we put our best eleven out. Train hard enough and you'll be one of the eleven. Don't and you won't. You never, ever rest a player because you need to keep someone else happy.

If a player can't accept the challenge of getting into a team he won't accept the challenges he'll face when he gets there.

It's not about keeping players happy though, is it? It's about keeping players fresh. And also, one player may be particularly effective against one team, while another may do better against a different one. I'm, unusually, polar opposite to you on this Brian - for me there should be no such thing as a best XI these days: you should have around 16 players who are all good enough so that if one drops out (other than your one, two, or three 'star' men, that every team has) the difference is not too great.
If you say you just play your best XI whatever, then what if there's an injury, someone comes in and does well, is he then automatically dropped when the other is fit? What about loss of form? Fatigue?
Where I slightly agree is in defence. I'd keep the same back four and keeper together as much as possible - but then most teams do do that I think.

Bare bones.

Player Rotation stats on 16:20 - May 20 with 1103 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Player Rotation stats on 16:06 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

It's not about keeping players happy though, is it? It's about keeping players fresh. And also, one player may be particularly effective against one team, while another may do better against a different one. I'm, unusually, polar opposite to you on this Brian - for me there should be no such thing as a best XI these days: you should have around 16 players who are all good enough so that if one drops out (other than your one, two, or three 'star' men, that every team has) the difference is not too great.
If you say you just play your best XI whatever, then what if there's an injury, someone comes in and does well, is he then automatically dropped when the other is fit? What about loss of form? Fatigue?
Where I slightly agree is in defence. I'd keep the same back four and keeper together as much as possible - but then most teams do do that I think.

I did say that medical reasons are the exception for me. If a player is tired or if tests show that he is close to an injury breakdown then he is out of contention.

As for loss of form, yep - if you're out of form take a breather.

I do accept that occasionally you make a change for tactical reasons, the most obvious and most-used example is pace up front against a slow back four or height against a small back four. However, the more I see the more I think that being fluid in your tactics comes at the very high cost of confusing your players. Realistically, teams play twice a week so with rest days and travel days probably only have two or three sessions to work on a new shape or a tactical tweak for the next game.

Nearly every team I've admired - Ajax, Barca, Arsenal - and nearly every great Rangers team in my life played with a recognisable style and a first eleven that was consistent and settled.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Player Rotation stats on 19:19 - May 20 with 1034 viewsDejR_vu

Player Rotation stats on 16:20 - May 20 by BrianMcCarthy

I did say that medical reasons are the exception for me. If a player is tired or if tests show that he is close to an injury breakdown then he is out of contention.

As for loss of form, yep - if you're out of form take a breather.

I do accept that occasionally you make a change for tactical reasons, the most obvious and most-used example is pace up front against a slow back four or height against a small back four. However, the more I see the more I think that being fluid in your tactics comes at the very high cost of confusing your players. Realistically, teams play twice a week so with rest days and travel days probably only have two or three sessions to work on a new shape or a tactical tweak for the next game.

Nearly every team I've admired - Ajax, Barca, Arsenal - and nearly every great Rangers team in my life played with a recognisable style and a first eleven that was consistent and settled.

I think there's sensible rotation and then there's the extraordinary shenanigans IH was getting up to. The latter has probably jaundiced most fans' view of the former.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Player Rotation stats on 12:37 - May 21 with 894 viewsWadR

I'm a big fan of this guy's use of stats and the way he makes football analytics like xpg far more approachable.

Recommend these two articles, lots of graphical interpretations showing how poor we've been. Although interestingly, the latter article shows Idrissa Sylla as being in the top 10% of goalscorers in the division - in both rate of scoring per minute and quality of chances.

https://experimental361.com/2017/05/07/scatter-graphics-championship-201617/

https://experimental361.com/2017/05/07/attack-breakdowns-championship-201617/

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024