Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer Targets - From Offish 15:14 - May 23 with 10533 viewsdaveB

Director of Football says Rangers must achieve value for money on targets …

Les Ferdinand says QPR must achieve value for money on transfers this summer
QPR's Director of Football will join Ian Holloway to meet owners this week
LES Ferdinand says QPR are working tirelessly on recruitment to give them the best chance of achieving value for money in this summer’s transfer window.

The club’s Director of Football is working with manager Ian Holloway and recruitment consultant Gary Penrice to build a squad for the 2017/18 campaign after the R’s narrowly avoided relegation this term.

Targets have been identified, but Ferdinand is keen for a sense of caution as the club continues to work its way towards a sustainable future.

Ahead of flying out of the country with Holloway and CEO Lee Hoos to meet the club’s owners, Ferdinand told www.qpr.co.uk: “We have to be realistic about where we are, and do everything we can to ensure we achieve value for money on any transfer business.

“We are working to a tight budget so in order for us to go out and buy players, we may need to sell to raise funds.

“We’ve got targets and we have a board meeting later this week which will give us a clearer picture of how we will move forward.”

Ideally, QPR would only look to make minimal changes to the personnel of the squad during a transfer window, but Ferdinand admits that is unlikely this time around.

“For a while now I have been talking about the need for stability,” he said.

“In the first year I was here we had 13 or 14 players leave, so we had to replenish.

“That’s never an ideal situation or what you want to be doing. I want us to get to the stage where we are only having to add one or two. We are not at that stage yet and, if the funds are available, we will probably be looking to do a little more than that this summer.”

The transfer window is now open until the end of August and Ferdinand believes it is during this period that his role is crucial, as he looks to futureproof any investments the club makes.

“We are looking at targets all the time, and speaking with the manager on a daily basis,” he said.

“He has come in, he’s assessed the squad and identified where he wants to strengthen, and told us the type of players he likes and those that he believes can move the club forward.

“We all have our ideas and our input. It’s not just about now and the manager, but it’s for the future as well - that’s the whole point of the position I am in.

“We can’t base our decisions purely around the manager. We brought Gary Penrice in as a recruitment consultant. That was a QPR appointment with the manager’s blessing. I’ve been trying to bring Gary in for a while, and thought I had him at the start of this season at one point — he came to one of our first games. But Ollie coming in obviously helped us get that one across the line.

“Whatever work we do during this window, we have to make sure we make the best decisions for the club.”

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/les-ferdinand-transfers-championship-3
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:04 - May 23 with 2349 viewsNorthernr

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:03 - May 23 by DannytheR

I think we might on the end of a bit of a double whammy here — the owners essentially withdrawing their financial support at the same time as a manager is wanting half a new team again (and being prepared to throw players under the bus to force the club's hand).

Doesn't leave us much choice but to sell.

I've got a bad feeling about next season.

You and me both.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:18 - May 23 with 2314 viewsFredManRave

I think we might on the end of a bit of a double whammy here — the owners essentially withdrawing their financial support at the same time as a manager is wanting half a new team again (and being prepared to throw players under the bus to force the club's hand).

Let's just hope Pardew and Allardyce have been snapped up by the 4th of November...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:19 - May 23 with 2306 viewsJamesB1979

Are the owners withdrawing financial support or are we simply trying to balance books and adhere to FFP.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:28 - May 23 with 2281 viewsDannyPaddox

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 16:54 - May 23 by ElHoop

Probably a stupid question but is there any chance at all of Caulker being fit to play again?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:31 - May 23 with 2275 viewsBlue_Castello

Well I guess it's all how you want to spin the current situation, the owners knowing that they have already transgressed FFP once have decided they must adhere to the new rules or face even more severe penalties, to that end they have appointed one of the best CEOs outside of the Premiership.

The club has been through tremendous personnel changes over the last few seasons, last year we still had to offload players from one of the biggest wage bills in the division, that's not an easy task and finding homes for some players almost impossible. We are now purchasing players within our budgetary structure, that means cheaper players and invariably ones you have to take a gamble on, we've had some successes and failures, the same as most other clubs.

We've finally got our act together in the transfer market, brought in three players permanently in January, Freeman looks an absolute steal, Smith will become a good squad player and we purchased one of Man Utds promising young midfield players who may yet come good, not bad business in my book. There's more work to be done this Summer but for some strange reason I have some confidence in Les and Ollie and think they will be very selective in the new recruits, let's try and be a bit positive before we've even got one new player through the door......
[Post edited 23 May 2017 22:45]
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:33 - May 23 with 2269 viewsDannytheR

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:19 - May 23 by JamesB1979

Are the owners withdrawing financial support or are we simply trying to balance books and adhere to FFP.

No evidence to back it up, but I've started to think it's probably the former.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:39 - May 23 with 2257 viewsGloucs_R

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:31 - May 23 by Blue_Castello

Well I guess it's all how you want to spin the current situation, the owners knowing that they have already transgressed FFP once have decided they must adhere to the new rules or face even more severe penalties, to that end they have appointed one of the best CEOs outside of the Premiership.

The club has been through tremendous personnel changes over the last few seasons, last year we still had to offload players from one of the biggest wage bills in the division, that's not an easy task and finding homes for some players almost impossible. We are now purchasing players within our budgetary structure, that means cheaper players and invariably ones you have to take a gamble on, we've had some successes and failures, the same as most other clubs.

We've finally got our act together in the transfer market, brought in three players permanently in January, Freeman looks an absolute steal, Smith will become a good squad player and we purchased one of Man Utds promising young midfield players who may yet come good, not bad business in my book. There's more work to be done this Summer but for some strange reason I have some confidence in Les and Ollie and think they will be very selective in the new recruits, let's try and be a bit positive before we've even got one new player through the door......

The most positive post I've read for ages

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:43 - May 23 with 2244 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

'Ideally, QPR would only look to make minimal changes to the personnel of the squad during a transfer window, but Ferdinand admits that is unlikely this time around.'

When it comes to transfers I feel like a kid who has eaten too many sweets.

I think I got my first stiffy when I thought we were going to sign Roberto Baggio in '95.

Now I just groan when I see us linked with anybody, because I know we'll churn them up.

Bring on a transfer embargo please. I'd rather watch Josh Bowler than watch a club like Brentford take us to the cleaners.
Login to get fewer ads

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:49 - May 23 with 2214 viewsdavman

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:25 - May 23 by Northernr

Sylla a fairly safe bet, Holloway would probably drive the removal truck himself.

So QPR - whatever money we get for Sylla will be well short of enough to get ten goals playing half a season.

He has his limitations, like Polter, but unlike Polter (and Washington to a degree) he knows where the goal is. We will not replace him well.

Maybe they think Grego Cox is the answer - I hope not as he still a'int ready.

Like you, I find myself wishing another season away before its even started...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 03:17 - May 24 with 2120 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:49 - May 23 by davman

So QPR - whatever money we get for Sylla will be well short of enough to get ten goals playing half a season.

He has his limitations, like Polter, but unlike Polter (and Washington to a degree) he knows where the goal is. We will not replace him well.

Maybe they think Grego Cox is the answer - I hope not as he still a'int ready.

Like you, I find myself wishing another season away before its even started...

Sylla should be kept and in the team up front - he only started 14 games (18 games as sub) and scored 10 goals (some goals as a sub).

Holloway has already been critical of Sylla even though he has easily been our best forward last season.
For some reason Holloway seems to prefer players that are British.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 04:32 - May 24 with 2109 viewsPlanetHonneywood

The profligacy of Tony Pony.

We've gone from him spouting about how the signing of JSP was a marquee signing of intent (when we all knew he was way past his best) to scavenging for value. It's a shame we weren't so prudent when we sloshing the cash about.

Smithies is an excellent keeper, we've been lucky to have him between the sticks. But Ingram is also good and if we sell the former, I think we're solid enough with the latter.

But as with all these things, it's what you do with the money. And while we might need some to pay off FFP, let's hope whatever is spent, is spent wisely.

Oh well, onwards etc.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 12:48 - May 24 with 1897 viewsDorse

My feeling is that the club is being far more sensible than previously. The wage bill will have been reduced again by Henry's departure and Mackie's reduced terms. Caulker either has to step up or push off next season. It is reasonable to expect that he'll go too.

Saleable assets at the club include: Smithies, Ingram, Onuoha, Furlong, Hall, Manning, Luongo, Ngbakoto, Sylla and others. Frankly, I wouldn't want to lose any of them at this stage but I would expect to see at least one depart in the summer. How different is that from the past few years when it was 'who can we shift?' rather than 'who can we hang onto?'

The club has got more of the transfers right than wrong recently: Wzsolek, Smith, Freeman, even Borysiuk who looked good before he had to leave. Jury's out on Washington (as far as I'm concerned - I like the way he plays but would someone please pick him in his correct postion?!) Sylla gets goals but never looks composed. We have made decent signings.

BUT

I have been banging on about this for ages (I am fully aware that QPR don't read my posts - bastards) but the weakness in the club is, and has been for a considerable time, the centre of defence. I have bored people $hitless going on about CB pairings: get this element right and it makes a huge difference. It frees up the full-backs; it means that the covering midfielder only tracks the runner from deep rather than trying to become another CB to shore up a shambles.

I thought Lynch would be a great signing. Really. I still think he could be. However, for whatever reason, it hasn't worked. Onuoha is limited but is a ferocious man-marker. Stick him with a solid head-it-kick-it-cripple-it CB with Hall as deep-lying midfield and that is a combo that would make me smile.

I honestly believe that we need more than one CB to come in, not necessarily as a first choice but look what happened when we had injuries in the defence this season. We were one CB short. If we aren't going to promote youth players like Paul then it's another CB. This can be funded by losing Caulker: the saving on his wages alone may part-fund a transfer!

We absolutely need to get this right but I have more faith that we will than I had under, say, Redcrapp or Hughes.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 12:55 - May 24 with 1878 viewsFredManRave

I-d have more faith in this guy than Hughes or Redknapp

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 13:30 - May 24 with 1815 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:31 - May 23 by Blue_Castello

Tend to agree with this viewpoint.

I wouldn't worry about Ferdinand's words at all. Best to temper the expectations of supporters and also maybe - and I do mean maybe - send a polite message to the manager and to other clubs.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 14:19 - May 24 with 1731 viewsNorthernr

I know Brentford is an easy (and boring) stick to beat our club with but I notice that while we're all flying out to bloody Malaysia or wherever next week to finalise the budget and the targets, Brentford have made two signings already.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 14:58 - May 24 with 1676 viewsTheChef

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 14:19 - May 24 by Northernr

I know Brentford is an easy (and boring) stick to beat our club with but I notice that while we're all flying out to bloody Malaysia or wherever next week to finalise the budget and the targets, Brentford have made two signings already.

Who's that?

Bet they're fockin useless.

Or not

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:22 - May 24 with 1653 viewsDorse

Oh yeah? Well, wait till you see who we've got coming. #announceravelagainandthenrealisehe'sshitandnotplayhim

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:24 - May 24 with 1643 viewsdaveB

They also don't have a massive fine hanging over their heads which will have a huge impact on what we can and can't spend this summer
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:28 - May 24 with 1636 viewsdaveB

I don't think are a million miles away from a decent side. We do lack in key areas though, I know we talk a lot about leaders but I think we lack a winning mentality and don't have enough players who know how to win games when things get tough. We also lack a goalscorer and are still weak in defence.

If we add the right players for those roles then we should do pretty well next year but it's easier said than done and if we get it wrong this summer the makings of a good side can quickly turn into a relegated one.

I've said before every QPR side I've seen relegated had the makings of a decent side but things went wrong and it quickly unraveled, we need a good summer to ensure that doesn't happen again
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:32 - May 24 with 1622 viewsNorthernr

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:24 - May 24 by daveB

They also don't have a massive fine hanging over their heads which will have a huge impact on what we can and can't spend this summer

Do we really expect this to be sorted in the next week? What's the appeals process for either side on this arbitration thing. It's like hover cars/new QPR training grounds that thing.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:33 - May 24 with 1619 viewssimmo

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:24 - May 24 by daveB

I don't think that's the point, also if we do have additional considerations that mean we must have meetings and so on, why hasn't that been done already? We've known our status for weeks now.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 16:03 - May 24 with 1585 viewsdaveB

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:32 - May 24 by Northernr

Do we really expect this to be sorted in the next week? What's the appeals process for either side on this arbitration thing. It's like hover cars/new QPR training grounds that thing.

I don't think you can appeal, this will be it.

I just think whatever the club do these days they are wrong. One minute it's wrong that they want to sign too many players the next they are wrong for not having signed anyone yet.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 16:14 - May 24 with 1567 viewsNorthernr

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 16:03 - May 24 by daveB

I don't think you can appeal, this will be it.

I just think whatever the club do these days they are wrong. One minute it's wrong that they want to sign too many players the next they are wrong for not having signed anyone yet.

They're not mutually exclusive. Tearing the squad up in January, talking about how brilliantly it went in March, then deciding it needs tearing up again in the summer at the end of April isn't right. But having decided to do that, it is a bit concern that they don't even know what budget they're going to be working to and it's May 24. Nobody signs anybody in May or June really, we have this nonsense panic on here every June end when nobody has arrived, but you should at least know the budget by now.

But yeh, if the FFP thing is finally to be absolutely decided next week then fair point.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 16:58 - May 24 with 1492 viewsdaveB

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 16:14 - May 24 by Northernr

They're not mutually exclusive. Tearing the squad up in January, talking about how brilliantly it went in March, then deciding it needs tearing up again in the summer at the end of April isn't right. But having decided to do that, it is a bit concern that they don't even know what budget they're going to be working to and it's May 24. Nobody signs anybody in May or June really, we have this nonsense panic on here every June end when nobody has arrived, but you should at least know the budget by now.

But yeh, if the FFP thing is finally to be absolutely decided next week then fair point.

I'm not sure tearing it up and starting again is what's happening though.

Bircham is on the offish today saying most of the current group will be here for pre season and lots of talk about working with what we have but adding a few which is what we need imo. Ferdinand and Holloway have both said similar.

We'll have changes this summer but I think the main bulk of the squad is not going to change that much, it's more going to be the fringe players such as Nasser, Ariel, Gladwin, Doughty etc who leave.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 17:08 - May 24 with 1471 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 16:14 - May 24 by Northernr

IF (big if, because I haven't got a clue) the arbitration is binding, then could there not be a certain element of posturing pre the outcome?

Yes subsequently we will very definitely have to be good boys and stay within the current FFP rules, but surely signing anyone for a "decent" fee and on "reasonable" monies pre the hearing and result could be influential to our pleadings the arbitrators decision?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024