Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer Targets - From Offish 15:14 - May 23 with 10711 viewsdaveB

Director of Football says Rangers must achieve value for money on targets …

Les Ferdinand says QPR must achieve value for money on transfers this summer
QPR's Director of Football will join Ian Holloway to meet owners this week
LES Ferdinand says QPR are working tirelessly on recruitment to give them the best chance of achieving value for money in this summer’s transfer window.

The club’s Director of Football is working with manager Ian Holloway and recruitment consultant Gary Penrice to build a squad for the 2017/18 campaign after the R’s narrowly avoided relegation this term.

Targets have been identified, but Ferdinand is keen for a sense of caution as the club continues to work its way towards a sustainable future.

Ahead of flying out of the country with Holloway and CEO Lee Hoos to meet the club’s owners, Ferdinand told www.qpr.co.uk: “We have to be realistic about where we are, and do everything we can to ensure we achieve value for money on any transfer business.

“We are working to a tight budget so in order for us to go out and buy players, we may need to sell to raise funds.

“We’ve got targets and we have a board meeting later this week which will give us a clearer picture of how we will move forward.”

Ideally, QPR would only look to make minimal changes to the personnel of the squad during a transfer window, but Ferdinand admits that is unlikely this time around.

“For a while now I have been talking about the need for stability,” he said.

“In the first year I was here we had 13 or 14 players leave, so we had to replenish.

“That’s never an ideal situation or what you want to be doing. I want us to get to the stage where we are only having to add one or two. We are not at that stage yet and, if the funds are available, we will probably be looking to do a little more than that this summer.”

The transfer window is now open until the end of August and Ferdinand believes it is during this period that his role is crucial, as he looks to futureproof any investments the club makes.

“We are looking at targets all the time, and speaking with the manager on a daily basis,” he said.

“He has come in, he’s assessed the squad and identified where he wants to strengthen, and told us the type of players he likes and those that he believes can move the club forward.

“We all have our ideas and our input. It’s not just about now and the manager, but it’s for the future as well - that’s the whole point of the position I am in.

“We can’t base our decisions purely around the manager. We brought Gary Penrice in as a recruitment consultant. That was a QPR appointment with the manager’s blessing. I’ve been trying to bring Gary in for a while, and thought I had him at the start of this season at one point — he came to one of our first games. But Ollie coming in obviously helped us get that one across the line.

“Whatever work we do during this window, we have to make sure we make the best decisions for the club.”

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/les-ferdinand-transfers-championship-3
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 17:38 - May 24 with 2046 viewsDejR_vu

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 20:46 - May 23 by LowerloftLad

How much was smithies brought in for I read that as we are selling smithies

I think we have a decent keeper in Ingram to step up if we do lose smithies

Ingram may or may not be decent, time will tell. But Smithies has been absolutely phenomenal. We would have been relegated without him. False economy selling him imo:(1) you won't get that much for him and (2) whatever you do get for him won't buy an outfield player that has the same impact.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 19:00 - May 24 with 1997 viewsWestbourneR

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:17 - May 23 by Northernr

Other than Smithies who exactly could they sell for some serious whack? Or is he basically saying Smithies.

I know people at Rovers and they asked to keep Lumley for another season and Les said no, he had to come back. When you factor Matt Ingram into that you'd have to say that they might well sell Smithies if they get a £5million offer (or something). It'd be a big shame but well spent it could get us a proper centre back and a proper striker.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:20 - May 24 with 1896 viewspaulparker

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 15:28 - May 24 by daveB

I don't think are a million miles away from a decent side. We do lack in key areas though, I know we talk a lot about leaders but I think we lack a winning mentality and don't have enough players who know how to win games when things get tough. We also lack a goalscorer and are still weak in defence.

If we add the right players for those roles then we should do pretty well next year but it's easier said than done and if we get it wrong this summer the makings of a good side can quickly turn into a relegated one.

I've said before every QPR side I've seen relegated had the makings of a decent side but things went wrong and it quickly unraveled, we need a good summer to ensure that doesn't happen again

You maybe right with a couple of good editions we could have a decent 14/15 players as the bulk of the squad , now without sounding controversial i think it's Holloway whom maybe holding us back, look at Fulham, Huddersfield and reading all finished near where we did a year back but with decent managers/coaches hired they have seen a vast improvement
If you look at holloways record with us, palace & millwall it reads like this 37 wins in 138 games
That doesn't look pretty reading I hope I'm wrong but I don't see olly changing this tinkerman policy and I can see a huge struggle a head

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:31 - May 24 with 1881 viewsLblock

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:20 - May 24 by paulparker

You maybe right with a couple of good editions we could have a decent 14/15 players as the bulk of the squad , now without sounding controversial i think it's Holloway whom maybe holding us back, look at Fulham, Huddersfield and reading all finished near where we did a year back but with decent managers/coaches hired they have seen a vast improvement
If you look at holloways record with us, palace & millwall it reads like this 37 wins in 138 games
That doesn't look pretty reading I hope I'm wrong but I don't see olly changing this tinkerman policy and I can see a huge struggle a head

Dark horses this year?!?!?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:37 - May 24 with 1866 viewsNortholt_Rs

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 19:00 - May 24 by WestbourneR

I know people at Rovers and they asked to keep Lumley for another season and Les said no, he had to come back. When you factor Matt Ingram into that you'd have to say that they might well sell Smithies if they get a £5million offer (or something). It'd be a big shame but well spent it could get us a proper centre back and a proper striker.

Like the £3m we spent on 1 goal every 7 games Washington....
[Post edited 24 May 2017 22:38]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 23:40 - May 24 with 1805 viewsNorthernr

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:37 - May 24 by Northolt_Rs

Like the £3m we spent on 1 goal every 7 games Washington....
[Post edited 24 May 2017 22:38]

Or the £1m we spent on Idrissa Sylla who scored more than McCormack and Hogan got for Villa combined for £24m, more than Rhodes and Hooper for Sheff Wed, more than £8m Vydra for Derby, more than Mitrovic at Newcastle etc etc. Only five Championship players have better goals per minute than Sylla last season but our supporters and Holloway keep saying he's crap and a bit foreign.

That doesn't quite suit your point though does it?
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 06:41 - May 25 with 1724 viewsstevec

Not sniffing at his 10 goals, a decent return, but whenever I've seen him he doesn't contribute a great deal in the build up and certainly can't hold the ball up as a single striker.

Admittedly, the midfield doesn't play to his or anybody else's strengths, so difficult to gauge him or Washington fully, just feel even if we got the rest of the side right these two wouldn't kick on much.

At the mo, I've got Burton below us with Bolton and Millwall challenging us for the other two slots.

Much work to be done.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 07:21 - May 25 with 1695 viewsdaveB

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:20 - May 24 by paulparker

Huddersfield and Fulham did finish around the bottom last year but as well as having good managers they did both sign about 13 players last summer, Holloway would be slaughtered on here if he signed a similar number of players

I don't think anyone can say with confidence how Holloway is going to do next season, I hope he learnt a lot about himself from that last month and his time at Millwall when he got a lot wrong but it could easily go either way next season.
Login to get fewer ads

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 07:57 - May 25 with 1671 viewsNorthernr

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 06:41 - May 25 by stevec

Not sniffing at his 10 goals, a decent return, but whenever I've seen him he doesn't contribute a great deal in the build up and certainly can't hold the ball up as a single striker.

Admittedly, the midfield doesn't play to his or anybody else's strengths, so difficult to gauge him or Washington fully, just feel even if we got the rest of the side right these two wouldn't kick on much.

At the mo, I've got Burton below us with Bolton and Millwall challenging us for the other two slots.

Much work to be done.

Fact remains that in a poor team that doesn't service its strikers well, in his first year in the UK and first year of Championship football, he scored better than a goal every other game. Meanwhile just about every other striker you would have creamed your pants over us signing either had a worse ratio, or a worse total and cost many, many, many times as much.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 08:19 - May 25 with 1645 viewsdavman

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 07:57 - May 25 by Northernr

Fact remains that in a poor team that doesn't service its strikers well, in his first year in the UK and first year of Championship football, he scored better than a goal every other game. Meanwhile just about every other striker you would have creamed your pants over us signing either had a worse ratio, or a worse total and cost many, many, many times as much.

Agree with this, which is why I am worried that Ollie and many on here actually don't appear to rate him. We will not replace him with any better from the money we'd get for him.

Still, what do I know; Facebook reminded me of this post from 7 years back this morning...
"a tad upset that QPR seem to want to plunder PalARSE's team now that Warnock is the main man. But then again I should remember what happened in 1981 when the last ex PalARSE manager came our way and bought half the 'Team of the Eighties' (ha, ha) with him - a year later Wembley in the FA Cup final and then a year later promotion by a country mile. A repeat would change my mind somewhat..."

We didn't get the cup, but the other bit worked out even if only temporarily...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 10:39 - May 25 with 1558 viewsDorse

I think Sylla is pretty good but he does look awkward at times. Mind you, it never stopped John Fashanu getting 2 England caps.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 11:59 - May 25 with 1491 viewscaliforniahoop

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 07:57 - May 25 by Northernr

Can't believe the stick he gets, on second thoughts, yes I can.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 12:02 - May 25 with 1485 viewsNorthernr

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 11:59 - May 25 by californiahoop

Can't believe the stick he gets, on second thoughts, yes I can.

To be fair it's Holloway giving him more stick than most!
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 16:33 - May 25 with 1374 viewsAntti_Heinola

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:03 - May 23 by DannytheR

I think we might on the end of a bit of a double whammy here — the owners essentially withdrawing their financial support at the same time as a manager is wanting half a new team again (and being prepared to throw players under the bus to force the club's hand).

Doesn't leave us much choice but to sell.

I've got a bad feeling about next season.

Agree Danny - the way we ended is a worry - we could easily go down next season if Ollie and Les get this transfer window wrong.

Bare bones.

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 20:48 - May 25 with 1291 viewsTheChef

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 12:02 - May 25 by Northernr

Begs the question then who they have lined up if Sylla goes?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 21:00 - May 25 with 1265 viewsDannytheR

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 20:48 - May 25 by TheChef

Begs the question then who they have lined up if Sylla goes?

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 21:15 - May 25 with 1244 viewseghamranger

Quite fancy getting Abraham from Scum that was at Bristol city last season. Seems to be a few rumours about his coming
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:21 - May 25 with 1180 viewsDorse

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 21:15 - May 25 by eghamranger

Quite fancy getting Abraham from Scum that was at Bristol city last season. Seems to be a few rumours about his coming

Filthy bugger. He should be ashamed.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:27 - May 25 with 1169 viewsJamie

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 21:15 - May 25 by eghamranger

They've been lining up a rather random loan move to Fenerbache for ages.
Transfer Targets - From Offish on 22:32 - May 25 with 1166 viewscaliforniahoop

Transfer Targets - From Offish on 12:02 - May 25 by Northernr

Yeah he targeted him, strange man, I believe he got to excited when things started to go well, I think he should go but if he stays, get Kenny Jackett back with him, Ollie is a lose cannon and his offkey ways may damage the young players coming through.

As for Sylla, he needs a target man to play off , crosses and a ball playing CM.

I like the squad, it just needs 2/3 players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024