Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bumping into people in town 08:58 - May 25 with 5256 viewsKonk

I’ve just popped out to get some breakfast and bumped into a woman I worked with 15 years ago — funnily enough, probably the only colleague I’ve really disliked in my entire working life. All a bit awkward as I was pretending I hadn’t clocked her, but she shouted my name out whilst stood about a foot a way from me and I had no option but to feign pleasant surprise. We had to have a long chat about what we’d been doing for the past 15 years. She’s still a tw at, by the way. Anyhow, this got me thinking: I’m in my mid-40’s, and despite spending the working day/evenings and most weekends in town, I reckon that in my whole life, I’ve only ever randomly bumped into 3 people I know in Central London - one was one of my brothers in Rough trade, Covent Garden, another was a former colleague that ended up with a brilliant all-dayer in Soho and the other was today. However, I’ve twice been on a flight and bumped into a former neighbour. What are the chances of that, eh. So, am I just wandering round town completely oblivious to what’s going on around me, are people hiding behind cars when they see me walking down the street or is Central London some weird place where you never spot people you know?

How often do you bump into people when you're out an about? (And yes, I know this a seriously fu cking dull thread, but I'm genuinely interested in other people's experiences)

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Bumping into people in town on 19:48 - May 25 with 1459 viewsYorkRanger

Bumped into a PA from work in Zara in Cartagena in Spain. My wife and daughters were doing the shopping
Bumping into people in town on 19:58 - May 25 with 1454 viewsHarbour

Girl I used to see at college she was studying to be a lawyer and boasted about it... 2 years later on a plane to Spain and she was the stewardess serving drinks said hello she pretended not to know me awkward.... another time couple me and my wife met on holiday... 6 months later we were house hunting went to this house for sale and the couple we met on holiday opened the door... place was a dump very awkward
Bumping into people in town on 21:15 - May 25 with 1399 viewslondonscottish

I've seen Konk three times but I think I got away with it.

The first time was out the back at Craven Cottage in 2015 but just before he clocked me I dived under the posh sausage sandwich stall. My mates thought it was all a bit odd but we were all pissed and I said I'd dropped my programme. Whilst under there I a rubbed it it some of the special mustard & celeriac spread from the Auvergne that they sell there and they said no more about it.

The second time I was walking through Soho at lunchtime. Konk was walking straight towards me and I panicked so I just took a random left and ended up in a really dodgy "shop". Ended up having to buy a triple back of poppers for £50 just to get out of there.

The third time was today just near Tower 42. I thought I was deffo busted but luckily there was a huge security operation on passing by and I managed to nick a scooter and a hammer, caused a fairly major distraction , got away and was back at my desk for 2.00.

Thank f*ck.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 21:16]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Bumping into people in town on 21:49 - May 25 with 1372 viewsHadders

I'd love to bump into you, Konk. Wouldn't know you from Adam though, unfortunately. I think London is just too damn big - you're right, it always feels like this massive coincidence if you bump into anyone in town. I love our city, yet have long thought cities of around a million are the ideal size - big enough to have a vibe, with plenty to do and see, but less alienating, with more of a sense of community. I have stayed with a Croatian friend in Zagreb a few times and he bumps into people almost every single time he goes into town.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 22:36]
Bumping into people in town on 22:06 - May 25 with 1358 viewsRoller

If there is one thing I'm good at it is bumping into people I know. Off the top of my head, I've done so in Fuengirola, Marbella, Tenerife airport, on a flight back from Fuerteventura, Disneyland Paris and Banjul.

My favourite story is much closer to home though. We were on an extended family holiday in Gosport (living the dream). My brother-in-law an I went out to get takeaways on our last night there. The Chinese I went into was run by the couple who used to run our local one in Purley (Denny and Ester from The New Harvest if you are reading this CCJ).
Bumping into people in town on 22:19 - May 25 with 1348 viewsDorse

The other day, I went into WH Smiths and bumped into someone I'd last seen when I was in Primary school. At least I think it was him. It has been a while.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Bumping into people in town on 22:30 - May 25 with 1343 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bumping into people in town on 22:06 - May 25 by Roller

If there is one thing I'm good at it is bumping into people I know. Off the top of my head, I've done so in Fuengirola, Marbella, Tenerife airport, on a flight back from Fuerteventura, Disneyland Paris and Banjul.

My favourite story is much closer to home though. We were on an extended family holiday in Gosport (living the dream). My brother-in-law an I went out to get takeaways on our last night there. The Chinese I went into was run by the couple who used to run our local one in Purley (Denny and Ester from The New Harvest if you are reading this CCJ).

These Chinese names are so hard to pronounce.
Bumping into people in town on 01:39 - May 26 with 1306 viewsBoston

Bumping into people in town on 21:49 - May 25 by Hadders

I'd love to bump into you, Konk. Wouldn't know you from Adam though, unfortunately. I think London is just too damn big - you're right, it always feels like this massive coincidence if you bump into anyone in town. I love our city, yet have long thought cities of around a million are the ideal size - big enough to have a vibe, with plenty to do and see, but less alienating, with more of a sense of community. I have stayed with a Croatian friend in Zagreb a few times and he bumps into people almost every single time he goes into town.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 22:36]

I've always associated Konk with creepy crawly's.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Bumping into people in town on 08:30 - May 26 with 1258 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Bumping into people in town on 22:06 - May 25 by Roller

I know the one you mean but have only been there once Roller
Is it still called that or something else now?

I once saw someone I knew when I was on a bus in Bondi Beach. I had to knock on the window to get his attention. And then I had an embarrassing moment when we drew up alongside him and I didn't really like him enough to get of the bus to chat.
[Post edited 26 May 2017 8:33]
Bumping into people in town on 08:38 - May 26 with 1248 viewsRangersDave

Once literally bumped into an aquaintence in Germany while on holiday, and weirdly have met 3 people I know on 3 separate plane flights. All 3 flights to Hong Kong too!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Bumping into people in town on 09:14 - May 26 with 1224 viewsDixie_CT

When I was working at the club I went to visit the Derby Community scheme and was talking to their manager. He told me that the day after the playoff final they flew to Nakuru in Kenya as part of a project they do out there.

They got to the school where they deliver from and a local man working in the fields stopped what he was doing, walked over to the Derby contingent and shook the mangers hand saying "Unlucky"

He was a bit bemused until the Kenyan moved his top shirt aside reveal to a QPR badge!

He said the worst thing about it was Nakuru is quite remote and it was such a unlikely coincidence.
Bumping into people in town on 09:42 - May 26 with 1206 viewsingeminate

About 12 years ago I broke up with my girlfriend in the morning. In the afternoon I went to Oxford Street to buy a couple of suits on a whim.

I was waiting outside a coffee shop after ordering but before picking up when my then ex-girl friend tapped on the window and was sat directly behind the glass.

Neither of us had said what we doing that day and I probably go shopping for clothes twice a year. Anyway we ended up getting really drunk I proposed, she accepted, threw up when we got home, married six months later and divorced a year or two afterwards,

Never trusted fate since !!

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024