Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cancelling virgin media advice 08:54 - May 26 with 3019 viewsHayesender

Trying to cancel my virgin media as the price just keeps going up and up. They're saying I can't cancel until November.

Should I not be able to cancel without warning as they keep changing the terms and conditions by upping the monthly bill?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Cancelling virgin media advice on 09:04 - May 26 with 2998 viewstonyQPR

If they put the price up they've effectively changed your contract,so your rights allow you to give 30 days notice from the price increase date,hope this helps.
Cancelling virgin media advice on 09:05 - May 26 with 2987 viewsaston_hoop

I'd be careful with those extra charges from Virgin Media....

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Cancelling virgin media advice on 09:19 - May 26 with 2951 viewsToast_R

Depends if you're under contract with them until then?
Cancelling virgin media advice on 10:13 - May 26 with 2893 viewsHayesender

After spending over an hour on the phone being passed from pillar to post, I've managed to get my bill reduced, AND a better package

Cancelling virgin media advice on 10:25 - May 26 with 2871 viewsToast_R

I did exactly the same with Sky two weekends ago after my 50% discount ended after a year. Played the usual boring game.

Me"Want to cancel, too expensive"
Indian fella "Can give you a discount on Sports package for a monthly saving of £8"
"You had a very good discount sir, but sadly Sky are no longer offering that, do you want to drop Movies from your package, that will save you £10 per month"
Indian Fella "Ok sir I'll put you through to my colleague in cancellations"
Scottish Fella "You want to cancel your subscription, have you been told about the Sports discount we can offer our existing customers"
Me "Yes but I want to cancel it's too expensive"
Scottish fella "You had a very good discount last year but unfortunately Sky are no longer offering that"
Me "Want to cancel, too expensive"
Scottish Fella "Let me speak to my manager" (30 second wait) "Hello sir, my manager has told me I can give a discretionary 40% discount for 18 months, are you interested in this"
Me "Yeah go ahead".

Means I pay an extra £8 per month, I can live with that.
[Post edited 26 May 2017 10:26]
Cancelling virgin media advice on 10:51 - May 26 with 2822 viewsHayesender

Cancelling virgin media advice on 10:25 - May 26 by Toast_R

I did exactly the same with Sky two weekends ago after my 50% discount ended after a year. Played the usual boring game.

Indian fella "Can give you a discount on Sports package for a monthly saving of £8"
"You had a very good discount sir, but sadly Sky are no longer offering that, do you want to drop Movies from your package, that will save you £10 per month"
Scottish Fella "You want to cancel your subscription, have you been told about the Sports discount we can offer our existing customers"
Scottish fella "You had a very good discount last year but unfortunately Sky are no longer offering that"
Scottish Fella "Let me speak to my manager" (30 second wait) "Hello sir, my manager has told me I can give a discretionary 40% discount for 18 months, are you interested in this"
Me "Yeah go ahead".

Substitute Scottish fella for feisty northern lass, that's pretty much the same conversation I had

Cancelling virgin media advice on 10:57 - May 26 with 2807 viewsLunarJetman

Without seeing the contract you signed, its difficult to say but many companies bury things like this in the small print. EE for example have a yearly adjustment in line with the Retail Price Index and there's nothing you can do about it once you've signed up.

Also, if you're trying to leave before your contract has run out they'll likely threaten cancellation charges so it may seem like they're trying to charge you more.
Cancelling virgin media advice on 11:48 - May 26 with 2763 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Cancelling virgin media advice on 09:04 - May 26 by tonyQPR

If they put the price up they've effectively changed your contract,so your rights allow you to give 30 days notice from the price increase date,hope this helps.

Not so fast Dominic Littlewood, I think you'll find Lunar (just above) has correctly stated the actual position in law.

Companies often retain a spectacular array of exclusion and escalation clauses and so it's always worth asking questions such as; can you give me an example of how you've raised prices on current contracts? If they say they don't know; they're probably being deliberately vague and so just ask them to find out!

However, as others have attested, ain't no harm in ringing up and negotiating. And that includes at the time of entering into contract. If you go to a mobile phone provider like Vodafone, the shop can drop the price in-store on plans by about 10-15%. However, if you call them up, the percentage they can drop is higher. Last year I called Vodafone while in a store and got a plan down by 25%.

Utterly useless where I am now, but it merely goes to show the point: don't ask, don't get and everything is negotiable.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Cancelling virgin media advice on 14:37 - May 26 with 2657 viewsdolcelatte

Cancelling virgin media advice on 10:25 - May 26 by Toast_R

Me "Yeah go ahead".

Always cancel with Sky, completely. Then log back in online and you'll get 50% off deal. If you're prepared to wait until the 30 day notice period is up then you'll get 60% off, 1 month rolling cashback and £50 credit currently. Works on old sky, not sure on the q deals.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024