Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! 16:02 - May 31 with 11639 viewsmikeygunn

LFW is a great place for advice and getting some inside knowledge so hear goes....

In March next year I'm going to run/walk the trans Pennine trail. 215 miles over 10 days, starting in Southport and finishing in Hornsea. I'm doing it for charity, which I'll bother you all with at a later date!

Has anyone done anything similar? Any advice you can give me?

I've started training already building up my mileage over the next few months. Up to 3.5 at the min and going to do a 10k next week.

Greatly appreciate any feedback you can give me!

https://www.justgiving.com/companyteams/Onemoomile
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 13:36]
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 19:29 - May 31 with 8959 viewsMoonshineSteve

Hello Mikey

Good man. I shall start off by making it clear I've never done anything like that, but run long distances including marathons so for what it's worth ...

Pick your footwear with great care and make sure it's worn in but not worn out by the time you start.

Have waterproofs with you. If a van or something is transporting kit from accommodation to accommodation each day have spare footwear so you'll have a dry pair.

Have proper, seamless socks.

Make sure you've tested out energy sources, whether you're going to use gels or something else, and know that what you are going to use agrees with you.

Enough water.

If you're alone, ensure someone knows your route and is waiting to count you in at the end of the day.

Hope that helps for a start.
[Post edited 31 May 2017 19:30]

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 20:35 - May 31 with 8936 viewsmikeygunn

Cheers Steve, I've done a couple of marathons in the past, slowly. Great idea about dry shoes. The missus and little un will be staying with me overnight the majority of the time and I'll use the 'find friends' app so they can make sure I'm not going the wrong way! Also looking at one of them water bag things that hold 2 litres. That combined with a few gels should see me through, hopefully!
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 21:24 - May 31 with 8917 viewsBrightonhoop

Parts of the Penines Way are surprisingly hard going, even just walking. Go and visit, one famous place can't recall its name but it's mad terrain in parts and very resolute. Around Buxton.
Good luck by the way.
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 22:44 - May 31 with 8885 viewsMoonshineSteve

Ah well, you know as much as me then. But good luck.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 16:01 - Jun 1 with 8789 viewsrunningman75

I have only run marathons but think fuel is important. My stomach struggles with gels and I read a fell runners blog and started using Ella's kitchen baby food. Is good for long runs and good fuel.
As you are going up north look into buying a decent running jacket and presume trail shoes. I had a gait analysis to ensure I had the correct footwear.
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 06:40 - Jun 2 with 8744 viewsmikeygunn

Thanks RunningMan! Good tip there about baby/toddler food. I'll give that ago on a training run. I'm a northerner anyway so don't need a jacket from what I read all of the trail is tarmac (it is mostly on the bits I've seen in Hornsea) so may go with normal running shoes.
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 12:07 - Jun 21 with 8634 viewsmikeygunn

In a strange twist of fate, I walk to Hull on the day that we play Hull! Will have to get there nice and early so I can have some refreshing ales.

Although sky will move it now and ruin my plan, the bastards.
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 16:19 - Jun 21 with 8580 viewsTonto

Invest in a dry bag (they are not hat expensive tbh) for your rucksack and make sure you have a spare t-shirt, socks and maybe even underwear in there in just in case you get wet. Nothing worse than carrying on for a long period in wet garments only to find the rain has socked through the ruck sack as well making everything else wet.

Make sure you have the right OS maps, and know how to use them don't forget OS maps also show where the pubs are!). That includes a knowing how to use a compass. Plan your route properly and allow extra time to get to your daily campsite.

Think about how you are going to charge your phone - think about having one of those extra power sources. they are an emergency lifeline. Having said that take a survival blanket, some first aid and a whistle too... don't cost much, are not heavy but on long trips could save you if the weather turns or you get injured - which can happen.

Oh and enjoy it! the British countryside if blooming lovely and under-rated

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Login to get fewer ads

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 17:36 - Jun 21 with 8558 viewsmikeygunn

Cheers Tonto, some good advice there.
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 12:32 - Aug 2 with 8372 viewsmikeygunn

Just a brief update on progress and other news. Training is going well, up to 15k (9.34 Miles) now and feeling pretty good. Doing a mixture of distances and slowly building up. Want to be at half marathon distance by the 28/09 and then have 26 weeks to build up again to full marathon distance. Not far off 200 miles this year but I know I know I need to do a LOT more! 2 hotels booked so far and doing the third one later today.

I've decided to run for 2 charities - Make a Wish foundation, and Children with Cancer UK. Hopefully I can raise lots of money for them when I set up my page post Christmas.

Finally, I run/walk to Hull on the day we play them, pure luck, would love to get QPR to promote what I'm doing somehow but unsure of how I go about this, do you think they would even though I'm not raising money for the community side of things?
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 14:16 - Aug 2 with 8339 viewshovehoop

Not done long distance walking but have cycled a lot including across Scotland coast to coast by trail in 4 days. I've got some tips from that:

1) Clothes - Socks are already mentioned. You'll need good waterproofs too, preferably the breathable type and a base layer, mid layer and top layer you can put on or off when suits. Ensure the base layer is a wicking type of fabric and to this I'd add some Sub base layer pants too. Avoid cotton against the skin because it will get wet and heavy and will make you cold when you stop.
2) Backpack - Get yourself a decent back pack early and start wearing it to get used to the weight. I use an Osprey with a removable bladder.
3) Food - Eat little and often and toy with different foods. When cycling I struggle ingesting processed foods. I settled on peanut butter and jam sandwiches which are easy to digest and always carry some gels and energy bars. I use SIS gels and Cliff energy bars. But try a range and see what suits.
4) Hydration - Toy with the amount of water you want to carry. In Scotland, I tried carrying 2L at any time but by the time I allowed for a spare tyre, inner tubes, tools, clothing, food etc. the bag was too heavy. So, I settled on 1.5L and topped up each day. Again, drink little and often. If you feel thirsty then in theory you're already dehydrated. You can also consider if you want to use electrolytes in your water too. Again, I use SIS. Though you need to experiment with food and drink additives beforehand and find out what you can stomach and like.
5) Train often and on mixed terrain. There's little point sticking to roads if you'll be walking on rough trails. And try steep inclines too for leg strength. Somewhere like the South Downs Way could be a great training ground. And it's necessary to get out and practice regardless of the weather.
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 14:32 - Aug 2 with 8330 viewsJeff

Mikey,

if you're coming to Loftus Road on Saturday, Mrs Jeff is a very experienced ultra-marathon runner, and quite frankly i'm bored of listening to her, so you're welcome to chat to her!

We'll be in the Crown and Sceptre all day, sitting with Clive who will have no doubt gone big too early and and looking worse for wear...

Can we not knock it?

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 15:30 - Aug 2 with 8309 viewsNorthernr

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 14:32 - Aug 2 by Jeff

Mikey,

if you're coming to Loftus Road on Saturday, Mrs Jeff is a very experienced ultra-marathon runner, and quite frankly i'm bored of listening to her, so you're welcome to chat to her!

We'll be in the Crown and Sceptre all day, sitting with Clive who will have no doubt gone big too early and and looking worse for wear...

Disgusting. You'll be hearing from LFW official counsel.
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 18:14 - Mar 7 with 7937 viewsmikeygunn

So....the starting line is fast approaching, on Good Friday i start the 215 mile run from Southport to Hornsea. With any luck it will take me 10 days to complete. I am doing this on my own and am 100% self funded, although my mum did give me a few quid for some evening pints along the way!

By luck (good or bad) I am in Hull on the day we play them so i'll be making sure I get to the game (via a shower).

I am of course doing this for charity, 2 in fact and would be grateful for any donation, big or small or just some encouragment! I am on twitter as well and i will be documenting as best I can on there: @mikeymoo80 Charity page below:

Cheers!

Not sure if the hyperlink will work as i'm rubbish at that.
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 18:57 - Mar 7 with 7904 viewsBoston

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 18:14 - Mar 7 by mikeygunn

So....the starting line is fast approaching, on Good Friday i start the 215 mile run from Southport to Hornsea. With any luck it will take me 10 days to complete. I am doing this on my own and am 100% self funded, although my mum did give me a few quid for some evening pints along the way!

By luck (good or bad) I am in Hull on the day we play them so i'll be making sure I get to the game (via a shower).

I am of course doing this for charity, 2 in fact and would be grateful for any donation, big or small or just some encouragment! I am on twitter as well and i will be documenting as best I can on there: @mikeymoo80 Charity page below:

Cheers!

Not sure if the hyperlink will work as i'm rubbish at that.

Amphetamines Mickey, amphetamines.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 21:58 - Mar 7 with 7862 viewsdolcelatte

In 4 weeks time I will cycling the Paris Roubaix supportive,108 miles including 30 oncobbles then jumping straight in the car to get to Paris to run the Paris Marathon the following morning.

Wish we luck, I shall need it....

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 22:15 - Mar 7 with 7846 viewsPunteR

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 21:58 - Mar 7 by dolcelatte

In 4 weeks time I will cycling the Paris Roubaix supportive,108 miles including 30 oncobbles then jumping straight in the car to get to Paris to run the Paris Marathon the following morning.

Wish we luck, I shall need it....

good luck you nutter. :)

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 21:07 - Mar 8 with 7762 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Injuries having finally caught up with me, my marathon running days are well behind me. I then moved to cycling but after a mate had a near fatal crash, I got spooked and stopped. So now it’s hiking for me, and I’ve done Hadrian’s Wall - we’ll most of it, as I attempted it a few months after running the Boston marathon when a hamstring hadn’t fully healed.

All the previous advice is solid. There are however, three pieces of advice I’d give:

1, Weather - you just don’t know what you’re going to get! The day before i attempted HW, I was buying factor 30 sunblock. Then as I departed Wallsend in une, it pissed down for the next three days before injury took its toll. So all you kit needs to be light and which can be easily washed and dried.

2. PACE (Prevents A Calamatous Ending) - you can train all you like, but it’s vital you get your pacing right from the first step. That includes what plans you have for run/walk, rest breaks, building in for down times and up times. Crucial for such a long distance over 10 days. I’d also flag up the need to taper your training down three weeks before the off.

3. Mind Games - Much of the ‘wall’ is In the mind as it is the legs! Going long distances the brain gets tired and negative thoughts creep in. To combat this, I’d do three things: visualisation - thinking yourself at a further point of completion; mini-targeting - when the going gets tough, picking targets a few hundred meters away and mentally rewarding yourself as you go by each target and brain games - the more you can occupy the brain with thinking you’re in control of, you reduce mental fatigue setting in. So have an array of lists to compile!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 22:31 - Mar 9 with 7672 viewsRangersDave

Hi mate,
Are you,doing this by yourself?

If so, can I suggest a phone in time or contacting stops en route before hand with an arrival time + or - an hour or so, giving your route too, just in case? Best to think of these things and plan around them I think.

Cheers
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 10:19 - Mar 10 with 7628 viewsRangersDave

Actually, thinking about it, can you PM me please.
Cheers
Dave

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 13:38 - Mar 23 with 7504 viewsmikeygunn

Just to say that this time next week I'll have started my run from Southport to Liverpool. Would be ace if anyone could sponsor me!

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 12:12 - Mar 29 with 7342 viewsmikeygunn

Just giving this a quick 'bump' as I'm starting this in the morning. Weather forecast looks testing to say the least, especially on Monday when I'm heading over the Pennines! Oh well, it just adds to the challenge. Anyone who sponsors me 50p or more goes into a raffle to win a sock when I've finished.

@mikeymoo80
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 07:51 - Mar 31 with 7280 viewsmikeygunn

Day 1 done, Southport to Liverpool, massive thanks to RangersDave for both the sponsorship and the company for the last few miles. What a lovely chap he is, lots of interesting chats along the route. Not feeling too bad this morning, going for some food now and setting off at about 10.30. Surpassed 1k now which is amazing and very touching.
Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 08:16 - Mar 31 with 7253 viewsRangersDave

A great few hours with mikeygunn yesterday walking across scousetown. Managed to take a few pics of him en route holding a rangers flag which looked great, and I’m no doubt sure he will post sooner or later.

This guy is like a powerhouse, and I have no doubt he will reach Hull well in time for the match.

Please support him if you can, if your local to his route, why not pop out and see him? Also consider supporting him financially with a donation. It’s for a great cause.

Good luck mate, I have every faith in you, and stay warm on the Longdendale stretch up woodhead.

Cheers
Dave

Trans Pennine Trail/Endurance events - Non QPR! on 19:55 - Mar 31 with 7193 viewsmikeygunn

Day 2 - hard going but I’ve done it. Some breathtaking views of the Mersey being the highlight. Finished just past Warrington, tomorrow takes me from there through Stockport and I finish in Denton which is part of Manchester. 26.3 miles.
Body still feels just about ok and I’m heading out for a couple of pints now to watch the boxing.
8 days to go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024