Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Theresa May 21:20 - Jun 10 with 23168 viewseasthertsr

Has there ever been a poorer election campaign? I'm trying to think of a more incompetent, awful, pitiful effort. A year of saying that you won't call an early election. Then you do after a budget u turn. Then you do another u turn in the middle of the campaign. All the while you refuse to take part in the televised debate. I'm trying to think of a reason why this talentless woman should be prime minister but I've run out of any excuse!
Theresa May on 18:52 - Jun 13 with 2865 viewsstevec

Theresa May on 14:36 - Jun 13 by Northernr

Well yeh there was a "errrrr, how we going to pay for all this?" conference on the train back from Norwich and with the site publishers subsequently as we anticipated, QPR-wise, a seriously quiet summer. Needn't have worried, Maybot may have fcked her career and party but she's kept LFW alive for a 12th season.

Good stuff. There's bugger all on the football front so testimony to this site that it powers on right through the summer.
Theresa May on 18:57 - Jun 13 with 2851 viewsjohncharles

Theresa May on 18:40 - Jun 13 by ElHoop

The football analogy is a bit unrealistic. It's more like Man Utd losing 3-0 to Altrincham but the crowd then has the last word as to who has won the game and the crowd say it was 1-0 to Man U so it's in the records as 1-0 to Man Utd. There are two dimensions in politics whereas football is only one dimensionaL. Do you blame Altrincham for not winning 5-0 or do you blame the crowd for saying that Man U won?

Man U and others only lose because they played badly. Never any credit to the opposition.

Strong and stable my arse.

Theresa May on 19:12 - Jun 13 with 2828 views2Thomas2Bowles

Theresa May on 18:57 - Jun 13 by johncharles

Man U and others only lose because they played badly. Never any credit to the opposition.

Well the ball may have gone in but it may hit the back stanchion, come back out and no goal given and a replay

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Theresa May on 19:22 - Jun 13 with 2817 viewsDannytheR

If we're really going for it with the tortuous football metaphors, worth saying that on reflection most supporters of Altrincham I know (me included) are quite happy to let Man Utd win this one, as the cup is going to blow up in the trophy cabinet.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 19:22]
Theresa May on 19:24 - Jun 13 with 2806 viewsjohncharles

Theresa May on 19:22 - Jun 13 by DannytheR

If we're really going for it with the tortuous football metaphors, worth saying that on reflection most supporters of Altrincham I know (me included) are quite happy to let Man Utd win this one, as the cup is going to blow up in the trophy cabinet.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 19:22]

Not the supporters though because they live in London.

Strong and stable my arse.

Theresa May on 20:00 - Jun 13 with 2781 viewsNorthernr

Theresa May on 18:40 - Jun 13 by ElHoop

The football analogy is a bit unrealistic. It's more like Man Utd losing 3-0 to Altrincham but the crowd then has the last word as to who has won the game and the crowd say it was 1-0 to Man U so it's in the records as 1-0 to Man Utd. There are two dimensions in politics whereas football is only one dimensionaL. Do you blame Altrincham for not winning 5-0 or do you blame the crowd for saying that Man U won?

None of that works even a little bit.
Theresa May on 20:06 - Jun 13 with 2775 viewsElHoop

Theresa May on 20:00 - Jun 13 by Northernr

None of that works even a little bit.

Oh well, it looks like Corbyn and I are both back to the drawing board then.

Such is life!
Theresa May on 13:30 - Jun 15 with 2647 viewsQPR_John

Theresa May on 15:31 - Jun 13 by easthertsr

Nobody is saying that 42% is more than 40%,, what we are saying is that everyone was saying the vote share would be more like 45%-25% which was the case a couple of months ago. During the campaign Corbyn connected with the electorate in a way nobody thought was possible. It leaves Labour reinvigorated and poised perfectly placed for the next election, whenever that is. Also the expected boundary changes which were expected after a Tory victory which would have benefited them hugely are now dead in the water.

The current boundaries favour Labour whether the changes move towards favouring the Tories I don't know.
Login to get fewer ads

Theresa May on 13:53 - Jun 15 with 2593 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hugely enjoyable thread. Have just caught up with the last three days in twenty minutes and I'm having quite a chuckle.

I'm with Clive on this - in fact I posted as much the morning after the election: a loss is a loss.

This reminds me of my mate, who's a rugby head, and his reaction to Ireland beating England by twelve sore bottoms to one, but England still winning the Championship. As they filed out of the stadium, the tannoy blared 'We Are The Champions' and the Irish joined in with gusto. "Ya?" said my mate, "then why are the English on the pitch collecting medals".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Theresa May on 14:17 - Jun 15 with 2539 viewscolinallcars

Theresa May on 13:30 - Jun 15 by QPR_John

The current boundaries favour Labour whether the changes move towards favouring the Tories I don't know.

At the time it was thought the changes would have given the Tories about 10 seats. The commission has been stood down for the time being but the proposals are on ice.
Theresa May on 15:32 - Jun 15 with 2459 viewshopphoops

Theresa May on 14:36 - Jun 13 by Northernr

Well yeh there was a "errrrr, how we going to pay for all this?" conference on the train back from Norwich and with the site publishers subsequently as we anticipated, QPR-wise, a seriously quiet summer. Needn't have worried, Maybot may have fcked her career and party but she's kept LFW alive for a 12th season.

"May winged it for Nando's"

Theresa May agreed to call a snap election in exchange for 12 spicy wings and a large Pepsi, it has been revealed.

Dark web Czar and Maybot handler Clive Whittingham called in favours to ensure traffic remained high across his media empire, according to informed sauces. Following the ensuing election fiasco, Whittingham has continued to prop up his puppet in Downing Street, describing her narrow victory as "not a defeat".

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Theresa May on 12:21 - Jun 17 with 2306 viewsTacticalR

I don't know if anyone saw the long article in yesterday's Standard about the fall out from the election (mostly about Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill), but it was pretty damning:

'Shortly before the general election was called, Sir Lynton Crosby sat down to write a highly confidential memo for Theresa May’s inner circle. It boiled down to a simple piece of advice: "Don’t do it."

"Lynton pleaded, ‘Do not do this, do not call the election!’" said a senior figure involved in the Tory campaign. "He thought international politics were too unsettled, the risks were too great."'
--
'One former MP said he made an emergency appeal to campaign HQ for more resources after studying canvass returns but was told to stop worrying. He lost his seat, along with 24 other backbenchers and eight ministers.

Strikingly, some MPs in marginals were told to campaign in neighbouring Labour-held seats, so confident was the Tory party of the surge. International development minister James Wharton obligingly helped out at a Labour-held seat – and ended up losing his marginal of Stockton South by 888 votes.'
--
Hill, it is alleged, was purging the campaign of May’s rivals. "Fi would see the names of Cabinet ministers on the Grid [the planning board of regional outings] and she would take them off," said a campaign official. "Sometimes we would put Philip Hammond on the Grid just to see what we could get away with, but she always removed him."

So hostile were May’s circle towards the Chancellor, insiders say he was more than once referred to as a c***. May did not use such language herself, but she did not want him deployed.
--

May's aides go to war over election disaster
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/revealed-how-theresa-mays-two-aides-seiz

Air hostess clique

Theresa May on 12:50 - Jun 17 with 2264 views1BobbyHazell

Theresa May on 12:21 - Jun 17 by TacticalR

I don't know if anyone saw the long article in yesterday's Standard about the fall out from the election (mostly about Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill), but it was pretty damning:

'Shortly before the general election was called, Sir Lynton Crosby sat down to write a highly confidential memo for Theresa May’s inner circle. It boiled down to a simple piece of advice: "Don’t do it."

"Lynton pleaded, ‘Do not do this, do not call the election!’" said a senior figure involved in the Tory campaign. "He thought international politics were too unsettled, the risks were too great."'
--
'One former MP said he made an emergency appeal to campaign HQ for more resources after studying canvass returns but was told to stop worrying. He lost his seat, along with 24 other backbenchers and eight ministers.

Strikingly, some MPs in marginals were told to campaign in neighbouring Labour-held seats, so confident was the Tory party of the surge. International development minister James Wharton obligingly helped out at a Labour-held seat – and ended up losing his marginal of Stockton South by 888 votes.'
--
Hill, it is alleged, was purging the campaign of May’s rivals. "Fi would see the names of Cabinet ministers on the Grid [the planning board of regional outings] and she would take them off," said a campaign official. "Sometimes we would put Philip Hammond on the Grid just to see what we could get away with, but she always removed him."

So hostile were May’s circle towards the Chancellor, insiders say he was more than once referred to as a c***. May did not use such language herself, but she did not want him deployed.
--

May's aides go to war over election disaster
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/revealed-how-theresa-mays-two-aides-seiz

Tactical, I'm not quite sure how having the political beliefs that you allude to tally up with taking a piece like this from The Evening Osborne at face value.
Theresa May on 13:00 - Jun 17 with 2245 viewsTacticalR

Theresa May on 12:50 - Jun 17 by 1BobbyHazell

Tactical, I'm not quite sure how having the political beliefs that you allude to tally up with taking a piece like this from The Evening Osborne at face value.

I did wonder if there was some 'special pleading' given the source, and it does let Crosby off the hook. Nonetheless, you can always learn something from Tory infighting. For example in this article the Tory belief that UKIP and Brexit were a gateway drug for voters to switch to the Tories (I can see why they thought that), and the belief of the May team in May as some sort of Macron-style Presidential figure.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2017 14:03]

Air hostess clique

Theresa May on 13:08 - Jun 17 with 2231 views1BobbyHazell

Theresa May on 13:00 - Jun 17 by TacticalR

I did wonder if there was some 'special pleading' given the source, and it does let Crosby off the hook. Nonetheless, you can always learn something from Tory infighting. For example in this article the Tory belief that UKIP and Brexit were a gateway drug for voters to switch to the Tories (I can see why they thought that), and the belief of the May team in May as some sort of Macron-style Presidential figure.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2017 14:03]

Maybe, although I'm assuming Crosby and Osborne are extremely close and there is an element of trying to present a small number of scapegoats as the reasons the country started to reject Tory policy.

"It was all their fault, now we can get back to being ace..."
Theresa May on 13:22 - Jun 17 with 2196 viewsbosh67

The problem with May is that she learns 2-3 lines and then repeats them like a parrot, whatever she is asked. She has no ability to roll with a conversation or engage outside that framework. I think she has been made a target after the horror of the fire this week, but god help us with Brexit. I fear she is going to say 'best deal for the UK' until smoke and sparks start coming out her ears and the top of her head.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Theresa May on 13:53 - Jun 17 with 2172 viewsTacticalR

This week one of the four ministers in charge of the Brexit ministry was sacked, and another one (George Bridges) resigned:

'The UK's Brexit department has seen two of its four ministers depart this week, just days before negotiations with the EU are due to start, in a sign of mounting tensions between Downing Street and the ministry’s leadership.'
--
George Bridges, who was in charge of pushing Brexit legislation through parliament, quit on Tuesday after falling out with Theresa May, the prime minister.

According to people close to Lord Bridges, an EU advocate, he had become frustrated with the lack of consultation between Downing Street and the Department for Exiting the EU (Dexeu).

"Bridges is said to have quit on policy grounds, convinced Brexit couldn’t work," said one Whitehall figure. "There is some disarray."
--
'Before the latest departures, Dexeu had already been hit by the exit of James Chapman, special adviser to David Davis, the Brexit secretary, who left Whitehall for the private sector. Mr Davis lost another key ally, his parliamentary private secretary Stewart Jackson, who lost his seat in the election.

Elsewhere, Lucy Neville-Rolfe, who was put in charge of overseeing Brexit’s impact on financial services in March, also abruptly departed on Tuesday.'

Ministers leave UK Brexit department in sign of tension with May, FT (13 June 2017)
https://www.ft.com/content/273fb412-503f-11e7-a1f2-db19572361bb

Air hostess clique

Theresa May on 14:10 - Jun 17 with 2133 views2Thomas2Bowles

I don't think I've ever seen such an inept PM as May

I also see the fire disaster damaging Boris ever being PM (Brexit and the cuts to fire services) just waiting for him to say get stuffed again.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2017 14:20]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Theresa May on 17:29 - Jun 17 with 2030 viewscolinallcars

Theresa May on 14:10 - Jun 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I don't think I've ever seen such an inept PM as May

I also see the fire disaster damaging Boris ever being PM (Brexit and the cuts to fire services) just waiting for him to say get stuffed again.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2017 14:20]

She's so hopeless I'm beginning to feel sorry for her. I don't think she's the evil witch some would consider her to be, but the worrying thing is that there doesn't seem to be anyone in the Conservative ranks to replace her. By the same token there doesn't seem to be a lot of ability on the Labour side either.. God help us. Turn the clock back x amount of years and you'd find a plethora of able candidates on both sides.
It's as if modern life has become "deskilled".
Theresa May on 18:02 - Jun 17 with 1999 viewsMedwayR

In my lifetime I think Gordon Brown has been the worst (Blair did some good to begin with) but Theresa May is now getting very close, in defence of both they inherited a difficult situation but neither has much character although May is making Brown look like Mr Personality!!

I can't help but wonder where we'd be if the unions had backed David Miliband instead of Ed. Politics has been shocked by the latest election results, Brexit and the Tory majority under Cameron, but perhaps Ed beating David was the surprise result that has had the biggest impact. I thought he came across as a competent and likable individual and would have done well for Labour and the UK presuming he'd have won an election, Ed on the other hand never gave the same impression and the unions bright idea of backing Ed in order to have more influence wasn't thought through, a smaller slice of something is better than a bigger slice of nothing. Too late now mind...

Poll: Who’s better?

Theresa May on 18:42 - Jun 17 with 1958 viewscolinallcars

Theresa May on 18:02 - Jun 17 by MedwayR

In my lifetime I think Gordon Brown has been the worst (Blair did some good to begin with) but Theresa May is now getting very close, in defence of both they inherited a difficult situation but neither has much character although May is making Brown look like Mr Personality!!

I can't help but wonder where we'd be if the unions had backed David Miliband instead of Ed. Politics has been shocked by the latest election results, Brexit and the Tory majority under Cameron, but perhaps Ed beating David was the surprise result that has had the biggest impact. I thought he came across as a competent and likable individual and would have done well for Labour and the UK presuming he'd have won an election, Ed on the other hand never gave the same impression and the unions bright idea of backing Ed in order to have more influence wasn't thought through, a smaller slice of something is better than a bigger slice of nothing. Too late now mind...

I agree, although I don't think Brown was quite as bad as some say. The real blow for Labour was the untimely death of John Smith.
Theresa May on 20:56 - Jun 17 with 1871 viewsPhildo

Theresa May on 13:53 - Jun 17 by TacticalR

This week one of the four ministers in charge of the Brexit ministry was sacked, and another one (George Bridges) resigned:

'The UK's Brexit department has seen two of its four ministers depart this week, just days before negotiations with the EU are due to start, in a sign of mounting tensions between Downing Street and the ministry’s leadership.'
--
George Bridges, who was in charge of pushing Brexit legislation through parliament, quit on Tuesday after falling out with Theresa May, the prime minister.

According to people close to Lord Bridges, an EU advocate, he had become frustrated with the lack of consultation between Downing Street and the Department for Exiting the EU (Dexeu).

"Bridges is said to have quit on policy grounds, convinced Brexit couldn’t work," said one Whitehall figure. "There is some disarray."
--
'Before the latest departures, Dexeu had already been hit by the exit of James Chapman, special adviser to David Davis, the Brexit secretary, who left Whitehall for the private sector. Mr Davis lost another key ally, his parliamentary private secretary Stewart Jackson, who lost his seat in the election.

Elsewhere, Lucy Neville-Rolfe, who was put in charge of overseeing Brexit’s impact on financial services in March, also abruptly departed on Tuesday.'

Ministers leave UK Brexit department in sign of tension with May, FT (13 June 2017)
https://www.ft.com/content/273fb412-503f-11e7-a1f2-db19572361bb

A mate sat next to Bridges at a social event recently. He asked him what the likely outcome of Brexit in 10 years from forecasts he had seen was. A reduction of between 4 and 10% of gdp from today's size says Bridges.Are there any forecasts with good outcomes says my mate -no says Bridges who has been no 2 in the Brexit department since May got in.

Bridges quietly resigned on Monday- very little coverage.
Theresa May on 21:52 - Jun 17 with 1804 viewsBucksRanger

Is this George Bridges yet another politician who can't do basic maths?

Yearly estimated GDP = USD $2.729 trillion according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_Kingdom

10% percent reduction over 10 years (Bridges worst case scenario) $272.9 billion.

1% per year (approx - can't be bothered with compounding) $27.29 billion

Exchange rate $1.28 = £21.3 billion.

UK yearly memberhip fee to EU club = £17.8 billion and with rebate £12.9 billion according to Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/how-much-do-we-spend-on-the-eu-and-what-else-c

Total worst case loss to UK £21.3 - £12. 9 billion = £8.4 billion

£8.4 billion / 66 million UK population = £127 per person or around £10 a month. And that's his worst case scenario.

His 4% reduction over 10 year scenario might be interesting but I haven't got the willpower to work that out right now but looks as though it might be positive for the UK overall.

Of course I'm just a simple pensioner and might have got my figures wrong so please feel free to double check them.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2017 21:56]
Theresa May on 22:13 - Jun 17 with 1770 viewsBucksRanger

4% percent reduction over 10 years (Bridges best case scenario) $261.9 billion.

0.4% per year (approx - can't be bothered with compounding) $11 billion

Exchange rate $1.28 = £8.6 billion.

UK yearly memberhip fee to EU club = £17.8 billion and with rebate £12.9 billion according to Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/how-much-do-we-spend-on-the-eu-and-what-else-c

Total best case is a profit to the UK £12.9 - £8.6 = £4.3 billion PROFIT

£4.3 billion / 66 million UK population = £65 per person or around £5.50 a month.

So George Bridges has resigned even though the figures he has at his disposal indicate a reasonable chance of the UK being better off out of the EU than remaining in it. Politicians eh? What are they like? I sometimes think they shouldn't be let anywhere near the UK's money supply unless they have a degree in economics and / or maths.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2017 22:24]
Theresa May on 22:38 - Jun 17 with 1726 viewseasthertsr

For all norths rather desperate plea that she won the election, here is a leader who declined to go into the immediate vicinity of the tower to meet the residents, who prevaricated for the best part of two days before any action was taken and then appeared on Newsnight and was caught like a rabbit in the headlights. Just plain pathetic, this woman should be out of the way as soon as possible.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024