Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latimer Road 02:31 - Jun 14 with 95621 viewsstowmarketrange

A big fire in a tower block in Latimer Road just been reported on 5live.Eyewitness says there are people trapped on the upper floors.
I hope everyone gets out safely.
Latimer Road on 18:51 - Jun 19 with 2895 viewsBoston

Latimer Road on 18:37 - Jun 19 by MedwayR

The topic is irrelevant really, it's a question of whether there's a conflict of interest. If I understand where you're coming from correctly, you're saying that if there was a vote for example on improving social housing and one/some of the MP's were living in such, should they participate then I think I would say no because they would stand to benefit (although to a lesser extent as they wouldn't be the property owner) and would therefore be biased. MP's need to be able to look at topics in a considered manner.

I think it's vital that any MP's excluded from voting due to a conflict of interest would be able to express their opinion and join in with debate prior to a vote as it can give a point of view or information etc that others may not have been aware of or able to consider, but they shouldn't be able to vote in my opinion.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 18:39]

Yes, the topic is irrelevant, my counter merely to broaden the to the real question, when should they not vote? Thanks for the reply, I'd generally agree.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Latimer Road on 19:04 - Jun 19 with 2868 viewsMedwayR

Latimer Road on 18:51 - Jun 19 by Boston

Yes, the topic is irrelevant, my counter merely to broaden the to the real question, when should they not vote? Thanks for the reply, I'd generally agree.

In some instances defining conflict of interest could be difficult, life is full of grey areas after all, but in the case of the landlord MP's it's quite clear in my opinion. Maybe this is an area that should be looked at, I still haven't found anything stating UK Government position on this and whether there are rules/regulations they have to follow in their work.

Poll: Who’s better?

Latimer Road on 19:07 - Jun 19 with 2862 views2Thomas2Bowles

Just on the news about a family of 4 been put in a hotel told to go pick up the (Gov) £500 cash then told the cash had run out, no money has been paid in to their bank account.

K&C sent £20 in a cab
K&C really want to hold on to paying out as little as possible it seems.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Latimer Road on 19:17 - Jun 19 with 2846 viewsBromleyHoop

Latimer Road on 21:07 - Jun 18 by DannytheR

I'm sorry, this isn't accurate at all. I worked on various projects with people on the Heygate and the Aylesbury estates, alongside residents who lived there for years, and it's totally unfair to say they were "appalling, dirty and riddled with crime." There were problems, of course, but as with a lot of London council estates, the idea of them as crime-ridden hellholes was a slur on the residents, predominantly put about by property developers looking to justify their demolition so they could take the land. Which they did.

"It was strongly felt this was because the flats were very heavily subletted by tenants."

I'm sorry, by who? People wanted to stay on the Heygate and Aylesbury because these flats were their homes, and because they were afraid that once they were gone, they would only be offered further accommodation outside the borough, even outside London. Again, this is exactly what happened.

What happened with the Heygate and the Aylesbury, where social housing for working class people was cleared to make room for developments of luxury flats, was scandalous. It had nothing to do with making life better for ordinary Londoners, and everything to do with developers and the council turning a coin.

And yes, it was a Labour council, sadly enough.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 21:16]

I disagree about the first part of your post. The Heygate estate was a shitole and had serious crime and social problems.

I absolutely agree about the latter part of your post. The working class are being systematically removed from around the E+C area and the new flats are being sold to many foreign investors which is a disgrace. The proximity of E+C to central London is the root cause of this.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Latimer Road (n/t) on 19:30 - Jun 19 with 2809 viewshubble

Latimer Road (n/t) on 10:38 - Jun 19 by 18StoneOfHoop

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++STOP PRESS important EDIT ON Monday evening 19th June LFW Frequent poster known as 18 Stone left a long post here which he profoundly regrets and it contained a number of inaccuracies and exagerrations. I have been asked to remove it in a polite way by members of a family who must have been through unimaginable suffering in the past 7 days and do not need this sort of thing .
I should of course have shown a smidgeon of common-sense kept my 'gobby' keyboard shut out of respect.
Apologies to all the residents of the family concerned and LFW members please don't be repeating any of the OTT exagerrated nonsense I wrote and you may unfortunately have read here.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.
[Post edited 19 Jun 19:00]
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 19:10]

I liked your post a lot, I thought it was powerful and from the heart.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Latimer Road on 19:38 - Jun 19 with 2789 viewsjohncharles

Latimer Road on 17:53 - Jun 19 by 18StoneOfHoop

AN UNRESERVED APOLOGY.

There was 2 long rambling posts on page 15 of this thread that should not have been written or posted in a public forum. They contained gross inaccuracies and unsubstantial exagerrations.

I had no permission from the family to write such stuff and I profoundly regret my lack of judgement and sensitivity in so doing.

Please LFWers don't go repeating anything you have read by me on page 15 of this thread.

Apologies to the family,Clive Whittingham for bringing this board's good reputation into question,and to LFW readers for stirring things up when all I should have been is schtum.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 19:27]

It's a hell of a situation but the last thing you or any of us should do is keep schtum.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 0:28]

Strong and stable my arse.

Latimer Road on 20:02 - Jun 19 with 2729 viewsBoston

Latimer Road on 19:38 - Jun 19 by johncharles

It's a hell of a situation but the last thing you or any of us should do is keep schtum.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 0:28]

You're an eejit, Johnny. The family of the deceased made the request.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Latimer Road on 21:33 - Jun 19 with 2647 views2Thomas2Bowles

Login to get fewer ads

Latimer Road on 11:13 - Jun 20 with 2409 viewshubble

I don't know if any of you saw this, or were even involved perhaps, but there was a massive silent procession (many more than shown in the Evening Standard video) along Ladbroke Grove as Justice For Grenfell was officially launched. Several friends of mine were on the march and I've seen some footage of it, incredibly moving. This cannot be allowed to disappear from the public gaze.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/justice-for-grenfell-hundreds-of-protester

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Latimer Road on 12:44 - Jun 20 with 2317 viewssmegma

Latimer Road on 11:13 - Jun 20 by hubble

I don't know if any of you saw this, or were even involved perhaps, but there was a massive silent procession (many more than shown in the Evening Standard video) along Ladbroke Grove as Justice For Grenfell was officially launched. Several friends of mine were on the march and I've seen some footage of it, incredibly moving. This cannot be allowed to disappear from the public gaze.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/justice-for-grenfell-hundreds-of-protester

I recall then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher telling the world ' there won't be a cover up' as she walked amongst the twisted metal and rubble in the Leppings Lane End in April 1989.

I have a sense of deja vu.
Latimer Road on 13:23 - Jun 20 with 2238 views2Thomas2Bowles

Does anyone think anyone will get done

It will just be a list of failings but no one responsible facing any criminal charges.

Aberfan, no one went to prison.
Hillsborough the same.

Latimer Road on 14:19 - Jun 20 with 2176 viewsJamesB1979

Latimer Road on 13:23 - Jun 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Does anyone think anyone will get done

It will just be a list of failings but no one responsible facing any criminal charges.

Aberfan, no one went to prison.
Hillsborough the same.

Yes, I do. The investigation should show how and why the fire started and provide recommendations. From this investigation, the main 2 outcomes should be 1) Show what needs to be done to ensure that all tower blocks throughout country are safe 2) Prosecute anyone of any wrongdoing. Should range from financial to imprisonment.

But we need to wait for the investigation to finish. For now, the two most important things are to house all the families and find out the final number that has lost their lives. It looks as though that figure is 79 but then there are also reports of 150 (on some news and Lilly Allen) and then 400 has been mentioned. I think that there needs to be a thorough investigation into how many did lose their lives and people should explain where these numbers have come from. These are people lives at the end of the day.
Latimer Road on 14:51 - Jun 20 with 2101 viewsdaveB

This is West Londons Hillsbrough and will be covered up, you can be sure of that. The people who approved that cladding should be put in prison, the decision they made to save a few kid has killed a lot of people.

The biggest disgrace for me is the lack of support and help for those affected from councils and the government, it's all been left to the local community to sort out.
Latimer Road on 15:13 - Jun 20 with 2058 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sadiq Khan Is just all mouth and no action only talks to the camera, he should be calling for the people that run K&C to be suspended.

Latimer Road on 15:17 - Jun 20 with 2042 viewsRangersDave

I wonder how many people........from the builders, sub contractors, council officials who signed off on the 'renovations' etc etc will suddenly retire due to "ill health". By the way that's politic speak for trying to dodge the bullet?

All found culpable, should, in my view, be prosecuted to the full length of the law and serve time as an example to other 'corner cutters' in developments around the country.

Feck European rules, we should now go balls out to set out own higher standards in all 3+ storey buildings.

However, i have a feeling that while big money is in play anywhere in the U.K. , there's always the big chance of a 'rednapp' to be involved. (Brown envelope).......... allegedly.
And this will always be to the detriment, and I believe shockingly so, of the poorer person.

Feck the maggots, and I truly think that if someone is found guilty of something shady that has resulted in these poor buggers deaths then they should do lots of time........life probably and mean life.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Latimer Road on 15:21 - Jun 20 with 2034 viewsTacticalR

Latimer Road on 14:51 - Jun 20 by daveB

This is West Londons Hillsbrough and will be covered up, you can be sure of that. The people who approved that cladding should be put in prison, the decision they made to save a few kid has killed a lot of people.

The biggest disgrace for me is the lack of support and help for those affected from councils and the government, it's all been left to the local community to sort out.

On the lack of support, this sounds like New Orleans, when the whole American state was paralysed.

In this case K&C has crumbled and other London authorities have had to take over the administration of the relief effort.

Emergency taskforce takes over Grenfell Tower relief operation as fury at 'chaotic' Kensington Council rages on
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/emergency-taskforce-takes-over-gr

Air hostess clique

Latimer Road on 15:23 - Jun 20 with 2027 viewsNorthernr

Latimer Road on 15:17 - Jun 20 by RangersDave

I wonder how many people........from the builders, sub contractors, council officials who signed off on the 'renovations' etc etc will suddenly retire due to "ill health". By the way that's politic speak for trying to dodge the bullet?

All found culpable, should, in my view, be prosecuted to the full length of the law and serve time as an example to other 'corner cutters' in developments around the country.

Feck European rules, we should now go balls out to set out own higher standards in all 3+ storey buildings.

However, i have a feeling that while big money is in play anywhere in the U.K. , there's always the big chance of a 'rednapp' to be involved. (Brown envelope).......... allegedly.
And this will always be to the detriment, and I believe shockingly so, of the poorer person.

Feck the maggots, and I truly think that if someone is found guilty of something shady that has resulted in these poor buggers deaths then they should do lots of time........life probably and mean life.

While I agree with most of your post I've got to pick this up...

"Feck European rules, we should now go balls out to set out own higher standards in all 3+ storey buildings."

Our rules are actually the problem here, not the EU. This cladding is banned in Germany. It's our attitude to "red tape" and this idea that health and safety regulations are busy body things getting in the way of business and building that's part of the problem. If we'd had a few more stringent rules on materials, sprinklers etc it wouldn't have happened.
Latimer Road on 15:24 - Jun 20 with 2024 viewsTheChef

I've read suggestions that some of the flats in Grenfell had rents of £2000 a month, certainly not cheap.

Anyone know what percentage of flats in the block were privately owned?

From all the reports and resident interview s I've seen it would appear the vast majority of flats there were council owned - can anyone who lives locally confirm?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Latimer Road on 15:29 - Jun 20 with 2011 viewstraininvain

Latimer Road on 15:13 - Jun 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Sadiq Khan Is just all mouth and no action only talks to the camera, he should be calling for the people that run K&C to be suspended.

Yet again someone using this tragedy to push an agenda they had prior to it occurring. Embarrassing.
Latimer Road on 15:31 - Jun 20 with 2008 views2Thomas2Bowles

Lets not forget Chilcot, and what happens .... nothing.
It will be the same this time

Latimer Road on 15:35 - Jun 20 with 1994 views2Thomas2Bowles

traininvain

Yet again someone using this tragedy to push an agenda they had prior to it occurring. Embarrassing.

Oh I'm sure the Government is monitoring this thread
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 15:36]

Latimer Road on 15:36 - Jun 20 with 1982 viewsNorthernr

Latimer Road on 15:35 - Jun 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

traininvain

Oh I'm sure the Government is monitoring this thread
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 15:36]

what on earth are you going on about now?
Latimer Road on 15:37 - Jun 20 with 1976 views2Thomas2Bowles

Latimer Road on 15:36 - Jun 20 by Northernr

what on earth are you going on about now?

You could ask the same of traininvain
[Post edited 20 Jun 2017 15:42]

Latimer Road on 15:45 - Jun 20 with 1961 viewsDannytheR

Latimer Road on 15:24 - Jun 20 by TheChef

I've read suggestions that some of the flats in Grenfell had rents of £2000 a month, certainly not cheap.

Anyone know what percentage of flats in the block were privately owned?

From all the reports and resident interview s I've seen it would appear the vast majority of flats there were council owned - can anyone who lives locally confirm?

As with everything to do with K&C it's difficult to find out for certain, but there were a few that had been bought, done up and put on the rental market. About a year ago, someone I know said they were offered a 2 bed flat on one of the top floors for north of 2 grand a month, which takes some getting your head round.

But it was very much a minority of flats - the vast majority were still K&C.

The prices round the area are very telling. There was a house on Grenfell Road itself on for £1.3m just before the fire, and the places on Bramley Road (where K&C's deputy leader now lives) are even steeper.
Latimer Road on 15:52 - Jun 20 with 1927 viewsTheChef

Latimer Road on 15:45 - Jun 20 by DannytheR

As with everything to do with K&C it's difficult to find out for certain, but there were a few that had been bought, done up and put on the rental market. About a year ago, someone I know said they were offered a 2 bed flat on one of the top floors for north of 2 grand a month, which takes some getting your head round.

But it was very much a minority of flats - the vast majority were still K&C.

The prices round the area are very telling. There was a house on Grenfell Road itself on for £1.3m just before the fire, and the places on Bramley Road (where K&C's deputy leader now lives) are even steeper.

Cheers Danny.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024