Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. 09:45 - Jun 18 with 4524 viewsGloryHunter

Is this what happens in Rugby League?

"World football’s rule-makers are to consider a proposal to reduce each half of a game to 30 minutes in a bid to prevent time-wasting.

The International Football Association Board (Ifab) has outlined a raft of radical proposed changes to the rules of the game in a new strategy document titled Play Fair! Adopting two halves of 30 minutes with the clock stopped when the ball goes out of play is one of dozens of ideas put forward by Ifab in an attempt to make football more attractive."
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 02:56 - Jun 20 with 854 viewsMatch82

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 04:27 - Jun 19 by SydneyRs

Aussie rules football has 20 minute quarters but in reality they go closer to 30 minutes and sometimes over because the clock stops when the ball is out of play. The more goals there are the longer the game goes.

You will find that the ball is actually in play in football for far less than the 45 mins, so this sort of idea is not as ridiculous as it sounds. It would need refining though to get it right.

As Northern mentioned everyone knows at rugby league when the game will end because of the system they use and the clock is displayed at games. At Aussie rules games they don't show the game clock (they do on TV broadcasts) so at the ground fans and to some extent players (trainers/runners would be giving updates during the game) still have that uncertainty of how long is left.

Did a school project once where I timed how long the ball was actually in play for a football match. It was 20 something minutes each half which surprised me at the time. And this was decades ago.

I do like the idea that the game should go on till the ball goes out of play at the end of the half/full time. One of the better rugby Union rules that, makes for an exciting finish and very easy to implement.
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 12:59 - Jun 20 with 800 viewssmegma

In looking up 'other games to go to while in Berlin/Leipzig' I came across a story about Aston Villas preseason. They have been invited to Germany to play in a 4 team tournament but with a difference. Each game will be 45 minutes only. If it's a draw, straight to penalties. All games played one after the other including 3rd/4th place play off with about a 20 minute break in between games.

As Catherine Tate's nan would have it 'what a load of old $hit ! '..

In 45 years of watching the only decent sport on the planet, the only rule change that has improved the game is the back pass rule. Even I was bored that night down in Cold Blow Lane when Dave Seaman seemed to have 80% of the possession.
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:30 - Jun 20 with 784 viewsrrrspricey

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 22:41 - Jun 18 by Northernr

The rugby league clock system would be brilliant if introduced to football, but it's certainly not anything like what's being proposed here.

Basically there's a guy in the stand with the watch, not the referee. The stadium clock and the time keeper's watch are one and the same, so there's no situation like the Cantona goal where the clock says 90 but the game just goes on and on until the referee gets the outcome he's after. There are set rules such as you have 1 minute after the try is scored to kick the conversion, and if you take longer than that the clock stops. If you concede a goal line drop out and throw the ball away (everybody does this, to get their breath back) the clock stops immediately. The referee can also call the time off for injuries, time wasting, fighting, anything really.

Football would benefit so much from this. For instance at the moment football adds 30 seconds for each substitution made (or is supposed to) but often they take far longer than that. If the clock was called off as soon as the board went in the air then you can fcking shake hands and pull your socks down and run to the other side of the pitch as much as you like...

Amother thing RL does which would massively benefit football is treating people in back play while the game continues. In football we either have the referee stopping the play, assessing the player, calling the physio on, prolonged treatment, off to the sideline, straight back on - or referee waves play on and then players get themselves in a fcking tizzy about whether they should kick the ball out or not. If play continued and treatment happened in back play I think you'd suddenly find 80% of the footballers who go down for treatment are actually fine after all.

Mostly though these rules suggested today are ridiculous, and Rugby league is certainly not the place to go if you want examples of best practises in refereeing - it's by far and away the worst refereed sport I watch.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 13:11 - Jun 22 with 718 viewsPinnerPaul

and for those in the sin bin - is their time stopped when main clock is stopped?

And play that takes place after VAR has told referee to have a look at something, but he can't until ball goes out of play?

Juts have the game on FIFA 17 only and be done with it - no annoying humans making mistakes on there.

Another set of law changes for 17/18 already and we're already talking about more changes - not cranking up my enthusiasm for the new season very much!
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 13:39 - Jun 22 with 700 viewsNorthernr

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 13:11 - Jun 22 by PinnerPaul

and for those in the sin bin - is their time stopped when main clock is stopped?

And play that takes place after VAR has told referee to have a look at something, but he can't until ball goes out of play?

Juts have the game on FIFA 17 only and be done with it - no annoying humans making mistakes on there.

Another set of law changes for 17/18 already and we're already talking about more changes - not cranking up my enthusiasm for the new season very much!

On the first point the sin bin clock does indeed stop with the game clock in RL.
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 15:20 - Jun 22 with 668 viewssmegma

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 12:59 - Jun 20 by smegma

In looking up 'other games to go to while in Berlin/Leipzig' I came across a story about Aston Villas preseason. They have been invited to Germany to play in a 4 team tournament but with a difference. Each game will be 45 minutes only. If it's a draw, straight to penalties. All games played one after the other including 3rd/4th place play off with about a 20 minute break in between games.

As Catherine Tate's nan would have it 'what a load of old $hit ! '..

In 45 years of watching the only decent sport on the planet, the only rule change that has improved the game is the back pass rule. Even I was bored that night down in Cold Blow Lane when Dave Seaman seemed to have 80% of the possession.

I just discovered something even worse. For the 2017/18 German Regionalliga Sudwest season, there are only 19 teams. Every weekend one team will have a blank day. So some buffoon has decided to allow the Chinese Olympic team to play the 'odd one out' team every weekend although the result will not be registered in the league table.

YOU COULD'NT MAKE IT UP !!!!!!
[Post edited 22 Jun 2017 15:21]
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 15:37 - Jun 22 with 656 viewscolinallcars

I understand the authorities have come up with a groundbreaking idea - leave the game as it is.
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 15:44 - Jun 22 with 652 viewsPinnerPaul

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 13:39 - Jun 22 by Northernr

On the first point the sin bin clock does indeed stop with the game clock in RL.

I'll have to buy some more watches then!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024