Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. 09:45 - Jun 18 with 4551 viewsGloryHunter

Is this what happens in Rugby League?

"World football’s rule-makers are to consider a proposal to reduce each half of a game to 30 minutes in a bid to prevent time-wasting.

The International Football Association Board (Ifab) has outlined a raft of radical proposed changes to the rules of the game in a new strategy document titled Play Fair! Adopting two halves of 30 minutes with the clock stopped when the ball goes out of play is one of dozens of ideas put forward by Ifab in an attempt to make football more attractive."
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 09:48 - Jun 18 with 3686 viewstoboboly

Laughable "rules". If they go 30 mins a half then I am giving up on football in its entirety.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 09:53 - Jun 18 with 3679 viewsGloryHunter

Apparently Ifab is made up of world football’s governing body, Fifa, and the four British home football associations and is responsible for making the final decision on law changes. I didn't know that.
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 10:06 - Jun 18 with 3662 viewshubble

"in an attempt to make football more attractive" .... to whom??

Isn't it already the world's No. 1 sport FFS?

They just want to fit more ads in and get those American couch potatoes watching.

Horrific idea.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 10:08 - Jun 18 with 3657 viewsdodge_stoke_r

If this happens. I'm out!
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 10:11 - Jun 18 with 3647 viewsRoller

Pointless tinkering which will probably make little difference to the actual playing time. Why not address the real issues that detract from the sport, such as diving and feigning injury?
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 11:02 - Jun 18 with 3573 viewsPommyhoop

Nah to 30 mins each half. I would'nt say no to a big clock stopping while ball goes out and on refs whistle..( That C*ntana of a goal still rankles. )
Glad to see the video ref being used these days in games..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 11:57 - Jun 18 with 3518 viewscolinallcars

Being allowed to dribble the ball in from a corner instead of one kick would be beneficial to us as we 've hardly taken a decent corner for years !
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 12:28 - Jun 18 with 3497 viewsMatch82

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 10:11 - Jun 18 by Roller

Pointless tinkering which will probably make little difference to the actual playing time. Why not address the real issues that detract from the sport, such as diving and feigning injury?

Time wasting is a similarly irritating issue and this is what this was designed to solve. Won't work though.

Cynic in me agrees with the poster that said this is conveniently a way to throw some extra ad breaks in there.
Login to get fewer ads

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 13:06 - Jun 18 with 3472 viewsStanisgod

Just read this. Presumably it goes without saying we will have an instant 33pc price cut in ticket prices ! Load of drivel, just get referees to implement the rules that are there FFS.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 13:18 - Jun 18 with 3449 viewsEsox_Lucius

There are a number of ideas being touted as being considered for implementation; I wonder if the "headline" ones are only in there to divert attention from the ones that they really want to implement and hope fans will consider a few changes they didn't want a good deal over a load of ideas they didn't want?

The grass is always greener.

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 13:54 - Jun 18 with 3411 viewsdavman

Really surprised at the negativity to this idea expressed so far as it is the single most obvious, easy thing to do to remove ambiguity over how long refs add on in my opinion.
So many times, I've seen 4 or 5 minute injury breaks followed by 3 mins added on at the end of the half.

It will add clarity and consistency to time keeping. Of course, 'legitimate' time wasting such as running to the corner flag will continue, but the really annoying things 'keepers do like going to the farthest point in the 6 yd box to take goal kicks and the missed balls when trying to pick up for a restart won't yield any tangible benefit.

Can'T believe that some will 'give up' on football if this happens. Care t9 elaborate why, chaps? Not looking for a rumble (!), I'm simply interested as I can't see any bad in it...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 14:32 - Jun 18 with 3368 viewsrbsranger

taking time keeping out of the ref's hands and having a clock referee that stops the watch whenever the ball goes out with the clock visible for all to see to eliminate "Fergie-time" shenanigans is something that people should support. But as people said above, the obvious next step in America will be official time outs, advert breaks at a corner or a goal and then we will really lose our soul
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 14:37 - Jun 18 with 3360 viewseccles

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 13:54 - Jun 18 by davman

Really surprised at the negativity to this idea expressed so far as it is the single most obvious, easy thing to do to remove ambiguity over how long refs add on in my opinion.
So many times, I've seen 4 or 5 minute injury breaks followed by 3 mins added on at the end of the half.

It will add clarity and consistency to time keeping. Of course, 'legitimate' time wasting such as running to the corner flag will continue, but the really annoying things 'keepers do like going to the farthest point in the 6 yd box to take goal kicks and the missed balls when trying to pick up for a restart won't yield any tangible benefit.

Can'T believe that some will 'give up' on football if this happens. Care t9 elaborate why, chaps? Not looking for a rumble (!), I'm simply interested as I can't see any bad in it...

I'm with you on this one Davman. No harm in testing this out in a couple of junior/lower league games to see if it helps. All teams time waste. Every time there's a 91st minute substitution it's called game management or running down the clock. And it always takes more than 30 seconds for the player coming off to trudge off from the far side of the pitch where he's been told by his manager to go to!
It's us, the fans that are being cheated by this. We pay for 90 minutes of sport but rarely get that, if at all.
It seems to work in rugby union with the ref deciding a time-off/time -on system.
This might not be the answer, but surely its worth having a look at?
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 14:38 - Jun 18 with 3358 viewsMancR

Davman you are spot on. For So much of each 45 min half the ball is dead anyway. This actually means you will get 30 minutes of actual action. The half will still take 45 to 50 minutes to complete anyway😀
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 14:47 - Jun 18 with 3352 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If we had this rule in 96 I wouldn't be stabbing my Cantona effigy every morning.
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 16:04 - Jun 18 with 3306 viewsBoston

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 14:37 - Jun 18 by eccles

I'm with you on this one Davman. No harm in testing this out in a couple of junior/lower league games to see if it helps. All teams time waste. Every time there's a 91st minute substitution it's called game management or running down the clock. And it always takes more than 30 seconds for the player coming off to trudge off from the far side of the pitch where he's been told by his manager to go to!
It's us, the fans that are being cheated by this. We pay for 90 minutes of sport but rarely get that, if at all.
It seems to work in rugby union with the ref deciding a time-off/time -on system.
This might not be the answer, but surely its worth having a look at?

Next you'll demanding the removal of a frothy head on a pint of beer!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 16:09 - Jun 18 with 3296 viewsdavman

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 16:04 - Jun 18 by Boston

Next you'll demanding the removal of a frothy head on a pint of beer!

Nowt wrong with a frothy head, but if it means paying the price of a pint for half a pint of drink and half a pint of froth, not happy.

This is about making the end point of the game more certain, not about the quality of football (which rarely changes ar Rangers these days...).

Can we go out yet?

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 16:34 - Jun 18 with 3278 viewsBoston

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 09:48 - Jun 18 by toboboly

Laughable "rules". If they go 30 mins a half then I am giving up on football in its entirety.

I'm up for having test match football. Five days of drinking interspersed with the runs.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 18:01 - Jun 18 with 3209 viewsEsox_Lucius

Why not stop the watch as per above but continue with 45 minute halves? They aren't giving you anything you weren't already entitled to. I'm sure the time wasting would drop dramatically if the players thought they had to be out any longer than they do now. 2 x 45 minute halves, no injury time, 90 minute match as per normal.

The grass is always greener.

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 18:49 - Jun 18 with 3163 viewsdavman

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 18:01 - Jun 18 by Esox_Lucius

Why not stop the watch as per above but continue with 45 minute halves? They aren't giving you anything you weren't already entitled to. I'm sure the time wasting would drop dramatically if the players thought they had to be out any longer than they do now. 2 x 45 minute halves, no injury time, 90 minute match as per normal.

Maybe, but I reckon that would end up with halves around 60-65 minutes long with all the 'false stops'. I think 30-35 mins is about right.

Can we go out yet?

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 19:34 - Jun 18 with 3133 viewsWoodlaneR

I like the fact they are finally looking at these things but let's not bombard the game with so many changes. They are only just testing the video ref. They should makes sure these changes are implemented correctly first before chucking a load of new rules at the game. Personally I don't like the idea of a shorter half. 45 mins is what it always has been and always should be. I would like the physio to be allowed to come on during play like rugby. That would cut down on a large part of the lost time alone!
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 19:38 - Jun 18 with 3126 viewsCopenranger

I like the idea of killing some of the time wasting, but If it means 30:00 excatcly as in basketball and handball I'm not a fan. Allowing a goal chance to play out at the end of a half is part of the charm/excitement of the game.
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 20:16 - Jun 18 with 3098 viewsRoller

Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 19:38 - Jun 18 by Copenranger

I like the idea of killing some of the time wasting, but If it means 30:00 excatcly as in basketball and handball I'm not a fan. Allowing a goal chance to play out at the end of a half is part of the charm/excitement of the game.

One of the other ideas under consideration is that the ref will only blow for half or full time when the ball goes dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 22:41 - Jun 18 with 3035 viewsNorthernr

The rugby league clock system would be brilliant if introduced to football, but it's certainly not anything like what's being proposed here.

Basically there's a guy in the stand with the watch, not the referee. The stadium clock and the time keeper's watch are one and the same, so there's no situation like the Cantona goal where the clock says 90 but the game just goes on and on until the referee gets the outcome he's after. There are set rules such as you have 1 minute after the try is scored to kick the conversion, and if you take longer than that the clock stops. If you concede a goal line drop out and throw the ball away (everybody does this, to get their breath back) the clock stops immediately. The referee can also call the time off for injuries, time wasting, fighting, anything really.

Football would benefit so much from this. For instance at the moment football adds 30 seconds for each substitution made (or is supposed to) but often they take far longer than that. If the clock was called off as soon as the board went in the air then you can fcking shake hands and pull your socks down and run to the other side of the pitch as much as you like...

Amother thing RL does which would massively benefit football is treating people in back play while the game continues. In football we either have the referee stopping the play, assessing the player, calling the physio on, prolonged treatment, off to the sideline, straight back on - or referee waves play on and then players get themselves in a fcking tizzy about whether they should kick the ball out or not. If play continued and treatment happened in back play I think you'd suddenly find 80% of the footballers who go down for treatment are actually fine after all.

Mostly though these rules suggested today are ridiculous, and Rugby league is certainly not the place to go if you want examples of best practises in refereeing - it's by far and away the worst refereed sport I watch.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Stopping the watch when the ball goes out of play. on 04:27 - Jun 19 with 2960 viewsSydneyRs

Aussie rules football has 20 minute quarters but in reality they go closer to 30 minutes and sometimes over because the clock stops when the ball is out of play. The more goals there are the longer the game goes.

You will find that the ball is actually in play in football for far less than the 45 mins, so this sort of idea is not as ridiculous as it sounds. It would need refining though to get it right.

As Northern mentioned everyone knows at rugby league when the game will end because of the system they use and the clock is displayed at games. At Aussie rules games they don't show the game clock (they do on TV broadcasts) so at the ground fans and to some extent players (trainers/runners would be giving updates during the game) still have that uncertainty of how long is left.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024