Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Ramsey 22:16 - Jun 18 with 11524 viewsNorthernr

Bit of a pet peeve of mine this since that disgusting MK Dons game, and it is a Guardian link so apologies Mailmen, but this reflects very well on our club

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/18/qprs-chris-ramsey-reflects-ment

Michael Calvin's most recent book on academy football - which basically savages the whole system as a cynical, greedy form of child exploitation - has good words to say about Ramsey and QPR. Imagine that, a book about how dreadful youth football is run in this country that singles out QPR as a case of good practice.

You rarely see, hear or read anything bad about Chris Ramsey except from QPR fans on social media and message boards. While accepting that first team manager wasn't the job for him - classic QPR of employing a great person in the right role and then shuffling him into the wrong job in a short term panic - I still don't think he did as badly at it as some people make out. The stick he got then, and this ongoing lingering idea that he's only here because he's Les' mate, he must be rubbish because some of the youth teams lose all the time, Tottenham mafia, black agenda etc etc seems to be obviously rubbish to me.

Interested on Smegma's perspective if he's around as he watches the youth set up far more than I do but Ramsey seems like a good egg we're lucky to have to me...

This post has been edited by an administrator
Chris Ramsey on 09:37 - Jun 19 with 2367 viewssmegma

I thought it was wrong for CR to take the first team job. I felt the same about when Gary Waddock took the job. Both were doing excellent in the youth set up. By leaving, or stepping up, they left behind kids who could possibly have felt a bit lost. I also know that coaching youth players is a totally different ball game to coaching first team players with all the egos involved. Before CR came into the club at Academy level, the youth set up was a bit of a talent desert. His CV covers coaching abroad and for the English FA at U16 and U20 level.He also scouted for Kevin Keegan when he was England manager. He spent 10 years at Tottenham. You don't get to coach Tottenhams kids because you have mates in high places. Les obviously spotted someone who he admired, not as a mate, but as a very good youth coach. When he took over from Redknapp we were already a poor team. We won our first away game of the season with him in temporary charge. We got relegated but even Alex Ferguson would've got relegated with the squad Ramsey had.
The biggest argument people use to criticise Ramsey is following his sacking as first team coach his sudden return at the expense of Stephen Gallen. Yes, it wasn't a nice way for Stephen to lose his job with his family connections to QPR. Stephen was highly influential in taking a scrawny 9 year old Raheem Sterling and making him into an International footballer. Raheem certainly had the skills but it was the coaching team who honed them.
Youth football is not just about making players, it's about teaching kids about the clubs history, how to conduct themselves while representing QPR etc. I believe the club is a success on this front. Fans like to see 'one of our own' make the grade in the first team. We've had about 'ten of our own' since CR joined the club. That has to be the biggest positive of his tenure.
But maybe, just maybe, Les offered CR the job over Stephen as he believed CR was the better more experienced coach?? What's wrong with that?? Everyone cries out for the best player/coaches for QPR. Surely if Les was giving jobs to his mates, the car crash that is Tim Sherwood would have been given a job at some level by now, he's certainly been revealed to have been sniffing around the club according to press.
Reading that press link, I believe the journo has hit the nail on the head. But then I don't take much notice of other clubs youth set ups, or care.
Chris Ramsey on 09:39 - Jun 19 with 2353 viewsstevec

Chris Ramsey on 23:41 - Jun 18 by TacticalR

DannytheR keeps very extensive files.

and i'm shítting myself.

Have we got any salt mines in this country?
Chris Ramsey on 10:03 - Jun 19 with 2325 viewsDejR_vu

Whenever I've seen the academy play (I only see one age group) they tend to get tonked. But, they do it trying to play the right way i.e. they're trying to teach boys how to play football, they're not worried about the score / getting results. Although, that said, it's not great from a psychological point of view to get beaten every/most weeks.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Chris Ramsey on 10:07 - Jun 19 with 2322 viewskarl

Chris Ramsey on 06:08 - Jun 19 by Lblock

Reactionary?

Errrmm.. yep. That's kind of what many, many, many of the human race do - react to situations.
As well as having a consistent view there is the ability to duck and swerve

I must have these football message boards all wrong. I thought they were a place to vent, read the views of others, catch up on news, have a debate, have the craic etc. This place also having the side benefits of a wealth of general knowledge etc

It's not Vanilla World and thank goodness for that.

I'll state again, I'm on record as to Ramsey's abilities as a youth coach, I haven't the time to trawl back and find that but I guarantee I posted it.

Now back to my commute into the City and to finish this great book I'm reading at the moment, it's called "How to Develop Considered Opinions and Talk to People"..... I'm not too sure if it's any good and I don't think it'll have a very good ending

Haha ok i'll reword it, Lblock is one of the most over reactionary posters' you've got to expect that someone will highlight an outburst surely?
No problem with someone not being 'vanilla' but take it on the chin ffs
Chris Ramsey on 10:09 - Jun 19 with 2322 viewssmegma

I saw the U18s play at Forest the morning after the first team lost at Derby. They got thumped 6-1. It's not about results. It's about teaching kids how to play in different formations, different positions etc. Speaking to Forest fans and ex Fulham player Gary Brazil ,who is on the Forest coaching team I believe, they were impressed with two of our players. Meanwhile Forest had a 14 year old kid who looked better than Raheem Sterling at the same age. And a 15 year old who wasn't far behind.
Chris Ramsey on 10:13 - Jun 19 with 2306 viewsLblock

Chris Ramsey on 10:07 - Jun 19 by karl

Haha ok i'll reword it, Lblock is one of the most over reactionary posters' you've got to expect that someone will highlight an outburst surely?
No problem with someone not being 'vanilla' but take it on the chin ffs

I wasn't being sensitive merely highlighting some balance old bean.

Now if you don't mind I have some knickers to un-twist and I have a ladder in my tights I must sort out

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Chris Ramsey on 11:04 - Jun 19 with 2246 viewsDorse

Je suis un battant content.

I like Ramsey. Furthermore, my favourite Revel is the coffee one, especially if they've been in the fridge for a bit. I dislike the needlessly chewy toffee one. And Teresa May looks like something you might see in a haunted mirror.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Chris Ramsey on 11:10 - Jun 19 with 2233 viewssmegma

Chris Ramsey on 11:04 - Jun 19 by Dorse

Je suis un battant content.

I like Ramsey. Furthermore, my favourite Revel is the coffee one, especially if they've been in the fridge for a bit. I dislike the needlessly chewy toffee one. And Teresa May looks like something you might see in a haunted mirror.

I knew you were a wrong 'un. It's the toffee one. Which is really a Poppet surrounded by a malaise of chocolate covered detritus.
Login to get fewer ads

Chris Ramsey on 11:14 - Jun 19 with 2225 viewsEsox_Lucius

I walked to the ground with Armand Traoré a few seasons back just as he was returning from another calf injury and he was quite open and frank about his fears of being re-injured and the stick he was getting at the club when he said he wasn't willing to risk it. He even told me that he was reading "The Chimp Paradox" in an effort to get his head around his fears etc. Perhaps if we had had these people at the club back then we may have seen a very different layer to the one that a lot of fans were very unhappy about but, whom most would agree had a fair bit of talent. Samba Diakité is another who may have benefitted.

The grass is always greener.

Chris Ramsey on 11:20 - Jun 19 with 2205 viewsDannytheR

Chris Ramsey on 09:39 - Jun 19 by stevec

and i'm shítting myself.

Actually Steve, I've got you down for the School End refreshment kiosk at the next Millwall game. You can only serve Fanta and you have to express yourself through the medium of dance.
Chris Ramsey on 12:25 - Jun 19 with 2104 viewsTacticalR

Is the word 'reactionary' being used correctly? A reactionary is someone who wants to return to the past:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactionary

I am not sure what the correct word is, as 'reactive' is used for chemical reactions.

'Overreacting' maybe?

Air hostess clique

Chris Ramsey on 12:47 - Jun 19 with 2056 viewskarl

Chris Ramsey on 12:25 - Jun 19 by TacticalR

Is the word 'reactionary' being used correctly? A reactionary is someone who wants to return to the past:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactionary

I am not sure what the correct word is, as 'reactive' is used for chemical reactions.

'Overreacting' maybe?

A delightful correction Tactical! I was scared the misplaced apostrophe was going to attract criticism but this has disguised it beautifully, thank you. Haha

Does Lblock accept 'overreacting' though?
Chris Ramsey on 13:00 - Jun 19 with 2020 viewsLblock

Chris Ramsey on 12:47 - Jun 19 by karl

A delightful correction Tactical! I was scared the misplaced apostrophe was going to attract criticism but this has disguised it beautifully, thank you. Haha

Does Lblock accept 'overreacting' though?

I'll accept that.

My days of chemical reactions are long gone but still fond memories (sort of)

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Chris Ramsey on 13:32 - Jun 19 with 1977 viewsJigsore

is it me or are we getting more positive articles over the last year or so?

A few years back it was just a big graph saying how we spent more on wages than Dortmund

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Chris Ramsey on 13:43 - Jun 19 with 1954 viewsDorse

Chris Ramsey on 13:32 - Jun 19 by Jigsore

A few years back it was just a big graph saying how we spent more on wages than Dortmund

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Chris Ramsey on 14:06 - Jun 19 with 1898 viewsjohncharles

Chris Ramsey on 09:39 - Jun 19 by stevec

and i'm shítting myself.

Very few salt mines and not nearly enough miners but when we are swept to power a democratically elected military junta will scour the country for "volunteers"

Strong and stable my arse.

Chris Ramsey on 14:25 - Jun 19 with 1854 viewsTacticalR

Chris Ramsey on 14:06 - Jun 19 by johncharles

Very few salt mines and not nearly enough miners but when we are swept to power a democratically elected military junta will scour the country for "volunteers"

Sounds like the Bevin Boys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevin_Boys

Air hostess clique

Chris Ramsey on 15:16 - Jun 19 with 1793 viewsBoston

Chris Ramsey on 11:10 - Jun 19 by smegma

I knew you were a wrong 'un. It's the toffee one. Which is really a Poppet surrounded by a malaise of chocolate covered detritus.

I'm reasonably confident in saying I've never eaten Revels.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Chris Ramsey on 15:25 - Jun 19 with 1768 viewsMick_S

The orange one for me - all day long.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Chris Ramsey on 16:20 - Jun 19 with 1687 viewsNorthernr

Chris Ramsey on 13:32 - Jun 19 by Jigsore

It's a shame the team is so fcking awful because in media, PR, community work, academy we have come on a tonne and have a lot of great people working for us. Just the important bit we can't get right.
Chris Ramsey on 16:45 - Jun 19 with 1643 viewsDannytheR

At the risk of getting on Northern’s tits all over again (for the record I always thought Ramsey got the less aromatic end of the stick)… this one time only, just by way of clearing the air…

Seen some stuff on here today about personal abuse and my role in it. If marks have been overstepped I’m happy to hold my hand up. But like everything it cuts both ways. It’s hard to take it seriously, for instance, when Paulparker complains about other people’s terrible rudeness after he recently offered me out. Personally, I don’t really care. Things get said, you puff your chest out and the world moves on. It’s strange to see blokes who spend half their time getting misty eyed about the good old hoolie days coming over all delicate about an internet forum. But point taken, and happy to conduct myself as a gentleman if we’re all going to stick to it.

In terms of general stuff, again, I don’t like to think I’ve singlehandedly ruined the forum for anyone. But while it might have been more fun for PP etc in the past, I don’t know that it was for everyone. Although this place has always had a lot of really insightful football talk, and some very mad and very funny threads, there was a time when it also got filled with a pretty tiring stream of stuff you had to step around about Guardian readers, Muslim clerics, Gordon Brown’s gold, Somalis in council flats, and how everyone knows scousers caused Hillsborough really. Just because it was your mate posting it doesn’t mean that wasn’t political, none of it was that funny or insightful, and though only Clive would have the numbers, I’d imagine quite a lot of people were put posting here off by that too. Certainly, more than one person has told me exactly that.

And the thing about all the stuff I mentioned above is that, even though it was a bit grim, I don’t think me or anyone else ever told the handful of people who posted that stuff what they could and couldn’t discuss. The problems seems to be in arguing back a bit, or even just finding other things to talk about.

If you wade into a discussion about Grenfell, which blatantly a lot of people are going to have very strong feelings about, you might get a bit of something back. If you wade into a conversation about politics just to say how much politics bores you, you might get a bit of something back. I think that’s fair enough. FWIW, of every musical genre known to man, progressive House makes me want to stick fking knitting needles in my ears and waggle them about, but if other people want to have a thread devoted to nothing but, then nice one, love it, why would I ever post there to say I personally can’t stand it?

As for LBlock’s internet history, that post last night caught me at at the end of a knackered, heavy weekend and it was quicker to C+P a couple of his old posts than write one of my own. Realise it drew attention to my Stalinist streak, but again - dig out anyone you like, but if you constantly refer to a bloke by a snide comedy nickname, mention rumours that people in the club have personal issues with him, imply he’s got mental health problems and celebrate his sacking by calling him an imbecile, it strikes me as a bit of a rum do to then claim you actually really rated him as a football man once public opinion moves in his favour.

But it was only a bit of fun. (Me, I thought I was being charitable not bringing up all the posts about what a revelation Ravel Morrison was going to be last season…)

And given I got mayo from my fking £4.50 chicken sandwich all over myself at lunchtime and have been sitting here with a suspiciously stained crotch for most of the afternoon, it would be difficult for me to claim I was any more intelligent than anyone else…
Chris Ramsey on 17:03 - Jun 19 with 1604 viewsTacticalR

As background...at the moment there so much miserable stuff happening in the UK that every thread risks turning into a shitstorm.

In this particular case I thought that there wasn't that much point in going to town on Lblock's contradictions as he had pointed them out himself, plus everyone is pretty familiar with his position on managers who wear hats.

Air hostess clique

Chris Ramsey on 17:42 - Jun 19 with 1550 viewsdistortR

Chris Ramsey on 17:03 - Jun 19 by TacticalR

As background...at the moment there so much miserable stuff happening in the UK that every thread risks turning into a shitstorm.

In this particular case I thought that there wasn't that much point in going to town on Lblock's contradictions as he had pointed them out himself, plus everyone is pretty familiar with his position on managers who wear hats.

well, in contrast to the miserable things that are happening over there, over here in the isle of man, nothing happens all the time.
And we don't have political parties so i don't know who to blame?
It's that bad, I save up any money that my wife doesn't spend, and get excited about going to Loftus Road.

Until the match starts, obviously.
Chris Ramsey on 17:50 - Jun 19 with 1534 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Yet another good article about the club....we should be getting used to it, I suppose.

Well done to all involved.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Chris Ramsey on 00:29 - Jun 20 with 1393 viewsPunteR

Chris Ramsey on 16:45 - Jun 19 by DannytheR

At the risk of getting on Northern’s tits all over again (for the record I always thought Ramsey got the less aromatic end of the stick)… this one time only, just by way of clearing the air…

Seen some stuff on here today about personal abuse and my role in it. If marks have been overstepped I’m happy to hold my hand up. But like everything it cuts both ways. It’s hard to take it seriously, for instance, when Paulparker complains about other people’s terrible rudeness after he recently offered me out. Personally, I don’t really care. Things get said, you puff your chest out and the world moves on. It’s strange to see blokes who spend half their time getting misty eyed about the good old hoolie days coming over all delicate about an internet forum. But point taken, and happy to conduct myself as a gentleman if we’re all going to stick to it.

In terms of general stuff, again, I don’t like to think I’ve singlehandedly ruined the forum for anyone. But while it might have been more fun for PP etc in the past, I don’t know that it was for everyone. Although this place has always had a lot of really insightful football talk, and some very mad and very funny threads, there was a time when it also got filled with a pretty tiring stream of stuff you had to step around about Guardian readers, Muslim clerics, Gordon Brown’s gold, Somalis in council flats, and how everyone knows scousers caused Hillsborough really. Just because it was your mate posting it doesn’t mean that wasn’t political, none of it was that funny or insightful, and though only Clive would have the numbers, I’d imagine quite a lot of people were put posting here off by that too. Certainly, more than one person has told me exactly that.

And the thing about all the stuff I mentioned above is that, even though it was a bit grim, I don’t think me or anyone else ever told the handful of people who posted that stuff what they could and couldn’t discuss. The problems seems to be in arguing back a bit, or even just finding other things to talk about.

If you wade into a discussion about Grenfell, which blatantly a lot of people are going to have very strong feelings about, you might get a bit of something back. If you wade into a conversation about politics just to say how much politics bores you, you might get a bit of something back. I think that’s fair enough. FWIW, of every musical genre known to man, progressive House makes me want to stick fking knitting needles in my ears and waggle them about, but if other people want to have a thread devoted to nothing but, then nice one, love it, why would I ever post there to say I personally can’t stand it?

As for LBlock’s internet history, that post last night caught me at at the end of a knackered, heavy weekend and it was quicker to C+P a couple of his old posts than write one of my own. Realise it drew attention to my Stalinist streak, but again - dig out anyone you like, but if you constantly refer to a bloke by a snide comedy nickname, mention rumours that people in the club have personal issues with him, imply he’s got mental health problems and celebrate his sacking by calling him an imbecile, it strikes me as a bit of a rum do to then claim you actually really rated him as a football man once public opinion moves in his favour.

But it was only a bit of fun. (Me, I thought I was being charitable not bringing up all the posts about what a revelation Ravel Morrison was going to be last season…)

And given I got mayo from my fking £4.50 chicken sandwich all over myself at lunchtime and have been sitting here with a suspiciously stained crotch for most of the afternoon, it would be difficult for me to claim I was any more intelligent than anyone else…

I owe you an apology Danny. There was no need for the name calling and i let myself down there. I must knock the strong cider on the head despite is delicious summer taste, its basically getting me smashed.
But I still dont like the way some bowl about on here so to speak. and i thought you were out of order dragging up Lblocks LFW history..
Regarding your music taste, when have any of us shoved House music in your face constantly?. We have one thread that we all post on, its clearly sign posted so you can avoid it.. Unlike your barrage of political views on every other thread which bores me to tears. (i dont necessarily disagree with btw)
..and Btw i only logged on again last night to reply to 18stones post on the Latimer rd thread. Nothing to do with unflouncing. Im still in full on flounce mode but LFW management must be off on there hols as they still havnt deleted my account like i asked. :) I havent found anything else yet to fill my time and LFW addiction is actually quite hard to break. I've also got good online mates on here which i'm reluctant to leave.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024