Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Used To Do Crosswords 01:04 - Jun 21 with 4473 viewsBoston

...a few a day if possible. Tea break as a lad comprised of a cuppa, sandwich and the quick Guardian challenge. Rarely did I not have it done in twenty mins. Never continued the habit in the USofA, dislike their versions, do one now and then but the layouts are poxy, they don't even put the number of letters after the clue so you get bogged down counting boxes, need a farkin coffee hour to plod my way through and don't get me started on the spelling. I know you can do 'em online, but it's just not the same, a paper stuck outa yer back pocket as you shovel concrete has a certain je ne sais quoi, doncha fink?
Needless to say cryptic is craptic.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2017 1:24]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Used To Do Crosswords on 12:17 - Jun 21 with 848 viewsYorkRanger

Used To Do Crosswords on 06:48 - Jun 21 by Konk

6 Down: Exhausting post round.
How many letters? Bloody thousands.

Still makes me chuckle.

I used to do the Guardian Quick crossword and Sudoku every day before I started cycling to work, and I still enjoy doing them now whenever I get the time. I actually gave an involuntary “Yes!” when I completed a particularly tricky Suduko puzzle in the Guardian the other day, which scared the sh it out of the woman sat next to me on the 141.

Pre-internet, in the morning my team at work used to collectively work through most of the papers’ crosswords, guess the ages of that day’s celebrity birthdays and then guess the hottest and coldest places in the list of published temperatures in the Guardian (Abu Dhabi was hottest 99% of the time). If we weren’t doing that, and it had gone midday, you could usually find about 75% of the team at any one point in the pub across the road, watching the horse racing, cricket, snooker and during the Olympics, getting quite animated about small bore pistol shooting and badminton. Good times.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2017 7:15]

Ah Guardian reader Konk, never in doubt given your liberal, laissez faire views....
Used To Do Crosswords on 12:23 - Jun 21 with 838 viewsHantsR

I was watching a Hobby (actually a pair of them) catching dragonflies on the wing last week and I recalled that the latin name for a Hobby is 'Falco Subbuteo'

I mused that there must be a crossword clue or quiz question there somewhere?
Used To Do Crosswords on 14:20 - Jun 21 with 801 viewscolinallcars

Good clue in the Times today.....Muhammad Ali cut head, film's shown (3,5,6)
Answer - The Great Escape.
Geddit ?
Used To Do Crosswords on 14:38 - Jun 21 with 794 viewsBoston

I think you become familiar with a style, whether it was compiled by Vicars or just QPR Vic, often had more difficulty with (so called), easier ones. Some of the fellas I worked alongside found my interest a little amusing, but hey, we all have our peccadillos.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Used To Do Crosswords on 20:15 - Jun 21 with 760 viewsBluce_Ree

I'm relatively smart I think but f**king shit at crosswords though. Even regular ones. As for those 'a cluck in a suitcase, say' bullshit cryptic ones? F*CK. Even shitter.

To be honest, I'm essentially retarded I think.

I should probably try to sort this shit out but I'm tired. It's been a long life.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024