Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Champ TV deal 09:16 - Jul 6 with 11195 viewsNorthernr

Sky will show 228 live matches from 2019/20 - currently 112. Means they'll have to switch five or six games every weekend.
New Champ TV deal on 14:30 - Jul 7 with 2158 viewsnadera78

New Champ TV deal on 11:49 - Jul 7 by MrSheen

MY mistake, they have more, including Pro 12 (Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Italy) and French Top 14. I doubt viewing figures are any good, but all about making subscribers sign up to them as well as BT. Hence BT's apparent interest in NRL, to go from nothing to interest RL fans to something.

PS I'd just like to add, 14-12, Bunny-boy!
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 13:03]

It's not exactly been a great season for Souths. Couple of season tbh.

Have you been to the Broncos recently? After not going for a good few seasons I've been a couple of times this year. Decent standard, decent beer. Club still has no plans for the future though...
New Champ TV deal on 14:36 - Jul 7 with 2147 viewsTacticalR

New Champ TV deal on 09:46 - Jul 7 by stevec

As peeved about this as most who attend LR though the maths certainly favour it as far as the clubs concerned. *

Reckon our income on ticket sales is something like £7m a season, probably excluding box sales and add ons. 228 live matches is around 42% of total games played, on that basis we'd have about 10 home games on Sky. Assuming the existing £150k per game went up, say £200k, the club are looking at income of £2m per season extra so even if those attending dropped by up to 30%, the club are still better off. *

Regards the club having their own pay channel, think that was muted at around £3 per game(?), over a 46 game season, if the club got 35,000 subscribers worldwide the income from that and Sky money for live games combined would actually mean Rangers could play in front of an empty stadium and still be no worse off. *

* Footnote: not suggesting for a minute I'd want that, just pointing it out.

Opening stadiums on match days is a lot of trouble and expense. We have got a lot of buy-to-leave flats in London, so I don't see why we shouldn't have buy-to-leave football stadiums.

Air hostess clique

New Champ TV deal on 14:39 - Jul 7 with 2133 viewsMrSheen

New Champ TV deal on 14:30 - Jul 7 by nadera78

It's not exactly been a great season for Souths. Couple of season tbh.

Have you been to the Broncos recently? After not going for a good few seasons I've been a couple of times this year. Decent standard, decent beer. Club still has no plans for the future though...

I got out of the habit when my son lost interest in going (same with Rangers, to be honest), but I 'd like to get back into it. They seem to be going really well this year. What sort of crowds do they get now?
New Champ TV deal on 15:25 - Jul 7 with 2089 viewsnadera78

New Champ TV deal on 14:39 - Jul 7 by MrSheen

I got out of the habit when my son lost interest in going (same with Rangers, to be honest), but I 'd like to get back into it. They seem to be going really well this year. What sort of crowds do they get now?

Averaging about 800ish I think. Should be some good games, and bigger crowds, in a few weeks when the middle 8s gets underway. Not a stadium at all though, more an old-fashioned rugby ground, with just a couple of small stands and people stood around the pitch barrier with a beer in their hand. If the sun's out it's a nice way to spend a couple of hours but I think even the owner's given up on anything more than that coming from it. Producing a lot of players though, there's got to be 30-odd professionals come through the ranks by now including some genuine top end talent.
New Champ TV deal on 15:26 - Jul 7 with 2087 viewsSimonJames

Just seen BT's dates for the first 6 televised Bath Rugby matches and only 2 of them are on Saturday... 3 of them are on Sunday, 1 is on Friday night.
I guess TV receipts will always outstrip gate receipts when your rugby ground only holds 14.5K

100% of people who drink water will die.

New Champ TV deal on 15:54 - Jul 7 with 2042 viewsMrSheen

New Champ TV deal on 15:25 - Jul 7 by nadera78

Averaging about 800ish I think. Should be some good games, and bigger crowds, in a few weeks when the middle 8s gets underway. Not a stadium at all though, more an old-fashioned rugby ground, with just a couple of small stands and people stood around the pitch barrier with a beer in their hand. If the sun's out it's a nice way to spend a couple of hours but I think even the owner's given up on anything more than that coming from it. Producing a lot of players though, there's got to be 30-odd professionals come through the ranks by now including some genuine top end talent.

I've taken my son there for mini rugby many times. Very weird squishy artificial pitch. I enjoyed when the Broncos played at Esher a couple of times, I liked the Aussie style hill, but Barnet was too far for me. I saw someone in a Rangers top arguing with the bar staff at Esher about short measures in a pint. Wasn't you, was it?
New Champ TV deal on 16:51 - Jul 7 with 2000 viewsnadera78

New Champ TV deal on 15:54 - Jul 7 by MrSheen

I've taken my son there for mini rugby many times. Very weird squishy artificial pitch. I enjoyed when the Broncos played at Esher a couple of times, I liked the Aussie style hill, but Barnet was too far for me. I saw someone in a Rangers top arguing with the bar staff at Esher about short measures in a pint. Wasn't you, was it?

Sounds like something I'd do but, no, not me. I avoided the last few years at the Stoop and then Barnet. The club has attracted - and then lost - so many people over the years it's crazy. They go along for whatever reason, fall in love with the game, become dedicated fans, eventually realise the club is a basket case, lose the will to live, and finally walk away. Just a semblance of a coherent plan and a structure would see many of them return, I'm sure of it.
New Champ TV deal on 17:45 - Jul 7 with 1958 viewsMrSheen

New Champ TV deal on 16:51 - Jul 7 by nadera78

Sounds like something I'd do but, no, not me. I avoided the last few years at the Stoop and then Barnet. The club has attracted - and then lost - so many people over the years it's crazy. They go along for whatever reason, fall in love with the game, become dedicated fans, eventually realise the club is a basket case, lose the will to live, and finally walk away. Just a semblance of a coherent plan and a structure would see many of them return, I'm sure of it.

I'd really like to agree with you, but I don't see what the coherent plan could be. I just don't think there'd ever be enough money through the gates or from TV to pay for a well-located home and compete with the big clubs given the extra cost of living in London. While displaced Northerners seem to have supported the club, Aussies aren't impressed by the standard and very few Union fans seem to fall in love with it (though I did). It seems the choice for the owner is to lose money slowly, or everything in a hurry.
Login to get fewer ads

New Champ TV deal on 18:23 - Jul 7 with 1936 viewsPunteR

I think i'm just going to go back to SKY again...

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

New Champ TV deal on 18:35 - Jul 7 with 1930 viewsnadera78

New Champ TV deal on 17:45 - Jul 7 by MrSheen

I'd really like to agree with you, but I don't see what the coherent plan could be. I just don't think there'd ever be enough money through the gates or from TV to pay for a well-located home and compete with the big clubs given the extra cost of living in London. While displaced Northerners seem to have supported the club, Aussies aren't impressed by the standard and very few Union fans seem to fall in love with it (though I did). It seems the choice for the owner is to lose money slowly, or everything in a hurry.

Dave Hughes has put in at least £20million over the years, and has nothing to show for it except enjoying the games he watched along the way*. Every penny of it went into players' pockets and renting facilities. If he'd bought a patch of land - say a non-league football ground or a sports ground like Trailfinders - and put a new stand or two in place the club would at the very least have a home, something tangible, some stability. That alone would have demonstrated some sense of a plan. I've lost count of the number of people who were real diehards but lost faith with what Hughes was doing and walked away.

I even heard Richard Lewis at the RFL gave up on him in the end, and he'd spent years offering advice and trying to get him to approach things differently.

I'm not saying the club would ever get gates comparable to the big northern clubs but it could have been sustainable, even just as a lower SL club. England fixtures in London always sell 15-20K tickets locally. But that chance has long gone.

* Just to add, Hughes is quite rightly proud of the academy programme at London, which is producing players at a very good rate. Mike McMeeken being a current England international, and lots of SL players spread around the northern clubs.
New Champ TV deal on 18:56 - Jul 7 with 1913 viewsDorse

New Champ TV deal on 10:21 - Jul 7 by DesertBoot

Yes. No reply to my request on the viewing figures for the QPR v Wolves fixture - both on email and Twitter.

It peaked at around 14 but when that repeat of Embarrassing Bodies with the elephantiasis of the testicles came on about 12 turned over.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

New Champ TV deal on 21:39 - Jul 7 with 1824 viewsMrSheen

New Champ TV deal on 18:35 - Jul 7 by nadera78

Dave Hughes has put in at least £20million over the years, and has nothing to show for it except enjoying the games he watched along the way*. Every penny of it went into players' pockets and renting facilities. If he'd bought a patch of land - say a non-league football ground or a sports ground like Trailfinders - and put a new stand or two in place the club would at the very least have a home, something tangible, some stability. That alone would have demonstrated some sense of a plan. I've lost count of the number of people who were real diehards but lost faith with what Hughes was doing and walked away.

I even heard Richard Lewis at the RFL gave up on him in the end, and he'd spent years offering advice and trying to get him to approach things differently.

I'm not saying the club would ever get gates comparable to the big northern clubs but it could have been sustainable, even just as a lower SL club. England fixtures in London always sell 15-20K tickets locally. But that chance has long gone.

* Just to add, Hughes is quite rightly proud of the academy programme at London, which is producing players at a very good rate. Mike McMeeken being a current England international, and lots of SL players spread around the northern clubs.

You're probably right, but do you think Hughes thought he'd end up putting £20m in when he first got involved?

Are you watching Saints v Hull? An error a minute, but it's good entertainment.
New Champ TV deal on 21:59 - Jul 7 with 1801 viewsMrSheen

New Champ TV deal on 21:39 - Jul 7 by MrSheen

You're probably right, but do you think Hughes thought he'd end up putting £20m in when he first got involved?

Are you watching Saints v Hull? An error a minute, but it's good entertainment.

Unbelievable try just now.

Home to Sheffield on Sunday. Fark it, why not?

If all goes well with his A levels, Master Sheen is off to Manchester in September. I was hoping to get a dream weekend with Super League on Friday and Bolton away, but it's out of season. Maybe Sheff United in February after a night out in Wigan, Warrington or St Helens.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2017 22:08]
New Champ TV deal on 11:08 - Jul 10 with 1623 viewsNorthernr

Went to see London Sheffield yesterday, enjoyed a good deal more than Hull FC knocking on their way to defeat on Friday.

Anyway, Sky bumf has arrived this morning so here's the plan....

Sky Sports is expanding its service with 10 sports channels, giving customers more choice, at no extra cost.

The line-up will include new channels dedicated to some of the biggest sports and opens up new ways for customers to join Sky Sports, from as little as 60p a day. It will also offer a better digital experience on one Sky Sports app.

From 18th July, the Sky Sports package will include:
10 sports channels — more than ever before, including:
Dedicated channels for the Premier League, football, cricket, golf and F1®
Two channels, Sky Sports Action and Sky Sports Arena, offering rugby union, rugby league, boxing, netball, darts, NFL, tennis, WWE, GAA & much more
Sky Sports Main Event channel hosting the biggest events in one place
Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Mix for all Sky customers

The new package of ten channels and an unrivalled schedule of live sport is available for the same price (£27.50 per month), which will remain frozen for 12 months. Existing customers will receive the new Sky Sports package automatically and the new channels will replace the existing line-up.

For the first time, Sky Sports will also offer something for fans not looking for the full breadth of sports, but are interested in specific sports. The new line-up is designed to grow this customer base and offers flexibility to subscribe to individual channel packages at a new price. One channel pack will be available for just £18 per month, two for £22 and three for £26.

About the new Sky Sports
Five channels will be dedicated to sports viewers love. Sky Sports Main Event will show the biggest live sports events in one place, while Sky Sports Action and Arena will show all the other incredible sport Sky offers. All Sky customers will continue to enjoy Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Mix. NOW TV customers will be able to purchase the new Sky Sports line-up at no additional cost. Virgin Media and TalkTalk customers will also benefit from the channel changes.

The new line-up of channels* and Sky EPG channel numbers are:
401 Sky Sports Main Event
402 Sky Sports Premier League
403 Sky Sports Football
404 Sky Sports Cricket
405 Sky Sports Golf
406 Sky Sports F1
407 Sky Sports Action
408 Sky Sports Arena
409 Sky Sports News
121 Sky Sports Mix

* See appendix for channel content line-up.
* CHANNEL SCHEDULES

401 — Sky Sports Main Event
The destination for the biggest live events
Live Premier League football plus international qualifiers and the biggest games from EFL and La Liga, F1®, Ryder Cup and Major golf, England Test cricket, international Rugby Union, World Darts Championship and more

402 — Sky Sports Premier League
The home of the Premier League
126 live Premier League matches per season. Brand new shows including a new nightly debate show. Dedicated On Demand sections for every Premier League club, including match highlights, interviews and documentaries.

403 — Sky Sports Football
The home of over 900 live games per season
127 Sky Bet EFL matches per season, EFL Cup including semi-finals and final, SPFL Premiership & Scottish Cup, 300 La Liga matches a season, MLS, Eredivisie and more.

404 — Sky Sports Cricket
The only place to see every home England match live
Exclusive live coverage of every home England Test, ODI and T20 match. The widest range of domestic cricket including County Championship, T20 Blast and more. The ICC Champions Trophy, Cricket World Cup, World Twenty20 and Women’s World Cup live.

405 - Sky Sports Golf
The must-have channel for all golf fans
The only place to see every day of The Open Championship and US Open live. Home of the European Tour, PGA Tour, Ladies European and Ladies PGA Tour. This year’s Solheim Cup and The 2018 Ryder Cup.

406 — Sky Sports F1®
Every Formula 1® practice, qualifying hour and race live
Exclusive coverage of the FIA Formula 2 Championship, GP3, Porsche Supercup and Goodwood Festival of Speed.

407 — Sky Sports Action

408 — Sky Sports Arena
The home of rugby union (England, European and domestic rugby union, the British & Irish Lions), rugby Super League, ATP tennis, PDC darts (including World Championship), world championship boxing, NFL, WWE, GAA, netball and more

409 — Sky Sports News
The home of breaking sports news, 24 hours a day.
Regular news and feature programmes where studio guests provide an in depth look at upcoming sporting events, combined with the latest stories as they happen from around the world. Cameras and reporters stretch across the country, and the globe, taking viewers to the heart of sport.

121 — Sky Sports Mix
A window into the world of Sky Sports, bringing a selection of sports entertainment to all Sky customers.
Regular live football including La Liga, MLS and international qualifiers as well as a select number of Premier League and EFL matches. As well as support programming that will appeal to kids and family audiences, viewers can also enjoy live golf from Europe and the US, international cricket and much more.
New Champ TV deal on 12:33 - Jul 10 with 1580 viewsSuffolkHoop

New Champ TV deal on 11:08 - Jul 10 by Northernr

Went to see London Sheffield yesterday, enjoyed a good deal more than Hull FC knocking on their way to defeat on Friday.

Sky Sports is expanding its service with 10 sports channels, giving customers more choice, at no extra cost.

The line-up will include new channels dedicated to some of the biggest sports and opens up new ways for customers to join Sky Sports, from as little as 60p a day. It will also offer a better digital experience on one Sky Sports app.

Two channels, Sky Sports Action and Sky Sports Arena, offering rugby union, rugby league, boxing, netball, darts, NFL, tennis, WWE, GAA & much more

The new package of ten channels and an unrivalled schedule of live sport is available for the same price (£27.50 per month), which will remain frozen for 12 months. Existing customers will receive the new Sky Sports package automatically and the new channels will replace the existing line-up.

For the first time, Sky Sports will also offer something for fans not looking for the full breadth of sports, but are interested in specific sports. The new line-up is designed to grow this customer base and offers flexibility to subscribe to individual channel packages at a new price. One channel pack will be available for just £18 per month, two for £22 and three for £26.

About the new Sky Sports
Five channels will be dedicated to sports viewers love. Sky Sports Main Event will show the biggest live sports events in one place, while Sky Sports Action and Arena will show all the other incredible sport Sky offers. All Sky customers will continue to enjoy Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Mix. NOW TV customers will be able to purchase the new Sky Sports line-up at no additional cost. Virgin Media and TalkTalk customers will also benefit from the channel changes.

403 Sky Sports Football
404 Sky Sports Cricket
405 Sky Sports Golf
406 Sky Sports F1
407 Sky Sports Action
408 Sky Sports Arena
409 Sky Sports News
121 Sky Sports Mix

* CHANNEL SCHEDULES

Live Premier League football plus international qualifiers and the biggest games from EFL and La Liga, F1®, Ryder Cup and Major golf, England Test cricket, international Rugby Union, World Darts Championship and more

126 live Premier League matches per season. Brand new shows including a new nightly debate show. Dedicated On Demand sections for every Premier League club, including match highlights, interviews and documentaries.

127 Sky Bet EFL matches per season, EFL Cup including semi-finals and final, SPFL Premiership & Scottish Cup, 300 La Liga matches a season, MLS, Eredivisie and more.

404 — Sky Sports Cricket
Exclusive live coverage of every home England Test, ODI and T20 match. The widest range of domestic cricket including County Championship, T20 Blast and more. The ICC Champions Trophy, Cricket World Cup, World Twenty20 and Women’s World Cup live.

405 - Sky Sports Golf
The only place to see every day of The Open Championship and US Open live. Home of the European Tour, PGA Tour, Ladies European and Ladies PGA Tour. This year’s Solheim Cup and The 2018 Ryder Cup.

406 — Sky Sports F1®
Exclusive coverage of the FIA Formula 2 Championship, GP3, Porsche Supercup and Goodwood Festival of Speed.

407 — Sky Sports Action

408 — Sky Sports Arena
The home of rugby union (England, European and domestic rugby union, the British & Irish Lions), rugby Super League, ATP tennis, PDC darts (including World Championship), world championship boxing, NFL, WWE, GAA, netball and more

409 — Sky Sports News
Regular news and feature programmes where studio guests provide an in depth look at upcoming sporting events, combined with the latest stories as they happen from around the world. Cameras and reporters stretch across the country, and the globe, taking viewers to the heart of sport.

121 — Sky Sports Mix
A window into the world of Sky Sports, bringing a selection of sports entertainment to all Sky customers.
Regular live football including La Liga, MLS and international qualifiers as well as a select number of Premier League and EFL matches. As well as support programming that will appeal to kids and family audiences, viewers can also enjoy live golf from Europe and the US, international cricket and much more.

Thats all well and good, Sky could have 25 channels. But;

Premier League also on BT
The Champions League is on BT
The Six Nations is on BBC/ITV
The Ashes are on BT
Moto GP on BT

etc etc
New Champ TV deal on 13:56 - Jul 10 with 1493 viewsnadera78

New Champ TV deal on 11:08 - Jul 10 by Northernr

About the new Sky Sports

403 Sky Sports Football
404 Sky Sports Cricket
405 Sky Sports Golf
406 Sky Sports F1
407 Sky Sports Action
408 Sky Sports Arena
409 Sky Sports News
121 Sky Sports Mix

* CHANNEL SCHEDULES

404 — Sky Sports Cricket

405 - Sky Sports Golf

406 — Sky Sports F1®

407 — Sky Sports Action

408 — Sky Sports Arena

409 — Sky Sports News

121 — Sky Sports Mix

With Rugby League being shown on both SKY Sports Action and Arena, my first question is "are those channels going to be in the same 'channel pack'?" Because if they are in different packs then I'll be forced to buy two packs just so I can watch RL. Haven't seen the answer to that one anywhere yet.
New Champ TV deal on 14:18 - Jul 10 with 1476 viewsNorthernr

New Champ TV deal on 13:56 - Jul 10 by nadera78

With Rugby League being shown on both SKY Sports Action and Arena, my first question is "are those channels going to be in the same 'channel pack'?" Because if they are in different packs then I'll be forced to buy two packs just so I can watch RL. Haven't seen the answer to that one anywhere yet.

Well I read it that those two and news and mix will all be included in whatever pack you have. So if you just buy Sky F1 you'll also get those.
New Champ TV deal on 15:44 - Jul 10 with 1434 viewsnadera78

New Champ TV deal on 14:18 - Jul 10 by Northernr

Well I read it that those two and news and mix will all be included in whatever pack you have. So if you just buy Sky F1 you'll also get those.

Really? I'm not seeing that. Maybe I've missed it, I hope so.
New Champ TV deal on 16:26 - Jul 10 with 1392 viewsNorthernr

New Champ TV deal on 15:44 - Jul 10 by nadera78

Really? I'm not seeing that. Maybe I've missed it, I hope so.

Mate I've no idea.
New Champ TV deal on 19:11 - Jul 10 with 1315 viewsdanehoop

New Champ TV deal on 16:26 - Jul 10 by Northernr

Mate I've no idea.

Just looking at the football premiership channel and still trying to work out how you can fill a dedicated channel for a whole year on 126 games of football. That is about 210 hours of live football in total, roughly 10% of the available viewing time (assuming it's on just 8 hours a day) then will be games, the rest will be filler and adverts.

It's like going into dominos pizza and ordering a large pizza and opening the box to see a half a cheese sandwich.

Never knowingly understood

New Champ TV deal on 01:31 - Jul 11 with 1232 viewsMistication92

Seems like they're scared of going the whole hog TBH. SS Action and Arena seem too full. They could easily find the demand for the niche sports by giving them their own channel. If no one signs up then stop buying those sports and focus on the popular ones.
New Champ TV deal on 01:34 - Jul 11 with 1226 viewsMistication92

Oh and that nightly PL debate show sounds awful. The last thing sport needs is more talking head programmes.
New Champ TV deal on 09:34 - Jul 11 with 1132 viewsnadera78

New Champ TV deal on 01:31 - Jul 11 by Mistication92

Seems like they're scared of going the whole hog TBH. SS Action and Arena seem too full. They could easily find the demand for the niche sports by giving them their own channel. If no one signs up then stop buying those sports and focus on the popular ones.

You've got this the wrong way round.

People who subscribe just for football don't pay enough money to fund the massive contracts SKY sign with the PL/FL/FA. It's those other people who subscribe because of the "niche sports" as you describe them that fill that funding gap because they generate more income for SKY than is paid out for the rights to those sports.

For example - a football fan could pay £18 per month to watch 126 Premier League games and all the other PL programmes. At the same time, a Rugby League fan would pay £18 for just 100 games and nothing extra (if Arena & Action are in different 'channel packs' it would actually be £22). If your main sport is RL/RU/cricket/tennis/etc/etc then your subscription to SKY actually subsidises football.
New Champ TV deal on 10:34 - Jul 11 with 1105 viewswombat

New Champ TV deal on 13:46 - Jul 6 by TacticalR

Football clubs are just TV studios, and it looks like they are on the way to being closed to live audiences.

its another step towards away fans not being wanted at games , easier for home clubs , less police needed , more season tickets being sold per season for home fans. home clubs win all ways round

Poll: which is your favouite foot

New Champ TV deal on 10:41 - Jul 11 with 1078 viewscolinallcars

New Champ TV deal on 10:34 - Jul 11 by wombat

its another step towards away fans not being wanted at games , easier for home clubs , less police needed , more season tickets being sold per season for home fans. home clubs win all ways round

Not just no away fans but no home fans either, with some computer generated crowd noise of people shouting 'oo are yer or in the case of Fulham fans, you are whom ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024