Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Grey Whistle Test 11:31 - Feb 23 with 10198 viewsHarrowRoadR

I know this should probably be on the Friday music thread but it's not!

I'm working on this this evening, a one off live from 2100 - 0000.
I'm really looking forward to it being an old hippie gal.

🌺🌾🌼🌸🌻 peace and love
Old Grey Whistle Test on 23:52 - Feb 23 with 3397 viewsflynnbo

Old Grey Whistle Test on 23:12 - Feb 23 by 2Thomas2Bowles

needs a bit more practice on the guitar.....

Playing up the road from me Sunday week.
Old Grey Whistle Test on 00:02 - Feb 24 with 3392 views2Thomas2Bowles

Neil Young should sue them for not getting shown

Toyah the terrible

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Old Grey Whistle Test on 00:03 - Feb 24 with 3383 views2Thomas2Bowles

Old Grey Whistle Test on 23:52 - Feb 23 by flynnbo

Playing up the road from me Sunday week.

where?

Old Grey Whistle Test on 00:06 - Feb 24 with 3378 viewsflynnbo

Old Grey Whistle Test on 00:03 - Feb 24 by 2Thomas2Bowles

where?

http://www.britinfo.net/events/event.php?id=5639606
Old Grey Whistle Test on 00:08 - Feb 24 with 3373 views2Thomas2Bowles

Old Grey Whistle Test on 00:06 - Feb 24 by flynnbo

http://www.britinfo.net/events/event.php?id=5639606

Thanks
£26 that's a steal

Old Grey Whistle Test on 09:11 - Feb 24 with 3281 viewsHarrowRoadR

Old Grey Whistle Test on 15:05 - Feb 23 by HantsR

Will we see you Harrow Road? ... gal in a hooped shirt and an Afghan coat?!

Sadly no, back room staff me. As I said to someone, this ageing hippie can no longer get down and dirty, I get down and stay down until I get help to get up! 😂

Good show though.
Old Grey Whistle Test on 09:34 - Feb 24 with 3257 views2Thomas2Bowles

Old Grey Whistle Test on 09:11 - Feb 24 by HarrowRoadR

Sadly no, back room staff me. As I said to someone, this ageing hippie can no longer get down and dirty, I get down and stay down until I get help to get up! 😂

Good show though.

Can only give it a 6, 2 out of 3 hours talking, a couple of has-beens promoting themselves,

Toyah was dreadful she was never punk just a pop artist and not a very good one.

Numan dressed in rags playing the same shite he did 30 years ago.

Danny Baker ... why ?

Old Grey Whistle Test on 09:53 - Feb 24 with 3236 viewsHarrowRoadR

Old Grey Whistle Test on 09:34 - Feb 24 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Can only give it a 6, 2 out of 3 hours talking, a couple of has-beens promoting themselves,

Toyah was dreadful she was never punk just a pop artist and not a very good one.

Danny Baker ... why ?

i do agree but I was just being nostalgic. Albert Lee still has a good voice but has a great face for radio! I new show in similar vein would be good instead of the crap that's on now. Gary Newman was dressed like something out of thriller but not as good.
Login to get fewer ads

Old Grey Whistle Test on 09:53 - Feb 24 with 3235 viewsDorse

And they still refuse to show Mollie Sugden's controversial nude art-house performance of proto drum and bass featuring Windsor Davies on vocals.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Old Grey Whistle Test on 10:08 - Feb 24 with 3219 views2Thomas2Bowles

Old Grey Whistle Test on 09:53 - Feb 24 by HarrowRoadR

i do agree but I was just being nostalgic. Albert Lee still has a good voice but has a great face for radio! I new show in similar vein would be good instead of the crap that's on now. Gary Newman was dressed like something out of thriller but not as good.

Albert Lee

So you go and buy a guitar then you get to see Lee play and you stick the guitar in the bin and look for a tambourine.

Old Grey Whistle Test on 20:53 - Feb 24 with 3104 viewsLythamR

Just finished watching and enjoyed it very much, really nice nostalgic trip down memory lane
Old Grey Whistle Test on 20:58 - Feb 24 with 3095 viewsBlackCrowe

Old Grey Whistle Test on 09:34 - Feb 24 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Danny Baker ... why ?

Will watch it tomorrow so will decide for myself of course, but i've always thought Danny Baker an absolute........

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Old Grey Whistle Test on 21:08 - Feb 24 with 3081 viewsbosh67

I know Bob well and it meant the world to return for this show. I sent him a text at midnight and he sent me one back at 3am. He's such a brilliant presenter and a big hero of mine.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Old Grey Whistle Test on 21:49 - Feb 24 with 3064 viewscolinallcars

Old Grey Whistle Test on 10:08 - Feb 24 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Albert Lee

So you go and buy a guitar then you get to see Lee play and you stick the guitar in the bin and look for a tambourine.

I'm a fifth rate guitar player. When I heard Country Boy by Albert years ago I felt like quitting. Then I watched a tuition DVD featuring him, and he used on Country Boy a little gizmo that repeats the last note effectively giving you an extra finger on your left hand. He's still absolutely sensational though and that track is a bitch to play.
Old Grey Whistle Test on 19:19 - Feb 25 with 2969 viewsMonahoop

Albert Lee is one of those forgotten guitar heroes. Many confuse him with Alvin Lee of Ten Years After fame.
Albert is an amazing player and guy. A few years back he turned up unannounced at an open mic session in a local pub in Monaghan. In walks this wizened long haired fella. "Here isn't that Albert Lee"? I nudged my mate. It was. He played and blew the place apart and jammed with many local musicians. No stuck up egos, just plain down to earth. What nice character.

A good show on Friday night on the whole. Surprised by the poll winner. Loved that programme when it was presented by Whispering Bob and Annie Nightingale. Great to see clips of Wilko and Alex Harvey on there, plus John Ottway. Bring eccentrics back to
music!!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Old Grey Whistle Test on 19:24 - Feb 25 with 2962 views2Thomas2Bowles

Go to 5 mins if you just want to see the guitar playing

[Post edited 25 Feb 2018 19:30]

Old Grey Whistle Test on 19:32 - Feb 25 with 2951 viewscolinallcars

I've only seen Albert once. I was walking past the Red Cow in Hammersmith one night when it was a country music pub. Hearing some fancy pickin' I went in and there he was. Absolutely brilliant. Shortly after that I believe he went to live and play in America with all sorts of great musicians including Jerry Reed, Emmylou Harris and Ricky Skaggs who I think did the original Country Boy.
Old Grey Whistle Test on 19:37 - Feb 25 with 2944 viewsShotKneesHoop

Old Grey Whistle Test on 19:32 - Feb 25 by colinallcars

I've only seen Albert once. I was walking past the Red Cow in Hammersmith one night when it was a country music pub. Hearing some fancy pickin' I went in and there he was. Absolutely brilliant. Shortly after that I believe he went to live and play in America with all sorts of great musicians including Jerry Reed, Emmylou Harris and Ricky Skaggs who I think did the original Country Boy.

Watched the link - he looked shit hot to me, but then, I'm just a Kunt ree boy.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Old Grey Whistle Test on 21:09 - Feb 25 with 2899 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Old Grey Whistle Test on 00:02 - Feb 24 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Neil Young should sue them for not getting shown

Toyah the terrible

A wonderful walk down memory lane, but a bit too much gas bagging with the likes of Toyah who in reality was just a very minor footnote.

Surprised by some of the omissions of performances that are still memorable. SAHB and Delilah, Edgar Winter and Frankenstein, Jesus and Mary Chain, Robin Tower (just a few days after I had seen their first live gig at the Marquee), Frankie Miller (Frankie Who? Frankie Fookin' Miller that's who!) and Be good to yourself, Rory Gallagher and Ghost Train, Vinegar Joe.

And that's notwithstanding the previously mentioned serious omissions.

As to the Wailers clip, the one that sticks in my mind is Concrete Jungle and not the fairly insipid Stir it up.

Still, while Saint Jools carries the torch, the grumpy old man is truly part of me these days and it was all so far superior to what is viewable or listenable to these days, even Stackridge.
Old Grey Whistle Test on 20:35 - Feb 26 with 2815 viewsBlackCrowe

Really enjoyed except Danny Baker and Toyah came across as a bit pleased with herself.

I never liked him back in the day but thought Numan, his daughter and his band were flipping amazing and stole the show.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 20:59]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Old Grey Whistle Test on 21:04 - Feb 26 with 2795 viewsonlyrinmoray

Old Grey Whistle Test on 21:08 - Feb 24 by bosh67

I know Bob well and it meant the world to return for this show. I sent him a text at midnight and he sent me one back at 3am. He's such a brilliant presenter and a big hero of mine.

I'm a big fan of whispering Bob as well He cost me a fortune listening to his Saturday night show He introduced me to so many great bands and artists I hadnt heard of, Then went out and bought the CD. I even used to copy his shows onto a blank CD because the show was moved to a ridiculous time

Patty Griffin,Paul Mounsey, Cry of Love, Drive by Truckers, Porcupine Tree, Fountains of Wayne, Jonny Lang Thea Gilmore and loads more
I realised why recently I hadn't bought any CDs lately because the BBC in their stupidity cut his show
Old Grey Whistle Test on 09:37 - Feb 27 with 2738 viewssmegma

Kiki Dee was first up and for 70 years old I thought she was superb. All the chats were a load of b0llocks, just give us more live bands. The four clips you had to vote for was ridiculous, it was obvious what was going to win. Where was SAHB, Zappa, Beefheart, Bowie, Roxy, New York Dolls etc.....As for Numan, the whole band wearing identical uniforms last seen in Mad Max. How rock roll? His daughter was a ☆ but her vocal seemed to be ' enhanced' by backing tapes. All in all I was disappointed.
Old Grey Whistle Test on 15:00 - Feb 27 with 2689 viewsrobith

Gary Numan brought back fond memories of about 5 years ago me and my mates were at All Tomorrow's Parties, the alt music festival in Butlins (before it crumbled in financial misplanning) and Numan was playing. My mate had this app on his phone and we got seshed up in the chalet, trying to play Are Friends Electric? on this keyboard app on his phone.

We did it for so long we missed Numan perform. Great days.

Edit: by eck it was 7 years ago. Hell of a line up though. I DJed at it as well. Top craic.

[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 15:02]
Old Grey Whistle Test on 17:04 - Feb 27 with 2643 viewsizlingtonhoop

Old Grey Whistle Test on 20:35 - Feb 26 by BlackCrowe

Really enjoyed except Danny Baker and Toyah came across as a bit pleased with herself.

I never liked him back in the day but thought Numan, his daughter and his band were flipping amazing and stole the show.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 20:59]

I can only guess how many people on the list they phoned before they got as far down it as (Punk and actress - who knew!?) Toyah.
Old Grey Whistle Test on 18:35 - Feb 27 with 2618 viewscolinallcars

Just downloaded the show. A rather tepid performance of Country Boy by Albert compared with some videos and live CDs I've seen and heard. Some good stuff in the show overall although I fast forwarded some of it.

I said to a friend “ I've got all of Albert Lee's records”

“You can't have” he said “ I've got some of 'em “
[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 18:38]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024