Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ollie 09:58 - Mar 23 with 22973 viewsGloucs_R

Where are we all at now with him?

He's playing a number of younger players
We're not getting relegated this season
He's got his own scouting team in place now
Ramsey has been brought into the first team set up
We've switched to 4-2-3-1 which works better for us

Do we stick with him for another year?

I've always wanted him to do well but he's pushed my over the egde this season a few times. Mainly with the whole 5 at the back system..and I don't care if Dave Mc says Ollie never wanted to play this system..he did, he stuck by it and we were mainly poor.

As long as he has an experienced coach in the dug out with him, I'd stick for the time being.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Ollie on 10:02 - Mar 23 with 7352 viewsNorthernr

If you'd said at the start of the season:

- We will finish midtable, as close to the play offs as we are to the relegation zone points wise.
- We will never go closer than six points to the bottom three, and even that will only be for half a week.
- The accounts for last season will show another £10m coming off the wage bill and the losses halved again.
- Another load of top earners, including Caulker, will be shifted on suggesting next season's accounts will be more of the same.
- Our home form will be of play-off standard.
- We will win five and draw one of eight games against the top four.
- We will beat the league leaders twice in four days at Loftus Road, including mega-money bags Wolves.
- We will absolute thrash Aston Villa at Villa Park and spend the whole night winding up Big Racist John.
- Seven players from our U23s will get first team minutes, several of them will establish themselves as first team regulars, three of them will score winning goals on their full debuts. Eze and Smyth will breakthrough and impress.
- Scowen will turn out to be an absolute find.
- Freeman will continue his form from last season all the way through this.

Everybody. Everybody would have said 'that'll do for me'.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Ollie on 10:07 - Mar 23 with 7322 viewsGloucs_R

So, you sticking by him now Clive?

Ollie on 10:07 - Mar 23 with 7319 viewsNorthernr

Ollie on 10:07 - Mar 23 by Gloucs_R

So, you sticking by him now Clive?

When was I not?
Ollie on 10:19 - Mar 23 with 7281 viewsstevec

He's done enough with what he has at his disposal to keep his job.

I do worry that whilst he should be pushing the board/Director of football for more money to spend, irrespective of our financial situation (that is NOT his job), he might roll over like last summer and do nothing about getting decent forward(s) in.

He is moulding something a little better than what we've had for the last three seasons, but the supporters are maybe getting slightly fed up with 'austerity' and voting with their feet.

Not sure potential 10,000 crowds next season and loitering round the wrong end of the table is sufficient for too much longer.
Ollie on 10:22 - Mar 23 with 7261 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ask again when we lose a couple of games, the haters will be back then...

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Ollie on 10:22 - Mar 23 with 7263 viewsBklynRanger

I really, really don't know. As Antti said on his thread, he could start tinkering and sabotage himself. Or we could all be entering an indian summer of joyous, purposeful football. It was easier when we were fcking dreadful.
Ollie on 10:33 - Mar 23 with 7225 viewsdaveB

He's done well this season, despite all the moans about him he found a way to get the best out of the players and when that stopped working he's changed it again so shown he can adapt. Given young players a chance, his record in the transfer market has been good and despite what is said by fans about him as a coach several players have improved under him.

Not sure what else he was supposed to do this season but he still seems to have a lot of people wanting him out and that won't change next season.
Ollie on 10:35 - Mar 23 with 7213 viewsToast_R

He's doing alot better which is all you can ask given the circs.
Login to get fewer ads

Ollie on 10:40 - Mar 23 with 7207 viewsdavman

As has been said before, the summer is certainly a time for reflection and the team (including Ollie) need to take a long hard look at themselves to assess what they have achieved and what didn't go so well.

If we're being honest, despite how low we all felt in the midst of those runs without a win, the away form, the pathetic cup form, the form in local derbies when Ollie was "really up for it", the form against Forest and the general "meh" about our strikers and the atmosphere at Loftus Road, Clive has it spot on.

He hasn't actually done a bad job and, through a more rosy lens, you could argue that he is, like he did the first time he was here, turning the tide against a fairly strong head wind.

Unless we capitulate again towards the end of this season like we did last season, I think he's done enough to keep going, hasn't he?

...and I am sure that probably contradicts posts from me earlier this season when I may have suggested that the right thing to do was for him to go in the summer, but that would have been just a reaction to some sh1tty performances and not looking across the season as a whole...

...finally, if we do go for an extension, no more than 18 months though as we can't afford another November payout! ;)

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Ollie on 10:42 - Mar 23 with 7200 viewsAntti_Heinola

I've got to admit, after Forest, I was of the opinion that whie I think he'd done a good job, he had done what we needed him to do and at the end of the season we should start looking elsewhere and part ways amicably.
But he's turned it around, and if this kind of form, even with a dip, continues to the end of the season, there's no way we can or should look to replace him. And I do love him - best possible outcome is Ollie doing a great job for years to come.

Bare bones.

Ollie on 10:44 - Mar 23 with 7193 viewsGloucs_R

Ollie on 10:07 - Mar 23 by Northernr

When was I not?

I didn't say you wasn't....I meant your post was clearly in the "Ollie stays" camp!

Ollie on 10:48 - Mar 23 with 7171 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

One more year I say, as long as he is fulfilling his brief on getting young'uns in the XI.

Keep an eye on Wild thing though. League 1 is a different heated container of marine vertebrates and I suspect some of our fans might go off him if Wycombe don't pull up trees.

Our job is to support whoever is in that dugout, and rein our expectations in. As North said, who wouldn't have taken mid / lower mid table and safety with a month to go
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 10:51]
Ollie on 10:52 - Mar 23 with 7157 viewskensalriser

Our home form is play off level? Steady on! We're currently 10th in the home table.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ollie on 10:54 - Mar 23 with 7141 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does 2T2B think? I wish he'd contribute to this subject.
Ollie on 10:58 - Mar 23 with 7137 viewsMytch_QPR

Ollie on 10:48 - Mar 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

One more year I say, as long as he is fulfilling his brief on getting young'uns in the XI.

Keep an eye on Wild thing though. League 1 is a different heated container of marine vertebrates and I suspect some of our fans might go off him if Wycombe don't pull up trees.

Our job is to support whoever is in that dugout, and rein our expectations in. As North said, who wouldn't have taken mid / lower mid table and safety with a month to go
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 10:51]

This.

I think we should start an 'Ian Holloway Is My Dad' movement - a sort of cult. We could be known as 'The Children Of Ollie'.

If the players are behind him, as they seem to be, then don't change it. A few clever (and inexpensive)* additions to the squad in the summer and we could have a cracking start to next season. That momentum could take us a long way - look how Reading over-achieved last season after a good start.

* alright, free.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Ollie on 10:59 - Mar 23 with 7134 viewsjohnhoop

Ollie on 10:19 - Mar 23 by stevec

He's done enough with what he has at his disposal to keep his job.

I do worry that whilst he should be pushing the board/Director of football for more money to spend, irrespective of our financial situation (that is NOT his job), he might roll over like last summer and do nothing about getting decent forward(s) in.

He is moulding something a little better than what we've had for the last three seasons, but the supporters are maybe getting slightly fed up with 'austerity' and voting with their feet.

Not sure potential 10,000 crowds next season and loitering round the wrong end of the table is sufficient for too much longer.

I believe that it is actually something called FFP that is the major constraint on our club spending any large sums of money.
Ollie on 11:05 - Mar 23 with 7116 viewsTHEBUSH

On Ollie´s current form he has to stay for next season.

He definitely needs a strong coach beside him, imo, and perhaps Ramsey is that man ?

I think Marc Bircham is ok and should stay, as he´s a good character, and all football teams need someone like that.

So I suppose we shouldn´t change much for next season
Ollie on 11:07 - Mar 23 with 7112 viewsNorthernr

Ollie on 10:52 - Mar 23 by kensalriser

Our home form is play off level? Steady on! We're currently 10th in the home table.

9 wins 5 draws at home - same as Derby who are fifth.
Ollie on 11:09 - Mar 23 with 7103 viewsNorthernr

Ollie on 10:59 - Mar 23 by johnhoop

I believe that it is actually something called FFP that is the major constraint on our club spending any large sums of money.

Of course. Holloway, Ferdinand, Fernandes, Penrice - they'd all dearly love to be spending money. Fernandes would chuck another load at it in a heartbeat. Simple fact, we're not allowed, and no amount of pushing by the manager is going to change that.
Ollie on 11:11 - Mar 23 with 7090 viewsNorthernr

Ollie on 10:22 - Mar 23 by BklynRanger

I really, really don't know. As Antti said on his thread, he could start tinkering and sabotage himself. Or we could all be entering an indian summer of joyous, purposeful football. It was easier when we were fcking dreadful.

If the last eight games go like they did last year then you have to have a serious think, but at the moment he's done everything that's been asked of him.

Plus there's all that other stuff...
- What other managers would want to come here and work under these constraints? Little money to spend, wage bill needs to come down?
- Would the money spent paying Holloway off not be better used helping him with another signing?
- Why do we have faith that the board would get the next appointment right given their record?
Ollie on 11:12 - Mar 23 with 7080 viewsterryb

To start with, I admit that I was opposed to appointing Ollie & I still think he was given the job for the wrong reasons. I also have many reservations on whether Ollie is the right man to take us forward in the long(ish) term.

However, what is beyond doubt, is that Ian Holloway has achieved every target that he was given. Therefore, he can't be dismissed as manager for failure & the club have a contract to honour.

It is also irrelevant as to whether supporters want him replaced. I can't imagine that the subject will be discussed at board level & neither should it be!

My only concern is that IF senior players are recruited in the summer, they will move above our youngsters in the pecking order. This would apply to whoever was in charge as there are few out there that trust in youth. Personally, I would be very happy to see the majority of Lumley, Furlong, Smyth, Manning, Eze & BOS playing regulary, with Oteh, Shodipo & Chair in contention. We would be inconsistent (what would be new there?), but at times we would be very exciting.

So, to summarise. Ian Holloway SHOULD (and will) be manager of Queens Park Rangers next season. I will have to learn to accept the quirks that he brings to that position!
Ollie on 11:14 - Mar 23 with 7080 viewsWestbourneR

As you may have noticed I have big issues with Ollie - always have done - but he’s really turned the corner in the last few weeks. Most importantly the formation.

He’s best when he keeps it simple and works his motivational magic. That’s what’s he’s done of late.

I’ve also been really impressed with how he’s integrated youth team players into the team as well. Even better with the new formation there could be real opportunities for BOS, Shodipo and Wheeler to shine.

So yeah it does all depend - keep this up and we’ll have finished very very strongly and he’ll have earned the right to stay in charge. But he needs to show he can establish proper solid consistency now.

If he doesn’t I’d use the summer to bring someone new in.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Ollie on 11:14 - Mar 23 with 7080 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ollie on 11:09 - Mar 23 by Northernr

Of course. Holloway, Ferdinand, Fernandes, Penrice - they'd all dearly love to be spending money. Fernandes would chuck another load at it in a heartbeat. Simple fact, we're not allowed, and no amount of pushing by the manager is going to change that.

There are still a disturbingly large amount of QPR fans who think this is still possible.

The grass is always greener.

Ollie on 11:18 - Mar 23 with 7065 viewspaulparker

I love the bloke but even I was critical and wanted a change after the Bristol city debacle
and some of the games we have seen some real hoofball lets not forget , Ollie seems to have 9 lives at times because when you think he is down an out he comes back with a new system or switches a player into a new position and it all changes again
it now looks like we have found our feet with 4 at the back and pavel bombing forward and all things considered we have done well without having an out and out striker
he deserves another season , but I hope the board back him a bit not just with some money but with the cost of tickets as the fanbase is dwindling at home
but it was good to see the support we had at fulham the result at villa must have boosted the support by another 800

we have to look to the postives , the day Ollie steps down the new man will have a base to work with after all we have seen

Hall before injury playing midfield or as a ball playing sweeper
Robinson from a wing back with no pace to a competent centre back
Furlong improving
Eze coming in as a number 10 and playing without fear
manning being a bombed out left winger in the youth team to a centre midfielder
Freeman going no where , a left winger with no pace to an all round attacking midfielder
Eze , coming in and giving us something different
the free signing of Scowen

the new scouting network with penrice and mel Johnston

if we can carry on with playing with more creativity and have a strong finish and a couple of decent signings we could be dark horses for next season (looking at you Lblock)

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ollie on 11:21 - Mar 23 with 7049 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ollie on 10:54 - Mar 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

What does 2T2B think? I wish he'd contribute to this subject.

Have a guess

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024