Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed 09:13 - Aug 28 with 5132 viewsRamseyR

Time for another music thread before the action starts

I've been fortunate enough to go to many gigs over the years and have seen many bands Looking back I realise how fortunate I was to see some legendary bands in what was a short life for either the band or the artist.

But what was the one who got away?

I still can't believe how I managed not to see this band. Even odder, when I saw most of the bands around the scene several times, and one of the best punk albums ever in Germfree Adolescents

X Ray Spex.

RIP Polly
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 09:28 - Aug 28 with 4220 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 09:34 - Aug 28 with 4200 viewscpgerber

I grew up in South Africa in the 80's, so never got to see ANY of the bands I loved. Moved to NL in 2000 and since then have been lucky to see a few of them (Cure, Depeche Mode, Pixies, Psychedelic Furs, Mission, Sisters of Mercy, etc) over here, but would have loved to see The Smiths and Billy Idol. The latter still plays, so hope he comes to our side of the world one day.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 09:42 - Aug 28 with 4176 viewsdanehoop

Great thread.

I have also been really lucky to see most of the bands that I wanted to live, helped too by doing a lot of stewarding in the eighties at Wembley. There are though 3 bands that I missed that I remain gutted by this day.

The Jam - Seen Weller with the Style Council and as a solo artist many times, but will always regret not seeing him at his very best as the angry young spokesman for a generation. I actually had ticket for a farewell concert at Brighton, but couldn't go in the end for family reasons. Had to give my ticket to a mate, still gutted now. Watched the Bingley Hall concert on YouTube last night and they were just an incredibly tight band, amazing to watch.

The Clash - just one that I never got around to seeing live, despite having started following them quite early on. The brother of a girlfriend when I was younger I think new the band at the time and was a huge fan. There was a chance of going to a concert around the time of London Calling and meeting the them after. Unfortunately it all fizzled out with her so never happened in the end. Every performance I've seen of them, they just look such a great live band who seemed to absolutely nail it. Genuinely gutted by that one.

Deus - amazing little known in the UK Belgian band that don't really fit any category besides being very alternative and original. I have managed to miss every time they have played a concert near me for the past 18 years. Hoping that they do at least one more tour next year so I can tick that one off.

Never knowingly understood

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 09:42 - Aug 28 with 4172 viewsMaggsinho

I used to go to watch my friend's band play religiously and they were starting to get some attention in the music press and getting some good gigs as support acts.

I hadn't missed a gig of theirs for month but for whatever reason I couldn't make one particular gig they were playing as the support act- the band they were supporting?

Nirvana.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 09:43 - Aug 28 with 4171 viewsted_hendrix

Never got to see Jimi as I was in the Army in West Germany saving the Western World from the Russian and East German hordes.

I left the Army September 1970, Jimi left this planet September 1970.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 09:45 - Aug 28 with 4166 viewsGalileo

The Jam - parents deemed me too young to go to the farewell gigs at Wembley arena. This despite have being to the FA cup final and replay earlier in the year which some might say was a tad more lively both inside and outside.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 09:52 - Aug 28 with 4150 viewsAirtomoreira

Managed to see the equally wonderful Shakti a few years after this at the Hammersmith Odeon (not bad considering I was living in Liverpool), but Mahavishnu was just before my concert going days started.

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 09:55 - Aug 28 with 4147 viewsLblock

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 09:45 - Aug 28 by Galileo

The Jam - parents deemed me too young to go to the farewell gigs at Wembley arena. This despite have being to the FA cup final and replay earlier in the year which some might say was a tad more lively both inside and outside.

This all day - would love to have seen them live and it's such a shame about the acrimony and a reunion never happened. Weller was absolutely superb every single time I've seen him live but been quite a few times now so I'll leave that there.

I would also have loved to have seen the original RatPack in action, Frank especially, such a cool bunch of Mo Fo's.

Finally, it won't surprise many, I'm gutted I never got to see the legend Frankie Knuckles play out live.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 10:49 - Aug 28 with 4115 viewsEsox_Lucius

I was at Hyde Park when the Stones played for free, just about every London based gig the original Who played after 1969, Glastonbury for the Pink Fairies set and Earls Court for the debut of The Wall so I have been very blessed with the bands I have seen but the two I missed out and regret the most are Bob Dylan at the IOW when my parents flat out refused to let me go as I was too young and the Friday night I turned up at Brunel University out of force of habit and saw that a band called SPOTS were playing. A quick phone call to a mate confirmed that he had never heard of them either so I headed to the Winning Post in Chertsey instead (probably The Heavy Metal Kids, they seemed to play it a lot back then). The abject horror of discovering the next day that SPOTS was an acronym for a band that were not allowed to play almost anywhere they tried has never left me as it would have been the only time I ever got to see the Sex Pistols.

The grass is always greener.

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 10:54 - Aug 28 with 4108 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Joy Division and The Clash

I saw so many bands and went to so many gigs back then but somehow missed the Clash and I was late to the party (albeit a gloomy one) for JD. I did make up for it by seeing New Order countless times but gutted I never saw them.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 11:03 - Aug 28 with 4102 viewsrobith

Probably quite niche, but Dave Berman's Silver Jews were playing at the Explosions in the Sky ATP I went to in 2007. I was quite hungover so sacked it off to watch the football in the sports bar with my mates.

He stopped playing music in 2008, came back with a beautiful album under Purple Mountains in 2019 which ending up being released the same week he took his own life. Really wish I'd made the effort to see him.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 11:04 - Aug 28 with 4101 viewsrobith

At Glastonbury 2010 I missed Stevie Wonder to watch LCD Soundsystem's "last ever" UK show. You can imagine my delight when they reformed three year later
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 11:31 - Aug 28 with 4068 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Had never seen Stevie Ray Vaughan play live so when a tour in late September 1990 was announced, I was on it for tickets at Hammersmith Odeon.

So a few weeks before the European tour he made a fatal mistake and jumped in a helicopter on a foggy evening and the rest is history.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 11:38 - Aug 28 with 4065 viewsmerseyhoop

Lucky to see loads of bands I love but ones i've missed or was too young for/did not apperciate at the time:

Talking Heads - from the first time I heard once in a lifetime I was hooked, thought about going to see David Byrne last year but guessed he would not play any Talking Heads songs, found out when it was too late that he was - big regret. Loved the videos as well.

Blondie - Band I got into as i got older and love the songs, god Debbie Harry was gorgeous.

Joy Division, The Smiths and The Jam - Did not appreciate them back in the 80s but sure do now. Seen Hooky & The Light last year doing Joy Division and New Order, superb. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight my favourite Jam song, seen From The Jam last year at the Cavern, brillant and was meant to see them again earlier this year, rescheduled for next year now, bloody covid missed quite a few gigs this year.

The Doors - split up well before I was of a music loving age, would of been amazing to see Jim Morrison live.

One of my favourite mash ups
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 12:41 - Aug 28 with 3981 viewsE17hoop

This lot...

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 12:49 - Aug 28 with 3968 viewscharmr

Arctic Monkeys a few years ago here in Baltimore at a small venue I could have walked to.

Still don’t know why I didn’t go.

Also like another poster finding out The SPOTS played at Brunel university the next day.

The Clash at the rainbow and having to leave after 3 songs to get the last train home. Would have walked home if I knew what I know now. They came on so late and i mentioned it to Mick Jones down at Rangers once and he just said sorry. Feel silly to this day for even bringing it up with him. I was actually asking if he knew about the London calling t shirt they had in the club shop. Said he didn’t. The idea for the shirt was mine, Francis then made it. In fact I think Someone connected to Elvis actually had the idea first.😃
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 13:01]
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 13:00 - Aug 28 with 3953 viewsRebalhoop

Lynyrd Skynyrd..what a band
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 13:06 - Aug 28 with 3941 viewsdanehoop

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 10:49 - Aug 28 by Esox_Lucius

I was at Hyde Park when the Stones played for free, just about every London based gig the original Who played after 1969, Glastonbury for the Pink Fairies set and Earls Court for the debut of The Wall so I have been very blessed with the bands I have seen but the two I missed out and regret the most are Bob Dylan at the IOW when my parents flat out refused to let me go as I was too young and the Friday night I turned up at Brunel University out of force of habit and saw that a band called SPOTS were playing. A quick phone call to a mate confirmed that he had never heard of them either so I headed to the Winning Post in Chertsey instead (probably The Heavy Metal Kids, they seemed to play it a lot back then). The abject horror of discovering the next day that SPOTS was an acronym for a band that were not allowed to play almost anywhere they tried has never left me as it would have been the only time I ever got to see the Sex Pistols.

My brother was a punk and went to the Pistols gig at Brunel. My parents wouldn't let me go
as I was too young ( I have always had a sneaking suspicion my brother nixed it by telling them he wasn't prepared to have his bratty little brother along).

Never knowingly understood

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 14:00 - Aug 28 with 3880 viewsKingstan

I had tickets for The Who put the Boot in concert at The Valley, Charlton in 1976. I was desperate to see the Sensational Alex Harvey Band who were one of the supporting acts, due to work commitments I had to give the tickets up. As it turned out, I never got to see SAHB and I still regret the lost opportunity.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 14:18 - Aug 28 with 3850 viewsQPRSteve

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 14:00 - Aug 28 by Kingstan

I had tickets for The Who put the Boot in concert at The Valley, Charlton in 1976. I was desperate to see the Sensational Alex Harvey Band who were one of the supporting acts, due to work commitments I had to give the tickets up. As it turned out, I never got to see SAHB and I still regret the lost opportunity.

I saw the SAHB a few times in the Greyhound, Always a great gig.

The one I regret missing is Alan Stivell. I was once on a bus in north London with a girlfriend who knew I liked him. Anyway as we approached a pub (whose name I forget) which always had bands on, she kept trying to distract me from looking out the window. The I saw it. A big advert for Alan Stivell. Only the gig was a few days earlier. She had known about it but had forgotten to tell me. Took me ages to forgive her.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 14:21 - Aug 28 with 3846 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 11:04 - Aug 28 by robith

At Glastonbury 2010 I missed Stevie Wonder to watch LCD Soundsystem's "last ever" UK show. You can imagine my delight when they reformed three year later

He misses everyone so don’t feel bad about it.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 14:22 - Aug 28 with 3844 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wish my life and Johnny Cash’s overlapped for longer.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 14:34 - Aug 28 with 3831 viewsKingstan

I saw Alan Stivell at The Leas Cliff Hall, Folkestone in 1979 and he was magical! I'd rather have seen SAHB though so I'm envious of you.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 14:41]
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 14:39 - Aug 28 with 3827 viewsKingstan

Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 14:18 - Aug 28 by QPRSteve

I saw the SAHB a few times in the Greyhound, Always a great gig.

The one I regret missing is Alan Stivell. I was once on a bus in north London with a girlfriend who knew I liked him. Anyway as we approached a pub (whose name I forget) which always had bands on, she kept trying to distract me from looking out the window. The I saw it. A big advert for Alan Stivell. Only the gig was a few days earlier. She had known about it but had forgotten to tell me. Took me ages to forgive her.

I saw Alan Stivell at the Leas Cliff Hall, Folkestone in 1979. Although his music was magical, I would rather have seen The SAHB.
Bands that you wished you got to see but missed on 08:49 - Aug 30 with 3661 viewsBlackCrowe

Marley, Clash, ACDC with Bon Scott, Sinatra, The Meters, Johnny Thunders and Heartbreakers, Little Feat, Sly and the family stone....and there's the ones off the top of my head.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024