Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one 20:49 - Feb 3 with 5229 viewsdachiltern

This says it all really ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55922560
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 23:08 - Feb 3 with 3921 viewstimcocking

Is and always will be a complete pr!ck (obviously Lee Mason, not you!).
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 14:32 - Feb 4 with 3680 viewsfrancisbowles

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 23:08 - Feb 3 by timcocking

Is and always will be a complete pr!ck (obviously Lee Mason, not you!).

The thing is, Dean was not sending him off until the VAR ref asked him to view the video replay. After viewing it Dean still looked unsure of what the video ref had seen but then after what seemed like an explanation, he brandished the red.

Technically, if Dean thought there was contact he had to give a pen and a red as no attempt was made to play the ball. The fact that he didn't really attempt to foul but may have just caught his foot accidentally is bad luck within the current, stupid, rule.

This rule as well as hand ball and offside are just plain ridiculous at present.
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 14:56 - Feb 4 with 3636 viewsPinnerPaul

Sooooooo you don't like the law so you request that the refs don't do your games anymore?

Allow teams to pick and choose refs and you're on a slippery slope.

Also, just supposing you accept Dean and Mason HAVE made errors in Southampton games, is it fair that they don't ref their games anymore and if so, does that mean that the players who managed to lose NINE nil, don't play for them anymore, including the idiot that got himself sent off after 2 minutes of his debut????!!!!!!!!!
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 14:58 - Feb 4 with 3626 viewsPinnerPaul

Don't normally argue with you over ref decisions but what have they actually done wrong, apart from apply the law?

Disagree with the laws? Yep, fair enough but any ref is going to apply the laws or else face the sack!
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:02 - Feb 4 with 3619 viewsstowmarketrange

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 14:58 - Feb 4 by PinnerPaul

Don't normally argue with you over ref decisions but what have they actually done wrong, apart from apply the law?

Disagree with the laws? Yep, fair enough but any ref is going to apply the laws or else face the sack!

Was there a handball in the build up to the tackle that should’ve meant a free kick to Southampton rather than the red card to the saints player?
Or did he just look at the bad tackle and forget about the handball incident?
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:11 - Feb 4 with 3605 viewsPinnerPaul

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:02 - Feb 4 by stowmarketrange

Was there a handball in the build up to the tackle that should’ve meant a free kick to Southampton rather than the red card to the saints player?
Or did he just look at the bad tackle and forget about the handball incident?

He wouldn't have 'forgotten' about any handball, if he thought it was he would have given it.

Didn't even warrant a mention on MOTD and didn't notice it on the highlights so can't have been glaringly obvious?
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:21 - Feb 4 with 3589 viewsNorthernr

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 14:56 - Feb 4 by PinnerPaul

Sooooooo you don't like the law so you request that the refs don't do your games anymore?

Allow teams to pick and choose refs and you're on a slippery slope.

Also, just supposing you accept Dean and Mason HAVE made errors in Southampton games, is it fair that they don't ref their games anymore and if so, does that mean that the players who managed to lose NINE nil, don't play for them anymore, including the idiot that got himself sent off after 2 minutes of his debut????!!!!!!!!!

Dangerous precedent if you start letting clubs blackball referees. Do I think we should be made to suffer Woolmer or Stroud again? No, but then nor should the rest of the division. Do I think there are referees we seem to get more out of (Andy Davies, Geoff Eltringham) and others we seem to geta rough ride from (Tony Harrington, David Webb) yeh. But it's not for clubs to be picking and choosing referees.

In 25 years of going to Rangers the only two I genuinely thought it was pretty obvious had a thing about us and should be taken off our games were Rob Styles and Andy Hall.

I also didn't think Lee Mason should be doing us when we were in the relegation battle with Bolton given he'd excused himself from doing Bolton games because he was from there, his family were season ticket holders, his brother had played for them, and he was a fan. If he didn't feel able to do Bolton games impartially, he shouldn't have been doing games directly affecting them either.

In general though, dodgy path to start down.
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:24 - Feb 4 with 3578 viewsstowmarketrange

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:11 - Feb 4 by PinnerPaul

He wouldn't have 'forgotten' about any handball, if he thought it was he would have given it.

Didn't even warrant a mention on MOTD and didn't notice it on the highlights so can't have been glaringly obvious?

They didn’t show it much on Sky the following morning,but according to 5live it might’ve brushed against his arm as he controlled it,but because it wasn’t in the area,maybe it didn’t get reviewed properly.
Login to get fewer ads

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:25 - Feb 4 with 3579 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agree with that norf and pinner.

I would say that if Lee Mason is a Prem standard ref, so am I. Terrible referee and has been for years. Inexplicable he's still at that level. But then, at least he's not doing us.

I think Dean's a pretty good ref overall.

Bare bones.

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:26 - Feb 4 with 3575 viewsTheChef

Out of interest how are refs selected for games - are they appointed or just drawn out of a hat?

I am assuming the former.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:27 - Feb 4 with 3572 viewsPinnerPaul

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:21 - Feb 4 by Northernr

Dangerous precedent if you start letting clubs blackball referees. Do I think we should be made to suffer Woolmer or Stroud again? No, but then nor should the rest of the division. Do I think there are referees we seem to get more out of (Andy Davies, Geoff Eltringham) and others we seem to geta rough ride from (Tony Harrington, David Webb) yeh. But it's not for clubs to be picking and choosing referees.

In 25 years of going to Rangers the only two I genuinely thought it was pretty obvious had a thing about us and should be taken off our games were Rob Styles and Andy Hall.

I also didn't think Lee Mason should be doing us when we were in the relegation battle with Bolton given he'd excused himself from doing Bolton games because he was from there, his family were season ticket holders, his brother had played for them, and he was a fan. If he didn't feel able to do Bolton games impartially, he shouldn't have been doing games directly affecting them either.

In general though, dodgy path to start down.

Agree with all that
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:29 - Feb 4 with 3568 viewsNorthernr

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:25 - Feb 4 by Antti_Heinola

Agree with that norf and pinner.

I would say that if Lee Mason is a Prem standard ref, so am I. Terrible referee and has been for years. Inexplicable he's still at that level. But then, at least he's not doing us.

I think Dean's a pretty good ref overall.

Didn't Clattenburg do a rather ill-advised tell-all on what he really thought of the Prem refs after he left, where he basically said Mason was crap but was a good lad, reliable and his "face fit".

(If simmo resists arriving on this thread with a joke about his enormous fat head then he's slipping).
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:32 - Feb 4 with 3559 viewsPinnerPaul

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:26 - Feb 4 by TheChef

Out of interest how are refs selected for games - are they appointed or just drawn out of a hat?

I am assuming the former.

Appointed.

In the EFL they work a 'pool' system - 3 refs and 6 ARs in a pool, so they all work together all the time.

Based on marks, logistics (esp in Covid times), development etc etc etc

They DO have to declare any 'interest' in a team, so obviously wouldn't be appointed to their games. As Clive implies, whether that is policed in relation to results that might affect 'their' team is another matter!
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:37 - Feb 4 with 3546 viewsPinnerPaul

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:29 - Feb 4 by Northernr

Didn't Clattenburg do a rather ill-advised tell-all on what he really thought of the Prem refs after he left, where he basically said Mason was crap but was a good lad, reliable and his "face fit".

(If simmo resists arriving on this thread with a joke about his enormous fat head then he's slipping).

Yes he did.

Read any of the referee autobiographies and its clear, its just like any other workplace - some refs get on better than others, while there is the odd bit of outright hostility!

Reason number 253 why VAR doesn't work - if a bloke you can't stand at work comes out and basically says, 'Clive, I think you got that piece totally wrong mate" are you

a) Going to shrug your shoulders and think 'Yep, fair enough' or

b) Find a reason to criticise his work at a later stage or at least get him 'back' in some way.

Given you have to have a certain amount of self belief/arrogance to get where they are, I'm not having that all these 'reviews' of each other's decisions are great for working relationships or the actual decisions!
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 16:02 - Feb 4 with 3491 viewsLongsufferingR

Agree that clubs should have no say over who referees their games but the basic issue here is that the laws and interpretations are constantly being adjusted to suit VAR, but the effect has been to completely ruin the game of football. Used to be the simplest of games and people would only make jokes about not understanding the offside law. Now nobody understands offside, handball, penalties, cards or any other aspect.

Those advancing VAR have the death of the game on their hands.
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 16:05 - Feb 4 with 3481 viewsPinnerPaul

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 16:02 - Feb 4 by LongsufferingR

Agree that clubs should have no say over who referees their games but the basic issue here is that the laws and interpretations are constantly being adjusted to suit VAR, but the effect has been to completely ruin the game of football. Used to be the simplest of games and people would only make jokes about not understanding the offside law. Now nobody understands offside, handball, penalties, cards or any other aspect.

Agree.

Offside the perfect example.

No way on earth can anyone judge 'level' with the naked eye - very rare that two athletes moving at speed are ever going to have all their body parts 'level' in any case.

So it was that 'benefit of the doubt' went to the attacker - now with VAR, 'level' doesn't exist and nor does the technology to decide EXACTLY when a team mate has made the pass, but still we get those ridiculous lines and decisions.
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 16:42 - Feb 4 with 3419 viewsQPR_John

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 16:02 - Feb 4 by LongsufferingR

Could not agree more. As you say it was always a simple game. Only the football authorities could introduce technology and make things worse. Every other sport seems to have handled it better than football
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 22:53 - Feb 6 with 3167 viewspaulparker

The chuckle brothers back at it again today at Fulham vs West Ham

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 23:18 - Feb 6 with 3098 viewsstowmarketrange

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 22:53 - Feb 6 by paulparker

The chuckle brothers back at it again today at Fulham vs West Ham

I’ll see your chuckle brothers and raise you the clown we had today.
How he saw a foul in the 75th minute when dykes caught a dozy defender in possession is beyond me.
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 23:21 - Feb 6 with 3089 viewsManinBlack

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 15:32 - Feb 4 by PinnerPaul

Appointed.

In the EFL they work a 'pool' system - 3 refs and 6 ARs in a pool, so they all work together all the time.

Based on marks, logistics (esp in Covid times), development etc etc etc

They DO have to declare any 'interest' in a team, so obviously wouldn't be appointed to their games. As Clive implies, whether that is policed in relation to results that might affect 'their' team is another matter!

Surely as a matter of principle if a ref could not officiate a match where his favourite team is playing then he should not referee matches involving their rivals?

If a ref supports Man Utd then he should not be in charge of games involving City, Everton or Liverpool because one assumes he wants them to lose. But I do get the feeling the ref is OK to be in the middle for clubs he doesn't like and it is only the clubs you follow where you can't get involved.

In which case if I was a ref I would tell them I support Fulham so I could be free to ref Rangers and give them all the decisions!!!
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 23:25]
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 23:24 - Feb 6 with 3081 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 23:18 - Feb 6 by stowmarketrange

I’ll see your chuckle brothers and raise you the clown we had today.
How he saw a foul in the 75th minute when dykes caught a dozy defender in possession is beyond me.

Who cares about a dodgy decision in a low profile game?

Who decides what a low profile game is?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 23:25 - Feb 6 with 3073 viewsstowmarketrange

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 23:21 - Feb 6 by ManinBlack

Surely as a matter of principle if a ref could not officiate a match where his favourite team is playing then he should not referee matches involving their rivals?

If a ref supports Man Utd then he should not be in charge of games involving City, Everton or Liverpool because one assumes he wants them to lose. But I do get the feeling the ref is OK to be in the middle for clubs he doesn't like and it is only the clubs you follow where you can't get involved.

In which case if I was a ref I would tell them I support Fulham so I could be free to ref Rangers and give them all the decisions!!!
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 23:25]

Graham Poll was supposed to be a Rangers fan,but it didn’t stop him from taking a few of our games.Including one game when he sent off an opposing player very early for deliberate handball,and I think he let us take the penalty twice as the first one was saved.Was it against Watford?
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 08:34 - Feb 7 with 2890 viewsdistortR

Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 23:25 - Feb 6 by stowmarketrange

Graham Poll was supposed to be a Rangers fan,but it didn’t stop him from taking a few of our games.Including one game when he sent off an opposing player very early for deliberate handball,and I think he let us take the penalty twice as the first one was saved.Was it against Watford?

i'm thinking the film 'internal ffairs' - the Korean one, not richard gere (Who he?)
We train our kids to infiltrate the upper strata of refereeing, football domination will be ours...........Mwah hah HAH!
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 10:10 - Feb 7 with 2754 viewsQPRSteve

I wonder what is record was like when reffing Chelsea games?
Lee Mason and the other arrogant one on 11:11 - Feb 7 with 2661 viewsterryb

He refereed our games because he didn't declaree himself as a Rangers fan, whereas one of his fellow officials did (sorry, his name has escaped me).

The sending off against Watford was not debatable as the defender made a goalkeeping save on the goal line. It may be that my memory is wrong, but I'm fairly sure the penalty was only taken once & we scored easily from it. I think this is popular fictional folklore regarding a "disputed sending off & a retaken penalty".

I'm sure Clive's match report would answer this, but I can't remember which year it was!

Poll also was our ref in other matches.

EDIT: This match was in season 04-05 & was the season before Clive's reports are available in the Features section! Rangers won the game 3-1.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 11:32]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024