Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Teams you follow due to computer games 09:22 - Nov 6 with 2876 viewsslmrstid

Starting this as a new thread rather than setting off on a tangent from the World's Oldest Clubs thread...

I'm 99.9% certain I am not the only person on this forum who follows other teams from around the world due to stumbling across them in computer games.

So 'fess up - who do you follow that you came across in a computer game and why?

There's 2 for me really:-

- Genoa - started a save game as them once on Actua Soccer 3 as they were one of the better rated teams in Serie B and I had a bit of a thing about Italian football at the time anyway as an offshoot from the days of Football Italia etc.

- Dundee - similar - played as them on FIFA 2000, sweeping all before me (although I did have the difficulty on easy level...)

Both teams that I now follow their results week to week, own shirts for, and would love to get to watch them play for real one day.

Even though they're both a bit crap this year...
Teams you follow due to computer games on 09:58 - Nov 6 with 2832 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Think I mentioned this before, but I became a fan of Thor Akureryi of Iceland after a massive Football Manager session with them and wrote to the club through Twitter messenger asking how I could get a shirt and they became really interested in why I was interested and it turned out that the owner of the Twitter account was also the chairman.

Anyway, got an open invitation to go and meet him in Iceland which I’m yet to take up.
Teams you follow due to computer games on 10:45 - Nov 6 with 2790 viewsToast_R

Teams you follow due to computer games on 09:58 - Nov 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Think I mentioned this before, but I became a fan of Thor Akureryi of Iceland after a massive Football Manager session with them and wrote to the club through Twitter messenger asking how I could get a shirt and they became really interested in why I was interested and it turned out that the owner of the Twitter account was also the chairman.

Anyway, got an open invitation to go and meet him in Iceland which I’m yet to take up.

Looks fresh don't it?

Big foot print to develop and all singing and standing 25K multi use hospitality hub.

[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 10:46]
Teams you follow due to computer games on 11:15 - Nov 6 with 2758 viewsEsox_Lucius

I bought a black football shirt with white trim from the sports shop that used to be down Coldharbour Lane and adopted Dundee United as my second team. Later, due to HMHB influence, I also passively followed Dukla Prague & Honved.

The grass is always greener.

Teams you follow due to computer games on 11:30 - Nov 6 with 2736 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Teams you follow due to computer games on 10:45 - Nov 6 by Toast_R

Looks fresh don't it?

Big foot print to develop and all singing and standing 25K multi use hospitality hub.

‘We’ll never be mastered, by no, by no Vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúrslyklakippuhringurinn bastard’
Teams you follow due to computer games on 17:24 - Nov 6 with 2623 viewsqpr_1968

used to love playing talin on the old mega drive football back in the 90's.
my son could'nt get the controls off me.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Teams you follow due to computer games on 18:12 - Nov 6 with 2595 viewsdenhamhoop2

Dangerous Darkies from South Africa on Sensible Soccer sadly no longer exist
Teams you follow due to computer games on 18:28 - Nov 6 with 2582 viewsJogo

Teams you follow due to computer games on 10:45 - Nov 6 by Toast_R

Looks fresh don't it?

Linford Christie stadium?
Teams you follow due to computer games on 19:14 - Nov 6 with 2565 viewspeterlund_dk

QPR.

Played Championship Manager in the early 90's on my Amiga and my tactical skills were so lacking that I needed a team with a proven goalscorer - ie. Sir Les and QPR.

Here I am 30 years later, spending my Saturday evening watching a credit card sized stream with no commentary on a betting website.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 19:19]
Login to get fewer ads

Teams you follow due to computer games on 20:22 - Nov 6 with 2507 viewsDiscodroids

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Teams you follow due to computer games on 00:39 - Nov 7 with 2407 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Teams you follow due to computer games on 18:12 - Nov 6 by denhamhoop2

Dangerous Darkies from South Africa on Sensible Soccer sadly no longer exist

PC gone mad ™️
Teams you follow due to computer games on 00:58 - Nov 7 with 2402 viewsFredManRave

Teams you follow due to computer games on 20:22 - Nov 6 by Discodroids

Isn't that a Green "distribution" related image?!

One of your many classic posts, mate.

How's the autobiography coming along?! Plenty of time to compose it down there on Leigh-On-Sea and I swear I'd be there for the book signing and the pre-launch party...

You and Jo arriving at said launch. Don't know if you remember but this was one of my favourite "photos" of you and Jo!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Teams you follow due to computer games on 06:52 - Nov 8 with 2212 viewscpgerber

Atletico Madrid and to a lesser extend, PSV Eindhoven (although I had to scrap that when I came to live in Amsterdam). There was an 80's coin operated arcade game. Only 8 teams you could choose from: Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Napoli, Inter Milan, AC Milan, PSV Eindhoven and Bayern Munich. Was in the time when English clubs were banned from Europe. I never got past the 3rd or 4th game. Always played with Atletico because I like the shirt most.

P.S. little self promotion: I am the author of "Italian Football Manager" and the follow-up, "Allenatore - IFM2", if you ever stumbled upon that on the internet!
Teams you follow due to computer games on 09:45 - Nov 8 with 2161 viewsMrSheen

From an older generation, so picked up random teams to follow from the Subbuteo catalogue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Coast_Ebusua_Dwarfs

My old man, said be a Venomous Vipers fan...

Interesting story here, the Dwarfs' Japanese striker! Born in Japan but raised in Holland, then found it hard to fit in when the family returned to Japan. Hardly surprising given the bluntness of the Dutch.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/pioneering-morishita-targets-japan-call-up-ghana
Teams you follow due to computer games on 10:09 - Nov 8 with 2139 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Also from an older generation, so picked a lot of 'second' teams from Shoot's League Ladders.

Plymouth, Mansfield and Torquay always managed to get multiple promotions in my joint Subbuteo/League Ladders tournaments. They went on for months, summers, years.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Teams you follow due to computer games on 10:34 - Nov 8 with 2118 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024