Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DUNE (2021) (Part One) 11:43 - Nov 9 with 3805 viewsrobith

Any fans on the board?

I've been to see it twice already. A truly stunning cinematic experience, and emphasis on experience. Some minor pacing quibbles, but I thought it was astonishing, borderline masterpiece.

I serve only one master, and his name is Shai-Hulud
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 11:52 - Nov 9 with 3764 viewsrobith

More importantly, what's your favourite Sarduakar remix? This is mine

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 11:54 - Nov 9 with 3756 viewsDiscodroids

Love the book and love the David Lynch Film of 1984. The heart plug scene with Baron Harkonnen spinning around in his fat suspension suit was one of the greatest i've ever seen in cinematic history.

The fact Denis Villeneuve of 'blade runner 2049' is directing makes me want to see it even more.

I'm going this weekend and i can't wait.

May thy knife chip and shatter!

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 11:55 - Nov 9 with 3754 viewsToast_R

I'm going to go see it next week at the iMax. I've heard its quite spectacular.

Got into Dune from the Video game many years ago. Was a great game.
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 11:59 - Nov 9 with 3737 viewsDiscodroids

One for the kids...

Old skool rave tune sampling fear is the mind killer..

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:06 - Nov 9 with 3720 viewsrobith

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 11:54 - Nov 9 by Discodroids

Love the book and love the David Lynch Film of 1984. The heart plug scene with Baron Harkonnen spinning around in his fat suspension suit was one of the greatest i've ever seen in cinematic history.

The fact Denis Villeneuve of 'blade runner 2049' is directing makes me want to see it even more.

I'm going this weekend and i can't wait.

May thy knife chip and shatter!

Disco, you're going to love it. Really reminded me of that 70s/80s golden age of sci fi period where people weren't afraid to make a film set in some crazy set up and take its subject dead serious
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:09 - Nov 9 with 3709 viewsrobith

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 11:55 - Nov 9 by Toast_R

I'm going to go see it next week at the iMax. I've heard its quite spectacular.

Got into Dune from the Video game many years ago. Was a great game.

Don't know how technically minded you are, but OpenRA (an opensource fan made remake of Red Alert) has a Dune mod where they've remade the game with modern graphics and AI
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:22 - Nov 9 with 3679 viewsDiscodroids

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:06 - Nov 9 by robith

Disco, you're going to love it. Really reminded me of that 70s/80s golden age of sci fi period where people weren't afraid to make a film set in some crazy set up and take its subject dead serious

Cheers mate, i know you loved the first film as well. Reason i haven't see it yet is that noone will go with me so i will have to go on my own Saturday.

Favourite characters include Duncan Idaho and the Mentat Piter de Vries, looking forward to see how they are played in this new film.

Such a sad git.. i'm obsessed with the Frank Herbert book and bought a Fremen Crysknife on a plinth made of cheap injection moulded plastic from 'Comic showcase' in Neal street covent garden in 1990 for £40. Still in the box so it might be worth a couple of quid now... Sad...
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 12:23]

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:25 - Nov 9 with 3672 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Bless the Maker and his Water!

I'm a massive Dune fan - my first experience was seeing Lynch's flawed version as a kid on my sister's VHS and it blew me away. This led to the books and eventually even a tattoo. I knew deep down they'd never successfully translate the book to film (SyFy made a decent attempt at a mini series which was more faithful to the books but marred by horrible special effects and some dodgy acting). When this film was announced I groaned inwardly... until I discovered Denis Villeneuve was directing. IMHO the man hasn't made a rubbish film - I loved his vision in BR2049. Waited patiently to see this in the cinema (fck WB and their attempt to stream it instead, so glad that didn't happen) - and it did not disappoint a bit. It really does need to be seen on the big screen for the full experience though...

And my favourite Sardaukar mix is this of course:

[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 12:29]
Login to get fewer ads

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:27 - Nov 9 with 3663 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:06 - Nov 9 by robith

It was some effort to make everything look so unique and fresh despite it being copied so many times in other films wasn't it? Dune has the unique position of being able to say hang on - all these films borrowed from our source material, the book, in the first place. It's no secret for example, that Alien rose from the ashes of Jodorowsky's abandoned Dune project...
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:36 - Nov 9 with 3630 viewsstevec

Christ, I feel like a philistine saying this but it felt like the longest two and a half hours of my life and I’ve witnessed JFH putting on more than a few shows at LR.

I suspect it helps if you’ve read the book and know where part 2 is heading but I felt somewhat let down watching half a film though it says that in the title.

My long gone dad used to say one of finest books he’s ever read, my bad I guess.
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 13:03 - Nov 9 with 3561 viewsbollockchops

i went and watched it last week in Port Solent but ive never seen the original with Sting that said it was the first time ive been to the cinema since the epic Shaun the Sheep Movie so you can tell i go every ten years or so, a bag of munchies from the foyer £3.50 next time itll probably be about £17.50
i was sold this film that it was like Star Wars which it isnt,its more like Lord of the Rings that said it wasted an afternoon ill give it a 7
( its longer than 3 hours)
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 13:14 - Nov 9 with 3546 viewsHAYESBOY

Thought it was good. I am a fan of Lynch's version.

Part 2 has been greenlit so will be out sometime 2023.

Smells like a trout farm in here

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 13:21 - Nov 9 with 3536 viewsEmpireStateRanger

I’m not sure about the UK, but in the States it’s available to stream on HBO Max, which I think is unwise. This movie deserves to be watched in theaters. What an experience!
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 13:27 - Nov 9 with 3520 viewsToast_R

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:09 - Nov 9 by robith

Don't know how technically minded you are, but OpenRA (an opensource fan made remake of Red Alert) has a Dune mod where they've remade the game with modern graphics and AI

Thanks. I will have a look just out of curiosity. Only in my wildest dreams would I have time to have a proper session and play those games now, not with two young kids in the house.
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 13:44 - Nov 9 with 3476 viewsLazyFan

I found the cinematic experience was exceptional in photography and special effects. And you will find that's what everyone is saying.

However, what they don't say is that the plot was badly handled and essentially it's boring from a story perspective. Let me be clear, Dune the story is great, this adaptation of the story is not.

The Lynch version for the plot in my view is far better and that got slatted at the time for being boring, but it was not that bad.

Maybe the plot will be better in part 2, but it's too slooooooow and tedious, despite some quality acting drags on for way too long. Did I mention its slow and boring?

I really usually like long films, especially sci-fi or fantasy, who would not want more of the greatness? I can sit through easterns like Seven Samurai no problem. A classic.

This Dune was a waste of my time.

zzzzzzzzzz

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 14:00 - Nov 9 with 3449 viewsrobith

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 13:03 - Nov 9 by bollockchops

i went and watched it last week in Port Solent but ive never seen the original with Sting that said it was the first time ive been to the cinema since the epic Shaun the Sheep Movie so you can tell i go every ten years or so, a bag of munchies from the foyer £3.50 next time itll probably be about £17.50
i was sold this film that it was like Star Wars which it isnt,its more like Lord of the Rings that said it wasted an afternoon ill give it a 7
( its longer than 3 hours)

it's shorter than Bond lol
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 14:33 - Nov 9 with 3393 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I want to see it too.

I liked the film but gave up on the books, The Expanse/Peter Hamilton is more my Sci-fi reading.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 14:42 - Nov 9 with 3382 viewskensalriser

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 11:59 - Nov 9 by Discodroids

One for the kids...

Old skool rave tune sampling fear is the mind killer..

Lovely bloke, Ian B.

Now sadly playing at the rave in the sky along with Frankie and all the others gone too soon.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 14:53 - Nov 9 with 3361 viewsOutWestR

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 12:36 - Nov 9 by stevec

Christ, I feel like a philistine saying this but it felt like the longest two and a half hours of my life and I’ve witnessed JFH putting on more than a few shows at LR.

I suspect it helps if you’ve read the book and know where part 2 is heading but I felt somewhat let down watching half a film though it says that in the title.

My long gone dad used to say one of finest books he’s ever read, my bad I guess.

I'm sort of with you on this. I didn't mind it, but for me it was a long way off excellent (the first 40 minutes seemed to consist of shots of different spaceships landing and taking off )

Very good supporting cast, most of which didn't have a great deal to do. Will be interesting to see if Timmy can carry the next film as he's lacking in screen presence.
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 17:28 - Nov 9 with 3198 viewsPunteR

It is very slow paced for large sections of the film but I enjoyed it. I immersed myself into the world for a few hours. Impressive set pieces and action scenes.
Really good Sci fi film.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 17:44 - Nov 9 with 3179 viewsCiderwithRsie

As a fan of the book I thought it was pretty much exactly how I imagined it. I thought the actors playing Paul's parents especially good.

I did wonder how non-fans of the book would cope with the political shenanigans. I'd also say that when I read the book the opening chapters were challenging the rip-roaring desert adventure stuff is mostly in what will be part 2.

Intrigued to read that Villeneuve wants to make it as a trilogy with Part 3 being the first of the book sequels (Dune Messiah)

By coincidence I saw the film just after having caught up with the BBC documentary series Once Upon A Time In Iraq which affected the way I watched the film in ways I still haven't quite processed. The scenes of the Harkonnen/Sardaukar invasion had a certain resemblance to the night sky over Baghdad in 2003, and a scene with Atreides prisoners kneeling with their hands tied could have been straight out of the ISIS part of the documentary. I wonder how Villeneuve will handle the potentially tricky subject of Jihad in Parts 2 and 3.
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 10:05 - Nov 10 with 2964 viewsrobith

If you're a fan of Mr Villeneuve, this of him breaking down the Gom Jabbar scene is amazing

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 11:48 - Nov 10 with 2890 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 10:05 - Nov 10 by robith

If you're a fan of Mr Villeneuve, this of him breaking down the Gom Jabbar scene is amazing

Thanks for that mate. I think one criticism of the film is that while it's great for those who know the book or even just the first movie for others who have no knowledge of the universe it can be hard to follow. However, I've chatted to some people who fall into this bracket who still liked it for what it was.
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 18:24 - Nov 11 with 2632 viewsthemodfather

i read all the first 6 books, after that they got silly imo......very diffeicult films to make, even the tv series hade money chucked at it but hard to bring to the screen, maybe the new cgi does the job in this version? a desert world where water is life.
as our planet heats and deserts are encroaching, water will be vital for us, then again we are told of future ice cap melts and floods!
DUNE (2021) (Part One) on 21:58 - Nov 11 with 2566 viewsHAYESBOY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodorowsky%27s_Dune

Jodorowsky's Dune was almost made in the 70's. There is a documentary on this that is very good.
Was going to be a 14 hr film!

Smells like a trout farm in here

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024