Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Passing forward 06:28 - Apr 16 with 1861 viewssevenhoop

At last! The ‘I don’t want any responsibility so I’ll take an easy option and turn around and pass it back’ disappeared yesterday. We passed forward. Time and again! How refreshing, Chair was back to his best, probably because he got the ball quickly and not under pressure. And I think Thomas helps as he’s making runs and pulling defenders away. We don’t have to lump it, but actually (not every time) just turn and see how a move can be progressed up the field and quickly, rather than the laboured, predictable and utterly pointless stuff the players had been addicted to.

On, and by the way, please keep Warbs on!
Passing forward on 07:25 - Apr 16 with 1743 viewsDorse

Turns out passing forward quickly, with intent isn't witchcraft after all! Who knew? Unless, of course, it really is and it was all down to Dom Ball wearing some robes he knocked up from some old curtains sacrificing a KFC bargain bucket to Baphomet on a portable altar.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Passing forward on 07:51 - Apr 16 with 1671 viewsdmm

Agree with the OP and I noticed Dozzell helped a lot with his forward passing from his deep position. His all round game needs a lot of development but he does look to use to ball positively which is just what we need. He may well be best suited to a deep lying playmaker role alongside Field. Perhaps 4231 will be next season's formation.
Passing forward on 07:55 - Apr 16 with 1659 viewsnix

Agree with you, and particularly this point

'And I think Thomas helps as he’s making runs and pulling defenders away.'

He drew one, and possibly two, defenders away from Amos for the second goal, creating space for him to score.

He also closes down lots of space, which means the other team has less time on the ball. One of the things I've thought recently was that we looked like we had fewer players than the opposition. Last night was the first for ages when we didn't look like that. Thomas was a big part of that, also having Amos and Dozzell from the start, and a rejuvenated Chair. Dykes also works hard, despite the naysayers, and he's clearly still getting back to match fitness, as he was absolutely blowing when he came off.
Passing forward on 08:09 - Apr 16 with 1627 viewsPunteR

Not sure if it was just me but It seemed Westwood wanted to punt the ball higher up the pitch rather then just passing to our full backs. We seemed to be playing higher up the pitch than previous games anyway.
The passing out from the back frustrates me as we just sit so deep. I get the philosophy that it means we retain the ball for longer but if we can't move the ball quickly (which we haven't in previous games) we just sit in our half inviting pressure.
We looked like we had more intention to move quicker up the pitch is my casual observation. A solid performance.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Passing forward on 11:31 - Apr 16 with 1425 viewsfrancisbowles

Passing forward on 08:09 - Apr 16 by PunteR

Not sure if it was just me but It seemed Westwood wanted to punt the ball higher up the pitch rather then just passing to our full backs. We seemed to be playing higher up the pitch than previous games anyway.
The passing out from the back frustrates me as we just sit so deep. I get the philosophy that it means we retain the ball for longer but if we can't move the ball quickly (which we haven't in previous games) we just sit in our half inviting pressure.
We looked like we had more intention to move quicker up the pitch is my casual observation. A solid performance.

It's Westwood's preference and we are safer adapting to him, rather than the other way around.
Passing forward on 11:47 - Apr 16 with 1401 viewsHunterhoop

It wasn’t purely an attitude thing though.

The change in formation demands it!

When you have one fewer centre half, and one extra man in midfield/final third, you have to play it forward.

3421 worked for us wonderfully last year because other teams had not planned for it and we’re not used to it. This whole season they have been. We saw early on at LR how one of the worst sides in Barnsley knew how to hack it. They destroyed us in the first half. Peterborough obviously know how to play against it too.

Over time I think the players could see how forward passes weren’t on as much and how other sides knew how to close off our avenues of attack, so they did what Warburton preaches, “look after the ball”, but the consequence of this was that we did f*ck all with the ball just playing it back and forth across the 3 centre halves and full backs, occasionally into a midfielder and back to a centre half again.

The change to a back 4 forces us to play forward.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024