Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The perfect day… 22:34 - Apr 18 with 2519 viewsNottsQPR

As an exiled Rangers fan living in Nottingham, bringing up my children and introducing them to the sport and the club I love has been…difficult!

I took my daughter (now 13) to the QPR v Sheff Utd FA Cup game under Redknapp. Freezing cold, she was bored stiff and has never been back since as ‘Arry threw that one 3-0. I made a few notes that day of how I wouldn’t do it if I got the chance again!

My son Jude (now 6), has been asking to go to a game although has shown no interest in watching Rangers on telly and all his mates support Forest - I came home a few Sundays ago to find him
Watching Forest v Liverpool on TV and cheering Forest on; this forced my hand…after almost sending him to bed without any tea, I thought I’d better get a trip to the KPF sorted.

An aside - As a kid, living in Hayes, my uncle took me to Rangers (plastic pitch days), Brentford or Fulham (my dad’s not got a sporty bone in him) and I was a glory hunting QPR fan as it was the year of the FA Cup Final so I stuck with what I thought were the stylish team in blue and white hoops. I hoped that mine and Jude’s trip would be a good one as I remembered my younger days with my uncle vividly except I can’t pin down our first game and who it was against…it may have been Sheffield Wednesday?

Anyway, I decided that we’d target today’s game.

Jude can be a bit nervous of new things and had a couple of wobbles about going so I didn’t book tickets and when I finally got round to it, the only tickets left in Lower Loft (I am a member as most of my trips to Rangers are away games) were single seats!

I was gutted and tentatively shelved the idea but then posted a message on here to see if anyone could help and my huge, huge thanks go to MrSheen, who was simply awesome and sorted us two tickets. Massive thanks to him!

We spent Easter (after the Hudds game) at in laws in Stalybridge, near Manchester, and had trains booked for our boys day out today. It nearly came to an early dead end as our first train was cancelled and our second, to Leeds, got stuck behind a broken down loco! Time was running out for a connection to London but we got there in the end.

What a day! Credit to the club, our first experience was the family fun stuff at the Power League - it was great, dead simple entertainment but loads to do and Jude got a photo with Seny Dieng! Really great idea and execution by the club, he loved it!
We were off to a flyer and picked up a couple of little bits in the club shop which was busy but well organized.

After the early disallowed goal which took some explaining to Jude, the game held his attention well and some chocolate got us through the (few) duller moments. When the goal went in we were celebrating hard together, it was a lovely moment.

The club gets a lot of hard press about the stadium etc but I’ll be honest, Jude may not grow up to be a Rangers fan but today’s experience was amazing and I’m not sure the club could have done much more to make it enjoyable for him.

For once, Rangers delivering a performance helped too. It was close to a perfect day and he has fallen to sleep the moment his head hit the pillow, hopefully dreaming of scoring the winning goal at the Loft End!

The perfect day… on 23:19 - Apr 18 with 2357 viewshamptonhillhoop

Nice Post, glad he enjoyed it. Just refuse to take him anywhere other than Rangers, he'll slowly get resigned to it
The perfect day… on 23:35 - Apr 18 with 2299 viewsBoston

The day, was the cats' whiskers for Jude.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 23:36]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The perfect day… on 23:57 - Apr 18 with 2248 viewsted_hendrix

@ the OP.

By far the best thread and post I've read on here in a long time, chuffed to bits for you and your Lad.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The perfect day… on 23:58 - Apr 18 with 2242 viewsMrSheen

Delighted to help NQ, pleased that our “thank God we don’t have to” turned into your son’s “best day ever”.

PS Perfect argument why “It’s only the cup” should be a sacking offence.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2022 0:10]
The perfect day… on 00:31 - Apr 19 with 2173 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lovely post, Notts.. A beautiful read.

Fair play, Sheen. Maith thú.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The perfect day… on 00:58 - Apr 19 with 2111 viewsdavman

The perfect day… on 23:19 - Apr 18 by hamptonhillhoop

Nice Post, glad he enjoyed it. Just refuse to take him anywhere other than Rangers, he'll slowly get resigned to it

This is the only humane tactic. You follow your dad's team. Simples. Tell him he can support who he wants, but if he wants to go to games, it's QPR or nothing as you will not be taking him to any other team and won't let him go to a game by himself, or with mates, 'til he is 18.

Worked with my lad, thank the lord!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The perfect day… on 01:30 - Apr 19 with 2078 viewsbob566

Lovely post.
The perfect day… on 06:39 - Apr 19 with 1877 viewsngbqpr

Also exiled in Notts - 3 grown up kids, all Rs.

It can be done, keep the faith!

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Login to get fewer ads

The perfect day… on 08:43 - Apr 19 with 1662 viewsSuffolk

My then young son regarded himself as a Chelsea fan prior to the Derby play off final. I took the opportunity to tell him that John Terry was a racist and that Jimmy Saville was a Chelsea fan. My son has been a Ranger ever since. I will admit to having a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye the first time he stood next to me at Loftus Road - my son that is, not Jimmy Saville.
The perfect day… on 09:37 - Apr 19 with 1556 viewsfrancisbowles

Well done, NottsQPR. Supporting our club really means commitment as you have demonstrated.
The perfect day… on 11:41 - Apr 19 with 1430 viewsPBLOCK

Lovely post mate it’s great when it all aligns like that. Took my 6 year old to his 2nd game yesterday (did Hull back in Feb)

We got there early and he got to get autographs and chat with Andy Sinton (who was an absolute gent) and Wayne Fereday who was a top bloke. Then the players started arriving and he got nigh on 20 autographs and pics. The players to a man were all great with him and chatted and posed for pictures. Special mention to Ilias Chair (his favourite player) who signed his autograph book and then for the picture picked him up and sat him on the railing. Honestly made his year hasn’t stopped talking about it since.

Last minute winner to boot.

Cracking day
The perfect day… on 13:53 - Apr 19 with 1293 viewsTGRRRSSS

Brilliant post - and the kind of thing the club needs, the support going forward is also the lifeblood of the club as it's develops through families often far and wide these days.

Might I suggest try to get him Junior Hoops membership (if possible) and also try to get to a game in August when hopefully the weather is still good if possible, he's perfect age to get him as Rangers, and it'll make him a bit different at school.
The perfect day… on 14:15 - Apr 19 with 1251 viewsstowmarketrange

I phoned the box office today and I was pleasantly surprised to hear our players leaving a message while I was holding on waiting for them to answer.
The perfect day… on 14:52 - Apr 19 with 1170 viewsBoston

The perfect day… on 14:15 - Apr 19 by stowmarketrange

I phoned the box office today and I was pleasantly surprised to hear our players leaving a message while I was holding on waiting for them to answer.

Party line was it?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024