Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? 21:37 - Jul 30 with 16907 viewsDejR_vu

There's been some debate on other threads about LF.

Les was appointed DoF in Feb 2015. We were relegated, bottom. Burnley and Hull were relegated with us.

We left behind the likes of Aston Villa and Newcastle, who have been relegated since but are back in the Premier League. There were Stoke and West Brom who, although now in the Championship, stayed in the Premier League for a few more seasons before getting relegated.

Sunderland survived that year.

Leicester had been promoted with us the previous season.

Crystal Palace had survived their first season.

In the Championship that season were Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Middlesbrough, Brentford, Wolves, Cardiff, Forest, Leeds, Fulham.

Sheff Utd were in league One.

Clubs have been relegated with big wage bills, but promoted since. Clubs have traded their way to the Premier League. Clubs have produced academy players they've sold for big money.

We've wasted parachute money, we've sold one player for big money, and had smaller wins with a couple more. We've let Manning, and BOS slip through our fingers for nothing. Our academy hasn't produced a player who's been sold for money under LF's watch.

The best striker we've had is a bloke we borrowed twice who had a two month purple patch.

Looking at that list, Sunderland and Hull have done worse than us.

Burnley, Newcastle, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Brentford, Wolves, Fulham and Sheff Utd have all done significantly better. I think you can add Cardiff, West Brom and Stoke to that list. Villa, Leeds and Forest are all in the Premier League now.

Different clubs with different ways of doing things, but all more successful than us, even though we had the advantage of Premier League money / parachute money over many of them back then.

How can anyone claim LF is doing a good job? I'm genuinely interested. I can't fathom it.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 21:45]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:44 - Jul 30 with 6429 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

"Clubs have been relegated with big wage bills"

Do they all have 40 year old 17000 seater stadiums in West London?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:46 - Jul 30 with 6409 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:44 - Jul 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

"Clubs have been relegated with big wage bills"

Do they all have 40 year old 17000 seater stadiums in West London?

Bournemouth's is smaller, and just as old

Same with Brentford
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 21:47]

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:47 - Jul 30 with 6377 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:46 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

Bournemouth's is smaller, and just as old

Same with Brentford
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 21:47]

Who's their DOF?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:50 - Jul 30 with 6347 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:47 - Jul 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

Who's their DOF?

No idea, but what's that got to do with it? They're clearly doing a better job than ours

Just checked - Rasmus Ankerson @ Brentford. Bournemouth don't appear to have one. Still don't get your point.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 21:57]

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:53 - Jul 30 with 6317 viewsLblock

Novice Park Rangers

Owners who were brand new to the game.
Directors that were / are cutting their teeth in roles at this level.
Head coach or Manager who is making his debut in the professional game.
Players who are also not used to the Championship

Roll up, roll up…… here we go again

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:57 - Jul 30 with 6287 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:50 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

No idea, but what's that got to do with it? They're clearly doing a better job than ours

Just checked - Rasmus Ankerson @ Brentford. Bournemouth don't appear to have one. Still don't get your point.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 21:57]

Sorry I thought this thread was about Les Ferdinand. Our DOF.

Not looking for an argument btw.✌🏻

I agree there's a conversation to be had I don't know anyone who doesn't think that.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:59 - Jul 30 with 6271 viewsTonto

Because he is evil.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:59 - Jul 30 with 6264 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:57 - Jul 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

Sorry I thought this thread was about Les Ferdinand. Our DOF.

Not looking for an argument btw.✌🏻

I agree there's a conversation to be had I don't know anyone who doesn't think that.

It is about Les Ferdinand, our DoF, but you asked about two other club's DoF, so I looked it up? You changed the subject.

Login to get fewer ads

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:00 - Jul 30 with 6247 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:59 - Jul 30 by Tonto

Because he is evil.

Not evil, just out of his depth, imo.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:00 - Jul 30 with 6245 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 21:59 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

It is about Les Ferdinand, our DoF, but you asked about two other club's DoF, so I looked it up? You changed the subject.

No I didn't.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:04 - Jul 30 with 6219 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:00 - Jul 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

No I didn't.

What was this if it wasn't changing the subject from our DoF:

"Who's their DOF?"

What's your point anyway? You asked which clubs had small old stadiums, and you asked who their DoF are. They've both been more successful than us, one with a smaller stadium than us, one with a smaller stadium that has been replaced by a new one. Both good examples of clubs working better than ours, no?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:07 - Jul 30 with 6191 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:04 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

What was this if it wasn't changing the subject from our DoF:

"Who's their DOF?"

What's your point anyway? You asked which clubs had small old stadiums, and you asked who their DoF are. They've both been more successful than us, one with a smaller stadium than us, one with a smaller stadium that has been replaced by a new one. Both good examples of clubs working better than ours, no?

It's just the way my brain works. If i'm looking to improve something I check that what I've got is as bad as I think it is first.

I'm not an expert on this stuff btw.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:13 - Jul 30 with 6161 viewseastside_r

One game into the season and we get an anti-Les thread.

Just because he’s a club legend player does not mean he’s immune to criticism.
But FFS. Really?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 22:13]
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:18 - Jul 30 with 6116 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:13 - Jul 30 by eastside_r

One game into the season and we get an anti-Les thread.

Just because he’s a club legend player does not mean he’s immune to criticism.
But FFS. Really?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 22:13]

It may be one game into the season, but it’s seven and a half years into his tenure. When is the right time?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:19 - Jul 30 with 6107 viewsMedwayR

If you had a valid point about the job LF is doing why didn’t you post this before todays game? Seems odd that you’d wait, as if todays result somehow validates your opinion on LF, it doesn’t.

In LF’s time here we’ve massively reduced the wage bill whilst holding our own in the league, we’ve established some sort of identity on the pitch and also off the pitch, our managerial appointments are far more considered now than when he arrived, we’ve got a new training ground, a far more professional set up behind the scenes with data analysis & scouting etc, have a focus on developing players and recruit based on that, there is a plan in place.

Of course LF hasn’t done all that on his own, but he has played his part. He has made mistakes, but has also made more good decisions than bad imo. Would someone else have done a better job(?), possibly but plenty could’ve done worse too. He’s provided stability which has allowed us to progress in many areas. Consider the DoF we had in place before LF, Mike Rigg was his name, no comparison. Whilst he’s not perfect, we’re lucky to have someone in the role who cares about our club.

Poll: Who’s better?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:22 - Jul 30 with 6073 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I’d like to see a current organigram for QPR and wonder what the various individuals’ job specs are.

From the outset I always wondered like many others: what was the DOF’s function(s) at the time the role was created? Who else were considered for the role? And, why and on what basis did an inexperienced LF get the job? I doubt LF has a job spec per se, so what are the targets by which his performance is measured against?

Thing is, if he left tomorrow, I don’t think QPR would implode and if a DOF were required, I bet we could find more qualified candidates to replace him.

The LF/DOF math never really added up for me. Happy for anyone to answer my questions and assuage my concerns.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:27 - Jul 30 with 6040 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:19 - Jul 30 by MedwayR

If you had a valid point about the job LF is doing why didn’t you post this before todays game? Seems odd that you’d wait, as if todays result somehow validates your opinion on LF, it doesn’t.

In LF’s time here we’ve massively reduced the wage bill whilst holding our own in the league, we’ve established some sort of identity on the pitch and also off the pitch, our managerial appointments are far more considered now than when he arrived, we’ve got a new training ground, a far more professional set up behind the scenes with data analysis & scouting etc, have a focus on developing players and recruit based on that, there is a plan in place.

Of course LF hasn’t done all that on his own, but he has played his part. He has made mistakes, but has also made more good decisions than bad imo. Would someone else have done a better job(?), possibly but plenty could’ve done worse too. He’s provided stability which has allowed us to progress in many areas. Consider the DoF we had in place before LF, Mike Rigg was his name, no comparison. Whilst he’s not perfect, we’re lucky to have someone in the role who cares about our club.

I’ve been critical of LF for years. I’ve posted this today because a few posters on other threads have asked questions and others have debated. What’s the problem with having the debate? When’s the right time?

If he’s doing a good job why are we being left behind by all those other clubs? We can debate the for’s and against’s all night, but, at the end of the day, results speak for themselves. QPR is a football club. The whole point is to win as many matches as possible, compete at the highest level possible. Relative to all those other clubs, who have the same issues as us, LF’s tenure has been a failure.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:31 - Jul 30 with 5993 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:22 - Jul 30 by PlanetHonneywood

I’d like to see a current organigram for QPR and wonder what the various individuals’ job specs are.

From the outset I always wondered like many others: what was the DOF’s function(s) at the time the role was created? Who else were considered for the role? And, why and on what basis did an inexperienced LF get the job? I doubt LF has a job spec per se, so what are the targets by which his performance is measured against?

Thing is, if he left tomorrow, I don’t think QPR would implode and if a DOF were required, I bet we could find more qualified candidates to replace him.

The LF/DOF math never really added up for me. Happy for anyone to answer my questions and assuage my concerns.

We imploded last time he left.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:36 - Jul 30 with 5929 viewstimeforheroes

Was shocked to see only two clubs have been in this division longer than us but still feel like we're batting at our average
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:36 - Jul 30 with 5928 viewsDannytheR

Jesus Christ. Is it seriously going to be like this on here every time we lose this season?

It is, isn't it?
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:37 - Jul 30 with 5923 viewseastside_r

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:27 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

I’ve been critical of LF for years. I’ve posted this today because a few posters on other threads have asked questions and others have debated. What’s the problem with having the debate? When’s the right time?

If he’s doing a good job why are we being left behind by all those other clubs? We can debate the for’s and against’s all night, but, at the end of the day, results speak for themselves. QPR is a football club. The whole point is to win as many matches as possible, compete at the highest level possible. Relative to all those other clubs, who have the same issues as us, LF’s tenure has been a failure.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and to express it here.

As you might have gathered I disagree. ((See Medway’s post.)

First game of the season under a new manager, which presumably Director of Football had some say in, I do question the timing, however long you’ve held this anti-LF feeling.

Presumably, when we win a game you don’t attribute it to any of the management structure of the club (and yes I am being deliberately facetious.)
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:40 - Jul 30 with 5892 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:37 - Jul 30 by eastside_r

You are of course entitled to your opinion and to express it here.

As you might have gathered I disagree. ((See Medway’s post.)

First game of the season under a new manager, which presumably Director of Football had some say in, I do question the timing, however long you’ve held this anti-LF feeling.

Presumably, when we win a game you don’t attribute it to any of the management structure of the club (and yes I am being deliberately facetious.)

Eastside, I’ve been questioning LF for years, and regularly on here over the Summer.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:40 - Jul 30 with 5891 viewsMedwayR

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:27 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

Fair enough, but I’d suggest after a defeat on the first day of the season isn’t the best time, for me it would be a more credible discussion before todays game or in a day or two, feels like jumping on a bandwagon at the moment.

Which clubs are you comparing us to?

Poll: Who’s better?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:42 - Jul 30 with 5883 viewsQPR_Jim

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:22 - Jul 30 by PlanetHonneywood

Who leaving would cause QPR to implode? Maybe only the guy writing the £1m cheque each month.

I think it's essential that QPR have someone above the manager to provide continuity and to make sure we have an identity and try to stick to it. We've done the revolving door of managers changing styles and with that signing more and more players, we can't do that anymore. Unless you have a savvy owner (even the most optimistic amongst us wouldn't claim that we do) then that continuity needs to come from someone like a DoF.

For me a better question mark over his tenure is allowing the spend last season but it sounds like a lot of that came from above and was generally well received by the fans at the time. So what's he to do? It seems like he's used it to make his point to those that ignored him but who knows for sure what happened there.
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:44 - Jul 30 with 5864 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:40 - Jul 30 by MedwayR

Fair enough, but I’d suggest after a defeat on the first day of the season isn’t the best time, for me it would be a more credible discussion before todays game or in a day or two, feels like jumping on a bandwagon at the moment.

Which clubs are you comparing us to?

Take your pick. No two clubs are identical. But, there’s way too many doing better than us to think we’re just being persecuted by the football gods.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024