Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ukraine 23:51 - Sep 9 with 76682 viewsMrSheen

Posted with some trepidation as I know Clive doesn’t like multis. Understandably overlooked by the national media, but it seems like the Russians are completely caving in, rope-a-doped as effectively as von Paulus in 1942. Who knows what this might lead to?
Ukraine on 14:26 - Sep 20 with 2821 viewsSonofpugwash

Yep.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Ukraine on 14:26 - Sep 20 with 2842 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ukraine on 14:17 - Sep 20 by Northernr

You're telling me I've moderated ten days of "The Queen" and now you're going to spend the international break doing nuclear disarmament?

Special birthday present for you.

Happy Birthday.
Ukraine on 15:04 - Sep 20 with 2741 viewsDWQPR

Ukraine on 14:16 - Sep 20 by Sonofpugwash

Unilateral nuclear disarmament is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
I remember Labour in the seventies proposing a non nuclear defence of Europe involving a huge ditch filled with diesel to stop Soviet tanks rumbling across the German plains..

With the price of diesel at the pumps now I'd be the first in the queue draining the f*cking thing.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Ukraine on 15:41 - Sep 20 with 2673 viewsjoe90

Ukraine on 11:54 - Sep 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I'm posting this not because I'm anti West, pro Putin, or any of the other things the usual suspects will say. I can live with a handful of downvotes from basement dwelling losers.

I am posting this because I love my country and don't want to see it's people die in a nuclear war because clueless careerists who'll be first in the bunker with no skin in the game can't keep their mouths shut.

We are saying the exact same thing this side of the pond as Gurulyov, albeit less bombastically.

If it's good enough for Social Democrats to say, of course it will empower a mad Russian nationalist to say it.

We need to end the double standards before we can position ourselves as the righteous actors in this conflict.

'Liz Truss says she’s ‘ready’ to hit nuclear button if necessary'
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liz-truss-nuclear-button-ready-b2

You sound like every CND/Stop The War crank I've met.

I shouldn't take the bait, but I'm increasingly finding this forum to be a cliquey echo chamber. It's deeply frustrating and sadly reflects the wider toxic discourse in society.

I can take different views, but it's your rhetoric I can't stand.

I'm going to stop reading the non-football threads.
Ukraine on 16:17 - Sep 20 with 2599 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Ukraine on 15:41 - Sep 20 by joe90

I shouldn't take the bait, but I'm increasingly finding this forum to be a cliquey echo chamber. It's deeply frustrating and sadly reflects the wider toxic discourse in society.

The football threads and the non-political OT threads are generally brilliant.
I tend to just avoid the political ones. I sometimes read them (hence this reply) but don't generally comment or get drawn in.
Ukraine on 16:19 - Sep 20 with 2598 viewsdavman

Ukraine on 13:48 - Sep 20 by DWQPR

I shudder to imagine. On your theory we may as well give up every weapon we hold and disband the armed forces. And rely on the basis of having a good old chat in front of the fire with Vlad over tea and cake. Do you honestly believe that had Ukraine had nukes that those lively, loveable, cuddly Ruskis would have invaded?

Putin invaded on the basis that Ukraine was full of neo nazis. And also on the basis of having some kind of barrier between Russia and that non-aggressive pact, we know as NATO. The reality is that this was a land grab and to protect ethnic Russians, same as Hitler did with the Sudatenland in '38. And we know what happened there with appeasement. Putin hasn't tried to invade the Baltic states, because they are part of NATO and NATO as he knows only too well would react in kind. It's called Mutually Assured Destruction and strangely it has pretty much worked well since the end of WW2.

To be fair to Baz on this one, I think he was pretty clear. His reply was nothing to do with disarming - it was "keep the weapons, leave the retaliation bit unsaid, but there in the background and say something much more reasonable and less threatening" .

In other words, just be "better" than others as we should be.

Reserving the right to "Bomb the bstards" if necessary (c) K Everett.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Ukraine on 16:28 - Sep 20 with 2577 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You’ve clicked on a thread called Ukraine. What did you expect? Borscht recipes?
Ukraine on 17:12 - Sep 20 with 2480 viewsPunteR

Ukraine on 16:17 - Sep 20 by CroydonCaptJack

I tend to just avoid the political ones. I sometimes read them (hence this reply) but don't generally comment or get drawn in.

Its for the best.
They never end well unfortunately .

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Ukraine on 17:21 - Sep 20 with 2461 viewsPunteR

Ukraine on 16:28 - Sep 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

You’ve clicked on a thread called Ukraine. What did you expect? Borscht recipes?

Mmmm .. Borscht recipes..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ukraine on 17:43 - Sep 20 with 2394 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ukraine on 17:12 - Sep 20 by PunteR

Its for the best.
They never end well unfortunately .

It was going fine until the name calling I thought.
Ukraine on 18:18 - Sep 20 with 2322 viewstraininvain

Not much of an echo chamber given all the different views on the Queen threads. Actually the complete opposite of an echo chamber.
Ukraine on 18:40 - Sep 20 with 2290 viewsMick_S

Aye.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Ukraine on 18:56 - Sep 20 with 2258 viewsstevec

Ukraine on 11:54 - Sep 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I'm posting this not because I'm anti West, pro Putin, or any of the other things the usual suspects will say. I can live with a handful of downvotes from basement dwelling losers.

I am posting this because I love my country and don't want to see it's people die in a nuclear war because clueless careerists who'll be first in the bunker with no skin in the game can't keep their mouths shut.

We are saying the exact same thing this side of the pond as Gurulyov, albeit less bombastically.

If it's good enough for Social Democrats to say, of course it will empower a mad Russian nationalist to say it.

We need to end the double standards before we can position ourselves as the righteous actors in this conflict.

'Liz Truss says she’s ‘ready’ to hit nuclear button if necessary'
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liz-truss-nuclear-button-ready-b2

I’d like to put your comments down to naivety but I can’t get the words ‘cunning stunt’ out of my head.

Let me put it down to naivety for now, and point out that this isn’t a straight fight between Britain and Russia. If it was you may have a point. Trouble is it’s not about us, it’s about China. A country that if we or the US show any remote sign of weakness, will see China ploughing into Taiwan and then all bets are off.

Maybe you recognise this and the concept of being overrun by a state committed to spreading Communism throughout the world is an appealing one, particularly when you’ve likely realised that any possibility of it coming from a home grown prophecy is a complete non starter.

Hopefully you’re just being naive.
Ukraine on 19:17 - Sep 20 with 2219 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ukraine on 18:56 - Sep 20 by stevec

I’d like to put your comments down to naivety but I can’t get the words ‘cunning stunt’ out of my head.

Let me put it down to naivety for now, and point out that this isn’t a straight fight between Britain and Russia. If it was you may have a point. Trouble is it’s not about us, it’s about China. A country that if we or the US show any remote sign of weakness, will see China ploughing into Taiwan and then all bets are off.

Maybe you recognise this and the concept of being overrun by a state committed to spreading Communism throughout the world is an appealing one, particularly when you’ve likely realised that any possibility of it coming from a home grown prophecy is a complete non starter.

Why are you so angry?
Ukraine on 19:30 - Sep 20 with 2184 viewsFredManRave

Bloody Liberals.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Ukraine on 19:32 - Sep 20 with 2153 viewsSonofpugwash

"Whateve happens we have got
The Maxim Gun and they have not."

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Ukraine on 19:33 - Sep 20 with 2170 viewsFredManRave

Ukraine on 14:17 - Sep 20 by Northernr

You're telling me I've moderated ten days of "The Queen" and now you're going to spend the international break doing nuclear disarmament?

Made me LOL!

International breaks, eh?!

No Rangers Football for two weeks so Rangers Fans with time on their hands and a forum to post on in 2022.

What could possibly go wrong.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Ukraine on 19:38 - Sep 20 with 2152 viewsdistortR

Ukraine on 13:48 - Sep 20 by DWQPR

I shudder to imagine. On your theory we may as well give up every weapon we hold and disband the armed forces. And rely on the basis of having a good old chat in front of the fire with Vlad over tea and cake. Do you honestly believe that had Ukraine had nukes that those lively, loveable, cuddly Ruskis would have invaded?

Putin invaded on the basis that Ukraine was full of neo nazis. And also on the basis of having some kind of barrier between Russia and that non-aggressive pact, we know as NATO. The reality is that this was a land grab and to protect ethnic Russians, same as Hitler did with the Sudatenland in '38. And we know what happened there with appeasement. Putin hasn't tried to invade the Baltic states, because they are part of NATO and NATO as he knows only too well would react in kind. It's called Mutually Assured Destruction and strangely it has pretty much worked well since the end of WW2.

"that non-aggressive pact, we know as NATO"

Tell Libya that.
Ukraine on 19:38 - Sep 20 with 2152 viewskensalriser

Ukraine on 18:56 - Sep 20 by stevec

You're the naive one if you think there's anything communist about China except nominally. It's a hard authoritarian capitalist one party state.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ukraine on 19:43 - Sep 20 with 2134 viewssilverbirch

Ukraine on 13:01 - Sep 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

She should have said,

‘No I will never deploy nuclear weapons as it will cause a global holocaust and I want to work with all Nuclear powers to reduce the global arsenal to zero. We are the 6th biggest economy in the world and we will give abiding nations favourable trade deals for compliance. I hope Russia will sit round the table over Ukraine as soon possible and we’ll talk about the historic bad behaviour of post Minsk NATO as well as Putin’s illegal invasions (plural) to seek a ceasefire as soon as possible’

Imagine.

Genuine interest, do you have a link to where I can read about historic bad behaviour of post Minsk NATO, please?
Ukraine on 20:07 - Sep 20 with 2053 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ukraine on 19:43 - Sep 20 by silverbirch

Genuine interest, do you have a link to where I can read about historic bad behaviour of post Minsk NATO, please?

I was alluding to expansion, the US backed Ukrainian coup in 2014, and civilian economic sanctions (not military or capital) that don’t hit oligarchs just civilians.

I won’t post anything from StW or CND as it offends, so I’ve gone for this instead.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2022/03/30/why-the-us-and-nato-have-long-want

I cannot stress enough that criticism of NATO / US / EU states does not mean condoning Russian aggression AT ALL. Just some nuance for a complicated situation.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 21:30]
Ukraine on 20:12 - Sep 20 with 2034 viewsdistortR

Ukraine on 19:43 - Sep 20 by silverbirch

google 'game on' by Andrew Cockburn in the harpers.org archive for an interesting read on NATO pushing east.
Ukraine on 20:15 - Sep 20 with 2022 views100percent

Careful, I think the Mourning Police are on their way over from the 'queen' thread....
Ukraine on 20:37 - Sep 20 with 1968 viewseastside_r

Ukraine on 18:18 - Sep 20 by traininvain

Not much of an echo chamber given all the different views on the Queen threads. Actually the complete opposite of an echo chamber.

Sorry, I down-voted this in error.
Ukraine on 20:52 - Sep 20 with 1933 viewstraininvain

Ukraine on 20:07 - Sep 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I was alluding to expansion, the US backed Ukrainian coup in 2014, and civilian economic sanctions (not military or capital) that don’t hit oligarchs just civilians.

I won’t post anything from StW or CND as it offends, so I’ve gone for this instead.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2022/03/30/why-the-us-and-nato-have-long-want

I cannot stress enough that criticism of NATO / US / EU states does not mean condoning Russian aggression AT ALL. Just some nuance for a complicated situation.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 21:30]

I’ll probably regret asking this but if NATO forced Putin’s hand as you suggest, why did Putin write an essay going into so much detail about history and Russia’s right as an imperial power. He explicitly said that Ukraine belongs to Russia and that it is not a sovereign country.

Putin has subsequently overseen the bombing of Ukrainian hospitals, schools, universities, theatres, murdered journalists, shot civilians etc.

His words and actions don’t seem to fit the narrative that Putin was somehow backed into a corner by NATO expansion and was forced to react. It all seems a lot more personal to him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024