Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 23:12 - Nov 2 with 6329 viewsterryb

I've just arrived home in Ipswich & rather than read through the match thread, here are my initial thoughts.

Firstly, the very least we deserved was a draw. I know our best players tonight were in defensive positions, but apart from a couple of five minute periods I didn't feel we were in trouble. Dieng & Field were magnificent, with Paal & Tim pushing them closely. Balogun & Dickie were fairly solid as well.

The last three substitutions didn't help us though & we definitely missed Dykes defensive contribution for set plays.

I was stood alongside an ocassional poster to this site. Good to have met you Loft Upper. Enjoy your overnight stay before returning to Brighton to morrow.
Just back on 23:27 - Nov 2 with 5487 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I really enjoyed Luke Amos performance too. He's a clever player. He does lack composure on the ball sometimes but he kept us going early in the second half I felt, with his pressing in the final third. Successive managers have liked him here and have asked a lot of him, often playing him in several positions in a game.

MOM Seny. That pass he did in 2nd half was unbelievable.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Just back on 00:47 - Nov 3 with 5181 viewsWatford_Ranger

Just back on 23:27 - Nov 2 by CliveWilsonSaid

I really enjoyed Luke Amos performance too. He's a clever player. He does lack composure on the ball sometimes but he kept us going early in the second half I felt, with his pressing in the final third. Successive managers have liked him here and have asked a lot of him, often playing him in several positions in a game.

MOM Seny. That pass he did in 2nd half was unbelievable.

Just back.

I think seeing the game live hinders how we analyse games (or at least it does for me) but I was frustrated constantly by Amos. Just offers so little. Again though, he probably had a better game than it seemed from the corner of Carrow Rd.

Dieng was superb. Again. We’ll get a serious offer for him soon I’m sure.
Just back on 06:37 - Nov 3 with 4895 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just back on 00:47 - Nov 3 by Watford_Ranger

Just back.

I think seeing the game live hinders how we analyse games (or at least it does for me) but I was frustrated constantly by Amos. Just offers so little. Again though, he probably had a better game than it seemed from the corner of Carrow Rd.

Dieng was superb. Again. We’ll get a serious offer for him soon I’m sure.

i sort of feel you get a better view from being at the game, but i watched on TV and thought Amos was excellent. Work rate was unbelievable, won so much of the ball, was superb in helping to keep us compact and made intelligent linking passes - some wayward shooting though. That was a real team performance and people can say Dozzell or Amos didn't do much but if that was the case, Norwich would've hammered us. They both played crucial roles.
Thought Tim was superb, mind.

Bare bones.

Just back on 06:47 - Nov 3 with 4867 viewsnix

Just back on 06:37 - Nov 3 by Antti_Heinola

i sort of feel you get a better view from being at the game, but i watched on TV and thought Amos was excellent. Work rate was unbelievable, won so much of the ball, was superb in helping to keep us compact and made intelligent linking passes - some wayward shooting though. That was a real team performance and people can say Dozzell or Amos didn't do much but if that was the case, Norwich would've hammered us. They both played crucial roles.

You're right clearly from both managers. Both said we closed down the midfield area, which was obviously Dozzell and Amos's main role, so they couldn't get the ball to their number ten, who was clearly their main danger. Which is why Smith, who knew we'd do that, got them to start playing round the sides into the back of us. This worked for a while but we managed to close that down too.

Incidentally I think Bonne didn't quite get the idea of marking a space and took it too literally when he came on, literally marking a space, rather than marking the space in front of a particular player or group of players.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2022 7:28]
Just back on 07:16 - Nov 3 with 4746 viewskernowhoop

And... no embarrassing time wasting, by either side. That must be because, although a point would probably have been acceptable for each side, they both thought that they could win it. If not for that reason, then they thought that the referee (who seemed pretty good, to me) would have been firm with time added on?
Just back on 07:29 - Nov 3 with 4675 viewsPaddyhoops

Just back on 07:16 - Nov 3 by kernowhoop

And... no embarrassing time wasting, by either side. That must be because, although a point would probably have been acceptable for each side, they both thought that they could win it. If not for that reason, then they thought that the referee (who seemed pretty good, to me) would have been firm with time added on?

I’ll be astounded if nobody comes in for Seny in the next six months. Is there a better keeper in the championship?
Just back on 07:46 - Nov 3 with 4557 viewsdistortR

Just back on 06:47 - Nov 3 by nix

You're right clearly from both managers. Both said we closed down the midfield area, which was obviously Dozzell and Amos's main role, so they couldn't get the ball to their number ten, who was clearly their main danger. Which is why Smith, who knew we'd do that, got them to start playing round the sides into the back of us. This worked for a while but we managed to close that down too.

Incidentally I think Bonne didn't quite get the idea of marking a space and took it too literally when he came on, literally marking a space, rather than marking the space in front of a particular player or group of players.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2022 7:28]

Bonne can usually be found marking the space behind the last defender.
Just back on 08:04 - Nov 3 with 4459 viewsTheChef

Ha, I also found Amos frustrating, was asked to do a job in a role he's less familiar with but his passing and decision making were off. Couldn't fault the effort though.

Excellent saves from both keepers as mentioned elsewhere.

Decent point overall, just based on the subs you could see the extra quality they had (sadly Bonne and Shodipo are not really Championship quality and Adomah is not getting any younger). On to the next game we go.

More annoying was Burnley's 100th minute winner!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 09:00 - Nov 3 with 4172 viewsBurnleyhoop

I am never happy when there’s a need to play both Amos and Dozzell at the same time, as both are still a bit short of where they need to be. However, I thought both put in a shift with plenty of grass covered. Amos could do with a run in the team and would be happy for him to share the defensive midfield role with Johansen, who is struggling physically this season.

Personally I would push Tim further up the pitch alongside Willock and Chair. Tim has a great touch and can accelerate away from defenders with ease. If we can get theses 3 on the pitch together regularly they could cause mayhem for any defence in this league.

Great game last night, championship football at its best. Even the referee had a good game.
Just back on 09:15 - Nov 3 with 4077 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 09:00 - Nov 3 by Burnleyhoop

I am never happy when there’s a need to play both Amos and Dozzell at the same time, as both are still a bit short of where they need to be. However, I thought both put in a shift with plenty of grass covered. Amos could do with a run in the team and would be happy for him to share the defensive midfield role with Johansen, who is struggling physically this season.

Personally I would push Tim further up the pitch alongside Willock and Chair. Tim has a great touch and can accelerate away from defenders with ease. If we can get theses 3 on the pitch together regularly they could cause mayhem for any defence in this league.

Great game last night, championship football at its best. Even the referee had a good game.

I think Iroegbunam is better coming from deep, Burnley. Probably the only player we have who can break from deep midfield to attack. I think we might lose that as a team if we put him ahead of the ball.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just back on 09:20 - Nov 3 with 4032 viewsTheChef

Just back on 09:15 - Nov 3 by BrianMcCarthy

I think Iroegbunam is better coming from deep, Burnley. Probably the only player we have who can break from deep midfield to attack. I think we might lose that as a team if we put him ahead of the ball.

Yeah agreed on that - makes a real difference how can he do that and break the lines. Arguably his best game so far last night. Shame we missed Johansen last night.

As mentioned a great point despite the lack of quality off the bench (Willock aside). It really struck home about Bonne's lack of mobility - he was only on for about ten minutes but it was like he was running through treacle!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Just back on 09:21 - Nov 3 with 4036 viewsBrizR

Agree - quite a sharp contrast between people at the game and people watching on TV on this one. I thought Amos did really well, and put a shift in at both ends of the pitch - not perfect by any means but still a solid performance for someone who's been in and out of the team a bit this season.

Also agreed on Tim. Thought he was pretty absent at Birmingham but he was huge for us all over the pitch last night.
Just back on 09:25 - Nov 3 with 4001 viewssdm1508

Thought Amos had an ok game last night. Plenty of effort but he would dwell on the ball too much. It seemed to be so many times he didn't know if he should pass or keep it and kind of did neither and would then lose the ball. Maybe because he was playing further up the pitch whereas he seems to do better running from a deeper position. Dozzell seems to have gone back to letting the game go by him a bit again. A few times he would break forward or track back but just not enough influence on the game
Just back on 09:37 - Nov 3 with 3925 viewsstowmarketrange

Just back on 09:20 - Nov 3 by TheChef

Yeah agreed on that - makes a real difference how can he do that and break the lines. Arguably his best game so far last night. Shame we missed Johansen last night.

As mentioned a great point despite the lack of quality off the bench (Willock aside). It really struck home about Bonne's lack of mobility - he was only on for about ten minutes but it was like he was running through treacle!

You’d think that Bonne would’ve tried extra hard due to him being an ipswich lad against his old farm derby team.
Just back on 10:02 - Nov 3 with 3782 viewsNorthantsHoop

Actually thought our midfield did well last night. Tim and Sam were outstanding. Luke and Jason did their jobs well. We had a good shape all night, which made it difficult for Norwich and they spent a lot of time trying to break our press and were stuck playing along their back line. Very similar performance to Sheff Utd away without the winning goal.
Major improvement this season is our defence, Balagun has added a lot of strength there and Rob Dickie last night had a good game. Big shout out for Senny Dieng he was brilliant made some very important saves.
Just back on 10:05 - Nov 3 with 3754 viewsjohnhoop

Just back on 08:04 - Nov 3 by TheChef

Ha, I also found Amos frustrating, was asked to do a job in a role he's less familiar with but his passing and decision making were off. Couldn't fault the effort though.

Excellent saves from both keepers as mentioned elsewhere.

Decent point overall, just based on the subs you could see the extra quality they had (sadly Bonne and Shodipo are not really Championship quality and Adomah is not getting any younger). On to the next game we go.

More annoying was Burnley's 100th minute winner!

Makes you wonder whether “Fergie time” has been succeeded by “Kompany time.”
Just back on 10:14 - Nov 3 with 3695 viewsBklynRanger

Just back on 10:02 - Nov 3 by NorthantsHoop

Actually thought our midfield did well last night. Tim and Sam were outstanding. Luke and Jason did their jobs well. We had a good shape all night, which made it difficult for Norwich and they spent a lot of time trying to break our press and were stuck playing along their back line. Very similar performance to Sheff Utd away without the winning goal.
Major improvement this season is our defence, Balagun has added a lot of strength there and Rob Dickie last night had a good game. Big shout out for Senny Dieng he was brilliant made some very important saves.

Balogun seems to have a bit of pace about him too, as do Paal and Laird obviously. Having that probably helped us to push Norwich back into their half a lot in the second half and compress things without having to worry about getting beat in behind.

Of the midfield I thought Tim and Field were more obviously good last night, but Amos and Dozzell were doing a lot of good work. I felt Luke may have had a few bits of advice from MB at half time because he came out a lot stronger in the first 15 mins of the second half than he had finished the first.

Interesting triple substitution - Beale talked after about shuffling the pack but I wonder how much he's keen to get players in the shop window to get that slight bit of headroom in January. Hard to criticise Bonne on such a brief opportunity - hard but not impossible... Thought Albert and Shodipo did fine.

To have them hit the post with the very last kick only cemented the fact that it was a good point.
Just back on 10:18 - Nov 3 with 3685 viewswelwynranger

Just back on 09:37 - Nov 3 by stowmarketrange

You’d think that Bonne would’ve tried extra hard due to him being an ipswich lad against his old farm derby team.

Bonne. Only 3 touches none of which were good. He seemed unable to control the ball .
Just back on 10:27 - Nov 3 with 3639 viewsRangers67

Watching from the comfort of my armchair there were two things that stood out, firstly the really solid away performance from the team. No doubt the result of having been well coached by MB and his team, really encouraging for the future. Secondly the fantastic and very vocal away support, came across loud and proud all night , hope you all got home safe and sound in that poor weather.
Just back on 10:28 - Nov 3 with 3620 viewsstevec

Just back on 10:05 - Nov 3 by johnhoop

Makes you wonder whether “Fergie time” has been succeeded by “Kompany time.”

I’m detecting an emergence of teams that the Premier might welcome back getting far more than the statutory four minutes the rest of us get when we’re not winning.
Just back on 12:43 - Nov 3 with 3250 viewsgazza1

Good team performance, many of our side played well....my best player was Dieng but several others were close. Chair is becoming a 'proper decent' lad (player) and fair play to him. Draw was possibly a fair result, either side could have won the game.

Amos is mentioned a lot on this thread.....he is OK, nothing more - he should not, and is not, a 'full' first team choice. He lacks some key qualities. Working hard is a 'given' for me.
Just back on 13:25 - Nov 3 with 3106 viewsTGRRRSSS

Brilliant to get the pint a tricky game decent opponent a place we rarely do well at.

What does Bonne do?

Was very poor and disinterested, should be told to train alone in my vieqw and hopefully we get rid in January.
Just back on 13:26 - Nov 3 with 3100 viewsgolborne

Just back on 07:46 - Nov 3 by distortR

Bonne can usually be found marking the space behind the last defender.

Bonne was splitting space well up top, often on his own, while we became more compact behind him. He did all that was asked of him and like others played his part. Well done my TEAM
Just back on 14:21 - Nov 3 with 2896 viewsdannyblue

The way Tim carries and accelerates is wonderful. His shots are always good connections. And his mid-long passing is often crisp. He will obviously be a great player. Not for us though.

But...

Again, last night, he left us in hot water at least a couple times which could have cost us.

The flurry of corners at the end from which they hit the post came from him losing posession by leaving the ball to another player and Norwich knicking it. There can be a timidity that manifests in underhit short passes or leaving the ball...as he gets more assertive and confident I expect this will diminish.

And the Seny save from the inside left channel 3 minutes from the end...that all came from Tim having won a good tackle, but then failing to get back up the pitch, so playing all of Norwich onside when they attacked again. On TV you can only just see this (I was trying to work out why we were suddenly so overrun), but perhaps at the game you'd have seen it differently.

And...

His shots while well struck are too often wild and near post for my tastes.
Just back on 15:37 - Nov 3 with 2665 viewskensalriser

Shout out to Chair for being the defender who snuffed out Cantwell's solo break. Worth at least one of Seny's saves.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024