Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Intensity#2 22:13 - Jan 2 with 4894 viewsoldmeadoniansR

What an unbelievable difference. The first half was incredible. Every first ball, every second ball and all the balls in between. Played quicker, plated braver, played with spirit. A complete transformation. Sheffield United looked ordinary. So good to see. Pride is vack in this team. Sure, the last minute goal is a gutter but I think this is bigger than that. Many; including myself were predicting a really tough remainder of the season. This shows what can ve done. Great credit to all involved. The nanager the players the fans. Ok I may be getting carried away but this felt like a completely different team. Great to see.
Intensity#2 on 22:46 - Jan 2 with 3684 viewsMrSheen

The early goal made all the difference. We looked on for a hiding based on the first ten minutes.
Intensity#2 on 23:47 - Jan 2 with 3446 viewsDWQPR

For me we created the better chances and played the better football. United weee bereft of ideas right up to the end when limping became their only option given the height of some of their players. Reading Critchley’s notes in the programme he said he likes his teams to play on the front foot and that is certainly what we saw tonight. With a bit more luck from deflected shots we could have had three or four goals against a team where one player cost them £22million. And I think a special mention should go to Ossie Kakay, who I thought played his best game for the club tonight. Solid at the back and looked a real threat going forward. If he can keep to that standard then if Laird does go back then we won’t miss him.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Intensity#2 on 23:50 - Jan 2 with 3430 viewsDejR_vu

The starting 11, possibly barring Willock who looks out of sorts, were all superb.

We have to do that every game, not just the odd one here and there. If we play like that every week, we’ll get in the play-offs, if we play like we did against Luton, we could be staring down the barrel

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Intensity#2 on 23:54 - Jan 2 with 3411 viewsloneranger1

Intensity#2 on 23:50 - Jan 2 by DejR_vu

The starting 11, possibly barring Willock who looks out of sorts, were all superb.

We have to do that every game, not just the odd one here and there. If we play like that every week, we’ll get in the play-offs, if we play like we did against Luton, we could be staring down the barrel

Agreed!
Sorry for accidental down vote, fat fingers!
Intensity#2 on 05:11 - Jan 3 with 3234 viewsbongo_king

Agreed on the intensity - only saw the first half due to game starting at 11pm here, but we looked like the only team in it after a slightly nervy first 10. Makes me wonder - we heard there was a bug going round during Luton game - was the lack of intensity there partly due several players being ill?
Either way, complete transformation in just 3 days and good to see Chair, Willock and Paal teaming up again on the left.
Intensity#2 on 10:26 - Jan 3 with 2957 viewsBurnleyhoop

“Maximum effort is the minimum requirement “

An old Sean Dyche quote and never a truer word spoken.

We have, on many occasions been guilty of limp, disinterested performances and got the results we deserved. I’m sure many fans watching that game last night were wondering why we haven’t played with that level of intensity since, I don’t know, October.

Many have said it, but we lack a consistency and desire to go out and put that much effort in on a regular basis. Injuries, Beale gate and illness are all likely contributing factors, but we have to maintain some form of momentum if we are to get back amongst the pack.

Hopefully last night was another corner turned and it puts that belief and confidence back into the squad that had clearly fallen off a cliff.

A pleasantly surprising start to the New Year which really needs to be followed up by a cup win and a decent run in the championship through Jan and Feb.

Hope springs eternal.
Intensity#2 on 10:35 - Jan 3 with 2926 viewsRs_Holy

I was totally gutted last night but having reflected on the performance I feel a lot more positive this morning.
Big improvements all round and its good to see Dykes and Kakay having top performances.
Hope the gaffer plays a reserve side in the cup and we concentrate fully on the fakes match.
Intensity#2 on 10:36 - Jan 3 with 2918 viewsPinnerPaul

Intensity#2 on 22:46 - Jan 2 by MrSheen

The early goal made all the difference. We looked on for a hiding based on the first ten minutes.

Yes, after the first 3 minutes, I turned to my neighbour and said "it looks like another long night"

But games aren't won after 3 minutes, or 90 sadly!
Login to get fewer ads

Intensity#2 on 10:36 - Jan 3 with 2920 viewsdaveB

first 10 mins I thought was no different to Luton but we then scored first which completely changed the game, we had something to hold onto and you could see the players grow in confidence.
Intensity#2 on 10:36 - Jan 3 with 2919 viewsNorthernr

And this is the frustration a lot of us have - they can do it.
Intensity#2 on 10:41 - Jan 3 with 2884 viewsPinnerPaul

Intensity#2 on 10:36 - Jan 3 by Northernr

Welcome back from your (1 day) holiday

Agree - the technical bits:- formation, form, right team selection etc can come and go - we all get that - but no one needs to be 'confident' , 'on form', 'mentally at it' or whatever to execute that high press, run around a bit and throw in a few tactical fouls - all of which were totally lacking v Burnley and Luton.
Intensity#2 on 10:45 - Jan 3 with 2872 viewsdaveB

we get far too affected as a team by the first goal. If they get it last night you have another hiding on your hands, we get it and we look a different team. Luton away last season last time we've come from behind to win a game, Preston in October 2021 last time we did it at home.
Intensity#2 on 10:47 - Jan 3 with 2869 viewsNorthernr

Intensity#2 on 10:45 - Jan 3 by daveB

we get far too affected as a team by the first goal. If they get it last night you have another hiding on your hands, we get it and we look a different team. Luton away last season last time we've come from behind to win a game, Preston in October 2021 last time we did it at home.

Writing the match preview for me here.
Intensity#2 on 10:50 - Jan 3 with 2849 viewsnix

Wow that's a hell of a stat!
Intensity#2 on 10:53 - Jan 3 with 2834 viewsHunterhoop

Exactly. We are the opposite of “mentality monsters” as managers seem keen on calling mental fortitude now.

This team has the ability in terms of talent and fitness to compete with everyone in the league. But we’re soft.

We don’t influence the referee. We don’t get under the skin of the oppo. We often aren’t as physical as we need to be or could be. We don’t assert ourselves on the oppo. We don’t position ourselves as the physically dominant team and instead are dominated. We play like athletic young boys playing against hard, gnarly men. And because we don’t get in the ref’s ear we don’t get the protection we need. Either we must become more physical OR we must start influencing the ref.

Last night they all put in a real shift and worked ever so hard. No doubt. And credit for this. But we would have won that game had they been in the ref’s ear. The free kick at the end was never a free kick and the ref would have blown before the goal. Sheffield Utd refereed the last 10 minutes.
Intensity#2 on 11:06 - Jan 3 with 2787 viewsnix

I agree with you. Hunter we're not vocal enough on the pitch.

We need to do our bit too in the crowd. I'm sure the crowd can influence refs about free kicks etc.
Intensity#2 on 11:57 - Jan 3 with 2712 viewsquickpassrotter

Intensity#2 on 10:53 - Jan 3 by Hunterhoop

Exactly. We are the opposite of “mentality monsters” as managers seem keen on calling mental fortitude now.

This team has the ability in terms of talent and fitness to compete with everyone in the league. But we’re soft.

We don’t influence the referee. We don’t get under the skin of the oppo. We often aren’t as physical as we need to be or could be. We don’t assert ourselves on the oppo. We don’t position ourselves as the physically dominant team and instead are dominated. We play like athletic young boys playing against hard, gnarly men. And because we don’t get in the ref’s ear we don’t get the protection we need. Either we must become more physical OR we must start influencing the ref.

Last night they all put in a real shift and worked ever so hard. No doubt. And credit for this. But we would have won that game had they been in the ref’s ear. The free kick at the end was never a free kick and the ref would have blown before the goal. Sheffield Utd refereed the last 10 minutes.

Couldn't agree with you more Hunterhoop. Apart from a couple , we don't look a physical enough side for this aggressive league. Also, as pointed out - where is the gnarl ? The likes of Derry and Hill were fearsome opponents both physically and verbally. A mate of mine (ironically a Sheffield Utd supporter) said that our winning team under Warnock was a ''dirty'' side. I laughed but he said that we were very physical, put the foot in, won all our individual battles and then gave it to Adel to produce his consistent magic. Later we had the likes of Barton (love him or loath him), O'Neil and Dunne (and others) who stood up and relished the physical battle. OK - that's going back a bit but the likes of Amos and Dozzell just do not have the physicality. We are a very quiet side compared to others too. We need to compete better on the physicality aspect and not just on the skill levels. How many of our players are considered to be ''a bit nasty'' by the opposition across the league ? I can think of at least 5 from Sheff Utd last night - if not more.
Intensity#2 on 12:03 - Jan 3 with 2668 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Wow, that's incredible.
Intensity#2 on 12:09 - Jan 3 with 2654 viewsflynnbo

Didn’t we beat Reading at home in October having conceded the first goal?
Intensity#2 on 12:51 - Jan 3 with 2605 viewsAntti_Heinola

Intensity#2 on 10:53 - Jan 3 by Hunterhoop

Agree with parts of this, but Sheff didn't referee the game. He played the correct amount of injury time and didn't see much wrong with his decisions.
Proud of our team for NOT harassing the ref. That's how all teams should be.

Bare bones.

Intensity#2 on 13:00 - Jan 3 with 2570 viewsQPR_John

Intensity#2 on 12:51 - Jan 3 by Antti_Heinola

Agree with parts of this, but Sheff didn't referee the game. He played the correct amount of injury time and didn't see much wrong with his decisions.

But that’s the world we live in. Clearly being in the refs ear works so we have to get involved. It is up to the aurthorities to stamp it out. However if they ever do you can bet we will be the first team to suffer from it.
Intensity#2 on 13:47 - Jan 3 with 2515 viewsOldPedro

Intensity#2 on 13:00 - Jan 3 by QPR_John

But that’s the world we live in. Clearly being in the refs ear works so we have to get involved. It is up to the aurthorities to stamp it out. However if they ever do you can bet we will be the first team to suffer from it.

We have tried - Birmingham away this season - Hannibal commits a bad foul and should have been a 2nd yellow. Dickie starts complaining at the ref - ref lets Hannibal off and books Dickie for dissent

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Intensity#2 on 13:55 - Jan 3 with 2479 viewsdaveB

Intensity#2 on 12:09 - Jan 3 by flynnbo

Didn’t we beat Reading at home in October having conceded the first goal?

bugger, yeah we did
Intensity#2 on 14:16 - Jan 3 with 2425 viewsgolborne

Intensity#2 on 11:57 - Jan 3 by quickpassrotter

Couldn't agree with you more Hunterhoop. Apart from a couple , we don't look a physical enough side for this aggressive league. Also, as pointed out - where is the gnarl ? The likes of Derry and Hill were fearsome opponents both physically and verbally. A mate of mine (ironically a Sheffield Utd supporter) said that our winning team under Warnock was a ''dirty'' side. I laughed but he said that we were very physical, put the foot in, won all our individual battles and then gave it to Adel to produce his consistent magic. Later we had the likes of Barton (love him or loath him), O'Neil and Dunne (and others) who stood up and relished the physical battle. OK - that's going back a bit but the likes of Amos and Dozzell just do not have the physicality. We are a very quiet side compared to others too. We need to compete better on the physicality aspect and not just on the skill levels. How many of our players are considered to be ''a bit nasty'' by the opposition across the league ? I can think of at least 5 from Sheff Utd last night - if not more.

Quote from Paul Heckingbottom post match "We decided at Half-time to make the match ugly and stop the fluidity of the game".

Is this what you want to pay money to watch?

That bunch of next Tuesdays haven't had a proper flare player as the focal heart of their team for the near 40 years I've been watching them. They haven't produced one either. Their style of play has also been the same for that period. Gnarly, in your face with little guile. Now and again it's clicked for them, but it's horrible to watch.
When I saw his interview last night I was so proud of my team and club, that despite the considerable lows over the years, we haven't lowered ourselves to knuckle dragging ankle biting football.
"We decided to make it ugly" what sort of comment is that in 2023. We decided that if we tried to play football as all want to see it against this team with 2 goals to their name in 8, or 9, we're gonna get done. Future's looking bright for them next year....
Intensity#2 on 18:01 - Jan 3 with 2300 viewsPinnerPaul

Intensity#2 on 12:51 - Jan 3 by Antti_Heinola

We agree again!

Its a bit of a football myth IMHO.

These refs have done hundreds of games, thousands the older ones.

The GK handball for example, both teams went to the referee, Sheff to try to convince him it wasn't handball, and/or Dykes fouled the GK and/or it wasn't a red and we to try to convince him it was a red - totally pointless, he had given the foul, it was never a red, so surrounding the referee achieved nothing, as it never does.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024