Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford United Ipswich Town 18:43 - Jan 23 with 3264 viewsterryb

According to the BBC, the referee Bobby Madden told both managers on Saturday that if he abandoned the match due to fog, the 1-1 scoreline would stand. Both sides wanted it abandoned & the game replayed, but Ipswich preferred to try to win three points rather than gain one.

I find it hard to believe that the EFL have brought this in as a rule & it certainly wouldn't be up to the referee to decide the outcome. Perhaps Mr. Madden will be in deep s**t if this is confirmed.

EDIT All reports in Ipswich support this report, but the Oxford United official report states that the referee informed both managers on 50 & 75 minutes that he could see perfectly ok even if they couldn't. No mention that he said a 1-1 draw would stand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64272531
[Post edited 23 Jan 2023 19:02]
Oxford United Ipswich Town on 22:05 - Jan 23 with 2884 viewsBoston

I certainly found the vids posted by supporters to clearly show, very little!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Oxford United Ipswich Town on 22:53 - Jan 23 with 2789 viewsNorthernr

Many moons ago we lost 2-1 at Wolves under Holloway in a monsoon. Absolutely not playable, second half was a farce. Lee Probert was referee and Holloway said he'd told him he "didn't feel able to call it off while Wolves were ahead". Now, it's Holloway, so pinch of salt. But, also, it's Probert, who was a fcking knobber, so maybe.
Oxford United Ipswich Town on 23:15 - Jan 23 with 2733 viewsstowmarketrange

How can the result stand if they haven’t played the full 90 mins?It would have to be replayed at a later date surely?
Oxford United Ipswich Town on 08:02 - Jan 24 with 2485 viewsTheChef

Oxford United Ipswich Town on 22:53 - Jan 23 by Northernr

Many moons ago we lost 2-1 at Wolves under Holloway in a monsoon. Absolutely not playable, second half was a farce. Lee Probert was referee and Holloway said he'd told him he "didn't feel able to call it off while Wolves were ahead". Now, it's Holloway, so pinch of salt. But, also, it's Probert, who was a fcking knobber, so maybe.

Think I remember that one - somehow we had Scott Donnelly playing. For whatever reason the home fans that day were especially loud/aggy, some of the loudest whistling I've ever heard in a stadium!

https://www.11v11.com/matches/wolverhampton-wanderers-v-queens-park-rangers-23-o

Frankie Simek and Serge Branco too?!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Oxford United Ipswich Town on 10:29 - Jan 24 with 2365 viewsterryb

Oxford United Ipswich Town on 23:15 - Jan 23 by stowmarketrange

How can the result stand if they haven’t played the full 90 mins?It would have to be replayed at a later date surely?

I would have thought so as well Stow, but Mckenna is reported as saying that the referee stated this.

Even if he did say it, you would have thought that the managers/clubs should have known better. Although I have little regard to the intelligence of match officials, on reflection, I'm struggling to think that any official would have risked their career by stating competition rules that don't exist. Not knowing the rule I could believe!
Oxford United Ipswich Town on 10:55 - Jan 24 with 2310 viewsstanistheman

The conditions were iffy from the start of the 2nd half and should have been abandoned. They gradually got worse and still not abandoned. I’m not quite sure at what point the ref thought that was playable and it shouldn’t have been left to the managers to decide. The ref should have taken charge and abandoned it.

However, I don’t think the EFL of the Referee hierarchy will take any action and will just carry on as usual.
Oxford United Ipswich Town on 11:03 - Jan 24 with 2288 viewsLongsufferingR

Some funny comments on that article:

DellBoy
23:00 21 Jan
I'm still in the Kassam, has it finished yet?

Best bit was the hone end singing "we can't see you sneaking out" to the Ipswich fans after we scored the winner.
Oxford United Ipswich Town on 11:12 - Jan 24 with 2259 viewsthame_hoops

remember this game well, as away fans we were in the lower tier along the sideline. always thought away fans went behind the goal at Molineoux
Login to get fewer ads

Oxford United Ipswich Town on 12:24 - Jan 24 with 2175 viewsTheChef

Oxford United Ipswich Town on 11:12 - Jan 24 by thame_hoops

remember this game well, as away fans we were in the lower tier along the sideline. always thought away fans went behind the goal at Molineoux

Think they changed that a while ago - was behind the goal till the late 90s but since early 00s it's the side stand (which is crap for generating any atmosphere - funnily enough).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Oxford United Ipswich Town on 13:55 - Jan 24 with 2014 viewsR_from_afar

I was at that game and remember some players deliberately stamping in puddles to put off opponents

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Oxford United Ipswich Town on 14:24 - Jan 24 with 1924 viewsPinnerPaul

Terry is right, no way on earth can a referee decide the outcome/awarding of points in a match that is not completed - for any reason - at any level.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024